1 HOURS AGO Are you feelin' the FOMO when you're super busy—we wanna know: http://t.co/UQrYD4QkDD

2 HOURS AGO #PhotoMathApp —homework helper, or cheating device? http://t.co/pUKISaXdYG

3 HOURS AGO 10 last minute costumes straight from your closet: http://t.co/PUCimvKw1G

COMMENTS

Survive high school with our how-to guide

Freaked about making the leap from middle school to high school? Breathe easy, babe—you’ve got this year in the bag! Here are your new school dos ‘n’...

MOD.
I don't know what to do. I've always put all of my energy towards school. It occupies the majority of my time and there's barely any time to relax or go do something outside. I graduated with a 4.0 last year. This year, getting good grades is just a little more time consuming, and I'm more than willing. I spend a minimum of six hours a day on homework. This coming week will mark my first month of school and I have all 100's and one 98. Right now I have a 4.4 GPA and I don't have time to exercise. I'm participating in a school sport but the season won't start until winter. I don't think I'll even have time for that, but I'm going to try. I don't think I'm fat. I just think I'm chubby. When I was in sixth grade I used to be able to beat all of the freshman boys in arm wrestling. I'm in high school now and I just want to be skinnier. I want to feel better about myself.

Hey girl,

Stop being so hard on yourself, it sounds like you've got a lot to be proud of! It's great that you want to start exercising, and there are ways to do that without sacrificing your grades. You can exercise on the weekends when you have more time, or you can study your notes while at the gym. Staying fit is important, so talk to your parents about balancing your schedule so that you have time to exercise and to study!

Meghan D.

by sonnet on 8/17/2012 9:48:30 PM

Good to know. I thought I was gonna have 2 give in to the pretty girls in my school. They hate everything about the way I look, and they can't stop picking on me!

by peppercyndaquil13 on 8/15/2012 10:36:25 PM

hahaha

The one about not giving in to peer pressure is sooo true. One of my friends is Muslim and she has to wear a head scarf. In the beginning of the year most people were really rude to her and were making fun of her for it/her religion. She held her head high and continued to be her usual nice, funny, awesome self and now she's friends with EVERYONE, even the football players who were the worst (she's really good friends wth the meanest one now). These are all great tips for high school Smile

by jewels96 on 8/15/2012 3:56:19 PM

MODMODMOD!!!
I got my schedule for high school this morning, and I don't think any of my friends are in my classes! I took advanced courses in eighth grade that they didn't take so they are going to be taking them this year. Also, everyone has lunch a different period than me. I have it 5th and they have it 6th 7th or 8th. Making new friends isn't an option because there are 100 kids per grade and we all know each other. Also, the "populars" hate me, and thats like half the grade. AND one of my BGF's is going to a different high school. HELP

Hey girl, that's a bummer that your friends don't share your sched, but kudos for taking advanced courses! Don't give up on making new friends yet, though, 'cause ya never know what new kids are gonna show up on the first day. And you'll find that the social circles tend to change up a bit as people get used to being in high school and mature a li'l more. So do your best to be open to other people, and see what happens. Smile
Carrie R.

by harley6671 on 8/15/2012 1:19:09 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
Okay so I'm gonna start my first year of high school soon and I'm REALLY nervous. I don't have any friends going to my high school and I'm kind of shy, so I'm not good at making friends. I don't know what to do! Please help Frown

Hey girl--

Remember-- you won't be the only new girl! And EVERYONE is nervous about starting HS. Just be friendly and try to join a few clubs or a sports team. Tons of other people will be looking to make new friends so you def won't be alone.

good luck!
simone s.

by toinfinityandbeyond on 8/14/2012 2:55:09 PM

this is great advice, thanks a ton! class of 2016 ♥

by steph4nie on 8/10/2012 12:01:33 PM

Thanks GL. You guy are DA BOMB. Haha, I know how immature that sounds. Smile

by girlygirl22werock on 8/7/2012 5:55:37 PM

modmodmod!!
ok so last month when i got my period, i tried a tampon. it was awesome while it was in, but took a TON of effort to pull out and kinda hurt, so ive never worn one since cuz im afraid of them. well tomorrow theres a swimming party at a lake and i have my period and im SO SCARED!! i cant wear a tampon agin, its gonna hurt and i just dont like them. i really need advice on what to do, i dont know what im gonna do!!! i love swimming..please help!! sorry this is so long and its just like all the other tampon stories, but i really need help. thanks! xoxo

