7 HOURS AGO Get the scoop on braces: http://t.co/ImZA1x2LpQ

10 HOURS AGO The best eyeshadow for your skin tone: http://t.co/OCA5fYGw39

11 HOURS AGO Happy #bookbirthday to @Scholastic's #SISTERS x @goraina! To celebrate, take our "What kind of sister are you?" quiz: http://t.co/CScBixOtx6

COMMENTS

Get great hair! Our best 10 African-American hair hints

Love your hair! Just in time for BTS, we’ve gathered the best hair care tips for GL gals with African-American locks. Follow these ten tips to score...

1. Think of your crush
2. Make a heart with your hands
3. Kiss your hand heart
4. Put your hand where you real heart is
YOUR CRUSH WILL ASK YOU OUT TOMORROW!!!!!!!
5. This only works if you post this on your favorite GL article

by jsneed8542 on 6/19/2013 1:26:07 PM

im african american and i have medium length hair(it comes a little pass my shoulders). ive been keeping perms and other harsh chemicals away from my hair for about two years now, but i dont have the option to was my hair every 7-10 days at home because of its frizziness it gets when water gets in it, i go to a salon though but it gets pricey sometimes. Idk what to do?

by symone2011 on 8/20/2012 6:51:38 PM

MOD! Would Hair One be considered a 2 in 1 hair shampoo/conditioner?

Hey girl!  I'm not familiar with Hair One, but from what I can find, it seems like a 2 in 1.  xoxo

Kate G.

by chocolatecharme on 8/6/2012 12:37:45 PM

Hey caligirl99, the key to growing out your hair is to find which hair products work for you. It's important to keep your hair moisturized and healthy. Never go to sleep without your hair wrapped up in a bonnet or scarf, because having your hair unprotected can cause breakage. I am Black ans I use Olive Oil shampoo, conditioner and lotion. See if that stuff works for you. It smells good and leaves your hair soft and clean. Ask some of your girlfriends and relatives what they use fir more options. Set up a routine for washing your hair, maybe every 10 or 14 days. Eating healthy also affects hair growth so munch on fruits and veggies. Hope this helps! Xoxo

MOD!
What are some tips for growing out long, healthy African-American type hair? Thanks! Lynae P.

by caligirl99 on 8/4/2012 4:20:32 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
How can I take good care of my hair?
I take a shower everyday, so I get my hair washed everyday is that bad? My hair has a lot of volume. Please help me take good care of my hair!

Hey girl,

I would try washing your hair every other day and using dry shampoo in between if your hair gets greasy! It will also help with volume. Smile

Meghan D.

by rainbows_rawr on 8/3/2012 7:47:20 PM

THANK YOU DG! I have short coily hair and it kinda annoyed me you didn't have any hair advice for my hair type.

by Glitterheart16 on 8/3/2012 1:16:58 AM

I am not African, I really need some advice on hair. I have shoulder length hair that's really thick. Any advice for cute hair tips??

by crazy for horses on 8/2/2012 11:53:37 PM

Thank you GL for posting this! Its good to know you guys would be sweet enough to post tips on how to take care of black people's hair. I'm African American and have naturally curly hair and I agree with these tips. Most of them I've heard, since my mother has always told me to take care of my hair because its different from most people's hair and it needs more attention, but some people don't know this tips and so now black girls can take care of their hair PROPERLY! Again thanks for posting this...Smile

by MusicTaughtMeHowToLive on 8/2/2012 11:40:46 PM

This is great and everything. But i am not African American and do not have this type of hair. I was looking for some bts ideas but none of these will work.

by diamondgirl4404 on 8/2/2012 11:25:52 PM

Thanks so much. My hair is chemically straightened but it's still nice to see some great tips that represent african americans! I have waited for something like this that helps us sisters out.

by andsothelionfellinlovewiththelamb on 8/2/2012 9:52:47 PM

I wear extensions because my hair is so short(they're braided), so I can't follow some of these tips(at least regularly) until I take out my extensions. For about a year or 2 now my hair has been growing faster, but it's still not that long. Is their a way I can make it longer while my extensions are in or when they're out that will still work if I get extensions soon after it's out? I know I can cut the ends, but I don't know exactly how much to cut, like just a tiny bit or-- anyway do you think I could do it myself? But I would still like to know if their are any other way I could make my hair grow faster.
Thanks in advance(and THANK YOU for this article Smile )

