4 MINUTES AGO #DailyGiveaway: 2 gems get an IceDiamond+ Bluetooth speaker from #Yantouch: http://t.co/QH3fWXMnOg

AN HOUR AGO 5 reasons we're thankful for our bestie, @bellathorne: http://t.co/uXWNbc9dQT

13 HOURS AGO You know you wanna wear a sweater on Thanksgiving...here's how to rock it: http://t.co/hhSGNIzUT6

COMMENTS

4 steps to a pool-perfect period

Your bestie is dyin’ to go to the pool, but that monthly nuisance just showed up to put a damper on your swimmin’ style. You’re thinkin’ of...

mod mod mod! i went to the pool yesterday, and I was worried about getting blood on my new bikini. and , i need some 411 pronto. im only 9, and i am having my period. help?

Hey girl!

The only way you can go swimming while on your period is to use a tampon. I know it can be scary, especially because you're so young, but it's the best way to go. There are directions in every box on how to put one in, so check those out. Plus, you can always ask your mom, a trusted adult, or friend to help you too.

Rachael A.

by mariahk on 8/6/2012 11:37:17 AM

PLEASE HELP ME!
Today........ I was just at home watching TV and i felt like i was dripping 'down there' so i went to the bathroom, and i saw this big red spot on my underwear. Is this my period? I havent had the period talk with my mum yet so idk what to do. I put on a pad, but idk how long im supposed to leave it on cause my rents took a vacay to florida for the week. HELP PLEASE... and my stomach hurts reallyyy badd! What am i supposed to do about my stomach? And i have a pool party to go to tomorrow so how can i go swiming?

Hey girlie,

Yes, this does sound like your period! Since you can't talk to your mom about what to do, is there someone else (a friend who has their period, an older sibling/cousin, a friend's parent that you trust, a school nurse) you can talk to and ask questions? Either way, check out our Periods, Period question for lots of info: http://www.girlslife.com/category/periods-period.aspx To answer your questions:

- Usually, you can leave your pad on for about 5-6 hours. But if you're using a regular sized pad and your period "flow" is heavy, you'll have to change it more often and might leak onto your underwear. The best thing to do is to check it often and be prepared to change your pad way more regularly.

- For your stomach, try taking 2 Advil, Midol, Pamprin, or Tylenol. These will help make the pain less intense! You could also get a hot water bottle or a microwavable heat pad and rest it over your lower belly. The heat helps your muscles relax.

- To swim during your period, you CANNOT use pads. You'll need to learn how to use tampons - check out our tampon guides here:

Lauren C.

by Jennamaize13 on 8/5/2012 1:40:20 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I got my first period cramps on Thursday, and they were the first ones I ever had! But, no period. On Friday night, I was babysitting and I went to the restroom. I saw a little red dot, but I was really confused, because I knew it was spotting, but I was wondering if it meant my period was coming? My Mom said, "Meh, must've just been thread or something." So I just forgot about it. But last night, I went to the bathroom, and there were more little red spots (like maybe this big ".") and there were some really little red smears mixed in with my discharge. I know that was definitely spotting. Also, I got cramps last night. Does this mean my period is coming REALLY soon? Or do I still have a while? I'm around 100 pounds, I have spotting and cramps (obvi), armpit and pubic hair, and I have horrible acne and a TON of discharge right now. Please reply ASAP! Thank-you!

I think you're getting your period VERY soon. Especially since you have so much spotting and are feeling cramps. I would stock up on tampons and pads if I were you. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by purple10115 on 8/4/2012 7:12:33 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!
so i just got my period, today! and it's so new to me haha, but i am using pads, and we are going camping on a lake soon. my favorite lake. i really wanna swim, but i can't. should i try tampons or menstral cups? PLEASE HELPPP!

Hey girl,

You could try tampons, but don't worry if you can't get the hang of them on your first period! You can still hang by the lake and join the camping fun Smile

Meghan D.

by vintage50 on 8/3/2012 10:23:08 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I am going to a cross country camp when I will have my period. We will be doing a ton of activities all day such as swimming, hiking,campfires, etc. How will I be able to change my tampon discreetly because I do not want to carry a tampon pouch around all day. How can I sneak them with me?

