AN HOUR AGO Tired of your mom nagging you for relaxing in your free time? http://t.co/UoPmqT3cfV

2 HOURS AGO 10 last minute costumes that actually look legit: http://t.co/mxeOK2EU2m

3 HOURS AGO Can this app help you ace math? http://t.co/6HyPHr7u87

COMMENTS

In the news: Michigan Representative banned after saying "vagina"

Two weeks ago, Representative Lisa Brown delivered a speech before her fellow state politicians. The Michigan House of Representatives then banned Brown from speaking. Why? She used...

It's not inappropriate at all! It's not a cuss word, it's the name of a female body part! Sure, men are uncomfortable saying it, be we can say it, after all it is OUR body part, right? Men aren't uncomfortable for saying "penis"! I mean, banning a woman who said who just said "vagina" isn't right! As women, we say it a lot! I mean sure, she was in front of a crowd of people including men, but guys would've done the same thing! IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!

by cheetah#1 on 8/2/2012 5:59:36 PM

Maybe its a Cultural Thing!

Va-jay-jay sounds so silly, why cant a grown up say vagina, its not a nasty word. We put up with hearing the word penis and seeing them in many cases so why was he called out.

Maybe its a society or cultural thing, because my friend went to that anatomy and body exhibit in New York and she told me that the you mainly saw real Penises and actual naked male bodies and only a few things about our bodies. So maybe its more acceptable to talk and see men's reproductive organs.

by fashionqn on 8/1/2012 3:32:47 PM

In my opinion, those reps need to GROW UP. Offensive, my foot! I can say that word, or type it at least: vagina. Vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, VAGINA. I can say vaginal. Vaginal, vaginal,vaginal, VAGINAL. Face it, Reps: Women bleed through a vagina. Not a down there or va-jay-jay. A VAGINA!

by ShirleyFeeney on 7/31/2012 9:46:50 PM

I don't think it was inappropriate at all. It IS a body part, just like our hands, arms, or feet (although it is a much more private one), and I don't see how using the word would be considered offensive. It's not like the rep used an offensive, slang word for 'vagina'. THAT would be different. She just said vagina and that is the anatomically correct term! It really all depends on the context in which it was used, as well. Coming from a representative I'm sure it was fine. These people are ridiculously uptight!

by barenziah97 on 7/23/2012 12:37:06 AM

Why shouldn't girls be able to say 'vagina'?! It seems that it's 'inappropriate' for a girl to say any type of body part name, but for guys..it's perfectly OK. Ms. Brown should be allowed to speak again. If we, as girls and young women, aren't allowed to say the scientific name for one of our body parts.. then WHAT'S THE POINT OF HEALTH CLASS?! And,free speech..If the other Reps...(mainly the men) couldn't handle it..they could have 1) tuned her out; 2) left the room; 3)GROWN UP! Half of my guy friends are PERFECTLY OK with saying 'vagina'...and they are TEENAGERS!! The men Representatives should grow up..and quit being perverted teenage boys..They should grow up. Finally, I somewhat feel this as prejudiced...I don't know if anyone else does or not..bu..whatever...

by spoken4 on 7/22/2012 10:56:56 PM

THIS IS A VERY HARD ISSUE TO UNDERSTAND BUT I THINK SHE SHOULD MOST DEFFINENTLY NOT BEEN BANED BECAUSE WOMEN DONT REFER THEIR VAGINA AS A WEE WEE AND IF SHE WAS TO REFER TO A VAGINA AS A WEE WEE SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN UTTERLY HUMILIATED. HALF THE POPULATION HAS ONE SO WHY BE ASHAMED TO SAY IT. THATS MY OPINION

by ccmarie123 on 7/18/2012 8:28:09 PM

this article should have said what the context was... hard to tell this way. but still who says vajayjay?!

by kgirls2001 on 7/17/2012 12:04:20 PM

wow!!! So what are they expected to say va jay jay in health class too? ridiculous.

by sidneyricerules18 on 7/16/2012 6:47:20 PM

I think it depends on the context in which it was used. I know I have heard it used in offensive ways before, (mostly by immature teen boys), but if it was used in a serious manner, it shouldn't be an issue. You don't get in trouble for saying uterus, fallopian tubes, or cervix. (Although this does make me wonder what their conversation was in which she needed to say vagina!)

by cahbead21 on 7/16/2012 11:53:37 AM

I believe she said the right word vagina is the scientific word and i believe it is alot better then saying "va-jay-jay" or saying "down there" considering she is a smart women. I believe the men are wrong for doing that because they are not man enough to here the word vagina. I believe the men were wrong in Lisa Brown's defense.

by iluvcake2000 on 7/15/2012 10:49:49 PM