Hey girlie,

Since extensions are pretty expensive and have their own set of rules, I would definitely call/stop by my hairdresser's salon before making any decisions like this. They're experts, so you can tell them exactly what you want and they can give you tips on how to get it Smile Unfortunately there really aren't any ways to get your hair to GROW faster, but they can give you tips on the healthiest ways to treat your hair - and maybe even tricks to help it look longer!
Lauren C.

by PeaceKool on 8/2/2012 6:50:56 PM

@GigiWuzAHere I wonder too! Well once my teacher was talking about it and said some people think saying black is offensive.. even though it's true. I don't get it(neither does my teacher)
Anyway thank you SO much GL!!!!! Smile You don't know how much I appreciate this! I've been waiting for this for SO LONG.

by PeaceKool on 8/2/2012 6:42:32 PM

This was really helpful!!! Thanks GL :-D

by rosesong on 7/31/2012 3:58:50 PM

This is going to help me soooooo much! ( although, I do wounder why people say "African American" when not all black people are African...?)

by GigiWuzAHere on 7/31/2012 10:29:45 AM

Thank you GL so much for this, I've been reading this magazine for a while (I'm 18 now) and while you feature great tips for hair and fashion, you usually feature tips for non-african american body,hair, and skin issues, So Thank you for giving us some tips catered specfically for our unique-ness. Please continue to this!

by sassygirl93 on 7/30/2012 11:22:31 PM

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH GL!!!!! YOU ARE MY ROADMAP TO WOMANHOOD AND YOU TEACH ME SO MUCH AND I AM SOOOOOOOOO GRATEFUL TO YOU!!!!!

by pitbullrox16 on 7/30/2012 10:51:56 PM

THANK- YOU GL!

by KilgoreGURL on 7/30/2012 10:15:49 PM

Thank you!!! I always felt like this site ignored us black girls. I've been waiting for this for sooo long. I can't even use your hair tips sometimes cuz you only help those with fine hair.

by juicypeach09 on 7/30/2012 8:24:38 PM

When will the Fab Fiction results be in? Just wondering. Laughing

hey! I'm not sure. They don't say in the article, but I would think they wouldn't wait too long to post the results Smile

Helen S.

by bubblegum girl on 7/30/2012 7:48:41 PM

I am really happy about this article... I wrote to GL asking about more things for African American girls like myself... maybe this will start a change for more equal opportunity beauty tips! Laughing

by PrincessLuigi14 on 7/30/2012 6:43:34 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
I think I speak for all ethnic girls on this site when I say thank u soooooo much for this article! It was informative and one of the first articles on GL that I've seen that is aimed at ethnic chicas! Thank you and keep up the good work!

Hey! you're so welcome. It's about time ;)

Helen S.

by artistchic99 on 7/30/2012 5:10:56 PM

Finally! Y'all never talk about OUR type of hair. Y'all are always talking about wash you hair daily and I'm like yeah I'm black so the rules are a little different. Thank you so much!!!!! I agree with everyone else now y'all need to give us makeup tips.

by Girlygirl0906 on 7/30/2012 3:03:19 PM

This was a great article! I have completely unmanageable hair that only certain products can tame. I'm mixed my mom is site and my dad is African American. I used this amazing line of products in my hair called Mixed Chicks. My hair has never been healthier! I highly recommend it to other mixed girls!

by zozo2903 on 7/30/2012 12:58:18 PM

Hey girls! Need help with styling your hair? Need to know the perfect hairstyle for that special occasion or for bowling with your buds? Then join my group "Hair Styling Help" (http://www.girlslife.com/Club.aspx?id=10902)! I will post hair tips and ideas daily and answer your hair questions daily! Positions are open!

by LovePeaceHope on 7/30/2012 12:53:05 PM

I am not African-American, but I really enjoyed this article. This is the first hair/beauty article i have EVER seen done by GL that is specifically for ethnic hair! I find it a little disappointing that it took so long for you to finally write an article like this. Better late than never, I guess.

by jasperrose on 7/30/2012 10:26:31 AM

ok so im goin to a pool party later, and after that we go to her house for a sleepover, i always staraighten my hair to keep it smooth straight and manageble, but naturally its extra puffy, curly, and frizzy, so after i come out of the pool, my hair gonna poof up, and i wont be able to starighten it cuz im goin to her house, so do u hve any tips or products that will keep my hair from getting frizzy...... Cuz even wen i put it in a pony tail it falls out and comes in my face, so plz help!

