AN HOUR AGO 20 ways to flirt with your crush: http://t.co/M6GN4Lfh2r

1 HOURS AGO RT @InternQueen: SO excited to have execs from @USATODAYcollege @GOLINglobal @girlslifemag & more at 1st ever #InternQueenParty #DC! http:/http://t.co/FPbSl5siz2

2 HOURS AGO Glam up with @thegivermovie-inspired nail polish: http://t.co/BZdTlAzmjY

COMMENTS

Welcome to the saving generation

Congrats, babes, on learning how to handle money problems. A recent survey by TD Ameritrade found that “generation Z,” which includes people from 13 to...

I'm a saver. I just feel weird spending money on things I don't need. Smile Since I was really young, like 5, my mom has been saying before you buy something, first think: Do you REALLY need it? If you truly need it me or your dad will buy it for you. And if it's a want, how long will you use it? Is it worth the money you worked hard on earning? Will it really be useful? When I was like 9 I wanted a lot of things, but I bought a lot less of them because of that advice.

by ivy shimmer on 5/30/2013 4:37:38 PM

I usually save money when I have something planned to buy. Other times I just don't buy anything because I have nothing to buy, but I will buy random things when I have enough money and I'm not saving.

by Goldforever on 3/3/2013 11:09:27 PM

I save tons of money by going to my local thrift/resale shops...If you find the right one, there's lots of brand name clothing without the huge cost! I like the resale shops that sell clothes for teens the best...there's one near me where i have found lots of brand name shirts and jeans for like...6 bucks!!!

by peace&luv09 on 8/4/2012 10:00:21 PM

Hey iWillWrite, you could have a yard sale or donate some of your clothes and shoes to a thrift store. Check out Wal-Mart.com for some cheap graphic tablets. Hope this helps! Xoxo

MODMODMOD
So I'm looking in to buying a laptop. The ones I'm looking at are around 300 to 500 dollars. Right now I have around 250 and my sister is thinking about helping pay too. And I water my neighbours plants. Is there any other ways to make money quickly (maybe even before summer's over?). I'm already looking in to baby sitting, so I need more ideas. I will do just about whatever I need to. I am a writer and an artist so I also want the computer for that.
P.S. Do you know any good 'drawing tablet' things that are cheap? They're the ones that hook up to the computer. Thanks,
iWillWrite Lynae P.

by iWillWrite on 8/4/2012 3:19:42 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
HELP I WANT TO SAVE MONEY TO BUY A REALLY CUTE PURSE .
how do i start??

Hey girl! Start by putting aside half of everything you get.  If you get money for your birthday or an allowance, put aside half towards the purse. Good luck! xoxo

Kate G.

by jaxsmin on 8/1/2012 12:34:35 PM

Oh, yeah, go generation Z! I have about $500 dollars in the bank and I earned it all from babysitting and winning a writing contest.

by pinkbubblegum98 on 7/23/2012 9:55:15 PM

yay! us generation z's are finally getting credit and not being put down for being spoiled and lazy!

by girlygirl22werock on 7/19/2012 4:57:31 PM

@fallsb-ball hey i do that saving plan, and i know firsthand that it's SUPER effective! haha all of my friends say i'm a cheapskate cuz i hate spending money. Smile

by livvirox12 on 7/18/2012 4:17:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
so i really want to buy 2 things that are about $30. i really want to get an ihome for my ipod, the cheapest is $30 and i also really want to get a pet fish wich food, fish, tank and everything is also $30. i never get money, wich should i get and, how can i get more money (it took 2 yrs to get $20)? there arn't any little kids in my neighborhood and when i do get jobs i get really under paid the last time i was paid $10 for watching 4 kids for 3 hrs! HELP! (i am not greedy)Smile thankx!

