9 HOURS AGO Can we get a "yas" for this surfing pig? http://t.co/NKdXo1fHEB

12 HOURS AGO Listening to @BeaMiller #youngblood and wishing it was live like yesterday! #glfashbash

12 HOURS AGO Stripes, polka dots, or floral?! Find your perf print match here: http://t.co/lM41ZdRSJ6

COMMENTS

Period panic! What if I get it at school?

I haven't gotten my period yet, and I'm afraid I'll get it for the first time at soccer practice or school or somewhere. Help me! Dear Worried, Every...

I'm only 11, but my mom says I'm going to to get my period soon. I've had cramps fer a couple days now. please help!!! I'm so nervous.

by ysi love on 8/29/2013 10:55:58 AM

how come and what is the cause of getting cramps when you have your period?

Hey girlie,

I think it is the shedding of your uterine lining so you have pain with the contractions of your uterus. You can get rid of them with ibuprofen or an ice pack though!

Meghan D.

by tj99 on 2/1/2013 10:10:35 PM

Um... dont worry. At first periods r soooo light, well at least for most people. When I got mine it was a tiny bit of blood i noticed. also per period on average u lose 2 tbs of blood. only. NOT 5 gallons

by randommmm on 1/7/2013 6:29:01 PM

Wait, when you first get your period does the blood come pouring out in your pants if you don't have a tampon on?

by marylofal16 on 12/13/2012 5:45:37 PM

Mod mod mod!!!!! So i havent got my period yet and i have soo many questions! Here are three... Does it hurt when you get it? Can you have summer fun with a period? Does the blood just pour out when you have it and go right though your pants?

Hey girl,

It's totally normal to have questions about your period, but relax, because it happens to everyone! It doesn't hurt, and you can still go in the pool or ocean if you have a tampon. If not you can still have fun on the beach and chill poolside! And when you have your period, you wear a pad or tampon so it won't get to your pants.

Meghan D.

by marylofal16 on 12/10/2012 8:36:55 PM

Hey I'm 13 yrs old and only got my period about six months ago. I know they can be irregular for the first few months or even years but Its three days late!! Also ive tried tampons and I got one half way in and got really dizzy and haven't tried since. Please help

Hey girl,

Being three days late is probably not something to worry about--you're right that irregularity is normal at first! Check out these articles for help using tampons, and it's totally normal to take a little while to get used to them! http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/07/30/Guide-to-Pads-and-Tampons.aspx http://www.girlslife.com/post/2011/04/19/Tampon-trouble-It-still-hurts.aspx http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/12/21/I-cant-get-the-hang-of-tampons.aspx http://www.girlslife.com/post/2009/06/23/007-Period-Advice.aspx http://www.girlslife.com/post/2009/08/31/tampon-tips.aspx

Meghan D.

by New Girl23 on 11/17/2012 12:05:22 AM

MOd Mod MOd i was just wondering why you don't get discharge when you are younger???

Hey girl,

Discharge is just part of puberty so it happens as your body grows!

Meghan D.

by musicgurl111 on 11/10/2012 11:00:47 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!
Okay so just yesterday at school I got my first ever period. When I came home I looked in my underwear and it was heavy! Is that normal for ur first period? Anyway I put In a new pad and went to bed. I wake up and it leaked! It was very heavy! Then today I look and my period was so heavy that I started freaking out! Is this normal? I feel as if its unusually heavy bcuz I keep having to change my pad and it's only the second day!

hey girl! some chicas have a heavier flow than others. theres really no such thing as "normal", but you sound fine to me. unless you're changing pads every half hour, you should be just fine. try waiting about six months to see if it lightens up. if it doesn't have your mom schedule an appt with your doc if youre that concerned.

xoxo

Katie L.

by KatieBieber on 10/30/2012 3:57:52 PM

uuuug! everybody at my school thinks just because im short im not going through the same things as them. and im even further than some!

