5 HOURS AGO 5 quick and delish breakfasts for those rushed school mornings: http://t.co/nXdvamToKK

8 HOURS AGO 3 teas to cure your cold: http://t.co/zYSGlhia8d

8 HOURS AGO Happy Halloween! #turnup #hocuspocus #halloween http://t.co/6wS0e0H4cs

COMMENTS

4 steps to a pool-perfect period

Your bestie is dyin’ to go to the pool, but that monthly nuisance just showed up to put a damper on your swimmin’ style. You’re thinkin’ of...

Honestly by the time you hit high school guys don't care about periods anymore they know whats going on so if they end up finding y=out they don't say anything my BGF can usually tell by my mood when its my time of the month

by Dizzy Little Dreamer on 6/19/2013 1:12:09 AM

My best excuse is when you say, "I better go get some more sunscreen and i'll go to the bathroom while i'm at it!All this water really filled me up!" Works everytime!!!Plus, you can grab your beach bag to avoid awkwardness!!!

by pinterest on 2/19/2013 9:31:32 PM

Thanks for the article, GL!!! I am a diver - like, a springboard diver, not a scuba diver, so... I'm going to have to learn to insert a tampon right away, and it's going to be awkward...

Karin E.

by Sarah510 on 1/28/2013 9:50:56 AM

So I got my period yesterday and Got it alot and I got it low flow, Today I didn't get it, is anything wrong?!

Hey girlie,

I don't think anything is wrong, it might have just been a light month! There's no harm in talking to your mom or a doc to be sure, though.

Meghan D.

by doglover463 on 1/18/2013 9:09:37 PM

Mod mod mod

Hey girl,

I'm really not an expert on this, so you should speak with your doctor about that ASAP for a professional opinion. They will know what to say and what it is!

Meghan D.

by Lbradshaw35 on 1/5/2013 8:20:50 PM

I've been really stressed for almost a year now because I have a LOT of signs that my period is coming but I haven't gotten it! I don't want it to happen at a random time, especially at school cause I'm not prepared at all. Frown Help on getting prepared?. Thanks .

The first time you get your period, it's usually very light. So even if you do get it in school, it's not a big deal. Just make sure you keep tampons/pads (whatever your more comfortable with) in your locker. And always keep one in your purse if you're ever out.
mailyse f.

by jerjer6 on 12/7/2012 4:09:13 PM

MODMODMOD
So I've been having discharge since sixth grade, but I still haven't started my period- and I'm in eighth grade now! Should I be worried?
~Thanks

Hey Girlie, discharge is to clean everything out and even if you aren't on your period, you should be getting it. if you're itchy down there, though it could be a sign of a yeast infection and you should get checked out by a doctor.

Hannah H.

Hannah H.

by mlink98 on 12/6/2012 4:02:03 PM

I am 11, and I am nervous. I am to scared to talk about it, and I dont even have it yet. what should I do?

by gin15 on 11/20/2012 7:24:15 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!
Hey(: what is the best kinda pad you can buy I'm using the teen Kotex but they are really uncomfortable???? Awsner me ASAP!!

Hey Girl, every girl has a different opinion. Try a few to figure out what you like.

Hannah H.

Hannah H.

by Savannah278 on 11/6/2012 10:46:57 AM

i am soo afraid of using tampons, and ma mom has helped me so many times now im scared to ask her to help me but everytime i start ma period i go try put it ma self and then i remember maself trying to remove it bec its really painful .....................plzzzzzzzzz help me

Hey lovy, you don't have to wear tampons girl, there are pads. I prefer those because they're much more comfortable and easier to put on. Check out some Always products. Xoxo

Lynae P.

by lovy on 10/28/2012 12:43:18 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Lynae P.
Sorry I didn't see u reply to my comment, anyways I'm the girl who was along if u could use famous for your first period and how I could ask this guy I really like to come with me to oh yeah and u were asking me what my relationship with him was likr
We're good friends, we've know each other since 4'th grade and our parents were friends since college. The only reason I'm nervous to ask him to come with me to the dance is because I'm scared its going to ruin our friendship, I'm scared that if I ask him and he says no, it'll be so awkward and that if I ask him and he says yea and we end up dating then breaking up it will so be wired cause our parents work at the same place, so we spend Christmas/Easter/and Halloween together every year.

Hey Swift_lover123, well try asking him to the dance as a friend. If things go great at the dance take it from there. Start flirting a little more and ask him to hang. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by Swift_lover123 on 10/21/2012 11:41:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Can you use tampons during your first period? Cause some ppl say that u have to wait a year till u use them, but I want to try it now cause I do lots of sports
(Dance, gymnastics,volleyball) also this is totally off topic, but I really like this guy and I was thinking of asking him to go with me to our 8th grade dance, how should I ask him?
thank-you
~jenna

Hey Swift_lover123, yes you can use them during your first period. I know girls who did it and were fine. Tampons will work better for you anyway since you are involved with so many sports. What is your relationship like with this guy? Write me back girly. Xoxo

Lynae P.

by Swift_lover123 on 10/21/2012 1:34:41 AM

Well I've been having my period for about two years now, but I have never used a tampon. Its kinda embarrassing but I'm really scared about it. It just freaks me out and I'm afraid I'll like I something wrong and I've heard about how you can get TSS from leaving a tampon in for too long so im pretty scared about it. The problem is I go to the pool a lot during the summer and I go t a camp where we go swimming a lot, and I don't want to have to sit out! I don't know what to do... I feel like a wimp.

by Sunny79 on 10/2/2012 4:40:53 PM

Mod Mod Mod!
I just turned 14 but I still haven't had my period, but I have boobs, armpit and pubic hair, and I have had discharge for about a year! When will it come? I'm worried because around march I got a physical done and they said if it doesn't start by the time your 14 see your doctor. Also I started swim for my gym class and the teacher marks when you start your period and I'm embarrassed because I haven't started mine. Sorry this is so long.

Hannah H.

by scoot on 10/2/2012 1:43:37 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
How light can a period be? Also, is it normal to get spotting and cramps every month without even having your period before? I've never had my period before, but I think I'm really close because I'm 14 in a week and I have all the signs of puberty. I'm wondering if this is my period because it's been going for two months now and it always comes at around the same time, but I don't know how much blood is considered a period.... A little help here? Thanks!

Hey girlie,

Your period can be extremely light where you barely notice it, but more than spotting.  Spotting is very normal, but it is not your period.  I can't exactly tell you when you will get it but it does sound like it's on its way in the near future.  We've got a few articles on this if you're curious!
Jordan S.

by purple10115 on 9/21/2012 5:57:00 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I have had my period for like five months so I am still kinda new so I have some questions.
1. When I have my period it get's "messy" down there. Blood will be all over so I have to clean it hope with toilet paper! I shower twice a day but it doesn't help. I am still using pads since I am new and I have tried tampons but I want to mature a little first. What can I do to keep cleaner? It's gross. /:
2. I am very irregular still but for 5-7 weeks I have swimming lessons EVERY Friday! My parents are paying a lot so I just can't go. I don't know if I will get my period and if I do it may be light so I won't have to worry but what if I have to use a tampon? I tried and I am way too scared! My mom even tried helping!
3. I am so embarrassed of my period. With my friends I don't care because they kinda look up to me because I got it 1st. (UGH) But in front of my parents I am. My older sis isn't because she had it for years. How can I get over this?