Hey! personally, I would get the ihome, because it's less of a responsibility ;) http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/06/20/Cant-find-a-summer-job-Create-your-own.aspx

Helen S.

by favcolorgreen on 7/17/2012 6:53:53 PM

Need advice on things like boys, mean girls, fashion and just plain embarrassing things? Then join girls ONLY VIP, we give advice on anything and everything about being a girl! So join today! There are a few positions open!

by PeaceKool on 7/17/2012 6:28:42 PM

WAIT! so if they are generation Z then what am i?? negative A?!

by WhiteStripe3 on 7/17/2012 4:28:49 PM

Mod Mod Mod!!!
I need to raise $55.00 by this Monday!!! Oh, and, um, I'm on vacation.

Hey Girl--

Are you on vacation with your parents? If so, can they pay you to do small chores while on vacation-- like going to the store and making lunch? although $55 is pretty steep. Can you borrow the money from your parents and promise to pay it back?

good luck

Simone S.

by Sarah510 on 7/17/2012 3:42:31 PM

I heard about this trick that everytime you get a $5 bill, stash it away and in a couple years it'll all add up.

by fallsb-ball on 7/17/2012 3:23:25 PM

OK, I'm 12 so this doesn't really apply to me, but I rock at saving. I'm the youngest and only girl of 3 kids, and my mom always comments on my saving. I usually only buy what I need. Or really, REALLY, want. But it's still fun to buy a few things I just like sometimes. Also, at places like Target, buy from the $1-5 sections. You'd be surprised at the fun stuff in there.

by silverroseart on 7/17/2012 11:41:19 AM

I'm 14... should I have a plan? I have $350 saved up in a bank, and I consistently have about $60 with me at home and in my wallet. idk really what to do about college...so confused

Hey girl! Talk to your parents about how much you'll be expected to pay for when it comes to college.  That will let you know if you need to be planning this early or if you can wait awhile.  xoxo

Kate G.

by parischick2 on 7/17/2012 11:36:58 AM

MODMODMODMODMODMOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i need to know something. my dream is to live in japan. i'm slowly learning the language and i am really into the culture. do you think my dream is a little out there? and if not, what are some refrences i can use to get started?

Hey girl!  Living in Japan sounds like an awesome dream, and there are lots of ways to get started.  Think about going abroad in high school or college- there are lots of options (including Japan).  You'll be able to get a taste of the culture and get better at the language.  Good luck! xoxo

Kate G.

by fashionvamp123 on 7/17/2012 10:51:18 AM

I scour my closet about every two months for things that don't fit, that have gotten stuffed in a corner, that I never wear anymore, and then sell them to Plato's closet. It's a really awesome way to get an average of like $15. And if you manage to do frequently it adds up.

I also save my coins, which add up really fast.

by svds on 7/17/2012 10:49:27 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
Ok so I kinda have a little crush on one of my guy friends. It's not like we're best friends or anything so I'm not having the whole BGF crisis going on, but we are friends. He tells me EVERYTHING about who he likes, asks me for advice, and sometimes asks for help delivering a message to the girl he likes since I'm really good friends with her. Recently he told me he stopped liking her, and started liking someone else. And he won't tell me. A friend of mine says that he obviously likes me but I don't wanna jump to conclusions. So we joke a lot, talk a lot, and never run out of things to say to eachother. Do you think he could like me? Or am I jumping the gun??? UGH!!! WHY DO BOYS HAVE TO BE SO COMPLICATED????

Hey chica! Sounds like he likes you, especially if he's told you everything before but won't 'fess up now.  Why not let him know that you're crushin'?  He might be inspired to make a move if he knows you're interested.  xoxo

Kate G.

by floridagrl123 on 7/17/2012 10:41:42 AM

Whenever i get money as a gift, or I recently earned it, I take half and put it in this envelope that my mom keeps.I'm not allowed to take money from it unless for a MAJOR emergency. I admit sometimes you wanna have all the money, but I'd rather buy less now so I can worry less later. Smile

by floridagrl123 on 7/17/2012 10:37:10 AM

Like the page on Facebook: "Hold A Child's Hand"! it's for a really good cause!

