10 HOURS AGO It's official—we're obsessing over Jacquie Lee's new EP: http://t.co/dHZwPbO3da

13 HOURS AGO Homework? What homework? #Crewel is on @wattpad for free! #bookworm #bookclub http://t.co/TsLFsrnwAH

14 HOURS AGO Join the GL gram fam and follow us on Insta for pretty pix and behind-the-scenes snaps: http://t.co/Umf3MGtn7Y

COMMENTS

Could bullies make you get plastic surgery?

Nadia Ilse had been brutally teased by her peers for years. They called her “Dumbo” because her ears stick out a bit. Nadia was miserable, so when...

Poor girl. You should be proud of who you are and people shouldn't make fun of you for the way you look

by I Luv Carson on 10/16/2012 4:44:45 PM

In the words of lady Gaga: "I was born this way, baby"

by boycrazy4a on 8/31/2012 8:07:45 PM

Wow, so sad. She's happy, but, idk, i couldnt have done tht

by ColosalMascara on 8/30/2012 11:05:36 AM

I can't help but notice how similar this is to getting breast surgery. But really, in the end, bullies will just find something else to tease her about. I read somewhere that before you get any kind of plastic surgery, you ask yourself this: are you getting this for yourself, or for everyone else? I think Nadia did this for everyone else. I'm happy that she's happy, but i think she could also be happy if she let people love her for who she really is, not what some doctor did for her.

by cityduck on 8/28/2012 10:08:38 AM

It's one thing to have plastic surgery if somthing is wrong, like you are born with a cleft palet (hole in the roof of your mouth), like I was, and another if you get surgery to change how you look. I'm glad she's glad, but she should have just loved herself the way she is. Why not make the most of the nickname "Dumbo"? He's an amazing flying elephant! Take the "insults" and turn them into compliments.

by smileurastar on 8/27/2012 9:49:11 AM

They do bully me, but usually behind my back. But they can say whatever the heck they want, because I don't care!
I'm a free girl, baby!

by peppercyndaquil13 on 8/12/2012 9:13:08 PM

My best friend did the same thing. Her ears stuck out so she got them pinned back. You make it sound so intense with the "plastic surgery" thing though, it's not like she rearranged her whole face! My friend had it done when she was 12 and she was never bullied, in fact she was more on the popular side. She did it for her though. She wanted to do it, she didn't do it for anyone else. It's fine!

by mdo556 on 8/11/2012 1:05:21 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!
Im a teenager, (13) and I want a nose job more than anything! my sisters make fun of me because I look like a "horse", I have a wide nose, and to be honest, it is wide. I hate taking pictures just because of it! What should I do? convince my parents to get a nosejob? Or be happy for what I have? Please help! Thankyou Smile

Hey girlie,

I totally understand where you're coming from! It's hard enough going through puberty/growing up, trying to get cozy in your own skin, but it's especially hard to love your bod when other people are making you feel bad about it. But trust me - this is NOT something you should worry about right now. Throughout your teen years as you're going through puberty and getting older, who knows how your looks will change! Don't mess with your face with plastic surgery while your body is going through all those natural changes. As your bod is taking its natural course, go through the next 7 years and get to know yourself on the inside - what you like, what you don't like, what makes you happy and fulfilled. Meet new people, have adventures, and grow into the person you're going to be. If it still bothers you by the time you're out of your teens, then consider it. I know plastic surgery isn't something I would consider for myself but, if it improves someone's self confidence and makes their life better, then I think I support it. HOWEVER you aren't done growing yet - don't rush it! Be confident with what you have because it's unique and it's part of who you are. If your sisters say something nasty again, don't stoop to their level by throwing insults back at them. Shrug and say, "Whatever. It's my nose and I like it." Then walk away. Show them it doesn't bother you - and they'll get bored with saying it. You're beautiful and you deserve to be happy! And the best part is, you control your happiness Smile Tell yourself you love yourself - and you'll start to feel it <3
Lauren C.

by katiebieber on 8/10/2012 12:17:11 AM

i can definitely see how she would think this is the easy way out. the truth is, it is the easy way out! but as she grows up, she will realize people will no longer care about her big ears or chin (although i noticed nothing of the chin). so basically, she could have gotten help the healthier, better way. but i am not in the position. none of us are but her, so we do not know how desperate she felt or what her true situation was.

by juicyfruit101 on 8/9/2012 9:39:34 PM

The main part that bugs me is where she said the bullying NEVER would have stopped if she hadn't gotten the surgery. That's just not true. Kids grow up. They realize big ears aren't a big deal. There are adults that could have helped her. I'm sad that some kids like her feel that bullying WILL NOT stop unless the one being bullied changes. There is nothing wrong with you if you are bullied. It is always, always not your fault and the bully should be the one changing. If faced with a similar situation I would hope readers would turn to a trusted adult to fix the bullying situation. People are free to choose plastic surgery if they want. There are definite risks, but if it makes you more confident or healthier it can be a consideration. But it's just very sad that she felt this was her ONLY option.

by marleeb on 8/9/2012 8:40:08 PM