12 HOURS AGO This #GLgirl gives you the scoop on gorg glowing skin: http://t.co/iY3iYtAtF7

15 HOURS AGO Currently swooning over these adorbs beach bags: http://t.co/GT2oH9Il1x

16 HOURS AGO Unleash your inner bookworm with our fave award-winning reads: http://t.co/WVbM9Uj7aj

COMMENTS

Judge rules school violated girl's civil rights by punishing her for a FB post

Earlier this year, The Next Web Reports, a 12-year-old girl from Minnesota posted a not-so-nice comment on her Facebook page—she said she hated a hall monitor who...

I don't think that what the school did was right. The girl's punishment is for her family to decide. Schools have no right to control what students say and do while they are not on campus and demanding passwords is just an invasion of the girl's privacy.

by softballgurl37 on 9/17/2012 6:52:38 PM

@_Sadie_ She didn't make a mistake. It might have been a bit rude to post that about the hall monitor, but honestly the school was being nosy and punishing her for something she did at home!
It wasn't nice of her, I'll give you that, but it has nothing to do with the school! Then they were demanding her passwords?!?! NONE of their business and she had every right to sue them. I think what the school did was terrible and it makes me happy that I don't have to go to school like THAT.

by LovePeaceHope on 9/17/2012 6:45:45 PM

Mod!!!
My hands are always super sweaty and clammy!!! It doesn't just happen when I'm nervous, it happens all day and stays for a long time. What causes this and how can I stop it???
Thanks =)

Hey girl, it could be a variety of different things, but I'd def bring it up with your doc the next time you see 'em. As for combatting them, your doc can give you a cream to target it if it's a bigger issue. It's a convo worth having if it really gets in the way.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by music191 on 9/17/2012 6:25:45 PM

Well she should NOT have posted hate but the school should not hae vilated amendments. But c'mon? the girls sus the school for her OWN mistakes?

by _Sadie_ on 9/17/2012 6:01:37 PM

I think they shouldn't take away her email and stuff but I think she should stop talking about sex I mean shes 12 I'm not having sex until I'm married. The facebook prob. Why do they need her fb pass?

by Gracie206 on 9/17/2012 5:50:55 PM

The school has no right to ask for her facebook and email passwords. Her email is her email and they have no right to search it. Unless she posted the things at school the school really shouldn't be even checking her facebook posts. She can say what she wants and her parents allow online. Saying someone is mean doesn't count as bullying. It's her oppinion and she can state it if she wants to. But there are times when you should keep your opinion to yourself though.

by luvmonkey1313 on 9/17/2012 5:38:34 PM

Okay, this girl sounds like a git, but really? Why are they on a 12-year-old girl's facebook?

by iluvmusic♥ on 9/17/2012 5:31:57 PM

this is just dumb.yeah it was mean to say the hall moniter was mean. but even if it was on facebook they should have just said that she shouldnt say it on facebook and just give her iss. not try to take her private info. if her and the boy where talking about nasties they should have taken it between the parents.the school shouldnt be involved with the stuff kids do on e mail

by bking62 on 9/17/2012 5:28:24 PM

She shouldn't have posted those mean messages, but I think the school took it a step too far

by myfatsquirrel on 9/17/2012 5:27:53 PM

The girl shouldn't have posted these things don't get me wrong. It was rude, disrespectful, and immature of her. This doesn't mean the school should be ripping her privilege of privacy and freedom of speech. Everyone has a right to speak their mind, respectful or not, and this girl shouldn't be deprived of this. A detention or even a suspension is understandable and I agree she should get the punishment if she cursed at at a kid online which is cyber-bullying. Taking this girl's Facebook username and password, and her private email is overboard. This girl's male classmate's mom could have lied or mixed her up with a different. Anyway she has a right to talk about whatever she wants. This isn't the school's concern. If anything it should be between her and her parents. I don't officially agree with suing the school, even thought what they did was wrong, but this girl's privacy was completely invaded and that is completely unnecessary. I feel bad for this girl who had to go through this.

by BabyDahl13 on 9/17/2012 4:49:21 PM