Hey girl! Tampons are kind of like bandaids- they hurt once you try and take them off (or out).  Also like a bandaid, the quickest way to deal with a tampon is to yank it out quickly.  It might take some practice (and hurt a little bit until you get used to it), but eventually you'll get the hang of it.  Don't be scared of tampons- they are there to make your life easier, not cause you stress.  xoxo

Kate G.

by lilmissamazing on 8/7/2012 12:04:41 PM

MOD
I just got back from Japan and I'm going to be staying Shanghai for the rest of the summer but I have to miss the first day of my first year in high school! Should I call the school to let them know? Will the teachers be there a couple days before school starts? I'm worried about whether or not it's a big deal to miss the first day, like how much I'll be missing and if everyone will think I'm weird? Will finding my way around the school be harder? Help!

Hey girl,

You should call or email the school just so they know, but if you let them know in advance they should be fine with it! Everyone will probably be jealous that you got to be a world traveler Smile And I'm sure you'll find your way around the school after a few days, so don't worry!

Meghan D.

by waterwish555 on 8/3/2012 11:33:12 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!
I start high school as a freshman on August 7th. I got my schedule and found out that my homeroom class is filled with 10th, 11th, and 12th graders and I only know of one girl that's in the 9th grade in there, and me and her don't get along very well..And the same thing happens in my family dynamics class! And the classes are an hour and 45 minutes because we're on block schedule, so they're very long. I wasn't nervous until I got my schedule and now I'm so scared! Freshmen and sophomores,juniors, and seniors do NOT mix. Any advice? Thanks(:

Hey girl,

Relax! Everyone is nervous before high school, even the people who are now in the upper grades! You will be fine! We have a lot of posts on starting at a new school, so check out this link! http://www.girlslife.com/tag/new-school.aspx

Meghan D.

by karalyse426 on 8/3/2012 10:24:40 PM

My crush and I were in the same art class last year. We would always flirt together. He did sit with girls (his friends) at lunch. My friends think that he likes me though. In art he would talk to me for the whole class,wink,once we hugged,I've caught him looking @ me,he made me something and gave it to me and told me to put it in my room! I even asked him for his #, and he gave it to me with a smile on his face! But whenever I text him he NEVER responds. I know he gets my texts though.. I flirt back with him, but does he like me or not? Especially since he never texts back and would sit with other girls.. Is he just a player? Does he actually like me- or someone else? Thanks Frown

Hey girl,

He might not like you, or he might just not like texting. But if he's not responding, take a break from texts and try connecting in person. I can't tell you whether or not he likes you, but you can find out by hanging out with him!

Meghan D.

by Run4Life28 on 8/3/2012 7:59:46 PM

Thank you soooooooooo much GL for this post. I'm going to be a freshman this year and was kinda freaked but this post helped. Smile

by Starry~16 on 8/3/2012 1:22:36 PM

Hi girlys if u have a problem, need advice, wanna talk, vent, tell a story email me!!!! sophiecardin@yahoo.com
Xoxo

by 2-cute-2-b-true on 8/2/2012 8:55:44 PM

MODMOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!
Hello, thanks in advance!
Alright, so I am a freshman and I'm homeschooled but I seriously need a new laptop for school. But my family lives on a budget and I don't want to be completely dependant on my mother because she already solely supports 5 people. I will be 15 in January and I'm not sure how to earn money. There is only one family that I can babysit for so how can I earn money? Please please please give me options! Thank you!