Hey girl, 1) I think you're taking the right steps there: unfortunately periods are messy. Just shower daily and change your pad every couple of hours. You should be fine. 2) If you're on your period and swimming, you should use a tampon regardless. I know it's freaky, but think of the others in the pool (and your bathing suit bottom). It's way important to use something to keep it clean and in. If the tampon is too freaky now, you can always tell your instructor and they should understand. Periods are only a week, so you'd only miss one lesson a month. 3) Time is really the solution to that. Trust me when I say all girls get their periods eventually. You may be first, but your friends will catch up. You'll realize soon enough having a period is no biggie (just a bit of a pain sometimes, literally!) Try not to overthink it and just let it come and go.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by BabyDahl13 on 9/3/2012 7:02:02 PM

i started ma period when i waz 11 and i hav a swimming competion at school ..how do i know when ma tampon is full and im also scared of putting a tampon help please :

Hey girl,

Check out these links: http://www.girlslife.com/category/periods-period.aspx

Alexis G.

by lovy on 9/3/2012 11:27:43 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!
HELP,
Im about to go swimming with my bff so im changing my tampon before i go, but when i pull the string it hurts A LOT! Help?.!?

Hey girlie,

Your period is probably heavy, so it's making the tampon "bigger" because it's soaked up more liquid. I know it's scary at first, but it's normal for it to feel a little weird/uncomfy at first. Just hang onto the string and pull as firm as you can. It'll slide right out! Relax your muscles "down there" and wince your face if you have to - sometimes that makes dealing with discomfort easier. But the more you use tampons, the less it hurts because your muscles get used to it! Smile

Lauren C.

by Jennamaize13 on 8/23/2012 6:41:52 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I got the tampon in!!!!!! How long are you supposed to leave it in, because im going swiming today then im sleeping over at my friends house, how many tampons/pads should i bring?

Hey girl! It depends on how heavy your period is. If its not too heavy but not super light, I'd change it about every four hours (if you're swimming maybe right before you go in and when you get out). I would bring extra just in case though cause you never know when it'll get heavy. Bring six to be safe I suppose and a pad for overnight! Hope this helps! xoxo

Carly S.

by Jennamaize13 on 8/23/2012 4:41:48 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
What angle are you supposed to put it in? Because everytime i do it it feels like its hitting something. Help!

Hey chica! I know what you mean. It can definitely be difficult to get the hang of! Keep trying different angles until something feels right. Try looking at the instructions and diagrams in the box.   If that doesn't help try talking to another girl who has her period (maybe mom?)!  xoxo

Carly S.

by Jennamaize13 on 8/23/2012 4:29:48 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
It still hurts! I think it might be because of how im sitting. what other positions can you go in to put a tampon in? thanks

Hey girly! Check out this article on putting tampons in! I think it should really help! http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/12/21/I-cant-get-the-hang-of-tampons.aspx ! xoxo

Carly S.

by Jennamaize13 on 8/23/2012 2:34:53 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm trying to find out how to use a tampon because like i said before, the blood makes me feel sick,
Plus i really really want to go swimming today with my BFF. Problem is, when i try to put it in it hurts so much. Help?

Hey chica- check out this article for help! http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/10/08/How-To-Use-Tampon.aspx xoxo

by Jennamaize13 on 8/23/2012 1:54:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Whenever im on my period im tired ALL the time even if i've had like 12 hours of sleep. How do i fix this? Also recently got my first period and everytime i change my pad the blood makes me feel sick. How do i fix that?

Hey girlie! It'll take some time getting used to the blood, but if you use a tampon, it'll seem less like blood, so if you're ready for that, it might help. As for being tired, make sure you get enough iron when you have your period, which will help keep your energy levels up. xoxo

by Jennamaize13 on 8/23/2012 2:57:57 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
my first period ended about 2 weeks ago, but when i woke up this morning, blood had leaked all over my pajamas, my bed, my bedsheet and my underwear. Why am i having my period again? And whats the best way to get the stain out?

Hey girl! Periods can be irregular for the first couple months, so don't worry.  To get the stain out, ask your mom for help.  Trust me, she's probably had to deal with this once or twice herself. xoxo

by Jennamaize13 on 8/20/2012 11:52:05 AM

I wore a tampon cut the sring and everything but it stikllwasnt hidden and everybody(my friends) jkept pointing it out.

by hopie1215 on 8/16/2012 4:30:25 PM

Modmodmod
@ Meghan D
I already have pads and i really just want to know how to tell my mom over the phone.
Thanks!

Hey girl,

Just tell her straightforward, she will understand!

Meghan D.

by myipodrox16 on 8/10/2012 11:06:55 PM

modmodmod
please help!
i just started my period today and i have no idea what to do. Im with my dad right now and i wont see my mom for a week and a half. i can call her but i have no idea how to tell her. I'm really nervous what should i do? Please help!

Hey girl,

Start by telling your dad so that he can get you pads! Then when you see your mom you can tell her about it or you can call her later, but for right now you need to get pads asap so you will have to tell your dad!

Meghan D.

by myipodrox16 on 8/10/2012 10:45:20 PM

Hi! so im 11 and ive had my period for 5 weeks. I want 2 be able to swim while I have period. I want to try tampons but there kinda scary. how do I use them? write back!

Hey girl! Check out this article for help Smile http://www.girlslife.com/post/2009/06/23/007-Period-Advice.aspx

xxoo
Maggie P.

by tabithamh on 8/9/2012 2:31:08 PM

mod mod mod MOD MOD MOD MID MOD MOD!!!!!
Okhi, so I'm 14 and I've had my period for a year.. I really really really want to try tampons because pads are gross and uncomfortable, I've asked my mom if I could try them before but she said no, because I'm a virgin and it won't be able to go in.... I want to ask her again, but I'm afraid she'll say no, and have the same reason.... Any ideas to get here to say yes? (ps she uses tampons and I'm also on my period right now)
Thanks so much!!! Xoxoxo

Hey Girl--

Tampons can be tricky at first but are definitely worth it. Tell your mom that playing sports and swimming will be way easier without worrying about leaks. Also, suggest using some lubricating gel to help-- virgins can use tampons too.if she does say no, make sure you remain respectful and don't whine.
simone s.

by Tayincali on 8/7/2012 4:32:45 PM

I had my first period two days ago...... And when i went to aleep that night the blood stained my bedsheet my pajamas and my underwear. How do i get the stain out? I cant tell my parents cause they went on a vacation. Thanks :p

Hey girl!

The best way to get the stain out is to wash the clothes, of course. If you don't know how to use the washer and dryer you could take the detergent and hand wash your clothes and sheets so the stain will be lifted as much as possible. Do the best you can and tell your mom when she gets home.

Rachael A.

by Jennamaize13 on 8/6/2012 12:17:20 PM

mod mod mod! i went to the pool yesterday, and I was worried about getting blood on my new bikini. and , i need some 411 pronto. im only 9, and i am having my period. help?

Hey girl!

