AN HOUR AGO Which character from @thegivermovie are you? Take the quiz and find out: http://t.co/V1rdFyMROQ

2 HOURS AGO The thigh gap thing has gone far enough #BodyPeace: http://t.co/9KEmVRd8uf

3 HOURS AGO Because it's just not summer without s'mores: http://t.co/C4XwBBuHGX

COMMENTS

Thinking about Aurora: How to keep calm and carry on in a scary world

When I read about what happened in Aurora, Colo., last Friday morning, I was stunned. The man who walked through the side door of that movie theater...

About a month after this happened, my cousin and her mom were at the movies in Conn. and a man had a gun. He didn't shoot anybody, but was still taken to the police. I am sad about what happened in Colorado, but I am happy the man at the movies with my cousin didn't shoot.

by HappySunshine on 12/14/2012 9:28:49 PM

All these shootings are too much to handle. Im a high school senior who has witnessed three of my friends deaths, all at different times. My heart go to the families who lost family members today and all of the other shootings that have happened this year and in past years.

by sdana on 12/14/2012 9:01:34 PM

The shooting was awful, a girl in my little sisters grade was killed. It is just so awful that this happened. My heart goes out to all of the victims and their friends and familes.

by chandler218 on 8/7/2012 10:37:25 PM

The sad thing about this man is that when they told his mother she

said they most likely had the right guy

by abbyglow500 on 8/3/2012 11:46:57 PM

This was terrible! I don't get how a human being could do that to another human, even more than one. If anything a murderer like that should not live another day.

by Glitterheart16 on 7/31/2012 11:42:40 AM

thank you so much for this, it's very useful

by green_mocha on 7/28/2012 1:22:46 AM

Girls, I know it's hard to move on... It's hard for me too. This is all over the news, and many people are grieving... It's OK to be scared, but this is a situation that you CAN'T hold onto forever. This tragedy was awful, and we should pray for the families. Christian Bale, I now admire you for going to Colorado to visit the victims. What we should do now is good.It's basically all we CAN do...

by FaithPetrowski on 7/25/2012 12:13:33 PM

When I heard I got soo freaked out and couldn't sleep that night. I'm still kinda freaked out and I'm also really sad that a guy with a really bright future ruined his future and probably a ton of other peoples futures. I'm especially sad about the girl from San Antonio she was very inspirational ;(... now i'm scared to go to the movies

by kdpkdp on 7/25/2012 9:38:24 AM

I am truly saddened by what happened in Colo. I just start crying, mourning along with the others. I don't know anyone who died then but it's just sad to listen about a person just walking into a theatre and unleashing masses of bullets onto innocent people. I then think about how I have been spared my life through hundreds of things that could have taken my life.
Rest in Peace those who have died that day.
May you find comfort those families who relatives had died at the shooting or got injured.
May you find peace those who were injured at the shooting.

by Demeter99 on 7/25/2012 1:23:57 AM

I dont wanna sound heartless but i may. You know what? Think of Mexico, Afghanistan,Iran, and so many other countries. This is on the news for almost a week in america but in all of those other countries they call that everyday life. 20 people killed? No big deal in those places they just get on with their lives. I mean come on! This isnt 9/11 People! 9/11 was a huge tradgety. This isnt enough ppl killed to be a massacre. I feel for those ppl but everybody dies at one point. My friend was murdered in her own house with the rest of her family and in the same house another family murdered. Lets think happy thoughts now girls!

by YayaYuiki on 7/25/2012 1:16:04 AM

when i heard about the shootings i was so upset and angry that this guy just walked into a theater and decided to take other life. he didnt even care who was in that theater, his family could have been in there and he woudnt have cared.i hope that justice will be served to this sicco. my heart goes out to each and every person affected by this.

by hutchhol on 7/25/2012 1:05:11 AM

Poor People.
My heart goes out to all of them, and their loved ones.

by xBlessTheBroken on 7/25/2012 12:57:44 AM

My friend was in Colorado that day the shooting happened. Once I heard about what happened, I called her instantly. She was ok, but the person sitting next to her was shot, right in front of her eyes. She was crying when she answered, and I asked her what happened, and she told me. I cried with her. She didn't talk to anyone until today when she called me.

by Rey on 7/24/2012 11:55:36 PM

When I heard about Aurora it freaked me out that someone was so sick and twisted that he felt the need to massacre a movie theater like that. Now, I don't know if he had something against the movie they were watching or if it was just kind of a random choice but whatever it was I feel bad for him. I feel bad that he felt compelled to do what he did. I feel bad that he wasn't strong enough to reach out to someone or that the people around him didn't see his struggle. Now I don't know much about why he did it but I do know that while I am praying for the people that got hurt and their families but I am also praying for him so that he can find his way back to a normal life hopefully.

by IDKBoys on 7/24/2012 9:52:31 PM

It's very terrible. Frown I'm praying for the people of Colorado.

