1 HOURS AGO 6 ways to revamp your fresh veggies: http://t.co/uVLIaiXDOB

2 HOURS AGO The trick to beating body envy: http://t.co/e3zU4Mbgnb

3 HOURS AGO GL's top 20 fave nail polish colors: http://t.co/pM4hyH3vhw

COMMENTS

Are girls ditching sports for style?

A recent study conducted by the Women’s Sports Foundation and Gatorade showed that many girls aren’t playing sports past the age of 14. Even though the same...

WHAT NONE OF YOU ARE GETTING is the actual underlying message here. its not whether or not you can wear makeup AND play sports at the same time (obviously you can do both), its society being geared towards men playing sports (lets face it, we know WAY more male sports stars than female athletes) and women looking pretty, partying and getting boyfriends. you all know it's true.
heck, girlslife even advocates this. and its not a completely horrible thing, but its how life is for girls at this point.
without enough encouragement from peers and the media, girls wont want to continue in sports unless they are extremely driven to do so. for guys, sports is a given.
i think this advert for gatorade and the WSF is a great idea, and hopefulky makes a change for females in sports.

by nebulavision on 7/22/2012 10:18:35 PM

i dont think that most of the girls i know that will quit sports that quick.... go ahead and try but its not happening. i too am into my sports way to much... even though i want to start wearing makeup but that doesnt mean its gonna stop me from my sports... ;)

by amileofroses on 7/22/2012 10:11:23 PM

Well, I don't really know where to stand on this. I know of a lot of "pretty" girls who don't play sports. But then, is the reason they don't play because of beauty, or because they don't want to, or for some other reason? I don't think that we can really make a conclusion on this unless there is an extensive survey of some sort.

by Fly1213 on 7/22/2012 9:47:28 PM

I love sports and wear makeup. You can have both. Smile

by margaretrhiana on 7/22/2012 9:47:04 PM

This is kinda unfair. I'm a 13 year old girl who does competitive school and competitive allstar cheerleading teams, every day a week for three hours and all day camps and practices. I'm just lucky to have barely enough time to work on school. There are so many variables not controlled, you can't just go out and say things like this when girls are dealing with drama, unfair coaching (we've all had them, girlies!), family problems, friend problems, and other things happening in our lives. Some girls need one less stressful thing to worry about !

by kenzi143 on 7/22/2012 9:43:22 PM

I'm pretty sure we can have the best of both worlds. I date other athletes so we have sports in common. Playing sports keeps me fit, and who cares about makeup during a sport. We have practice right after school so ya I wear makeup to school and make my hair look good but as soon as practice starts or a game starts my hair is back in a pony tail and sweat replaces the make-up and my guy is there, cheering me on. Girls can definitely have the best of both worlds.

by luve2cheer on 7/22/2012 7:55:57 PM

and btw, the 1st time i saw this commercial was when i was at a tournament for soccer! ironic right Tong but this is really stupid.

by dojhallow97 on 7/22/2012 7:39:59 PM

Ok that is so so so so stupid! Im a 14 year old girl who plays very competitive soccer, wears makeup, cares about style, likes guys but still loves sports! I wouldnt give up playing sports for enything! This study is all wrong! you can be pretty and still play sports. They need to stop blaming crap on the fashion world... its everyones own choice.

by dojhallow97 on 7/22/2012 7:37:56 PM

I don't even wear makeup...

by topchef88 on 7/22/2012 7:17:16 PM

I think it's a good theory, but it's mostly made up of several peoples' opinions. It could be a reason as to why some girls quit sports at age 14, but personally for me I've gotten into more sports as I've gotten older! When I'm not on the field and in school, I present myself very nice and I LOVE having nice clothes but that all goes away when I'm playing my favorite sport! I wouldn't let the glamour of it all stop me from playing the game. I believe that the majority of girls quit sports at age 14, do to entering high school which brings a massive load of homework, more of a social life, and having jobs and such. I don't believe that clothing and makeup would stop their athletic life.

by michipie205 on 7/22/2012 6:44:22 PM