AN HOUR AGO Get high-fashion hair—even when you’re on the field! Here’s how: http://t.co/0fevI8C9AK

AN HOUR AGO Chat w. @PeytonList + you could win her signed copy of GL! Follow @girlslifemag or visit http://t.co/7oz2xj5ydi at 6p/EST to join #GLpeyton

2 HOURS AGO #RECIPES: 5 fall-inspired smoothies to try ASAP…as in now…as in RIGHT now!: http://t.co/olK6obrCUH

COMMENTS

Is your tanning salon lying to you?

Sources say yes. According to a congressional study, investigators discovered that when teens asked about the risks of indoor tanning, 90 percent of salons said...

That is sooo horrible!!! I have never used a tanning bed and never want to!

by fallsb-ball on 7/17/2012 3:29:18 PM

i've always wanted to do a tanning bed, but am scared to.

by heather99 on 7/17/2012 2:55:52 PM

OH MY GOSH NO Im already tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tan and one of my friends used one she said it was a stupid decision of her

by TSfan#1 on 7/17/2012 2:24:12 PM

Besides the obvious major issue of getting skin cancer or increasing your likely hood of getting it, tanning beds can also put you at risk for staph infections!! Either way, tanning is not a good idea because it can lead to melanoma, staph infections, and skin damage later in life. If you want to tan, go outside when it's sunny but be sure to use sunscreen!

by cocoloco651 on 7/17/2012 1:21:40 PM

Yeah; tanning in the tanning beds before age 21 can increase your risk of skin cancer by 20% every time you go. My friend is only 12 and she tans in the tanning bed. I told her it's very harmful to her skin, but.... well, I don't know what she did.

by Christiangal345 on 7/17/2012 11:05:55 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
Hey GL! Thx for awnsering all my questions! Ok so I need help. Is it not proper for me to text guys that I've never even talked to, including my crush? I was txting them and my friends still are but I can't because my mom said it was improper! Thx again

Hey girl!  Your mom is a little right- you should be texting guys you talk to in person.  It's fine to talk more in text, especially if you don't see each other a lot in person, but introduce yourself in person before you start texting him.  If you've chatted in person, you'll have an excuse to text him.  Besides, if you only talk to him with your thumbs, how do you know if you really like him?  xoxo

Kate G.

by Leb1199 on 7/17/2012 10:34:10 AM

Like the page on Facebook: Hold A Child's Hand! It's for a really good cause! With just one like, you will be helping a child with cancer!

by thumperella14 on 7/17/2012 10:29:03 AM

Here is a good cause my friends and I are involved in, it's a page on Facebook called "Hold A Child's Hand". Here's what it's about:
There were many goals we wanted to accomplish with our project. One of our goals was to raise awareness of the importance of the preservative free drug called, Methotrexate. (a drug that helps children fighting cancer) This medication has been in short supply for some time, and we decided that we would contact the congressmen of all 50 states, as well as President Obama, to inform them of the issue. Another goal was to help families who are affected by childhood cancer. To do this, we planned many events to raise money for cancer research and financial assistance for families. Our goal was to raise at least $1000 for a foundation called “Alex’s Lemonade Stand” which focuses on finding a cure for childhood cancer, and providing funds to help families as their child endures treatment. Another goal was to raise $150 for the Ronald McDonald House Charities.

by thumperella14 on 7/17/2012 10:27:57 AM

Mod mod mod!
I really want to make girls more aware of the harmful effects and get people to start taking action. I watvched many of my family members and even my best friend learn the hard way and i want others to be safe. Who should i talk to first? ( like a city official, doctor, foundation ...
And for all girls reading this post...
For all of you who don't know, spray tanning is bad for you. Its better then a tanning bed but it is still bad. The chemicals dammage your skin. Your best bet is always a lotion with a graduall tanning effect. And yes, you still need to wear sunscrean!

Hey girl! Good for you for wanting to get involved. Try starting on a small scale, like your school.  Talk to your principal when school starts about having an awareness day or an assembly showing the negative effects of fake tanning.  From there, you can reach out to a city official or the superintendant of your school district to get more people involved.  Good luck!

Kate G.

by sprinklz28 on 7/17/2012 2:34:55 AM

Sami_McDoodle I really don't think that any part of a tanning bed is healthy for you. Maybe tanning naturally in the sun because it helps you soak up vitiman D. But tanning beds are bad news!!

by 15hayhay on 7/17/2012 12:19:36 AM