Some people blame the situation on the laws about weapons. Others blame the guy not being diagnosed with mental problems correctly, and other things that were also contributing factors. The truth is, the only person to blame is the man who did this. I wish everyone would stop pointing fingers at the wrong thing. -_- There's no need for this ongoing debate of whose "fault" it is.

Especially don't blame the parents of any child that was harmed or killed. Like the article stated, these were ordinary people going out to see a movie. Give them a break.

My heart goes out to anyone affected by this tragedy.

by IvoryPiano on 7/24/2012 8:38:25 PM

I live in Colorado....right next to Aurora........i didn't find out what happened until Friday morning when my friend asked me to turn on the TV...so I did. I cried hard that day. Luckily none of my friends where there, but I cried for the family's who lost their loved ones. I didn't even know them.....so I pray every-night for the families to heal..........

by Countrymusicluva on 7/24/2012 6:46:33 PM

For everyone who is saying that laws/procedures shouldn't be more strict because of "just one incident," you should know that some officials have fought for stricter gun laws for many years. Think: the tragedy in Aurora, the shooting of Gabby Giffords, etc. Every time there is a shooting, for the next month or so, everyone talks about how there needs to be stricter laws, but then nobody thinks about it until something else happens. So my question is, when are they going to actually do something about it instead of just talking?

by Fly1213 on 7/24/2012 2:01:49 PM

So scary and horrible that this happened to those innocent people, I mean there isn't any way that guy knew everyone there. He just sprayed bullets on everyone there. It's really horrible that it happened and my heart goes out to the victims, family, and friends. Everyone's on the lookout now. I'm not even in Colorado and the security at the mall is about double(not that there wasn't security before but still). Hope the victims, families, and friends all turn out okay. <3

by angelfish on 7/24/2012 1:46:49 PM

I read about this in the newspaper this morning before I saw this article up. This guy has comedic orange hair and is named 'The Joker'. Why is it that his life has come so low that he has to kill and endanger the life of so many people, I don't understand.

by ziirnn on 7/24/2012 1:41:07 PM

When I first saw this on the tv, I was literally just sitting there staring at the TV... I couldn't believe how screwed up this world was.

by girlygirl22werock on 7/24/2012 1:20:15 PM

I don't want to sound heartless,but I'm probably going to,so please don't freak. Whe things like this happen,I'm sad,because it's very unfortunate,but I don't greave about it,I don't think about it 24/7. It scares me,and I do want to learn more about what happened,but my mind isn't always wondering about it. To the point where I even get a little annoyed with this being one of the only things on the news.

And do you know why I feel that way? Because for whatever reason,this was meant to happen. This was in th cards for all these people,because this is what God had in mind. This is exactly as it should be,because this was meant to happen. This whole thing has brought sadness,but think about it; America is now closer & stronger because of it. I'm not heartless,and I do care,but why focus in the negative when this does have some silver lining to it?

by MadMaddie911 on 7/24/2012 1:17:02 PM

I live right by Aurora. All of Colorado is being extra cautious now at movie theatersFrown

by laxchickie19 on 7/24/2012 1:15:04 PM

im so sorry sarah510 that is very sad i feel sorry for your cuz cuz Frown

by smileygirl555 on 7/24/2012 12:54:28 PM

im not really scared by this it is sad though but this past year has been very hard on my tristate area with deaths and mostly murder so since i didnt now the ppl tht died im not affected at all although my bff is soo paraniod now she wont go to the movies with me Frown

by colie34720 on 7/24/2012 12:46:43 PM

After I heard about this I could barely sleep. This is very sad and scary. I know Holmes can't help it that he's disturbed, but he deserves the death penalty because if they try to keep him in jail until he dies, he could break out. I'm trying to calm down and live my life normally again and if you're reading this and it affected you to, just try to let go and not live your life with fear!! I'm praying for the people who where there and hurt...