by mamabear162 on 10/29/2012 7:45:51 PM

Hey girly, you're a good friend to care and worry about your BFF. It sounds like she is really overwhelmed and is expressing that in an unhealthy way. This sitch is too big for you and your BFF to handle alone. It's a good idea to talk to a parent or councelor about whats going on. When you talk to a councelor, your friend might be angry at first, but she'll soon realize that you got her help because you care about her. She's lucky to have you. Sometimes being a good friend is tough work. Check out this link if you or your friend need more resources. http://www.girlslife.com/post/2008/08/04/HELP!2.aspx Lauren I.

by swifty#1 on 10/24/2012 1:42:51 AM

So I am ten years old and I'm almost eleven. Last year, I bought the Head To Toe Guide To You book. I started reading the second chapter.- Everything about periods, period plus other down-there details. Then the book started talking about discharge. I had no idea what that was.-But then it says it said: If you haven't gotten your period yet you'll probably start feeling a little bit of dampness down there.- And I had, a couple months before I had read that. Then it said: that's because six months to a year before your first period, girls start to produce vaginal discharge. This is how your body clears dead cells from the vagina to keep you free from infection. The fluid is usually thin and a bit sticky, but can be thick and gooey. And the color is a clear to an off white.-Then I started thinking to myself, that's what I've been having! My mom says she had her first period when she was eleven. So that means I should be getting my first period soon! Yay! Please give advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hannah H.

by mamabear162 on 10/4/2012 12:01:26 PM

im 14 and i got my like 10th period a few weeks ago while i was on my way to tech with my friend.(he is a guy.) he said he thought i was acting weird. lol. so i went to the nurse and she had a whole closet full. so dont worry about getting at school, because nurses, older siblings, or even close classmates with always have your back.

by pupa413 on 10/1/2012 7:14:48 PM

Hey, getting your period is nothing to worry about. Talk to your mom if you are scared. I talked to my mom and it helped me when it happened. Talking to your mom is so helpful. Plus,she will be there to help you.

by glloveer4ever on 10/1/2012 7:03:27 PM

so i got my period in aug on friday 17 at nite and then it stopped that day. then i got my period again on Augs 25th in saturday-sept 1. so i dont know when im going to get my period again so what do i do

by magskelly on 9/21/2012 4:40:30 PM

I had my period for the first day of day of school so i jumped off a bridge and died..... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

by cutiepop1234567 on 9/20/2012 4:46:00 PM

keep some panty liners in your locker and if you don't have any just use some toilet paper. Smile

by mikaelaeb on 9/18/2012 8:14:43 PM

I'm 14 years old! I'm still waiting to get my period but my mom says she got hers when she was 13? I did gymnastics and now I do cheer and I heard that might make your period come late but Ive been having a lot of discharg and I mean A LOT. To the point where I think I need to use pads.. What should I do and should I be expecting my period soon??

Hey girlie, there's really no way to tell. But if you're already 14 you should definitely be on the lookout for it.

Lauren T.

by Guitargurll on 9/16/2012 8:41:34 PM

i hate when i think it going to start at school or if it goes through my pants... :/

by KatyMarieLove on 9/15/2012 12:17:31 PM

OMG!!!!! i got mine in 5th grade!!! i noticed that something was wrong the night before but then i just let it go and forgot about... but when i went to school i went to th bathroom and it was a bloody mess!!! thankfully i was wearing black and it surprisingly didnt leak though!! i was WAY to embarrased to go to the nurse so i didnt... did i mention that i was also wearing 3 layers of black?? it really does suck. like it has that smell!! like really people walk in the bathroom and say pee yew whats that smell but then again thats typical 5th graders... now i dont even use school bathrroms wether i have my period or not... u can tell when its coming tho!! u gets cramps or my back starts to really bother me so im prepared... its really not as bad as i was expecting it to be tho!!! so dont let it or the mean girls get to ur head but i think it was really brave of u to send that, i wouldve chickened out Smile

by meggydoo3327 on 9/12/2012 4:33:31 PM

I would have pads in you backpack/locker/gym bag at all times. And if you go to the bathroom
Before school and once at school there is only a slim change tht your period will
Leak through your pants. I was really nervous about my first too, but your first period is pretty light so you probably wont have any embarrassing leaks. Good luck!