The only way you can go swimming while on your period is to use a tampon. I know it can be scary, especially because you're so young, but it's the best way to go. There are directions in every box on how to put one in, so check those out. Plus, you can always ask your mom, a trusted adult, or friend to help you too.

Rachael A.

by mariahk on 8/6/2012 11:37:17 AM

PLEASE HELP ME!
Today........ I was just at home watching TV and i felt like i was dripping 'down there' so i went to the bathroom, and i saw this big red spot on my underwear. Is this my period? I havent had the period talk with my mum yet so idk what to do. I put on a pad, but idk how long im supposed to leave it on cause my rents took a vacay to florida for the week. HELP PLEASE... and my stomach hurts reallyyy badd! What am i supposed to do about my stomach? And i have a pool party to go to tomorrow so how can i go swiming?

Hey girlie,

Yes, this does sound like your period! Since you can't talk to your mom about what to do, is there someone else (a friend who has their period, an older sibling/cousin, a friend's parent that you trust, a school nurse) you can talk to and ask questions? Either way, check out our Periods, Period question for lots of info: http://www.girlslife.com/category/periods-period.aspx To answer your questions:

- Usually, you can leave your pad on for about 5-6 hours. But if you're using a regular sized pad and your period "flow" is heavy, you'll have to change it more often and might leak onto your underwear. The best thing to do is to check it often and be prepared to change your pad way more regularly.

- For your stomach, try taking 2 Advil, Midol, Pamprin, or Tylenol. These will help make the pain less intense! You could also get a hot water bottle or a microwavable heat pad and rest it over your lower belly. The heat helps your muscles relax.

- To swim during your period, you CANNOT use pads. You'll need to learn how to use tampons - check out our tampon guides here:

Lauren C.

by Jennamaize13 on 8/5/2012 1:40:20 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I got my first period cramps on Thursday, and they were the first ones I ever had! But, no period. On Friday night, I was babysitting and I went to the restroom. I saw a little red dot, but I was really confused, because I knew it was spotting, but I was wondering if it meant my period was coming? My Mom said, "Meh, must've just been thread or something." So I just forgot about it. But last night, I went to the bathroom, and there were more little red spots (like maybe this big ".") and there were some really little red smears mixed in with my discharge. I know that was definitely spotting. Also, I got cramps last night. Does this mean my period is coming REALLY soon? Or do I still have a while? I'm around 100 pounds, I have spotting and cramps (obvi), armpit and pubic hair, and I have horrible acne and a TON of discharge right now. Please reply ASAP! Thank-you!

I think you're getting your period VERY soon. Especially since you have so much spotting and are feeling cramps. I would stock up on tampons and pads if I were you. xoxo kerra

Kerra S.

by purple10115 on 8/4/2012 7:12:33 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!
so i just got my period, today! and it's so new to me haha, but i am using pads, and we are going camping on a lake soon. my favorite lake. i really wanna swim, but i can't. should i try tampons or menstral cups? PLEASE HELPPP!

Hey girl,

You could try tampons, but don't worry if you can't get the hang of them on your first period! You can still hang by the lake and join the camping fun Smile

Meghan D.

by vintage50 on 8/3/2012 10:23:08 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I am going to a cross country camp when I will have my period. We will be doing a ton of activities all day such as swimming, hiking,campfires, etc. How will I be able to change my tampon discreetly because I do not want to carry a tampon pouch around all day. How can I sneak them with me?

Hey chica! You'll probably be carrying a backpack around for your towel, water bottle, and sunscreen, so just slip it in there.  If not, ask your counselor to hold onto it.  She'll be able to hand out he stuff when you need it and keep it hidden away when you don't.  xoxo

by Catlover4723 on 8/3/2012 12:02:20 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm turning 14 in 2 months, and I think I'm going to get my period this week or in 3-4 weeks because yesterday, I got these really weird cramps that were super low. So I asked my Mom about it, and she said that those were period cramps! Those were my first period cramps (and I am still getting them today!) I also am getting REALLY heavy discharge, and I have all the signs of my period. I get all the period symptoms around the same time my mom gets her period, so that's why I think it's either this week or in 3-4 weeks. You get cramps like 2-3 days before your period, right? Is it the same thing with your first period? I never had period cramps before yesterday... sorry this was so long Laughing Please reply ASAP!

Hey girlie,

Some girls do get cramps just before their periods, that's true! And some girls get cramps before their very first period too, but others don't. It's different for every girl! It sounds like you're right on track and moving through puberty in a healthy way, but unfortunately it's totally impossible to predict when you'll get your period! Even cramps aren't a sure sign, because you could get cramps without a period (or they could be gassy cramps - they kinda feel the same sometimes). Just keep an eye on it and try to relax. You'll know when you get your first period because you'll see the "evidence" in your undies! In the meantime, learn lots about periods and stock up on supplies so you're never caught off guard <3 It'll come when your bod is ready!
Lauren C.

by purple10115 on 8/2/2012 11:05:03 PM

Mod mod mod.
Hi I am home alone and I have my period and I just realized that there are no more pass in the house and I'm not allowed to run to the store and get some. I called my mum (who is at work) and she said I can't go to the store and I can just use her disposable menstrual cups. I didn't have the courage to ask her what that was so I just said ok. I found them fine but I have no idea what the heck they are and how to use them? Can u please help me?

Hey girl! I would suggest using folded up tissue paper for now. xxoo
Maggie P.

by fantastic8805 on 8/2/2012 2:21:41 PM

Have had my period for a while, and my mom keeps pushing me to try tampons and I am so that I could swimming. They are okay when I'm standing, but when I sit down it because really uncomfortable and I can't sit up straight because putting pressure on "down there" becomes almost painful. What did I do wrong and how can I fix it so I can use them regularly?

It sounds like you could either be not inserting the tampon correctly or the tampon is the incorrect size. Each box comes with instructions so make sure you are taking the correct steps. Also, try using a different size (use a regular instead of super ect). Tampons should not be uncomfortable, if you keep having problems I would consider talking to a doctor.

Kerra S.

by proarchergal42 on 7/28/2012 11:47:47 PM

ok so im going to beach in a couple of weeks. thats around when im supposed to get my period. its supposed to come around halfway through the trip. by then ill have been swimming a ton, so will i get it? even if late? last year i was towards the end of my period when we went and then after i swam in the ocean, it went away.
please answer! thanks so much!

Hey girl!

The water has no effect on your period. If you are comfortable using tampons then your period won't hinder you from swimming the rest of your vacation. But if you only wear pads, you'll have to sit out from swimming.
Rachael A.

by briblue3 on 7/27/2012 3:37:46 PM

Mod mod mod mod!
I am 13 and I've been getting discharge for a little over 18 months with no period. I read on this website that if u have had boobs for two years or discharge for 18 months and no period that u have to see your doctor cuz something might not be right! What should I do?

