9 HOURS AGO Skip the scars and heal your skin: http://t.co/oZ1zJSC0Wc

12 HOURS AGO Sleeping with makeup on? Talk about a big beauty no-no: http://t.co/dS4jko36NM

13 HOURS AGO The easiest move for totally toned thighs: http://t.co/Anf69Zawxq

COMMENTS

Survive high school with our how-to guide

Freaked about making the leap from middle school to high school? Breathe easy, babe—you’ve got this year in the bag! Here are your new school dos ‘n’...

MOD.
I don't know what to do. I've always put all of my energy towards school. It occupies the majority of my time and there's barely any time to relax or go do something outside. I graduated with a 4.0 last year. This year, getting good grades is just a little more time consuming, and I'm more than willing. I spend a minimum of six hours a day on homework. This coming week will mark my first month of school and I have all 100's and one 98. Right now I have a 4.4 GPA and I don't have time to exercise. I'm participating in a school sport but the season won't start until winter. I don't think I'll even have time for that, but I'm going to try. I don't think I'm fat. I just think I'm chubby. When I was in sixth grade I used to be able to beat all of the freshman boys in arm wrestling. I'm in high school now and I just want to be skinnier. I want to feel better about myself.

Hey girl,

Stop being so hard on yourself, it sounds like you've got a lot to be proud of! It's great that you want to start exercising, and there are ways to do that without sacrificing your grades. You can exercise on the weekends when you have more time, or you can study your notes while at the gym. Staying fit is important, so talk to your parents about balancing your schedule so that you have time to exercise and to study!

Meghan D.

by sonnet on 8/17/2012 9:48:30 PM

Good to know. I thought I was gonna have 2 give in to the pretty girls in my school. They hate everything about the way I look, and they can't stop picking on me!

by peppercyndaquil13 on 8/15/2012 10:36:25 PM

hahaha

The one about not giving in to peer pressure is sooo true. One of my friends is Muslim and she has to wear a head scarf. In the beginning of the year most people were really rude to her and were making fun of her for it/her religion. She held her head high and continued to be her usual nice, funny, awesome self and now she's friends with EVERYONE, even the football players who were the worst (she's really good friends wth the meanest one now). These are all great tips for high school Smile

by jewels96 on 8/15/2012 3:56:19 PM

MODMODMOD!!!
I got my schedule for high school this morning, and I don't think any of my friends are in my classes! I took advanced courses in eighth grade that they didn't take so they are going to be taking them this year. Also, everyone has lunch a different period than me. I have it 5th and they have it 6th 7th or 8th. Making new friends isn't an option because there are 100 kids per grade and we all know each other. Also, the "populars" hate me, and thats like half the grade. AND one of my BGF's is going to a different high school. HELP

Hey girl, that's a bummer that your friends don't share your sched, but kudos for taking advanced courses! Don't give up on making new friends yet, though, 'cause ya never know what new kids are gonna show up on the first day. And you'll find that the social circles tend to change up a bit as people get used to being in high school and mature a li'l more. So do your best to be open to other people, and see what happens. Smile
Carrie R.

by harley6671 on 8/15/2012 1:19:09 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
Okay so I'm gonna start my first year of high school soon and I'm REALLY nervous. I don't have any friends going to my high school and I'm kind of shy, so I'm not good at making friends. I don't know what to do! Please help Frown

Hey girl--

Remember-- you won't be the only new girl! And EVERYONE is nervous about starting HS. Just be friendly and try to join a few clubs or a sports team. Tons of other people will be looking to make new friends so you def won't be alone.

good luck!
simone s.

by toinfinityandbeyond on 8/14/2012 2:55:09 PM

this is great advice, thanks a ton! class of 2016 ♥

by steph4nie on 8/10/2012 12:01:33 PM

Thanks GL. You guy are DA BOMB. Haha, I know how immature that sounds. Smile

by girlygirl22werock on 8/7/2012 5:55:37 PM

modmodmod!!
ok so last month when i got my period, i tried a tampon. it was awesome while it was in, but took a TON of effort to pull out and kinda hurt, so ive never worn one since cuz im afraid of them. well tomorrow theres a swimming party at a lake and i have my period and im SO SCARED!! i cant wear a tampon agin, its gonna hurt and i just dont like them. i really need advice on what to do, i dont know what im gonna do!!! i love swimming..please help!! sorry this is so long and its just like all the other tampon stories, but i really need help. thanks! xoxo

Hey girl! Tampons are kind of like bandaids- they hurt once you try and take them off (or out).  Also like a bandaid, the quickest way to deal with a tampon is to yank it out quickly.  It might take some practice (and hurt a little bit until you get used to it), but eventually you'll get the hang of it.  Don't be scared of tampons- they are there to make your life easier, not cause you stress.  xoxo

Kate G.

by lilmissamazing on 8/7/2012 12:04:41 PM

MOD
I just got back from Japan and I'm going to be staying Shanghai for the rest of the summer but I have to miss the first day of my first year in high school! Should I call the school to let them know? Will the teachers be there a couple days before school starts? I'm worried about whether or not it's a big deal to miss the first day, like how much I'll be missing and if everyone will think I'm weird? Will finding my way around the school be harder? Help!

Hey girl,

You should call or email the school just so they know, but if you let them know in advance they should be fine with it! Everyone will probably be jealous that you got to be a world traveler Smile And I'm sure you'll find your way around the school after a few days, so don't worry!

Meghan D.

by waterwish555 on 8/3/2012 11:33:12 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!
I start high school as a freshman on August 7th. I got my schedule and found out that my homeroom class is filled with 10th, 11th, and 12th graders and I only know of one girl that's in the 9th grade in there, and me and her don't get along very well..And the same thing happens in my family dynamics class! And the classes are an hour and 45 minutes because we're on block schedule, so they're very long. I wasn't nervous until I got my schedule and now I'm so scared! Freshmen and sophomores,juniors, and seniors do NOT mix. Any advice? Thanks(:

Hey girl,

Relax! Everyone is nervous before high school, even the people who are now in the upper grades! You will be fine! We have a lot of posts on starting at a new school, so check out this link! http://www.girlslife.com/tag/new-school.aspx

Meghan D.