Hey chica! You'll probably be carrying a backpack around for your towel, water bottle, and sunscreen, so just slip it in there.  If not, ask your counselor to hold onto it.  She'll be able to hand out he stuff when you need it and keep it hidden away when you don't.  xoxo

Kate G.

by Catlover4723 on 8/3/2012 12:02:20 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm turning 14 in 2 months, and I think I'm going to get my period this week or in 3-4 weeks because yesterday, I got these really weird cramps that were super low. So I asked my Mom about it, and she said that those were period cramps! Those were my first period cramps (and I am still getting them today!) I also am getting REALLY heavy discharge, and I have all the signs of my period. I get all the period symptoms around the same time my mom gets her period, so that's why I think it's either this week or in 3-4 weeks. You get cramps like 2-3 days before your period, right? Is it the same thing with your first period? I never had period cramps before yesterday... sorry this was so long Laughing Please reply ASAP!

Hey girlie,

Some girls do get cramps just before their periods, that's true! And some girls get cramps before their very first period too, but others don't. It's different for every girl! It sounds like you're right on track and moving through puberty in a healthy way, but unfortunately it's totally impossible to predict when you'll get your period! Even cramps aren't a sure sign, because you could get cramps without a period (or they could be gassy cramps - they kinda feel the same sometimes). Just keep an eye on it and try to relax. You'll know when you get your first period because you'll see the "evidence" in your undies! In the meantime, learn lots about periods and stock up on supplies so you're never caught off guard <3 It'll come when your bod is ready!
Lauren C.

by purple10115 on 8/2/2012 11:05:03 PM

Mod mod mod.
Hi I am home alone and I have my period and I just realized that there are no more pass in the house and I'm not allowed to run to the store and get some. I called my mum (who is at work) and she said I can't go to the store and I can just use her disposable menstrual cups. I didn't have the courage to ask her what that was so I just said ok. I found them fine but I have no idea what the heck they are and how to use them? Can u please help me?

Hey girl! I would suggest using folded up tissue paper for now. xxoo
Maggie P.

by fantastic8805 on 8/2/2012 2:21:41 PM

Have had my period for a while, and my mom keeps pushing me to try tampons and I am so that I could swimming. They are okay when I'm standing, but when I sit down it because really uncomfortable and I can't sit up straight because putting pressure on "down there" becomes almost painful. What did I do wrong and how can I fix it so I can use them regularly?

It sounds like you could either be not inserting the tampon correctly or the tampon is the incorrect size. Each box comes with instructions so make sure you are taking the correct steps. Also, try using a different size (use a regular instead of super ect). Tampons should not be uncomfortable, if you keep having problems I would consider talking to a doctor.

Kerra S.

by proarchergal42 on 7/28/2012 11:47:47 PM

ok so im going to beach in a couple of weeks. thats around when im supposed to get my period. its supposed to come around halfway through the trip. by then ill have been swimming a ton, so will i get it? even if late? last year i was towards the end of my period when we went and then after i swam in the ocean, it went away.
please answer! thanks so much!

Hey girl!

The water has no effect on your period. If you are comfortable using tampons then your period won't hinder you from swimming the rest of your vacation. But if you only wear pads, you'll have to sit out from swimming.
Rachael A.

by briblue3 on 7/27/2012 3:37:46 PM

Mod mod mod mod!
I am 13 and I've been getting discharge for a little over 18 months with no period. I read on this website that if u have had boobs for two years or discharge for 18 months and no period that u have to see your doctor cuz something might not be right! What should I do?

Hey girlie,

Every girl's bod is different - and while discharge, boobs, and other puberty changes ARE signs that your period could be on the way, it's tough to tell for sure. (Even doctors can't guarantee when you'll get it!) Most girls get their periods before the age of 16. If you go a few more years with no period, it might be smart to chat with your doctor to see what's going on. It's always good to make sure you're progressing normally and you're healthy! But for now, I wouldn't worry. Try to be patient and learn about periods right now, so you're totally prepared when it comes. Smile
Lauren C.