Hey girlie,

Every girl's bod is different - and while discharge, boobs, and other puberty changes ARE signs that your period could be on the way, it's tough to tell for sure. (Even doctors can't guarantee when you'll get it!) Most girls get their periods before the age of 16. If you go a few more years with no period, it might be smart to chat with your doctor to see what's going on. It's always good to make sure you're progressing normally and you're healthy! But for now, I wouldn't worry. Try to be patient and learn about periods right now, so you're totally prepared when it comes. Smile
Lauren C.

by cuddlebug143 on 7/19/2012 10:10:04 PM

These articles really help!

by jellyfish1999 on 7/17/2012 5:12:52 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I'm having trouble with tampons. When i practice putting it in at home it works, but whenever i really need to put one in fast (like at camp a few weeks ago) i can never do it! any advice? also, whenever i shave the upper half of my legs i get red itchy bumps. what should i do?

Hey girlie,

Take your time, take a deep breath, and relax! You're putting pressure on yourself to rush and get the tampon in, which only makes it harder to insert it. Over time, you'll get so much better at putting in the tampon when you're pressed for time - but, for now, try not to worry about being done really quick. And if you think about it, being home and being in public aren't very different - you might be less comfortable in an unfamiliar place, but you can still take your time and get it in there right Smile
Lauren C.

by liv22 on 7/12/2012 10:37:03 PM

I have gotten this bloody discharge in my underwear like three times this year. I am confused if this is my period or not. I am 15 and having been getting normal discharge for like a year. When am i going to get my period.? Thanks.

Hey girl! This sounds like your period, and you're the right age to be starting.  Is it coming at about the same time every month? How long does it last? Those can be hints as to whether it's your period or something else that you need to get checked out.  I'd talk to your doc.  They can also clue you in on if you're going to get your period soon (if you haven't already). xoxo

by rbkitcat97 on 7/12/2012 11:14:19 AM

I'm just wondering, what is a mod? Could someone p,ease tell me?? and I'd appreciate it if it wasn't a link. I'm ok with links but I use my iPad so it can be very slow. Thanks everybody!!

Hey girl!  I'm a mod (along with a bunch of other girls like me).  We give advice to girls like you who write in the comments section.  If you have a question and need one of us to answer, type "MOD MOD MOD" at the top of your comment and we'll answer it!  xoxo

by dancerchick02 on 7/12/2012 1:56:59 AM

MOD MOD MOD!
so, i have had my period for a little over half a year now and have used pads since I started. I read online about menstrual cups which are supposed to make your period waaayyy easier by not forcing you to carry around extra materials so I bought one but I am having alot of trouble putting it in! help! and also, I have been having a very light, dark brown period for the past few days which is not normal at all for me! i'm sort of worried but I don't want to worry my mom about it.

Hey babe, sorry it's so tricky to put the cup in, but just read the directions carefully and be patient. You'll get it. And about your period, don't stress. Periods can be funky and irregular for the first two years after your first one, so just ride this one out. It'll straighten itself out soon.
Carrie R.

by kwr3000 on 7/11/2012 2:52:04 PM

Megan 328,
no, you cant wear a pad in the pool. think of it this way, a pad absorbs any liquid it comes in contact with. itll swell up like a diaper right when you step in the water and wont have any more room 2 absorb what you want it to. if you dont wear tampons, try 'em! they arent as bad as you think...like at all they r really nice actuallyTong hope this helped! Smile

by summergirl190 on 7/11/2012 2:16:22 PM

i don't where tampons!So can you where pads in the pool if not what am i suppose to do?

by Megan328 on 7/11/2012 1:16:47 PM

dear Piano player114,
if she is a very trusty friend you can tell her that your on your period and it might leak through onto the sheets. Or you can wear overnight pads i prefer u by kotex

by rileyroo789 on 7/10/2012 7:32:54 PM

I read in Girl's Life's latest issue that a girl put on a tampon and had possibly broke her hymen. Now I'm afraid to use tampons. Is there a way to possibly try and avoid breaking it when I get my period?

hey! well, since you can't really see down there, there's no guarantee. In my opinion that sounds extremely rare and unlikely. I've heard of some girls breaking their hymens while horsebackriding. and that's way more intense than inserting a tampon. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I wanted you to know that probably won't happen.

Helen S.

by FaithPetrowski on 7/10/2012 6:51:18 PM

Last month I had a really heavy period and at night it leaked onto my bed. This month I am going to be at a friends house while on my period. What if it is heavy and leaks onto her sheets?

by Piano player114 on 7/9/2012 11:29:44 PM

I really want to wear tampons and have had my period for nearly a year now and im going to into 7th grade, but i dont know how to ask my mom if i can wear tampons or not. Someone please HELP!!!!

Hey girlie!

I know these tips are for convince your mom to let you shave, but they work just as well for convince her to let you wear tampons! Remember, stay calm and collected when you talk to her so that she knows you're responsible and ready to take this next step.

Catherine C.

by rhylaej on 7/9/2012 1:19:00 PM

MOD
I'm going on vacation in week and my period is going to come that day, I'm going to Hawaii with lots of swimming snorkeling and surfing what do I do? Btw I'm 14 and not willing to try any pills or anything! Thanks
<3 -ilove1D1313

Hey girl, since you're going to be in the water, tampons are your best bet. Don't sweat it, you'll have a great trip!

lauren r.

by Ilove1D1313 on 7/8/2012 2:32:05 AM

Hey k123k, I don't usually wear tampons but the one time I did they were Kotex. They were easy to insert, came in nice colors and had helpful instructions. So check them out chicky. Hope that helps girl! Xx

MOD!!!
could you please tell me what the best tampons are for beginners? I went into the tampon isle today and I had no idea what I should buy because I wasn't sure what brand would be easiest to insert and remove. Please help cause I'm gonna go buy some tomorrow! I cant ask my mom cause she has never used tampons! thanks in advance Lynae P.

by k123k on 7/7/2012 4:18:44 PM

im sorry this is adding on to my previous comment!! its 28-30 days not 28-40. but then arises another problem! i had my period april 21-27 but i totally skipped may!! and as mentioned in my previos mod comment, that is when i satred my third in june 3. IM AM SO SORRY THAT THERE ARE TOO MAANY NUMBERS THAT I AM OVERWHELMING YOU WITH. I totally skipped a month and then i had two periods a week apart in the other month!! I hope IM OKAY!!

Haha, no apology necessary! I totally understand how confusing and worrisome that kind of stuff can be. If you skip or miss your period often, that could be a sign that you're not healthy (perhaps your diet needs to be changed), but if you then had your period, twice, I'm sure that it's just an irregular time and your hormones just need some time to get back on track!
Kelly G.

by amerifreak on 7/4/2012 2:28:28 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I have a small worry about my period intervals. My third period ended on June 10, starting on June 3, but it cam back on June 17! I am aware that the average time between periods are 28-40 days, but what is happening here? should i be concerned that it is only a week difference?
THANK YOU!!

Hey sweetie,

Was the second one a full-blown period or was it just spotting? Spotting is totally normal, it's basically like a mini-period that just happens once in a while. Even if it was a regular period, it's nothing to worry about. Periods can be irregular, and almost everyone goes through an irregularity with it. Periods can take years to really get on a regular cycle, and even then they're not always guaranteed. Don't worry, girl!
Kelly G.

by amerifreak on 7/4/2012 2:22:45 PM

MOD!!
I have a question. Okay so I typically buy my own supplies for my period and I really want to try tampons for summer instead of pads. The problem is, I'm not sure if my mom would allow me to use them. Since I buy them myself would it really even be necessary for me to ask her? Is this a decision that I should be able to just make for myself?