by softballismyBFF on 7/24/2012 12:45:21 PM

I read about this in the newspaper, and I just started crying. It's very tragic. None of the people killed or injured deserved this. I have no idea what was going through this guy's head at the time, but hopefully he feels ashamed. My prayers are with the family and friends of the people that were injured or killed. Bless them as they are grieving. <3

by tinkerzbell123 on 7/24/2012 12:42:29 PM

When I heard about the Aurora shooting I thought: Everything's going to change now; soon there will be metal detectors at the movie theater. I am handling it by not thinking to hard about it (which I do feel guilty about) but I feel like if I think about it too hard, I will never be able to stop, so when it comes up in conversation, I just listen, I try not to talk, and when the conversations done, I move on with my life; I think it's the best any of us can do at this point.

by otter77 on 7/24/2012 12:36:17 PM

Sarah510 I'm sorry your cousin got hurt and hope she gets better.

fungirl123 Murder is not okay and massacres aren't a ke. I don't know of anyone who thinks that. I think it's pretty safe to say the whole country was sad about what happened.

But you can't live in fear. There are gonna be security in mvie theatres all over the country for a while. I'm gonna pray for the families and the people injured in this tragedy. Guns shouldn't be outlawed but, it should be harder to buy a gun than to buy Poptarts. There should be backrounds checks and mentality checks before you're allowed to buy a gun. We should all be thankful for what we have.

by scamp24 on 7/24/2012 12:28:14 PM

this was so sad and scary, particularly because it was so relatable. anyone could go to movie theater or to a midnight showing of a movie. honestly, these murders happen all the time, it's just no one hears about them because they happened in allies or were probably gang-related. but this colorado incident is very scary because anyone could have that happen to them (though it's very unlikely), and because most of the people killed were young. i think that the best thing we can do right now is just be glad it didn't happen to us and pray.

by music_lvr on 7/24/2012 11:16:34 AM

I live in Colorado, and I just have to realize that there are sick people in the world and we can't do anything to change that. What we can do is trust, just trust that we are safe and that we have guardian angels upon ourselves. And of course, we pray for those who are lost and for thosewho are devostated and hurt.

by thumperella14 on 7/24/2012 11:12:40 AM

This is so sad!!! It's just a terrible massacre!

by Dazzle31 on 7/24/2012 11:06:54 AM

I sort of understand where puffinlover99 is coming from. The statistics for all of these tragedies are so low, yet officials want to set stricter laws on firearms after just one incident. They don't really know if an incident like thisis going to happen again in the near future. Just one incident is not going to change the statistics of it all. The chances of something happening with an irresponsible firearm is the same as it was before the shooting in Aurora, so I don't understand why they would want to change the laws of it.

I hope I don't sound inconsiderate because, truly the shooting in Aurora was very tragic. Althought I lost no family or friends close to me, I very well could have if the shooting was somewhere near where myself, or other family members of mine lived. I feel empathy for everyone out there who is injured or has lost the life of a loved one. Keep fighting! You Are Strong Smile

by imacutegeek72 on 7/24/2012 10:54:40 AM

Join my club

by monicaisfabuluz on 7/24/2012 10:47:27 AM

The thing about occurences like this that bugs me is that now parents will use it as an excuse to limit their kid's freedom. Yes, it is sad. Sadly, there are crazies in the world. But if you look at the statistics, mass killings don't happen very often. I don't think the guy deserves the death penalty, and I don't think he'll get it. He is obviously disturbed. Also, there shouldn't be stricter gun laws. Most people choose to use their firearms in a responsible manner. Then again, just what I feel.

by puffinlover99 on 7/24/2012 10:17:07 AM

My cosioun was shot three times in the back there and she is still alive.

by Sarah510 on 7/24/2012 8:52:50 AM

Please join my club, The Agency!
Its for all you Middle School chicas who need advice on boys, beauty, friends, fitness or just some peeps to help you keep your cool during tough times. Along with the newest trends and gossip, you'll be hot stuff!

xx
Olivia

by Ostar21 on 7/24/2012 8:20:04 AM

It's just so hard to understand why someone would do such a horrible thing. Praying for the victims and their families. Smile

by Acutiebookworm on 7/24/2012 3:38:26 AM

Oh my gosh, I hope the injured people get better! That guy is crazy for doing that. I really do think he deserves the death sentence for killing 12 people. It might not bring those people back to life, but it could prevent him doing anything awful again. Even if he was locked in jail for the rest of his life (instead of getting the death sentence), I would be terrified of him breaking out and doing something similar to more people.

by purplenurple88 on 7/24/2012 3:03:26 AM

I feel so sad and I actually cried all the way in California. I'm a regular moviegoer myself and it made me afraid. My heart definitely reaches out to all the victims' families and I wish them all the best. I really do. I hope that nothing like this happens again.