by ClaireluvsGL on 9/8/2012 12:54:55 PM

Well I kept a bunch of pads with me when. I also would keep some extra underwear just in case. When I got it I had it at school but never noticed until I came home. Thankfully I wasn't going too much so it didn't bleed through my underwear.

by BabyDahl13 on 9/8/2012 12:32:10 PM

mod mod mod mod
Is it true that you cant wear a tampon until the 2nd year of your period???
and also, i got my first period last week on monday, so i was wondering when i should wear pads again???

Hey babe,

That is absolutely a myth, you can use tampons whenever you feel comfortable with using them.  It has nothing to do with how long you've had your period or anything of that sort.

If you've finished your period already for this month, then you should have at least three weeks to be free of worry.  Your period will be very regular at the start so there is really no way to pinpoint exactly when you should wear pads again, but three weeks is a good rough estimate! And remember to always keep some handy just in case.
Jordan S.

by jellybean411 on 9/5/2012 5:39:01 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!
I got my period in really late November for a week, and then I didn't get it again until really early March. And now it's September and I haven't gotten it again! What do I do? I'm afraid if I tell my mom then she'll be confused and ask why didn't I say so earlier and then it'd be SUPER awkward. What do I do? What's going on!?

Hey girl,

Irregular periods can be normal at first, but you should talk to your mom and a doc to be sure! Even if it is a little awkward to bring up with Mom, she'll appreciate that you trusted her enough to bring it up!

Meghan D.

by Bunnyboo22 on 8/31/2012 6:49:24 PM

Is it true that when you get your period your metabolism slows down??? Thx!

Hey girl! That's not true at all! Your metabolism slows down as you get older, but not a significant amount specifically when you get your period. xoxo

Kate G.

by xXMissBehavedXx on 8/28/2012 2:33:19 PM

MOD ! MOD ! MOD !
Ok so I have a period tracker and everything and I'm turning 16 so ive had my period since I was almost 12 so I know the deal. But any advice for horrible pms? I mean I just cry soooo much! I know it's hormones, so I guess my question is is there anyway to control it?? thankss

Hey girlie! You can only control PMS with hormonal things (like the Pill) or finding a way to deal with stress relief (meditating and such), otherwise it's unfortunately something we've all gotta deal with! xoxo

Kate G.

by maniheartsmakeup22 on 8/27/2012 9:49:29 PM

I am 13 years old almost 14 and i haven't gotten "IT" yet...i play 6 sports and i like to stay moving...my friend tells me the only reason i am super skinny is because i haven't gotten my period yet and my metabolism hasn't slowed down....soo when i get my period will i start to get chubby or bigger???

by alexa365 on 8/26/2012 10:16:32 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
help please!
I figured out why my head and stomach were hurting, i went to the bathroom and i realized i got my first period. anyways, what do i do? because i'm staying at my grandparents house for the week (parents are on a work trip)

Hey chica! Don't worry Grandma knows where you're coming from, she had hers too! Call her aside and let her know you got yours. She should be able to set you up with some pads or tampons in no time! xoxo

Carly S.

by carly.13 on 8/24/2012 3:25:32 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
when i woke up this morning, my stomach started to hurt really bad, and so did my head. why r they hurting? and what should i do? thanks Smile

Hey sweets! Ask your parents if you can take ibuprofen! It should help get rid of your headache and stomachache in no time! Both a headache and stomachache are common when you have your period, but if you don't have your period it could really be anything so you should talk to your parents! xoxo

Carly S.

by carly.13 on 8/24/2012 2:55:23 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!
I am a girl im 14. I'm 10 pounds overweight and i always get made fun of by my ''friends'' and they always tell me how fat i am and stuff.They say that they're just kidding but it really makes me upset to the point where I just cry and stuff and don't eat for a few days but my parents always say that if I don't eat that they're going to take me to the hospital.But the thing is I don't tell them how I feel and I was just wondering should I tell them how I feel or just try to find new friends?