Hey girl! In January you'll be able to get a job, but you'll still be dependent on your mom to get you there and back.  If you are good at crafts, you can try selling things on ETSY or have a big garage sale and get rid of stuff you don't need.  Until then, keep babysitting and see if they can recommend you to friends of their kids.  xoxo

Kate G.

by cecily on 8/1/2012 1:31:25 PM

MOD
I'm going to be a sophmore next year! I'm excited to finally not be a freshman anymore, haha. I recently bought some really fashionable red lipstick (it's orange-red, and looks good on me in my opinion and my sisters), and I want to wear it to school! Would it be too dramatic for a school look though?
Also, it fades a LOT during the day, so should I bring it with me or just let it fade off? Thanks!

Hey Girl-

It depends on your skin tone and the shade of the lipstick. If you're dark skinned, it will be less dramatic but if you're super pale-- it may be way too much. Try test driving the lipstick on a lunch date with your friends to get their verdict.

best of luck!
simone s.

by theresaa on 7/31/2012 3:42:05 PM

Can't wait for high school!!! Laughing

by unicornninja on 7/30/2012 3:54:46 PM

peer pressure is a big one

by myfatsquirrel on 7/30/2012 2:40:44 PM

Hey girls! Need help with styling your hair? Need to know the perfect hairstyle for that special occasion or for bowling with your buds? Then join my group "Hair Styling Help" (http://www.girlslife.com/Club.aspx?id=10902)! I will post hair tips and ideas daily and answer your hair questions daily! Positions are open!

by LovePeaceHope on 7/30/2012 1:03:05 PM

tips for surviving middle school? in going into 7th grade and i had a HORRIBLE year last year. I had no friends & forgot everything (including my planner, lunch money, pencils, projects and homework). I barely passed the year.

by emroxlol on 7/29/2012 2:27:20 AM

This was extremely helpful! I'm going to be a freshman this year and I'm nervous. This helped though. I'm also excited, I've wanted to be in high school since I was little! Only thing I'm kinda upset about is that there's SO many kids in my high school that they had to take the junior high across the road and turn it into a "freshman center", and build a new jr high somewhere else. So all the freshman will be in a different building than the sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Bummer right? But we're still part of the high school and I'm still excited nonetheless Smile

by barenziah97 on 7/28/2012 12:49:21 AM

I'm going to be a sophmore this year and I'm going to a new school 40 minutes away from where I live. It's a charter school that is a lot different from a normal high school. It's grades 8-12 and only 140 kids in the whole school. I'm going to be taking a train in the morning and I'm stuck in the town till 4:00 by myself. I'm not nervous about meeting new friends, because I'm very positive and friendly. But my mom is nervous about me being somewhere strange all alone where she isn't close by. I tell her I'll be fine, but truthfully, even I'm a little scared. I've never took a train by myself and I have places to go after school but I'm afraid I'll get lost and my mom made me really scared about predators.

Hey girl!

The best thing you can do is be prepared for any situation. Keep a map of the area in your bag in case you get lost. If you don't have a smartphone, maybe it would be wise to get one so if you're lost it can locate where you are and help you get where you need to be. Always be aware of your surroundings and never put yourself in a vulnerable position. Don't walk around with headphones in because then you can't hear what's going on around you. As long as you're aware of what's going on around you and know what to do in an emergency, you'll be fine! And I'm sure you will be totally safe!
Rachael A.

by new-b cool-e on 7/27/2012 4:18:43 PM

I just finished my first year of high school. It was really busy as I had a whole lot of actvites going on. One piece of advice, it's good to be involved in high school. But there is also such thing as being to involved. I was in track and field, soccer, in 3 school bands( brass and woodwind player), 2 outside bands, trumpet lessons and piano lessons,plus a whole of homework all at the same time. I missed a lot of classes for sports and band trips and had trouble getting in practice time for lessons. It's great to be involved, but there is something as being too involved!!!!Even though it was a busy year, it was fun to. Just take it slow and easy. And don't wish for the year to be over. Trust me, there'll be a times in college or university were you'll wish you were still in HS.

by toto858 on 7/27/2012 1:19:58 AM

MOD MOD MOD!
I recently moved away to another state that I'd lived in practically my whole life. I hated where we moved and I kept telling my mom that, in hopes we would move back. One year later my mom says we could move back, I want to but I also don't. What should I do?