by Emilicious on 7/24/2012 1:40:52 AM

I thought what happened was heartbreaking. I've heard that the movie theater is one of the best ways to get kidnapped and whatnot, but I never imagined this would happen. And guess why the guy did that? He was kinda crazy, and he thought he was Joker!

by pretty123 on 7/24/2012 1:10:43 AM

I live six minutes away from the theater. SIX. MINUTES. This very easily could have been me. I haven't stopped crying since the day I saw the news report. Thank you, GL, for posting this article. Everyone here in Denver/Aurora appreciates it so, so much. I'm really upset that I can't donate blood yet because I'm not 16, it's going to great lengths to help the victims. I am so thankful that nobody I know lost their live in this horrific event, although several of my close friends had planned on attending the showing. I don't know what made them change their plans, but I consider it a miracle that they are still with me today. RIP to the twelve beautiful lost lives and I'm praying for a fast recovery for those who were injured or lost a loved one. TO EVERYONE READING THIS: If you pray, pray. If you have money to donate, donate. If you're above 16, give your blood. If you have a heart, keep the victims in it. THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING YOU CAN DO. Take care everyone, we will bounce back.

by fireworks1071 on 7/24/2012 1:01:42 AM

Thank you so much everyone! I am from CO and when I heard about this is was so scared for everyone! Thanks for thinking of us! Means a lot to me and the whole state of Colorado!

by eclipsechick12 on 7/24/2012 12:03:59 AM

I don't even live in colorado and i'm scared to go into a movie theatre. Don't look at me crazy but I have thought that someone would do that many years ago. I thought what a great way for someone to take hostages. Go in a movie theatre and kill people. I think of this so I can prepare myself so if that ever does happen to me I know what to do. Or stay aware! I am scared. Like you may see people driving or in your class room and you think they are "normal" but they may be plotting stuff now, or they have done stuff. Scary movies are what crazy people get there info. And for us to be aware. People assume like saying "I hate you!" or "I'll kill you." Is funny but seriously its not. I know I watch scary movies and I'm like wat ever thats not scary, but if it was ME in their situation I would be! People think I'm OCD about locking doors and making sure windows are covered at night, but it really is to make sure my fam. is safe.

by andsothelionfellinlovewiththelamb on 7/24/2012 12:02:43 AM

I have no idea if this relates to my MOD question but thank you so much for his article it means a lot to me. Thank you. I'm still frightened but I will get over it. Oh and I'd like to thank Rachel A for giving me such great advice on my MOD question. Thank you. Best of luck to everyone who has been affected like me. Love you all. <3

by Redkyffin on 7/23/2012 11:23:43 PM

by Redkyffin on 7/23/2012 11:18:44 PM

I'm really sad this happened my heart broke when I read about this, why did he do it in the first place? Thx so much Girlslife for posting this article to help girls. It helped me and I love y'all even more now. My heart and prayers go out to all the families and friends of those dead and injured hope they fully recover and RIP

by Charlotte12sky4 on 7/23/2012 11:15:11 PM

This terrifies me because I live about 20-30 minutes from where this happened. My brother works at a theater and I am so grateful that it wasn't that one. My heart goes out to all affected and I hope everyone injured will fully recover. RIP

by kykyskibunny on 7/23/2012 10:53:11 PM

This is terrible my aunt was actually going to go to that theatre until I convinced her to go shopping instead...I just want everyone affected to know I hope things will get better.

by cheerfulcheer on 7/23/2012 10:09:35 PM

That scares me a lot. Instead of planning out his life, he was planning on how to end other people's lives. Its so messed up, its freakin scary. I am praying for the victim's families, and I hope you are too.

by future_artist on 7/23/2012 9:56:59 PM

by future_artist on 7/23/2012 9:56:46 PM

And to add to the hard times, a girl from my high school died in a horrible car accident right in front of her house. Her best friend in the passenger seat lived and all her friends were driving behind her and saw her car flip multiple times. And one of her friends had to run and get the mom. It's so hard but we all need to stick together. I pray for all those injuried in Colorado and those around the world also. RIP and I'm praying for the families! <3

by quest6c on 7/23/2012 9:56:28 PM

This is so sad, and I think this is a great article.
MOD MOD MOD!!!
My bestie just measured her self to find her bra size, and so I kind of want to try it! What are tips to measuring your breast size?

