3 HOURS AGO It is never too soon to start thinking about fall fashion! Here are some of our favs: #GLStyle http://t.co/ur0KcH2S0v

4 HOURS AGO #Quiz: Is you friend a real friend? http://t.co/KiJFbS0la7

5 HOURS AGO Excited to be back at school? Show off your new nerdy nails that girls will die for! http://t.co/HljuRfVyHY

COMMENTS

Have you tasted alcohol?

Though the drinking age in the U.S. has been 21 for nearly three decades, many states have exceptions for alcohol consumption by minors, often when in the...

sometimes my parents let me sip their wine. its so nasty! i definetly think it discourage me from drinking later.

by WhiteWolf13 on 11/1/2012 10:05:00 PM

I taste wine alot because I live in a french/Italian house. I am fine.

by sfluv on 10/5/2012 9:39:53 PM

Drinking can lead to doing so many other things like taking drugs and starting sex early that I think we need to stay away from it as long as we can. I am shocked by some of the things I see and hear my friends on what they do after they drink.

by fashionqn on 10/4/2012 4:32:53 PM

nooo ive never had even a sip of achohol b4! i cant believe so many kids have... thats a lil shady if u ask moi....

by fearless;) on 10/2/2012 10:18:14 PM

My mom lets me taste her wine at home. I think it is really gross!!!!! I agree that I will be less likely to drink as an older teenager if alcohol isnt some forbidden thing.

by sbieber13 on 10/1/2012 7:43:47 PM

Well one time I went to Austria and my dad really wanted me to try some alcohol since it was really special. So I've had schnapps, wine, beer, and champeinge.... it was all so absolutely disgusting I really can't understand how people can drink that stuff!!

by eemmais1 on 10/1/2012 1:05:52 AM

I have tasted alcohol once. I rinsed my mouth for about 20 minutes. Never again....

by jo_crox on 9/29/2012 10:11:26 PM

I have tasted alchohol... but only on thanksgiving or at Christmas dinner. I liked it, but I wont ever drink recklessly when I am older

by b1scu1tjr on 9/27/2012 8:52:56 PM

Well, I've had wine before in church. I've never had beer and I don't want to. I think it smells gross, so why would I drink it?

by Confused13 on 9/27/2012 7:38:50 PM

ok well almost everybody's had wine. Like, hello, church? Laughing my friends and i want to figure out how long it'd take to drink a whole bottle of wine if we have one of those little cups every sunday lol

by dramaqueen122 on 9/27/2012 6:22:22 PM

I HAVE had alcohol, and it isn't that bad. I'm wondering where they got their information, because there was a study in the Wall Street Journal that said allowing your teenager to have an occasional beer would help them not drink. Which is pretty much the opposite of this. I have tasted alcohol, while I lived in France, and it didnt't hurt me.

by puffinlover99 on 9/26/2012 7:52:04 AM

Sometime my dad asks us to taste it but that's usually when it's really gross, like my mo doesn't even like it. If my sister takes a sip she almost always rinses her mouth with water for like 5 minutes. If I ever have it, it's on accident, like if the drink looks like it was just a regular soda... But it's not Frown

by kittycat99kmb on 9/25/2012 11:04:50 PM

Actually, it's because alcohol is treated as such a forbidden thing that we have such a bad teen drinking problem in the US. Keeping it forbidden, something only adults can do, just makes teens more curious and willing to try it. It also keeps people from teaching teens that alcohol is something to be enjoyed in moderation, and not abused. People who try it when they're young and who are taught the good and bad sides of it are far less likely to go out and binge drink at parties until they get so drunk they can't stand. Almost all of my friends were allowed to have sips of alcohol occasionally as children. My best friend's parents even let her drink on special occasions, such as birthdays and holidays (keep in mind my best friend and I are both 17) None of my friends are going to go out and get drunk, because they know what it feels like to drink, and it's not forbidden. They have nothing to gain by drinking. No rebelling, no acting immature, because they are treated like adults.

by rockinlishy on 9/25/2012 11:01:10 PM

My parents have let me had a sip of beer, wine, and champagne. But it was JUST a sip. I didn't like the taste or smell of any of them and that discourages me from drinking in my teen years.

by ana*marie on 9/25/2012 10:10:24 PM

I have taken a sip of many different kinds of beer. I only like one, but I promised my parents that i would wait to have more than a sip. I think if your parents really push you not to use it as a minor or at all, there shouldn't be a problem! Some parents just don't care enough anymore. Therefore, I feel there should be more awareness out there.

by Madi<3 on 9/25/2012 9:17:43 PM

The first time I had a sip of alcohol is when I accidently took a sip of a smoothie that had alcohol in it when I was six. I threw up not longer after. Never drinking again.

by luvrmusic on 9/25/2012 8:33:45 PM

Im 15 and where im from everyone parties and drinks at like 13. Its terrible but its the norm here in our small town.

by Im.Unique.YAY! on 9/25/2012 8:19:57 PM

To all who think it smells and tastes bad - your senses will change over time. Your taste buds may acquire to the taste. Same with smell. I'd say more but I gtg gotta history project due tomorrow! CyaSmile Questions about alcohol? Ask me on my self titled advice queen page! Smile Tschus!