Hey girlie,

Try to look at the situation in a "bigger picture" way. Are you happy in the new place? Have you made friends, tried to join new activities, worked hard at school? If you're making the most of the situation, you're in great shape. Now think of your family - is your mom happy in the new place? Is her job good? Will she be sad if you move back? This is a personal decision that you both have to make together - I wish we could make it for you, but we can't. Listen to your heart and think about where you both would be happiest <3
Lauren C.

by masquerade on 7/26/2012 6:44:22 PM

This is perfect timing! I'm starting high school this August and I'm really excited! I may be taking some advanced classes but I'm not too scared. Thanks GL! Smile

by rosehuber on 7/24/2012 12:09:58 PM

as a high school junior this article is right on! the one thing i've learned that is EXTREMLY important about high school is to love yourself first. if you do that you become confident, get friends (make friends from all groups! it can really help you later down the road!) and you do so much better in school. oh and DON'T procrasinate. i kinda did last year and its a pain trying to get back into things. other then that high school is so much fun! just enjoy it because you only get to be a teenager once!

by iheartu? on 7/24/2012 12:03:02 PM

Ohmygosh thank you thank you thank you GL! I've still got another year to go before high school but I'm the only one in my grade who isn't like...scared about it. Thanks againg for posting this article GL!

by HelenaPS on 7/24/2012 12:01:39 PM

I'm so glad you had this article up today. I am starting high school this year. I'm going to be in journalism, advanced English, advanced geometry, marching band, Spanish, jazz band (as a bass player),advanced concert band (wind ensemble), and geophysical science.

by thumperella14 on 7/24/2012 11:19:33 AM

The whole missing one day of high school is really true. No matter how much I hate school I know if I miss one day, I will be up late trying to get stuff done for the next week. Not worth it, these tips are pretty average though.

by topchef88 on 7/24/2012 10:22:18 AM

Mod mod.
I am going into 8th grade at my school. I'm taking a class in the morning at my local high school. I have a friend who's going with me but I'm still super nervous. Do u have any advice?

Hey chica! Stick with your bud- taking on high school as part of a pair will be much easier.  Other than that, making sure you make a good impression on the teacher, being on time, and making sure you get all of your work done should be enough to help you in class.  Outside of class, create a routine with your friend (meet in the same place every morning, leave at the same time).  Good luck! xoxo

Kate G.

by 6ftsunshine:) on 7/24/2012 10:00:51 AM

I am terrified to go into high school. It's so big and impacts your future so much! I got into all honors classes and I am already overwhelmed! I haven't really walked around at all so I have no idea where my classes are and I get sick just thinking about it! I don't have any older siblings or older friends that go there. It starts soon and I am so scared and I just don't know how to deal with it... Please help!

Hey girl!  Freshman year of high school is a learning experience, so take a deep breath and relax- everyone is adjusting!  A few days before school, go with your mom or BFF and walk around and figure out how rooms are numbered, etc.  Put extra time aside for school work- it'll be a little tougher in high school (but if they placed you in all honors, I'm sure you can handle it).  By the third week of school, you'll know how much time you need to spend on each class and it'll already feel like a routine. xoxo

Kate G.

by lovemee123 on 7/24/2012 9:44:40 AM

MoD MoD MOD
i want to become popular but i dont know how.please help!xoxo Smile

Hey girl!  By popular I'm assuming you mean having a lot of friends.  The best way to make friends is to be open to new people and ready to try new things. Good luck! xxoo
Maggie P.

by hot mess on 7/24/2012 6:58:21 AM

I'm so nervous about high school. I'm changing schools but my mom's a teacher there so she knows some of the kids and says they're nice. I'm still so nervous... This helps. Thanks, GL!

by Acutiebookworm on 7/24/2012 3:49:36 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
i have the oppertunity to go to georgia next year with my girl scout troop but i will have to save 1300 dollars OMG where will i get that kind of money???!!! help please!!!! i just have to go!!!! its not till july 2013

Hey girl! Sounds fun! But you also have a lot of time, even though that's a lot of money!  How about getting a job, like babysitting, to earn some money? Make sure you save it! Good luck! xxoo
Maggie P.

by mcw3400 on 7/24/2012 2:19:03 AM

the first one says "Do dress to impress" i go to an all girls high school and no one cares about how anyone else looks. it's great. basically it's no make up, messy buns and unshaven legs because there's no boys.

by opptop on 7/23/2012 11:17:00 PM

Middle school took about 1 month for me to get used to, but everyone takes their own amount of time

by gizmo001155 on 7/23/2012 11:11:02 PM

im going into middle school and i was just wondering about how much time it takes to get used to everything?