Hey girlie! You should DEFINITELY tell them how you feel.  Let them know what they say makes you feel insecure about yourself.  If your friends are really friends, they'll stop teasing you, even if they think they are just kidding.  If they don't, then make some new friends who make you feel good about yourself! xoxo

Kate G.

by taylor6158 on 8/24/2012 12:20:02 PM

For girls who got their period, there is this app called i period, and it can help predict when you will get your next period! So no more freaking out! (;

by brianaangel9 on 8/23/2012 9:43:59 PM

Mod!!
Lucky mee!! NOT! I am going to have my period on the first day of school. Frown help?

Hey girlie,

Check out this article for tips on how to know your period is coming and ways to stay prepared on that big day. Then, read up on our Periods, Period articles so you know all there is to know about periods (if you don't know already!) - the more you know, the better prepared you'll be Smile

Lauren C.

by Sunny4132 on 8/23/2012 5:14:13 PM

Mod mod mod!
I have a question... Do people actually send in the questions that are the artical? How can i send in a question? Thx!

Hey girl,

You bet! You can send in advice questions by clicking on this link Smile

Lauren C.

by Sunny4132 on 8/23/2012 4:58:10 PM

sorry! but i thought all of this info was obvious and kinda like a whole page of DUH!!

by divasa on 8/23/2012 4:56:35 PM

Ik Im so scared too!

by LouisTomlinsonLover on 8/22/2012 6:13:29 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!
My face always turns beet red! Even when I'm not embarrassed! It turns red when someone looks at me, brings attention to me, if I'm talking, or standing beside a cute guy. It really brings down my self esteem(which is already low) & sometimes forces me to not be social. &when people notice it&point it out it gets worse. I've tried everything from breathing exercises to placing my hands or water bottle on my cheeks. Please help! i need advice on how to make it stop going red all the time! Smile

Hey girl! Check out the last part in this article: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/08/17/i-want-more-confidence.aspx ! Hopefully that will help! Also one of my best friend's faces gets red all the time, but she's learned to make a joke out of it. She just laughs it off and is like whoops i can't help it! Maybe if you try talking about it with your friends and just lightly joking about it you'll feel better! And guess what?!? I bet no one notices it as much as you do, so if you act like nothings wrong I'm sure no one else will even notice! xoxo

Carly S.

by junior on 8/22/2012 3:34:12 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
What can i do about cramps, cause now i have them, and I want them gone before i go back to school (1:15)because i have gym. help?

Hey chica! Ask your mom or the nurse if you can take some ibuprofen! That should help get rid of the cramps in no time! Also if you have time to take a shower or bath they both help a lot! Hope you feel better! xoxo
Carly S.

by Jas.cathy on 8/22/2012 3:26:56 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
what do i say to the nurse, and how do i tell my mom i got it? thanks Smile

Hey sweets! No worries! I'm sure your mom knew it was coming! Just pull her aside and let her know. She'll understand your situation and be super helpful! When you go to the nurse just say that you got your period but it's your first time so you don't have anything to use and then if you are struggling with either a tampon or pad ask her how to do it. She deals with situations like these on a day to day basis and is ready to help you! xoxo

Carly S.

by Jas.cathy on 8/22/2012 3:15:43 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
hi, i think i just got my first period, and idk what to do, because i just came home for lunch (from school)and i found this red-ish brownish stain in my undies. None if my friends have pads, and i have to go back to school soon, so i cant run to the store and get some. What do i do? thanks (:

Hey girl! Try going to the nurse at school! She should definitely have something and will be able to answer any of your questions! If you don't have tampons or pads put a little bit of toilet paper in there for now but make sure to talk to an older girl (mom, friend, grandma, nurse, etc.) and have her help you! Don't worry you'll be fine! and congrats! You're getting older! xoxo

Carly S.

by Jas.cathy on 8/22/2012 3:00:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD !!!!
Last night, I got a total of ZERO hours of sleep. I've had insomnia for about a month now and it seems to just be getting worse. I've already been to the doctor twice with barely any feedback. I've tried EVERYTHING! I feel so sore and I have no energy right now but my mind just can't shut down. Whenever I try to sleep, my heart starts beating faster and I just can't. I'm supposed to go to dinner tonight with my friends. Should I skip it since I am feeling this way? I really want to go!! The doctor said maybe I should see a psychologist. Should I? I need advice!

