14 HOURS AGO Bust out a brand new you! How, you may ask? We have all the answers right here!: http://t.co/hC70M42weR

14 HOURS AGO Who run the world? Girls (& tampons)!: http://t.co/sF2jsA3yCU

15 HOURS AGO RT @Amber_Montana: Thanks for including me in your magazine this month @girlslifemag! pic.twitter.com/i536Du2w8k

COMMENTS

4 signs your period is coming

Your period always come at the most annoying times, but it’s even worse when you’re not expecting it. If your periods have been irregular, there are still...

I have a swim competition in like 5 hours i have mu period and my mum won't be home by then (shes at work) there are some tampons in the house but I cant seem to find the instructions. I guess I know what to do but it hurts after I get it halfway in there. What do I do? Do u have any tips on how to use tampons?

Hey girl! We have lots of tips, check out http://www.girlslife.com/post/2009/06/23/007-Period-Advice.aspx to help you out.  xoxo

Kate G.

by Sarah_12 on 8/3/2012 12:34:23 PM

Mod mod mod
Okay so now that I know it's my period how do I tell my mum I got it?

Hey babe,

Check out this article for tips on spilling the beans! <3

Lauren C.

by Sarah_12 on 8/3/2012 12:40:18 AM

Hey Smile
I've never had my period before. But I might have started today. Today I was talking to my friend cause I went over to her house, then when I got home I really neede to go pee. So I ran to the bathroom and took off my pants and there was this red/brownish stain in my underwear. I don't know If this is my period so I didnt tell my mum yet (shes not even home she went to the store) can u tell if this is my period or not? (p.s. it wasn't that heavy but it was like I don't know umm regular....)

Hey girlie,

It sounds like your period! It's normal for periods to start off light at first, kinda a reddish brown. Try using a pantyliner for now and keep an eye on it - and don't be scared to tell your mom! Smile She's been there!
Lauren C.

by Sarah_12 on 8/2/2012 8:31:07 PM

MOD
I'm only 11, but is it true that you are supposed to get your period around the same time that your mom did??
Also what is discharge??

Hey girl! Girls often get their periods around the same time that their mom did.  Discharge is any substance that you notice on your underwear. xxoo
Maggie P.

by Littlepuppygirl on 8/2/2012 4:37:12 PM

Mod Mod Mod. I'm thirteen and still havnt had my period. I feel like I have a bunch of the symptoms that it is coming but it never does. I know that you can be 16 and get your period for the first time but someone told me that you would get around the same time that your mom did. She got it when she was 12. Is there any health reasons that I wouldn't get it? thanks

Hey girl! It will come! If you are concerned, talk to your mom or a doctor. xxoo
Maggie P.

by isyrocks on 8/2/2012 3:03:38 PM

Ok, this is really embarrassing, but I think I'm depressed. At first I thought it was just because I was on my period, but for 4 months now I've been smiling a lot less and withdrawing from everyone. I feel useless. I don't want to talk about it with my parents because they might make me go to counseling, and my friends will think I'm just being dramatic. What should I do?

by PeAcHeS!!!! on 8/1/2012 2:42:43 PM

Mod mod mod
I have to get a physical for my parents insurance, and I was wondering what the doctor will do? I'm 14 & the last time I had a physical was 3 years ago. Now that I have started my period, will any part of the physical change? It's with my pediatrition that I have had my whole life. Oh, how do I bring up irregular periods with my doctor, & my mom? My periods have been irregular since January, & the only person I have told was my BFF. I NOT open to talking about periods with my mom, even though she has been there & done that, is still akward. So I really want to regulate my periods, because I have been getting them twice a month since jan. I think the reason I haven't told my mom about my periods is because I'm scared that there could be something wrong & I would have to go the gynecologist. What could my doctor do about my irregular periods anyway? Please help me, I'm scared.

Hey chica! Your physical will probably be about the same, though the doctor may feel your breasts for lumps.  If you want, you can ask your mom to leave the room before you change and tell your doctor about your periods.  If she doesn't want to leave, you can always just focus on telling your doctor.  Not telling someone because you think something might be wrong isn't going to help you, Your doctor may put you on medicine to help regulate your periods or he may wait to see if they regulate themselves.  Irregular periods are SUPER common.  Getting your period twice as often as usual is much less worrisome than not getting it.  Either way, talk to your doctor and they will be able to help.  xoxo

Kate G.

by Girlzrock123 on 7/31/2012 12:20:39 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
I'm sorry, I didn't know where to put this. I'm seriously questioning my mental health right now. I'm getting so stressed out about school (because of bullies) and it's the middle of the summer. I'm fine, but then I think about it or something happens over the internet and I just feel depressed. I really don't know how to deal with this. I told my mom I wanted to see a therapist or something, but she just thinks I'm being overdramatic. Thinking about school makes my heart fludder and it makes breathing hard. I'm so scared, and I'm crying now. I really think something is wrong with me.

Hey! You're going to be ok, and I'm really glad you got online to chat about your feelings. No one likes to have their feelings invalidated, so I'm sorry your mom thinks you're being overdramatic. If people at your school are bullying you, you have to stand up for yourself. Don't let them make you feel less than you are, which is an amazing, thoughtful person. Have you tried talking to someone about it at school? Friends can help you shake the blues and also help you bring these issues to a teacher, which is where they should be brought. Thousands of kids are experienceing what you are. You are not alone. If you ever feel so upset that you have thoughts of hurting yourself or other people, please don't hesitate to go here: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx

Good luck!

Helen S.

by hannahrose116 on 7/30/2012 5:20:21 PM

I got my first period, and it was pretty heavy. Is that normal? I heard that your first period was supposed to be light.

by madds07 on 7/28/2012 9:31:36 PM

mod mod mod
Help I'm going camping with my period and I don't know if it's going to be really light or if it's going to be my usaslly change my pad every two hours. Also we take hikes that are like three hours long. What should I do??

Hey girl,

If you have to change your pad on a hike, just tell everyone you're going to the bathroom. They won't know the difference! Don't let that keep you from having fun Smile

Meghan D.