by WinnieGirlie on 7/23/2012 9:52:59 PM

I can't imagine what's going on in that guy's head. I wanted to cry when I heard the news. I tried to forget about it but it was quite hard. I would forget about it but then it would always come back to me. I just thought about the chances of that happening to me or anyone I know and I felt a little better after looking on the bright side.

by aladreams9 on 7/23/2012 9:31:24 PM

I live in Colorado, very close to where this happened. I have passed that theater before and it's scary to know I may have seen this guy around before. Me and my friends and family have been comforting each other.

by litmarvel on 7/23/2012 9:24:32 PM

i was extremely shocked and horrified when i first heard of the movie theater massacre. i was very sad for the victims and their families almost to the point of tears even though no one i knew was hurt. While at first i was angry at the shooter, i've thought it over more and i don't think he deserves the death penalty and here's why; what james holmes did was wrong, sadistic, and sickening but killing him won't bring back those who were lost. it won't erase the pain all of us feel, and it won't prevent something like this from happening again. i do believe that he deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail though because if he ever lived freely again, i would honestly be scared for the safety of others as well as myself. a good way to get your mind off of tragedy is to pray, listen to music, or immerse yourself in something you love. i know i will continue to pray for those who lost their lives in this tragedy, for those injured, and for the families of the victims. god bless, rip

by volleyballchica37 on 7/23/2012 9:16:11 PM

I had just fallen out of a river raft in Idaho when i heard about this. i'm looking at my bruised knee and scraped hand and thinking, "I'm lucky. God bless the survivors and the murdered's families".

by HelenaPS on 7/23/2012 9:11:18 PM

My Best Friend For Life was in Colorado when the shooting happened and i texted her right away to see if she was ok. She was physically, but not mentally. We both were crying over texting bc we were so sad to hear what happened. It's unfair that somene would do something like that. Wo in thier right mind would ever think to do that for "fun". I think he should have a death sentence. Don't You think?

by heather99 on 7/23/2012 8:31:49 PM

I was really sad, scared, and shocked when I heard about the shooting. All I could think about was how things like this are so horrible and shouldn't happen. I'm handling it better now than I was before. I was really upset for awhile, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. But I realize now that letting it overwhelm my thoughts isn't going to help things.

by supersingershannon on 7/23/2012 7:56:35 PM

When I need to cope with something, music is my cure. I even made a whole playlist of songs that help me feel better and empowered, like nothing can hurt me.

by Art Crazy52 on 7/23/2012 7:51:29 PM

its so sad! idk how someone could do that... i guess he just went crazy! either way let's remember the victims and their familys and pray for them. this world is insane.

by Alykat18 on 7/23/2012 7:32:13 PM

:=(. that's terrible. when i need to cope wiht something, i take a bath. BAths arr good for just soaking in water and relaxing. also, i listen to all of my favorite songs,those with lyrics and without. pray, sleep, or throw urself inot a project

by N3rdyRand0mn3ss on 7/23/2012 7:21:06 PM

This is so sad);

by monicaisfabuluz on 7/23/2012 7:14:16 PM

I was so shocked when I heard about the massacre. The shooter thought about this plan so thoroughly. He boo-bi-trapped his apartment, died his hair to represent the joker, everything! he went to all lengths to complete his sinister plan.. and it makes me scared to think that there are people out there that are so angry or crazy that theyd spend months planning a shooting instead of planning their life. it scares me, and I hope that those who were injured, survive.

by parischick2 on 7/23/2012 7:10:42 PM

It's especially scary since I live in Colorado. I don't want to go to the movies again right now.

by Jetdoggy24 on 7/23/2012 7:07:26 PM

This is what my older sister posted on Twitter the day after the shooting:
"FREAKING SMILE PEOPLE. And be happy that God gave you another day...#Aurora"
It's sad, yes. I cried. But we all need to move on and just be thankful that we weren't there that horrifying night. I will be honest with you: We're living in a messed up world where a lot of people think massacres are some kind of joke. The world where murder is just fine and difference is like a crime.
FACE IT.

by fungirl123 on 7/23/2012 6:54:05 PM

Oh my lord. this really made me cry, sometimes all we can do is pray i guess.
ATTENTION! Curly and wavu haired girls!
Come to my club Curls go curls!
A club for girls with curls and waves. This is NOT a club for staight haired girls on curling their hair just, for curlies. we'll share tips and stuff just whatever basically. this club is for ANYONE with curls and waves in their hair. All races and colors are welcome, as long as you have curly hair. Postition are open!
join today!