Hey girlie,

It won't take long at all.  For some people it only takes a day or two, for others maybe a week.  But either way, it's nothing to worry about, just enjoy yourself!
Jordan S.

by LovePeaceHope on 7/23/2012 10:42:06 PM

My dream is to go to the 2016 Rio and/or 2020 Summer Olympics for soccer. I am trying out for an Olympic development team this weekend, but do you know any tips for getting there? Thanks!

Helen S.

by carinaamina on 7/23/2012 8:37:02 PM

Hey! It really annoys me that my bf never wants to contact me first. For example, call me first or text me first. Plus, I always have to keep the conversation going. We really like each other and we are the perfect couple, but that is the only thing about him that just annoys me. He treats me like a princess, he doesn't move too fast in the relationship, he loves me for me, and he is perfect so breaking up is out of the question. I just want him to contact me first for once and keep a conversation going for once. It is annoying.What should I do? Thanks so much!

hey! talk to him. tell him that you like him a lot but that he owes you the respect of putting in a little more effort when it comes to calling and chatting.  tell him that when you're always the one who has to call him, it makes you feel like you care more about his feelings than he does about yours. Whatever you do, don't think that the problem will resolve itself if you wait for him to call, and then stop talking to him out of spite. It might work, but you'll drive yourself crazy, it's much healthier just to talk it out.

Helen S.

by carinaamina on 7/23/2012 8:35:25 PM

love this. perfect timing since i am going to 9th grade in the fall. actually, that's kind of scary. anyhoo i have already thot abt a few of these thing to do in HS and the other things are realyl helpful

by N3rdyRand0mn3ss on 7/23/2012 7:09:09 PM

Okay so I have two groups of friends, a sporty group and a fashionable group who are into performing on stage. I have this friend from the second group that has been my friend for 8years. She gets really jealous of my sporty friends and thinks I will leave her for them, which definatly are not my intentions and I spend equal time with both. We have talked about it a few times, but it doesn't really help, because she still gets nerved up about it. What should I do to help her realize that I am not going to leave her? Thanks so much!

hey! if she keeps bringing it up and you keep telling her you're not going anywhere (and you really do spend equal time with both groups) then the next time she brings it up just say, "hey, we've talked through this, and I don't think I'm doing anything to make you not trust me" actions speak louder than words though, so maybe she's just the kind of girl who needs a little extra attention?

Helen S.

by smiles48 on 7/23/2012 7:02:29 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
About how long does it take for you guys to answer an email? I sent an email to trish@girlslife.com about not getting my giveaway prize 3 days ago and I haven't heard back. Thanks!

hey! Trish is one of our editors so i know she gets a lot of emails every day and works really hard making the magazine each month. I'm sure she'll get to yours soon though! good luck!

Helen S.

by emonkey4 on 7/23/2012 6:58:02 PM

Some of this kinda helps me even tho i'm going into 8th grade. thanks GL!

by Alykat18 on 7/23/2012 6:35:37 PM

Any tips on how to survive 8th grade??

by Susmita24 on 7/23/2012 5:11:37 PM

I'm gonna tell my cousin about this, she'll need it! Smile

by Susmita24 on 7/23/2012 4:58:34 PM

this is great advice!! thank you so much Smile

by Kalulah on 7/23/2012 4:49:09 PM

ATTENTION! Curly and wavu haired girls!
Come to my club Curls go curls!
A club for girls with curls and waves. This is NOT a club for staight haired girls on curling their hair just, for curlies. we'll share tips and stuff just whatever basically. this club is for ANYONE with curls and waves in their hair. All races and colors are welcome, as long as you have curly hair. Postition are open!
join today!