by thumperella14 on 7/17/2012 10:21:47 AM

Here is a good cause my friends and I are involved in, it's a page on Facebook called "Hold A Child's Hand". Here's what it's about:
There were many goals we wanted to accomplish with our project. One of our goals was to raise awareness of the importance of the preservative free drug called, Methotrexate. (a drug that helps children fighting cancer) This medication has been in short supply for some time, and we decided that we would contact the congressmen of all 50 states, as well as President Obama, to inform them of the issue. Another goal was to help families who are affected by childhood cancer. To do this, we planned many events to raise money for cancer research and financial assistance for families. Our goal was to raise at least $1000 for a foundation called “Alex’s Lemonade Stand” which focuses on finding a cure for childhood cancer, and providing funds to help families as their child endures treatment. Another goal was to raise $150 for the Ronald McDonald House Charities.

by thumperella14 on 7/17/2012 10:21:14 AM

Mod Mod Mod!
I have a huge crush on my friend's cousin who lives 7 hours away. Distance is not the problem, though, the problem is that I REALLY like him, but I'm not sure if he likes me back. I can't be too flirty because my friend is there and that would be awkward (mainly because she would tease me for liking him)... Well, my question is, how can I "win" the heart of my crush? Is it appropriate? Thank you Mod! <3

Hey girl!  Winning the heart of a guy who is seven hours away without your friend knowing is tough.  First off, you might not think distance is an issue, but once he goes back home, it'll be nearly impossible to hold on to your relationship.  Mixing that with the fact that your friend would make things awkward, maybe it's for the best if you find a guy a little closer to home to win the heart of.  xoxo

Kate G.

by littlemissbubbly on 7/17/2012 1:00:25 AM

Ever wonder what other girls feel? Think you're the only one who feels this way or that? Well, you're in luck! This club gives you a question, quote, fact, quiz, or link to a video or website! Come back every day to answer and check! You can also ask me questions about anything- from the first day of school to the missed episode of Glee. Feel free to ask- or say, anything! Join my club, A Question A Day Keeps The Doctor Away.

by pretty123 on 7/16/2012 11:25:25 PM

If you made a lot of money recently or something, you can save money by taking half of the money with you if you go to the mall or something and then leave the other half at home so if you're tempted to buy something and you already spent all the money you have with you, you won't be able to buy anything else and waste all your money since you kept the rest safe at home! Smile

by PeaceKool on 7/16/2012 10:27:01 PM

@ceILOL2000:
That's a really smart idea! You can still have a little spending money but you're saving a lot!

by sofiespi on 7/16/2012 10:25:42 PM

WATCH THIS! It's me singingSmile

by fireworks1071 on 7/16/2012 9:52:17 PM

My secrets are to search around the web for things that I might want. I write them down and the price and I figure out what ones I want the most. Then, I save up my money for those things and the other things I remove from the list! Smile

by Ekgurl on 7/16/2012 8:02:45 PM

I babysit a lot, so I usually have money to spare. As far as budgeting goes, I normally try to save all of my 20 and 10 dollar bills for long term stuff, (like college) and do whatever I want with my 1s and 5s.

by celLOL2000 on 7/16/2012 7:51:58 PM

When I have money I manage it well and usually keep it for a while.

by Acutiebookworm on 7/16/2012 7:49:03 PM

I don't spend any of my money
Everything I need, my parents buy for me

by Bobalina on 7/16/2012 7:12:20 PM

I save lots of money! One of my secrets are to only use the money when I DESPERATELY need it. I also have two piggy banks: one for when I am saving up for something, and the other for extra money when I need it.

by Rey on 7/16/2012 7:07:57 PM

I don't have an exact budget planned out, but I do save a lot of my money. My secrets to saving are to set aside at least half of your money, and make sure not to take from it until you're making a big purchase you've saved up for. Also, whenever I go to the mall or anywhere where I might be tempted to spend money on things I don't really need, I make sure to only bring a limited amount of cash.

by supersingershannon on 7/16/2012 6:43:20 PM