Hey girlie!  If your doc thinks you should see a psychologist, he or she probably thinks it'll help, so talk about it with your 'rents.  If it helps you sleep, then it's worth it, right?  Go hang out with your friends- feeling tired at home isn't going to make you feel better.  Try and get a little nap in (half an hour or so) before you see them, it might help you feel better.  I hope you feel better soon, sweetie! xoxo

Kate G.

by Eaglette on 8/21/2012 1:22:52 PM

MODMODMODMODMODMODMODMMOODMOD
MOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just got my period on Monday and my friend has a pool party on Friday!! It's been less than a year since I first got it, I'm not even a teenager and I've only been able to put at tampon in once!!!!
WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!?!?!

Helen S.

by TresSapphire on 8/20/2012 8:42:28 PM

Hey chica! I wouldn't worry about it. Just focus on soccer and school. I got my first period the first week in eighth grade! I went to the bathroom while we were changing for gym class. Unfortunately for me, it was the beginning of the school year, and I hadn't put any protection in my locker yet. I had to go to the gym teacher(it was a female, thank goodness). So, just have protection everywhere you go, and since it will be your first time, it shouldn't be that heavy. Hope I helped!

by cats-r-the-best on 8/20/2012 5:14:55 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
HELP!
My mom gave me advice on puberty, but now she just spurts out everywhere that I am wearing a bra,
But it isn't that big of a deal!
It is just a training bra....
I know she is just excited that I am growing up, but I have been wearing a training bra for two year now! It is NOT that big of a deal!

Hey! yeah, moms can get a little hyper about that kind of thing. Just remember she's watched you grow up since before you were even born so for her, every change is a minor miracle, even if it's not to you. Keep that in mind, and gently let her know that you're ok with the two of you knowing you're wearing bras, but not the whole world.

Helen S.

by Rainbow♥123 on 8/20/2012 5:11:27 PM

It'll sneak up on ya in the form of immense back pain. Trust me, I should know. That exact thing happened to me!

by peppercyndaquil13 on 8/20/2012 5:00:18 PM

I have a friend whose parents are divorced and she lives with her mom the majority of the time. Her mom is terrible to her and the moms boyfriend is even worse. His kids tell him lies about my friend and her siblings and then he gets mad at her. Also, she has to share a bedroom with her little sister and her sister has taken over the room. My friend always talks about how she hates her mom and cant wait to move out, and i agree with her. She has talked to her mom, and she got a desk all to herself in the room she shares. Now, her mom has decided that she has to keep all her clothes in bins under her bed. She doesnt even get a closet. So many times when we talk about this, she is crying, and I dont know what I can do to make her situation better. I suggested talking to a counselor, but she doesnt want to.
What can I do? Please help...
Thanks

Hey chicky! Unfortunately, all you can do is be there for your friend.  I know it doesn't seem like much, but supporting her and letting her sleepover when her house is too tough is all you can do for her.  Talk to your mom and let her know she's having a tough time at home and she might need some extra nice mom-things now and then (if you are close with your mom and she knows your friend well).  Encourage her to talk to her dad about how things have gotten. xoxo

Kate G.

by pottergirl135 on 8/20/2012 12:08:33 PM

I'm about to turn 14 and I think I got my period but I'm not sure. At the very beginning of August I had spotting and cramps for 5 days. The spotting started heavy (like lots of little smears and dots) then got lighter(only one or two dots). The thing is, I've heard periods are sometimes very light for the first time (like just a few spots of blood). This was the first time I ever spotted or cramped. If this was my period then I'm supposed to get it again at the end of the month... And that's the first or second day of school! What do I do? I'm not sure if the blood was enough to be a period. I don't know if this matters, but the blood was all bright red. PLEASE HELP ME ASAP. Thanks!

by purple10115 on 8/19/2012 7:48:59 AM

How do I convince my parents to let me have an email ID? Whenever I ask ‘em, they’re like “You can use Mom’s ID to sign up for whatever website u want. It’s not safe for kids to have their own.” & I’m 12!!!!! Please help!!!!!!