Hey babe, if you're not sure your mom would like you using tampons, why don't you ask her? There's really nothing wrong with using tampons, and they won't do anything harmful to your bod. So I don't know why she'd have a problem. But at the same time, if you don't ask her permission, it's probably not a big deal either. If you'd like to give 'em a try, go ahead.
Carrie R.

by k123k on 7/4/2012 10:57:43 AM

Love shopping? Need style advice? Live for fashion? If you answered yes to any of these questions then my club, Fashion Blogs is for you! We share fashion and beauty tips, sales at our fave stores, our outfits of the day, new trends, polls, and quizzes! We also talk about celeb fashion and even have monthly contests! Positions are open to apply for too!
Please join now!
♥dancer♥

by dancer2998 on 7/3/2012 11:54:22 AM

Mod Mod Mod
Ok so I think I had my period, but I'm not sure because it was more brown than it was red, when I talked to my mom about it she said that it should turn redder later in my period but it didn't. It only lasted about four days and was pretty light, I only used light pads/heavy liners but I had to change them pretty often. Is it normal to have it brown through my whole period or was it something else?

Hey girl!  Everyone's period is a different color, and sometimes periods aren't red like the blood you bleed when you have a cut.  Chances are, that was your period, so be ready for it in about 28 days (may not be exact, those sneaky periods are usually irregular in the beginning).  If it comes again, then you know, but if not, then it was something else and you might want to talk to your doctor.  xoxo

by ThornedRose on 7/3/2012 10:46:41 AM

MODMOMODMODMODMODMODMOD
okay one last question!(i know! sorry!)
is it a good idea to wear a panty liner just in case??

Hey girlie!  Wearing a panty liner just in case is a great idea for hanging out on land, but it'll soak up the water if you jump into a pool to get cool. xoxo

by WhiteStripe3 on 7/2/2012 10:41:40 PM

This would be very helpful if I was actually able to put a tampon in... -_-

by mcw99 on 7/2/2012 9:22:17 PM

MODMODMODMODMOD
not to be a bother but:
this is in response to my last comment, so i looked at my panties again, and the dot is REALLLLLLY TINY AND LIGHT!!!! and im not compleatly sure i got it. what do i do???? whats going on!?!?!?!? PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!

hey! no problem, it may be about to start in a day or so, or maybe you've got longer than that. I think the best thing to do is keep tabs on the situation and see what happens. bring a pad with you when you go places in case. At lest you're on your guard!

Helen S.

by WhiteStripe3 on 7/2/2012 7:11:01 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
Alright, ive tried tampons all the timeee..! and they wont go "in" i have no clue what im doing! Can you please help!?! Thanks so so much!

Helen S.

by chickbballin on 7/2/2012 7:01:47 PM

MODMODMODMOD
Sombody please explain to me what is going on?!
so i went to the bathroom and there was this tiny faint reddish pink dot nest to my discharge HELP ASAP!!!!

Hey! You may be starting your period, but it sounds like it hasn't really gotten heavy or anything yet. Ask a trusted adult for a pad and if you are by yourself, fold up some toilet paper to line your panties until you can buy a pad. congratulations! This is a big step in your lifeSmile good luck!

Helen S.

by WhiteStripe3 on 7/2/2012 5:18:25 PM

MOD
Hey, two days ago my discharge started to come out as a brownish color.I have also been having cramps and been sorta nauseous. Is my period going to come soon? Or is something wrong with me?? Please help.

Hey girl, Sounds like your period is on it's way!  If you don't feel better or start your period in a couple days, talk to your mom, because it might be something else.  Until then, be prepared, you're probably going to get your period soon.  xoxo

by KatieBell23 on 7/2/2012 4:49:30 PM

My parents are divorced, and when I get my period, at my dad's house, how will I get my supply of pads and tampons? Help me!

Hey girlie!  Ask your dad to pick you up a box next time he goes grocery shopping or bring over some from your mom's house!  Dads know that girls get periods around your age, so both of you might be a little embarrassed at first, but you'll get used to it in a couple months.

by scruffythecrow on 7/2/2012 2:25:54 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I am supost to get my period this next year, and all of my friends tell me that the doctor is wrong, and you get your period earlier or later. And it seems weird to ask your mom, even though we are REALLY close, about it! WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

Hey girl!

You can never really predict when exactly you'll get your period. Since you and your mom are close, you should totally ask her about it. That's part of what moms are there for!
Rachael A.

by scruffythecrow on 7/2/2012 12:30:59 PM

i know that all you you will think i am cuckoo but i always go to the pool without a tampon. in my first experience, th water;s pressure actualy goes against your you know, thus blocking the flow of you know what. i dont know if any of you believe me but it really works. I'm not suer if it works on EVERYONE but i took this advice from a friend that has a totally different body from me. i wear a liner in my swimsuit just in case i leak an when i get out of the pool and change there is absolutlely no blood to begin or end with. So dont worry if you forget to wear your tampon on pool day because despite what your mom says its ok to swim without a tampon

by amerifreak on 7/1/2012 7:31:54 PM

MOD!(:
I got my first period a few weeks ago (June 14-19), and I was just wondering when I might expect it again? I know that they don't usually start out regular, but next month around the 13th, I'm going to be on vacation...so are there any signs I should look for to let me know when it's coming? Thanks!(:

Hey girlie,

Most gals get their periods every 28-30 days. Basically once a month! But like you said, it's totally normal for them to be irregular for a while, so it's kinda hard to predict. Just be patient and be prepared by bringing supplies with ya when you go. It's possible that you will get it before/on vacation, so pay attention to cramps (they feel like the achy pain you feel before you're gonna have - sorry, TMI - diarrhea), mood swings, cravings, or any tired feelings. And check our Periods, Period category to learn even more about it! Smile http://www.girlslife.com/category/periods-period.aspx
Lauren C.

by QTpi on 6/30/2012 10:22:20 PM

So today my period started and I'm fine whatever I've had it for 2yrs but in five days (July 5th) my friend asked me to go to the beach I've never had this problem before what should I do? Please help

by lolgurl23 on 6/30/2012 3:46:45 PM

I'm always afraid i will get my first period when im in the water D:

by armytank on 6/29/2012 11:26:08 AM

MODMODMODMODMOD!
I JUST got my 1st period like yesterday! And my mom says i can't wear tampons because she says that my internal organs have to be "matured, Is this true? And,Can yuo go completley in water without getting your period. Like i said, i just got it, So can you help me? I don't know anything.

Hey girlie,

You should totally read up on all things period so you get all the deets - check out our Periods, Period section! http://www.girlslife.com/category/periods-period.aspx As for wearing tampons, I've never heard of the internal organs thing, but mom probably just wants you to get used to having your period before you start testing out different supplies. No biggie! Take your time and learn all about your period before you make any decisions Smile Be open with mom and honest about all your feelings/questions. You can trust her, and you can also trust your doc to answer any questions truthfully. As for going in water - if you have your period, going in water won't stop it. You'll still leak, so don't skip the tampon! (http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/07/30/005-period-advice.aspx)
Lauren C.

by dragone on 6/28/2012 7:25:37 PM

Mod mod mod--
1) When I get my period- I get blood clots. Not big ones, but like a quarter size. Is this normal??
2) I'm afraid to put a tampon in because of the clots so I DON'T go swimming during my period days. Is it ok if u put one in even if I have the clots?
Thanks.

