12 HOURS AGO It's official—we're obsessing over Jacquie Lee's new EP: http://t.co/dHZwPbO3da

15 HOURS AGO Homework? What homework? #Crewel is on @wattpad for free! #bookworm #bookclub http://t.co/TsLFsrnwAH

16 HOURS AGO Join the GL gram fam and follow us on Insta for pretty pix and behind-the-scenes snaps: http://t.co/Umf3MGtn7Y

COMMENTS

Are girls ditching sports for style?

A recent study conducted by the Women’s Sports Foundation and Gatorade showed that many girls aren’t playing sports past the age of 14. Even though the same...

Wow. This is ALL WRONG. I see girls quit sports because they don't like it, or they're too busy, Gymnastics is ALOT of reponsibility for me.

by Dee_Has_Cookiez on 7/22/2012 10:44:42 AM

And GL is kind of saying in this article, "since sporty girls don't ever wear makeup or think about style or have crushes..."

by WinnieGirlie on 7/22/2012 10:06:57 AM

No offense GL, but this is just not a good article! It seems like you are just "assuming" that that is why. This article is a lie! boypolar is right, "what's wrong with thinking about boys? We just like to hope" and ya, boys weren't "MADE" for just the "super girly-I-dont-do-sports" you know... And boypolar, again, is right! This study is MAYBE going to convert more girls to do that...

by WinnieGirlie on 7/22/2012 10:05:45 AM

This is sooooooooo not right. I play basketball and volleyball, I'm trying out for both at my school this year, thankfully volleyball is a no-cut sport, but basketball is.

by Foodiejr99 on 7/22/2012 9:38:45 AM

I know for sure they can count me out of this study. I play volleyball and basketball, wear no makeup at age 14, can care less for haveing a boyfriend, ane wear sport shorts on a daily basis. But it's so typical nowadays all you see on tv and in books are girls who obsess over how they look and getting the guy of their dreams.

by smilemia26 on 7/22/2012 9:07:59 AM

that is so untrue. In my small school, sports are everything. Yes once we hit jr high our girls basketball team went from five to two, but beauty was not the reason. I learn from wearing bball shorts and a tshirt as a fashion statement, what you wear on you or your face is not the reason.

by smilemia26 on 7/22/2012 8:58:50 AM

i think most of the girls at my school quit sports because they started in middle school to be social, then realized they don't really like that sport after all, or are just plain too busy with other activities. i don't play any sports, i played soccer when i was five, but it's not because of style or whatever. i have so much other stuff going on between odyssey, drama, student council, and obnoxious ap homework. i do exercise, though. my school is a bad example for all of these things, because the really popular people (not the ones that just fit the "popular" stereotype) are the nerdy/athletic/yes, pretty/but mostly just nice and fun, etc. type...

by the_last_ninja on 7/22/2012 7:30:35 AM

MOD!!!!MOD!!!MOD!!!
first of all-there stereotyping us!!!! not all girls love make-up and i swim a ton!
second-i think the reason girls are quitting sport is because after a while you realize you have a slim chance at becoming a athlete and you have to try different clubs!!!

by Prim on 7/22/2012 6:44:24 AM

I think its because teens have so little time after school and homework to do anything. Ive noticec that compared to our parents we spend way more time on school work than they did. Its because of colleges amping up requirments, so kids need to start on the long road of too much work starting freshman year....its just how things are these days

by AnimalHugger1000 on 7/22/2012 4:33:20 AM

No there not ditching for style! Doing sports takes a LOT of time, and not everybody has that much. It's also a lot of HARD WORK and some people aren't cut out for that. This is so stupid!

by georgetownroad on 7/22/2012 12:53:52 AM