Hey girlie,

Try talking to your parents about it and asking them exactly what they're concerned about. Be mature and stay calm - the worst would be to throw a tantrum. Just hear them out. Ask them what you could do to make them feel better. If you got your own, could they have the password? Only let you use email during certain times a day? Whatever it is, let them know that you really want to work with them and compromise because having an email address means a lot to you. Don't get discouraged if they say no - it's a matter of time before they let you get one, so you'd just have to be patient. But absolutely speak up now so you can figure out what they're thinking!

Lauren C.

by LilyBS123 on 8/19/2012 4:55:17 AM

I was really scared that I was gonna have my period during the first week of school. My school starts on Monday but luckily, I got it yesterday. My period usually lasts for 5 days so by Monday, my period should have died down.

I didn't want it on the first day of school because I get bad cramps and I didn't wanna deal with that.

by NJessicaN on 8/18/2012 8:59:37 PM

i where a pad everyday just in case it happens unexpectedly.Smileoh and.... Boy Problems ASAP
Ever need someone 2 talk 2 but, your to afraid 2 ask your parents. It's OK just talk to me and I'll help you out ASAP!Please feel free 2 ask questions.Oh and remember the more people the BETTER!Ages 10-17.JOIN DA CLUB!

by AarynJ on 8/18/2012 4:29:06 PM

Advice Queen:snagmonkey
♥Hey Girlies!♥★If you need some advice on growing up stuff I'm your girl!★I give answers REALLY fast because I'm on all the time and I check my profile constantly!★And I give trustworthy advice that really works!★

Xoxo,
snagmonkey

by snagmonkey on 8/18/2012 3:21:52 PM

Same here and I'm going into 10th grade!

by fallsb-ball on 8/18/2012 2:14:17 PM

I got it my first ime at school and it wasn't really a big deal. At lunch i just asked to go to the nurse. There were some boys in her office but she totally played it off like I had to deliver something for her. I love my school nurse!! Smile

by isyrocks on 8/18/2012 1:41:32 PM

..............

by unique730 on 8/18/2012 12:41:02 PM

Hey peaches and raspberries, thanx for your comment chica! Xoxo

This article is wrong. Not every woman has had a period. And not every person who has had a period is a woman. You are excluding the trans* people. Bleeding from the uterus doesn't determine your gender, thanks. Lynae P.

by peaches and raspberries on 8/18/2012 11:52:53 AM

Hey purple10115, mhmm maybe that was your first period. Well if you do get your period the first week of school just be prepared. Bring tampons or pads and some pain medicine. You can keep this stuff in a small purse and go to the bathroom between classes and on your lunch break. It may even be good to let your teachers know ahead of time you aren't feeling well and will need to go to the bathroom. Hope this helps and hope you have a great first day! Xoxo

MOD MOD MOD MOD
Im 13 (turning 14 in a month) and I have all the signs of getting my period, and im pretty developed. At the beginning of the month I got my first spotting and period cranps ever! But the spotting never really got heavy and never turned into what I thought would be my period. What im wondering is, was that my first period? ive heard that first periods can be really light. The spotting and cramps lasted 5 days, about the length of an actual period. So if that was my period, or even if it wasnt, Im scheduled to get acne and other PMS on August 27 (around them) because my cramps and spotting happened around the time my Mom got her period, and thats when her next one is. The problem is, thats the first week of school! So I might get my period again (if thst was my period) or my first period might come hen! Also the spotting was all red. HELP! Lynae P.

by purple10115 on 8/18/2012 8:31:53 AM

We all have or will get it when we are in a place where and when we dont want it ti happen. We just have to be ready and hopefully we are more regular than irregular with our cycle.

by fashionqn on 8/17/2012 11:26:11 PM

Wow, i havent had mine yet and im in 8th grade now. Weird that it can come at such different times! Sory if TMI

by uniquester on 8/17/2012 8:52:10 PM

MODMODMODMOD!!!
My bfffffffffff is 15 and DOESN'T have her period! Ive known her since i was 6 and i actually expected her to have her period by now. I DONT THINK SHELL EVER GET IT!!!!! any advice to help her cope?

