10 HOURS AGO This #GLgirl gives you the scoop on gorg glowing skin: http://t.co/iY3iYtAtF7

13 HOURS AGO Currently swooning over these adorbs beach bags: http://t.co/GT2oH9Il1x

14 HOURS AGO Unleash your inner bookworm with our fave award-winning reads: http://t.co/WVbM9Uj7aj

COMMENTS

4 steps to a pool-perfect period

Your bestie is dyin’ to go to the pool, but that monthly nuisance just showed up to put a damper on your swimmin’ style. You’re thinkin’ of...

MOD ! MOD ! MOD ! MOD !
I think that I might be getting my period. I haven't seen any blood yet, but my stomach has been hurting, my boobs are kinda tender, I'm having mood swings, cramps, etc. I googled it, and these are all signs. I'm 12, do you think I'm about to get my period? Should I wear a pantyliner in case? Please help xo

Hey chica, sounds like you could be about to get your period. The average ages when most gals to get theirs is between 11 and 14 years old, so you're right in there. You could wear a pantyliner for a few days, and then if there's no change in the color or amount of your discharge, don't worry about it for a while.
Carrie R.

by rosierosie on 6/27/2012 1:15:28 PM

MODMODMODMOD!!!!!
I was complaining about my back hurting and my mom said i might start my period. Now what kind of tampon can i use, im a size small in womens. Should i use regular, or slim fit? Im going on a nine hour drive to iowa and back today to pick up family, please reply asap!!!!!

Hey babe!

Take deeeeep breaths. It's okay!! First of all, you don't know for sure if you're going to get your period. But it's best to be prepared. I don't actually use tampons (I use pads) so I suggest talking to your mom about which tampon brand she suggests. It's best to have a variety since you don't know what to expect (if it's your first time).
Kelly G.

by YayaYuiki on 6/27/2012 8:26:04 AM

MOD MOD MOD!
I'm going on vacation to the beach this week for 2 days, but I have my period! I'm leaving tomorrow and I have never used a tampon, and I really don't want to so please don't tell me to just try itTong....anyways can I just wear a pad in my bikini bottoms with some athletic shorts over them and try not to get wet? Please tell me what to do!!!!! Thanks so much<3

by Paramoregurl on 6/26/2012 5:57:40 PM

MOD MOD MOD (:
I have a tampon prob. I've tried (many many times) to use a tampon. I've been using plastic ones and trying when my flow is heaviest. I can get the applicator in no problem, but when I try to push the actual tampon up, I get the feeling that I'm going to faint. I feel lightheaded and like I may throw up. Then I have to go lay down and try again the next day because I'm too afraid to try again the same day. :/ I'm thinking that this problem may be caused by nerves but I really want to start wearing tampons. Any advice that could possibly help me out? Thanks!!

Hey! Sorry about all this stress, that sounds really hard! I would just advise you to keep breathing and thinking about yourself succeeding and how glad you'll be. Maybe try when your flow isn't as heavy because the blood might be making you feel faint. Good luck!
Helen S.

by smiley.<3 on 6/26/2012 5:39:22 PM

Why are you so eager to use tampons? Are you not afraid that you might accidentally hurt yourself? Don't you think pads are much easier? Maggie P.

by sassyclassycat on 6/26/2012 4:56:41 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm afraid to where pads. plus, i tried a normal sized one on but it didn't fit. what should i do?

Hey girl! Don't be afraid, pads are totally easy to wear and very convenient.  If a normal one didn't fit, try a pantyliner.  They are thinner and may be more comfortable for you.  xxoo
Maggie P.

by jster on 6/26/2012 4:52:15 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
so i do a LOT of activities, and none of them are cheap(all of them are at least $150) anyways, my parents insist that I shouldn't have to help pay for them because "a kid shouldn't worry about money" and "we can handle the budget". but i'm not a kid anymore, I'm 15 years old!! my mom is getting a new job soon, and then we'll have more room for money, but i still feel extremely guilty! all of it probably costs at LEAST $2000. my grandmother is going to start paying me to help her with things around the house, like cleaning. i'm hoping that if the money adds up, they will let me use it to help pay for my activities. how can i convince them to let me help out?

Hey girl!  It's really nice of you to want to help your parents out with paying for your activities.  If your parents assure that they can handle it, don't feel guilty.  But earning some extra cash seems like a great idea and your parents will definitely be impressed that you want to help out Smile xxoo
Maggie P.

by karategirl78 on 6/26/2012 4:22:12 PM

MOD
I dont have my period yet and call me crazy but i wish it would hurry im 12 and still dont have it like most other girls do. i know everyone devolopes at a different pace and its not a problem unless ur 16 and havent had it yet, but i really wish it would hurry

Hey girl!  I know you can totally feel like you want to grow up, but don't worry.  You will get your period when it's the right time for you body.  Just stay healthy and it will come!  As for now, embrace not having to deal with PMS! xxoo
Maggie P.

by bunnybaby on 6/26/2012 2:53:10 PM

MOD! MOD! MOD!
I mentioned tampons to my mom, and asked if i could use one so that i could go swimming? and she kind of just brushed it off, like she doesn't think i should use them. but it's summer and i don't want to go a week without swimming every month! what should i do?

Hey girl!  Why don't you sit down with your mom and have a real discussion about using tampons?  Tell her that you don't want to miss out on swimming every month!  She will hopefully understand and be flexible.  Good luck! xxoo
Maggie P.

by sarabieber1799 on 6/26/2012 2:02:37 PM

MOD MOD! Im 13 and it seems like my Mom dosnt want me using tampons... Whenever were thinking of going to the pool or are going I tell my Mom"how am I going to swim? I'm on my period".... And all she says is " you cant..."
Why cant I use them? My cousin said she started using them at my age...

Hey girl!  Tampons are totally useful, but maybe your mom wants you to stick with pads for now.  Why don't you have a convo with your mom about using tampons?  She may be worried that you're growing up too fast, but I'm sure she doesn't want you to miss out on summer fun!  Let her know that you are serious about the matter, and I'm sure she will understand.  When you do start using tampons, check out this link for some helpful tips Smile http://www.girlslife.com/post/2009/06/23/007-Period-Advice.aspx xoxo

Maggie P.