Hey girl!

There's a million anti-frizz products out there and they all work pretty well. John Frieda's Frizz-Ease is very popular and effective. I think if you just run some through your hair after you hop out of the pool that can help control your frizz.
Rachael A.

by fashiondiva4 on 7/30/2012 9:54:58 AM

mod mod od mod mod mod mod mod mod mod mod mod!
Hi, I love to dance so much. I am trying out for a dance company on August 10th. I am super ecxcited, and one of my teachers said she would vote for me. The audition is three hours, what are some tips? Thx! Smile

Hey girl!

I'm not a dancer so I can't give you any specific dance tips, but I think the key to nailing your audition is to have confidence in yourself. You know what you're capable of, so you just need to show it to the teachers. Auditions can be nerve racking, but just keep the end of the audition in your mind. Imagine yourself doing your best dance ever and making the dance company. You'll do great! Good luck!
Rachael A.

by WinnieGirlie on 7/30/2012 1:42:31 AM

MOD!
This helps a lot, but do you also have tips on straightening this type of hair? Also what is the best type of heat products for ethnic hair? I want to know how to do it myself without hurting my hair. Thanks!

Hey girlie,

We don't have the exact hair tips you're looking for, but these articles might help a little! <3

(These are for curly hair, but they work great for any thick, textured hair) http://www.girlslife.com/post/2012/02/14/5-fab-hair-products-for--curly-girlies.aspx
Lauren C.

by caligirl99 on 7/29/2012 10:59:38 PM

♥Need advice on all things girl?♥ ☆Well then, join girls ONLY VIP ☆ ◉We give the best advice on everything, and we are on all the time so we will reply fast!◉✽☼☺

by snagmonkey on 7/29/2012 9:53:05 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I am going to submit for the "model for gl" thing, but should I send in a serious or smiley photo?

Hey girlie,

Try a mix of the two styles. We want to see you looking happy (duh, we want to see your personality!) but not goofing off/acting crazy with your besties. Somewhere in between will be professional, fun, and the best way for us to get to know you through a photo Smile
Lauren C.

by txtingirl on 7/29/2012 9:43:51 PM

Hey girls!! So do you have trouble with your hair? Hate just keeping your hair down because your can't figure out what to do with your hair? join this club, and I'll tell you what to do with your hair just about every day! It's called Daily Hair Styles

by kpianoplayer on 7/29/2012 7:45:17 PM

Oh Thank YOU! Thank YOU! Thank YOU!

Been waiting for something for this for like, AGES!

Finally, something I can actually try, GL should do this more often. I really hope this isn't a one time thing!

by Dee_Has_Cookiez on 7/29/2012 6:52:57 PM

Thanks this is really helpful, hope you guys do makeup tips for African American girls as well.

by findingmyself655 on 7/29/2012 6:46:42 PM

thank you so much i have such a hard time finding magazines with hair styles for my hair type xoxo

by nadia10 on 7/29/2012 5:47:14 PM

Thanks! I agree with nerdygurl12, can we get some makeup ideas for us blacks??? will be most appreciated.

by superangel33 on 7/29/2012 5:46:58 PM

Thanks

by 8322849 on 7/29/2012 4:30:46 PM

Thank you sooooo much!It's so hard to find a place where they consider black people and their needs too.These are great tips!

by realchk on 7/29/2012 1:56:41 PM

thank you!!! Smile

by daninic on 7/29/2012 1:54:03 PM

FINALLY thank you GL now for makeup......

by nerdygurl12 on 7/29/2012 1:19:11 PM

Love you guys for this! Finally!

While we are on the topic of black hair, join my club Black Girls Rock! It's for all the beautiful girls of color out there that need tips on black hair things and many more.

by snowver11 on 7/29/2012 12:45:24 AM

Thank you GL!!! I thought no one understood how hard it is to take care of African American hair. Great tips! I am now transitioning from relaxed to natural hair so I have been looking all or the Internet looking for stuff.

by snowver11 on 7/29/2012 12:32:52 AM

Finally! that you GL! God bless you guys, i love you ten times more now! i don't get my hair relaxed but i do have curly/wavy hair. this can actually work for curly girls too guys!
P.s. join my new club just for curly or wavy hair. we share tips such as these ones.

by briana13 on 7/29/2012 12:20:20 AM