Hey girl,

If you're worried about your friend's health, you could suggest that she see a doctor to make sure everything's normal. But periods are different for everyone, so even if you have yours and she doesn't, it doesn't mean her bod isn't on track! She will get her period when her body is ready!

Meghan D.

by YayaYuiki on 8/17/2012 8:26:39 PM

okay im gonna be completely honest here and tell you that it is NO BIG DEAL! ive gotten surprise attacked multiple times at school and its such a small amount that its hardly noticeable. i didnt notice till like 2 hours later. just relax and it will be okay. bring it in a zip up bag and put it in the inner pocket of your backpack where no one can see it. good luck girl!
~love, a very honest and helpful high schooler(:

by sillygal on 8/17/2012 8:24:55 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm starting junior high, but I don't have any friends going to the same school as me. I'm shy and not a very talkative person. I can't help but worry that I won't make any friends, and have no one to sit with at lunch. Do you have any advice? Thanks!

Hey girl,

We get tons of queries like yours about starting at new schools, and the great news is that you will be fine! There will be plenty of people for you to meet, even if you are shy. Try starting up a conversation with someone who looks nice or who you have a common interest with (ex. you saw her reading your fave book) so that you have something to talk about! Check out or "new school" tag for TONS of great posts on starting at a new school! http://www.girlslife.com/tag/new-school.aspx

Meghan D.

by cloudyday on 8/17/2012 7:28:27 PM

i got mine ona school day in march during science. i asked to go to the bathroom. since i had no supplies handy, i took toiulet paper and wraped it around the bottom of my underwear. it held for that perios and the next adn i changed when i got home. remember, toilet paper wrapped around bottom of underwear

by N3rdyRand0mn3ss on 8/17/2012 7:12:48 PM

Also if you notice it DO NOT IGNORE IT, get some new clothes, it will save you a ton of embarrassment, one girl in my class had hers and didn't do anything, she let it show...it was bad the boys thought she pooped... Lauren I.

by LLL328 on 8/17/2012 4:37:38 PM

I got mine at a church camp when I was eleven...you'll be okay trust me. Lauren I.

by LLL328 on 8/17/2012 4:36:28 PM

I've gotta say, periods suck. But it sounds like you're tinier, it's no big deal to get it later. Smile Lauren I.

by kenzi143 on 8/17/2012 4:31:25 PM

I got my period this summer, and I just got it again today, school starts Monday. Kinda nervous to see how I'm going to handle it at school.

Hey girl! Just stay prepared and you'll be alright! Best of luck!

Lauren I.

by georgetownroad on 8/17/2012 4:04:13 PM

I had mine after school (phew!) in grade five. I was earlier than all my friends and they were like, "What do I do when it happens?! I'll be covered with blood!" It was hilarious! They all have theirs now though, and realised how crazy they were being. Lauren I.

by ColosalMascara on 8/17/2012 3:34:40 PM

I would have LOVED to get mine at school! My friends are all guys except for two, and I was at one of my guy friends houses, and I had to go talk to his mom, whom I've known for years! 😳 Lauren I.

by Fmwhitt on 8/17/2012 3:25:39 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm going to be a high school freshman in three days and I STILL don't have my period. I'm 5'5", 98 pounds, and I started getting breasts almost four years ago. Will it ever start?

Hey girl, congrats on starting high school. And don't worry! Lots of girls don't start their period until their freshman, sophomore or even junior year of high school. Every girl is different. If your still concerned, try sharing your worries with your mom or doctor.