Hey girlie,

This is TOTALLY normal! In fact, most girls get those clots during their periods, especially on the heaviest days. Tampons are just fine to use with them - they'll absorb your flow no matter what. Remember to adjust your tampon size depending on your flow (use a Super, Ultra, etc. on the heavier days) and to change them regularly, to avoid leaks. You could even use a pantyliner so you don't get caught by surprise Smile
Lauren C.

by Keeper77 on 6/28/2012 4:19:36 PM

MODMODMODMOD!!!!
im in a REALLY grumpy mood, it just started yesterday after we go back from iowa. Idk if it was my step-sister who got me into it, (i really dont like her) or if i might get my period soon. My step-sister hasnt really done anything to make me mad. It might be that im stuck doing all of her chores until I leave on vacation. She shouldnt be sick in 7-8 days except im leaving on the 3 so i can spend time with family alone. Im pretty moody today im in a crabby mood, and idk why, i dont wanna do anything cuz my ankle,neck,and lower back hurt plz help

Hey girlie!  Bad moods are the worst!  You feel bad for snapping at people, but you just can't stop! I don't blame you for not wanting to work and do chores when you're sore, but try and do one chore at a time with a little break (like painting your nails or reading a chapter of a book) between them. The little bit of "me" time will improve your mood and give your back, neck, and ankle a break.  Talk to your parents and let them know that you're feeling a little overwhelmed and a little sore, maybe they'll chip in a little bit to take some of the work off of you!  Feel better!  xoxo

by YayaYuiki on 6/28/2012 12:14:43 PM

Mod Mod Mod Recently, I got my period. I kept track of it (I got it June 14-19). My only concern is that its summer time and when you start out your periods are irregular. Plus, I go swimming every single day since I live near the beach and the pool (and belong to a club). Plus, I go to camp where swimming is REQUIRED! How do I be prepared??

Hey chica!  The only way to be prepared is to make sure you are keeping track of how your body feels and making sure you are doing frequent bathroom checks when you feel like your period might be coming.  It also might be a good idea to wear panty liners a few days before you "should" be getting your period (not in your bathing suit, though!).  Try changing into your bathing suit right before you go swimming and not taking a super long time to change out of it.  That way, you catch it early and you don't have to worry about staining your suit.  LAst of all, relax!  Your period is only a few days a month, so enjoy swimming the rest of the time!

xoxo

by MusicIsLove123 on 6/28/2012 9:41:16 AM

Don't freak out about wearing a tampon if you want to go in the pool, your period stops in the water. Test it out in a bath, I swear it works!

by Clover54088 on 6/28/2012 12:57:55 AM

Mod Mod Mod!!!
So, for the last few days, I have noticed that it hurts when I wipe sometimes. I decided to check it out today. When I looked, the skin was broke in a small area like I was scratched down there. It only hurts if I hit that spot when I wipe. Should I be concerned?

Hey babe, try being a li'l more gentle when ya wipe, and see if the pain goes away after a few more days. If it doesn't, talk to a doctor about it.
Carrie R.

by Crush2010 on 6/27/2012 4:58:39 PM

I have never used a tampon or a pad before, but I'm twelve, so I know I will get my period soon. I've heard that tampons can be more effective than pads. Is that true? Is one more comfortable and convinient than the other? Please respond ASAP.

Hey chicky, just because you're 12, it doesn't mean you're going to get your period soon. Some gals don't get it 'til they're 17, so there's no reason to stress about it. But just so you know for when you do get it, tampons are more convenient because they can be used with pads so that ya don't have to hit the bathroom quite as often. Both are uncomfortable at first, but you get used to them. Once you get your period, you can try them both out and see which works best for you.
Carrie R.

by Taylorbb77 on 6/27/2012 4:39:04 PM

modmodmodmodmod
by the way in my last comment i forgot to say ive been having a little bit of an acne flare up!

If you're worried that ya might get your period soon, you can try wearing a thin pad for a few days, just to be on the safe side. Then if there's no change in the color or amount of discharge you're having, save the pads, and don't worry about your period for a while.
Carrie R.

by WhiteStripe3 on 6/27/2012 4:36:32 PM

MODMODMOD im 11 and am turning 12 in october. i feel like i should already have gotten my period! ive had LOADS of discharge for over 2 years,and breasts for about the same amount of time. i get stomach pains alot too, and am irritated by all the waiting and just want to get it over with!! GRRRRR!!!
PS i believe ive had some REEEALLY light spotting. STILL IRITATED!!!!
PPS my body hair is blond all over because im a blond, but i noticed a bunch of black pubic hair and a few long black under arm hairs. i had alot of body hair before just blond.

Hey babe, most girls get their period between the ages of 11 and 14, so your bod may just not be there yet. Waiting can be rough, but trust me, the longer you go without having a period, the better. They always come at the most inconvenient times, and they're not exactly fun. So enjoy not having to deal with them yet, and don't stress.
Carrie R.

by WhiteStripe3 on 6/27/2012 4:30:48 PM

I just started a few days ago and all my friends wear tampons wat do i do

by loll989 on 6/27/2012 3:48:49 PM

MOD ! MOD ! MOD ! MOD !
I think that I might be getting my period. I haven't seen any blood yet, but my stomach has been hurting, my boobs are kinda tender, I'm having mood swings, cramps, etc. I googled it, and these are all signs. I'm 12, do you think I'm about to get my period? Should I wear a pantyliner in case? Please help xo

Hey chica, sounds like you could be about to get your period. The average ages when most gals to get theirs is between 11 and 14 years old, so you're right in there. You could wear a pantyliner for a few days, and then if there's no change in the color or amount of your discharge, don't worry about it for a while.
Carrie R.

by rosierosie on 6/27/2012 1:15:28 PM

MODMODMODMOD!!!!!
I was complaining about my back hurting and my mom said i might start my period. Now what kind of tampon can i use, im a size small in womens. Should i use regular, or slim fit? Im going on a nine hour drive to iowa and back today to pick up family, please reply asap!!!!!

Hey babe!

Take deeeeep breaths. It's okay!! First of all, you don't know for sure if you're going to get your period. But it's best to be prepared. I don't actually use tampons (I use pads) so I suggest talking to your mom about which tampon brand she suggests. It's best to have a variety since you don't know what to expect (if it's your first time).
Kelly G.

by YayaYuiki on 6/27/2012 8:26:04 AM

MOD MOD MOD!
I'm going on vacation to the beach this week for 2 days, but I have my period! I'm leaving tomorrow and I have never used a tampon, and I really don't want to so please don't tell me to just try itTong....anyways can I just wear a pad in my bikini bottoms with some athletic shorts over them and try not to get wet? Please tell me what to do!!!!! Thanks so much<3

by Paramoregurl on 6/26/2012 5:57:40 PM

MOD MOD MOD (:
I have a tampon prob. I've tried (many many times) to use a tampon. I've been using plastic ones and trying when my flow is heaviest. I can get the applicator in no problem, but when I try to push the actual tampon up, I get the feeling that I'm going to faint. I feel lightheaded and like I may throw up. Then I have to go lay down and try again the next day because I'm too afraid to try again the same day. :/ I'm thinking that this problem may be caused by nerves but I really want to start wearing tampons. Any advice that could possibly help me out? Thanks!!