Lauren I.

by -gogreengal- on 8/17/2012 3:24:53 PM

TBH, periods aren't fun. Just a fact of life.
However, we all get 'em, and we all live through 'em. (Even if it's the most you've bled ever)

So don't worry. Just keep a pad or tampon on hand. And change it regularly. P.S.: At school it's much easier, because you always have a set time to do it. Smile

by OMGabi on 8/17/2012 2:42:51 PM

i got my period while spending the night at my grandma's house in 6th grade. i wasn't for sure what it was at first because i could barely see it. it wasn't that heavy but then over the next few days i didn't feel too good and it got heavier. fortunately, mine wasn't too bad. if u don't have any pads with you, stuff your underwear with toilet paper until you can find a pad. works every time;) good luck!

by myfatsquirrel on 8/17/2012 1:56:58 PM

never had a period

by mmk1102 on 8/17/2012 1:56:09 PM

My first period was at an EXTREME awk time.... but it was fine. i got my first when we had just moved from america to switzerland and the day where all the new kids get shown around by students that been there before so the situation was already nervracking awkward by itself and then it came i was going the baathroom during a break and i noticed all this blood! i was too nervous to tell anyone (especially since i didnt know anyone) so i just stuffed my under ware with toilet paper and kept a confident face!!
trust me no matter how aawk the stitch (my friend got hers while swimming and she noticed the blood in the pool, but noone else did!) you WILL BE JUST FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile

by k4ndyk4ne3 on 8/17/2012 1:13:38 PM

I hate how my school uniform skirts don't have pockets, and how they don't allow us a few minutes to use the restroom inbetween classes. I have to ask during class, go to my locker and hope the teacher doesn't ask why I went to my locker. Then, I shove it in my sweater or my sock as fast as I can and go to the bathroom. And because it's all echoey and girls are always in the bathroom, it embarrasses me sooooo much:/

by alexia_directioner<3 on 8/17/2012 1:13:19 PM

Mod! Mod! Mod! Mod!
Where should I keep pads if my period comes unexpectedly? Like girls at school keep them I there backpack but when it comes the girls bring their backpacks into the bathroom and everybody knows! My pockets aren't big enough to shove them in plus you can kinda see what it is, I don't wanna carry around a purse because I'll have to worry about losing it and keep track of it because it's awkward, AND I don't want to shove it in seatshirt pocket when I go back to school because at the beginning of the year it's too hot to wear a sweatshirt? Do you have any other ideas where I could put them for accidents?

Hey girlie! I agree that taking your backpack between classes is your best bet.  You could try something super sly, like putting it into a book, but any way to you it, people will guess what's up, so you might as well just stick to the norm! xoxo

Kate G.

by Icecreamluver on 8/17/2012 1:11:26 PM

I have an irregular period and we cant have purses at my school and i cant put my tampons in my pencilpouch because my BGF has NO idea what a period it and i cant keep him or anybody out of my pencil poych.
-Any advice girls help!!

by hopie1215 on 8/17/2012 12:57:23 PM

Keep one or two pads in your pocket - if you have one, so you won't have to carry a purse around and get questions.

by Sarah510 on 8/17/2012 12:46:31 PM

cheetah#1 and puffinlover99
YOU GUYS! She is trying to feel comforted. "Periods are evil." and "Periods at school are awful!" is not going to help.

by WinnieGirlie on 8/17/2012 12:46:23 PM

Periods are the most evil things in the world. I have a ridiculously heavy period. But I actually find school easier because you don't go anywhere and you have scheduled times to change your tampon.

by puffinlover99 on 8/17/2012 11:54:27 AM

Periods at school are awful.I tried to sneak pads and stuff in at little purse, but people saw it and began asking questions! Oh, glob.

by cheetah#1 on 8/17/2012 11:45:57 AM

I got mine for the first time the summer after 7th grade..I was SO grateful it was summer!! lol I worried about the exact same things!

by maggie183 on 8/17/2012 11:39:17 AM