Hey! Sorry about all this stress, that sounds really hard! I would just advise you to keep breathing and thinking about yourself succeeding and how glad you'll be. Maybe try when your flow isn't as heavy because the blood might be making you feel faint. Good luck!
Helen S.

by smiley.<3 on 6/26/2012 5:39:22 PM

Why are you so eager to use tampons? Are you not afraid that you might accidentally hurt yourself? Don't you think pads are much easier? Maggie P.

by sassyclassycat on 6/26/2012 4:56:41 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm afraid to where pads. plus, i tried a normal sized one on but it didn't fit. what should i do?

Hey girl! Don't be afraid, pads are totally easy to wear and very convenient.  If a normal one didn't fit, try a pantyliner.  They are thinner and may be more comfortable for you.  xxoo
Maggie P.

by jster on 6/26/2012 4:52:15 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
so i do a LOT of activities, and none of them are cheap(all of them are at least $150) anyways, my parents insist that I shouldn't have to help pay for them because "a kid shouldn't worry about money" and "we can handle the budget". but i'm not a kid anymore, I'm 15 years old!! my mom is getting a new job soon, and then we'll have more room for money, but i still feel extremely guilty! all of it probably costs at LEAST $2000. my grandmother is going to start paying me to help her with things around the house, like cleaning. i'm hoping that if the money adds up, they will let me use it to help pay for my activities. how can i convince them to let me help out?

Hey girl!  It's really nice of you to want to help your parents out with paying for your activities.  If your parents assure that they can handle it, don't feel guilty.  But earning some extra cash seems like a great idea and your parents will definitely be impressed that you want to help out Smile xxoo
Maggie P.

by karategirl78 on 6/26/2012 4:22:12 PM

MOD
I dont have my period yet and call me crazy but i wish it would hurry im 12 and still dont have it like most other girls do. i know everyone devolopes at a different pace and its not a problem unless ur 16 and havent had it yet, but i really wish it would hurry

Hey girl!  I know you can totally feel like you want to grow up, but don't worry.  You will get your period when it's the right time for you body.  Just stay healthy and it will come!  As for now, embrace not having to deal with PMS! xxoo
Maggie P.

by bunnybaby on 6/26/2012 2:53:10 PM

MOD! MOD! MOD!
I mentioned tampons to my mom, and asked if i could use one so that i could go swimming? and she kind of just brushed it off, like she doesn't think i should use them. but it's summer and i don't want to go a week without swimming every month! what should i do?

Hey girl!  Why don't you sit down with your mom and have a real discussion about using tampons?  Tell her that you don't want to miss out on swimming every month!  She will hopefully understand and be flexible.  Good luck! xxoo
Maggie P.

by sarabieber1799 on 6/26/2012 2:02:37 PM

MOD MOD! Im 13 and it seems like my Mom dosnt want me using tampons... Whenever were thinking of going to the pool or are going I tell my Mom"how am I going to swim? I'm on my period".... And all she says is " you cant..."
Why cant I use them? My cousin said she started using them at my age...

Hey girl!  Tampons are totally useful, but maybe your mom wants you to stick with pads for now.  Why don't you have a convo with your mom about using tampons?  She may be worried that you're growing up too fast, but I'm sure she doesn't want you to miss out on summer fun!  Let her know that you are serious about the matter, and I'm sure she will understand.  When you do start using tampons, check out this link for some helpful tips Smile http://www.girlslife.com/post/2009/06/23/007-Period-Advice.aspx xoxo

Maggie P.

by darkness605 on 6/26/2012 1:47:52 PM

I've been looking for shorts and capris to wear over the summer and have had no luck. ive already been to 6 different stores and havent found anything!i wear a size 16. any advice on stores to shop at?

Hey girlie! Shopping is tough for everyone, but don't dispair!  You can try looking right here: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/08/10/BTS-shopping-tips-for-plus-size-and-curvy-girls.aspx.  Hope you find what you're looking for!

by meesby11 on 6/26/2012 11:50:02 AM

MOD MOD MOD!!!!! I only had a week between my period! What gives!?!

Hey chica!  Sometimes periods get a little weird, but usually they go back to normal after a funky month.  If you are really worried, talk to your mom or your doctor, they'll be able to give you a specific reason, since they know what medications you've been taking and other stuff about you!

by brie366 on 6/26/2012 9:04:56 AM

MOD MOD MOD:
I have a little over a month of summer left,and I really want to tone up as much as possible. I am drinking 4 big cups of lemon water every day,(Which ends up equaling 8 cups)and exercising 4-5 days a week. I'm trying to eat as good as possible,and be as healthy as possible. Will it help me by the end of summer??

Hey girlie,

Yes, definitely.  That should definitely show some kind of results in a month!
Jordan S.

by MadMaddie911 on 6/25/2012 11:11:44 PM

My best excuse is just that I have to go to the bathroom lol...

by supersingershannon on 6/25/2012 8:49:59 PM

MOD!
How long can you keep in a tampon?

Hey girl!

The tampon boxes usually say up to 8 hours, but you may want to change more often than this. Depending on how long your flow is, I would say between 2-5 hours.

Catherine C.

by caligirl99 on 6/25/2012 4:32:21 PM

MODMODMOD
I play basketball on a competetive traveling team and I really like it. The only problem is that I'm always in pain, either from strained muscles, my joints hurt, or overall body aches. I can't stand it, and it always takes the fun out of being with my friends and playing. Ive tried taking medications, start hung everyday, and even going to the doctor about my problems - multiple times- and none of this has helped. I wear two braces on my knees, but neither help. Nothing does. I'm seriously quitting basketball, but having a hard time making a decision. My parents said either basketball or volleyball. I love my basketball team and my friends, but I don't know what to do. Please help me... I have no other options but to quit and do something else or to keep fighting the pain somehow. Please, please help me make the right decision. Thank you

Hey girl!

Even if you love something, if you're hurting yourself in the process it's not worth it. Obviously the ultimate decision is up to you, but I think you should talk with your parents more about it. If you've tried everything to relieve the pain and nothing works (and you're miserable while playing), I'd say it's time to find a new sport. Nothing is worse than being miserable when all you want to do is have fun and show your stuff. There are so many other sports you could try as well! If you choose to keep playing, you've got to find a way to relieve your pain. You seem to have a true passion for the sport, which is why this decision is so difficult for you. Just because you stop playing basketball doesn't mean you won't see your team again. In their eyes you'll always be a part of the team no matter what, and you can hang out with your basketball friends all the time...even if you play volleyball! The choice is up to you. Whichever decision you will make, things will turn out the way that they're supposed to. Talk to your coach, team, and parents before making the final decision. Best of luck!

Catherine C.

by Basketball7 on 6/25/2012 4:27:39 PM

I'm going to sail camp, and we will be in the pool and the bay all day. The only problem is according to my period calendar my period is supposed to come the day before! I have tampons, and after reading a couple articles on the site I'm afraid my flow wont be heavy enough to get the tampon in! Also, my period is still kinda irregular so I'm afraid I will get it while I'm at camp. Please help!!!!

Hey girl!

Hmm this is a tricky situation but it can definitely be solved. As long as you have tampons and you're prepared/ready to use them then you're pretty much all set. The GOOD thing is that your flow isn't very heavy so you won't have to worry about having any messes! You should definitely be able to get the tampon in, as long as you have the right size for the amount of flow. Your period may be irregular, but you shouldn't get randomly on scattered days of the month, so as long as you keep tampons in during the time that you have it, you should be good. If you're worried, you can even put a tampon in a day after you think your period has ended...just in case! Don't worry too much, just keep those tampons in, change them frequently, and have fun!

Catherine C.

by Maddie5321 on 6/25/2012 3:13:50 PM

Hey so my legs are hairy, and earlier today my mum asked me how i felt about shaving... it was out of the blue, so i didnt know what to say. I said i dont know, and she said if i didnt have an opinion, i was too young to shave. Help? I didnt know what to say, and then she left for work. Please help!

Hey girl!

While your mom's at work, you now have time to think about it. If you feel uncomfortable about the hair on your legs, you might want to start thinking about shaving. Shaving for the first time can be scary for a lot of girls...but there's nothing to worry about! If you think you're ready, talk to your mom when she gets home. Explain that she caught you a little off guard this morning but that you've thought about it and you really think it would be a good idea (explain that it would make you feel more comfortable, and that'd you love to learn how). If you decide that you don't want to yet, that's fine too! Make the decision that will make you feel most comfortable. If you tell your mom that you DO want to shave and she says you're not ready, then check out this link for tips on how to handle that situation: My Mom Won’t Let Me
Shave!

Catherine C.

by jrprodigy12 on 6/25/2012 2:44:00 PM

MOD! MOD!!!!!!!
I don't know if this is a period but lately I've been having this thing that comes out that has I tint of red in it but it's really really brown.. It didn't even look like a period it looked brown. Is there something wrong with me?

Hey girlie!

Nope, that's perfectly normal and yes, that is a period (usually either towards the start or end of your period). If you have more questions, talk to your mom or trusted adult...they'll definitely have some great advice and be able to help out with your questions...they went through puberty too!

Catherine C.

by ellamorganista on 6/25/2012 2:17:43 PM

I've had my oeriod for a while, but I'm afraid to try tampons. I'm tired of pads, they feel like a diaper, but I'm afraid that tampons hurt, do they? And how do I know when it's in the right hole and in all the way? Please help!

Hey girl!

Tampons might seem scary, but when you make the change from pads to tampons...it's great! Most girls say they don't even feel tampons! The first couple of times might be a bit uncomfortable because you're not used to wearing them or putting them in. It will get better though as it becomes easier for you to apply them. Check out this link to learn how!  How
Do Insert a Tampon?

Catherine C.

by xOCutie_CupcakesXo on 6/25/2012 1:24:12 PM

Modmodmod .I'm not allowed to use a tampon but I love to swim I have never gone to the beach and haven't swam but I got my period last year so this is my first trip with my period what do I do my mom told me I'm not allowedto wear a tampon is there a pad you can like use when its wet ?

Hey girl!

Most pads aren't great when wet because they absorb water, but you can always try a panty liner or something very thin with little absorbency (if your period is light). Also talk to your mom about the situation...explain to her that you love to swim and you know she doesn't want you to use a tampon, but ask her what she will let you do to keep the period problem under control in those waves!

Catherine C.

by Love2act321 on 6/25/2012 1:14:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
What if we've NEVER worn a tampon before?? Next week I'll be getting my period for the second time ever, so naturally, I've never even thought about using a tampon. I dont want to miss out on the summer fun, but I'm barely used to wearing pads. Should I just skip the swimming? Should I learn how to use a tampon quickly? Should I avoid embarrassment by skipping my friends'
pool party...or what?? Idk what to do!!!! Plz help!!!!!

Hey girlie!

When that time of the month rolls around, there's no need to skip the pool parties! Periods are tough, but if you have the right tools you can stay in the clear, even in that bikini. Unfortunately, if you wear a pad in the pool it will absorb water and swell up...so I highly recommended using tampons. Since you haven't used these before, your best bet is to talk to a parent (preferably mom!) or other adult figure who you feel comfortable with and can help you. Once you get the gist of it's totally easy...trust me. You don't even feel it! In fact, a lot of girls actually prefer tampons because you don't feel like you're wearing a diaper all the time (like pads)! Throw in a tampon and just make sure to change it every couple of hours. If you're worried, have a girlfriend be on the lookout, literally watching your back! Good luck!!!

Catherine C.

by Parischick2 on 6/25/2012 1:07:37 PM

This was soooo helpful GL! I'm going on a long trip,so I decided to try tampons but I wasn't sure if sharks can smell the blood? Can they? Hm,but anyways,I think I have a light flow so I'd change it every 2 hours.

by iluvmusic♥ on 6/25/2012 12:45:11 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
I'm starting my period soon and I'm really freaked. Everything in my body is just freaking out.......my face is covered in acne and my eyelids are swelling. Any remedies for that?
~Confused & Crampy

Hey girl!

That sounds pretty miserable! Make sure you're drinking lots of water and getting lots of sleep. That can help with the acne. Wash your face twice a day, too. You can take painkillers such as Motrin or Advil for your cramps or even Midol, which is specifically for menstrual cramps. I'm not sure why your eyelids are swelling, so you may want to ask your doctor about that.
Rachael A.

by funnyali123 on 6/25/2012 12:41:49 PM

My best excuses to slip off to the bathroom when I've got my period by the pool are: "I have to go to the bathroom," and "I think I left something in the bathroom...let me just check."

by otter77 on 6/25/2012 11:19:23 AM

I don't know how to use tampons *sigh*

by ninadasiy on 6/25/2012 10:33:50 AM

Mod Mod Mod!!!
I just got this Aveeno Active Natural Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser and I don't know how to use it - like, okay, I know you wet your face, but then do you apply it and keep it on for a while and rinse it off, or do you just rub iit like it's lotion or what??? There were no directions.

Hey girl!

Just wet your face, put some of the cleanser in your hand, and soap up your face like you would your body in the shower. You don't need to keep it on or do it for a long time, just make sure you cover all the areas of your face.
Rachael A.

by Sarah510 on 6/25/2012 8:20:11 AM

i honestly dont care if people know. most all my friends are guys, i only got one girl buddy. but i dont care they know really cause its not our faults. i am in high school and they might say something depending on how immuture they are. but most guys really dont even care and theyre cool about it. they know we have periods. when i was at school dance i asked my friend dane to hold tampons in his pockets for me hahahaha choose not to be embarrassed because your not the only girl on your period. its all good! if u do care to keep secret cause your friends are immuture or something, just say 'hey i'll brb i got to pee' Smile

by girlivinginclouds on 6/25/2012 2:02:51 AM

Do you really need an excuse? just say you need to go to the bathroom!

p.s. FIRST COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!