by alindgren on 9/25/2012 8:07:42 PM

As long as you're not getting wasted every weekend, a few sips are fine. BTW I'm 14. Things like booze (mostly 3.9% AL) isn't gonna hurt ya. UV Blue Vodka (35% AL)? Too much of that and it'll sneak up on ya. Most drinks don't taste much like alcohol, lots of carbonation and sugar in it. Guess what? YOLO! That's not an excuse for illegal drugs like marijuana or smokin' cigs, but you'll be fine with a few. Last year around this time I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. It flared up so bad after I had a drink that I almost died and had to have surgeries to remove my colon because meds couldn't help me. I told myself I'd never drink again, and where am I now. But again, it's not like I get wasted every weekend. I really only have a drink or two at the most once a year when I go to my cabin annually. Just did last week. Still here. Fake alcohol can taste pretty good too I've heard, never had it though.

by alindgren on 9/25/2012 8:03:58 PM

I have only had it once, but it was at my first communion and i HATED it! so no drinking for me in the near future!

by kdpkdp on 9/25/2012 7:36:16 PM

At Passover, you drink 4 glasses of wine, so I've had that, and my parents let me try theirs. When my mom was little, she was told NO alcohol, so then she wanted it more. So she lets me have sips to show its not a HORRIBLE thing

by PuddinHead on 9/25/2012 7:31:08 PM

yes, a couple times. i personally think it's gross!!!

by loppyears12 on 9/25/2012 6:38:37 PM

I tasted beer before, and its disgusting in my opinion. If people try and peer pressure me, im not gonna cave cause i already know its gross. Wine tastes better but I dont like it either.

by emroxlol on 9/25/2012 6:21:19 PM

um.... well what bout Catholics? most catholics make first communion in 2nd grade, so they probably didnt think about that.....

by t-dog123 on 9/25/2012 6:13:43 PM

here in canada the age is 19 most places and 18 some. i had a sip of wine or beer im not sure, when i was a baby. i saw it in a home movie and my face was hilarious. my parents have never been opposed to letting me have a sip. i dont think its big deal.

by fanciestjen on 9/25/2012 5:52:41 PM

I have tasted wine for communion but thats it

by donna1 on 9/25/2012 5:06:48 PM

Ick! 3rd graders! 5th graders!? 7TH GRADERS!!!!!! I am in 7th grade, my sis is in 5th, and my close cousin is in 3rd grade! We all have never ever ever taseted alchol

by heather99 on 9/25/2012 4:40:14 PM

I took a sip once or twice but i hated it so i dont i will be drinking till im 21

by sarahsprinkles265 on 9/25/2012 3:58:25 PM

Before my first communion my mom let me take a sip of wine to see if I wanted to take a sip at church like some people chose to do, it tasted horrible!!!! Like old sweaty sour apple juice! Never goin to drink wine or beer or any thing like that again!!!!!!

by Prim on 9/25/2012 3:50:46 PM

I've had a glass or two of wine.. but my parents dont drink.

by RainbowPuke99 on 9/25/2012 3:44:29 PM

I have had a few sips of beer and wine but my family doesn't drink much at all. I think the whole give them some alcohol when there young thing isn't a good idea though, just because they don't like it when there young doesn't mean that they won't try it again when there older.

by iluvmusic♥ on 9/25/2012 1:04:57 PM

Yuck i would never drink!!!!

by seekthetruth929 on 9/25/2012 7:45:10 AM

I occasionally have a sip of diluted wine when I go to church. and most of the times I say no thnx

by KoolBeenz on 9/25/2012 7:22:36 AM

I don't think it's an issue I have had wine for religious ceremonies and I've had a sip of champagne for a toast.I have friends from other countries who've been drinking since they were eight (watered down wine) and one from Germany who on occasion would get a beer with her friends.Even though they started drinking young it's a part of the culture and their parents set rules and limits and showed their kids how to be responsible.I think the drinking age should be lowered to eighteen, if you really want to drink you'll find a way to do it; and if it's legal it is probably safer.

by arg5890 on 9/24/2012 8:51:40 PM

I've tried beer and wine once when i was younger.Just a sip! I'll never have it again it was so gross. No thank you!

by Magicgal18 on 9/24/2012 8:32:56 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
my bff and i are crushing on the same guy. he's told me he likes me and has also said he really doesn't like her (even as a friend), but i can't bring myself to tell her. one of her other friends made out with a different guy she liked and she's never forgiven her. You may think that's justified, but this friend told her she liked the same guy as she did and she told her to go for it, then when she found out they kissed she flipped out. I can't tell her we like each other cuz she'll either bawl her eyes out or strangle me. she's getting all clingy to him and i don't like it, but even if i tell her he likes me she'll just get a thousand times more clingy to him. what do i do??? Frown

Hey girl, I think you've got to let him make the message clear. That's his job, not yours. Just continue being a friend to your pal. She may not want to hang with you if you and this guy get together. And that's understandable from her end: she's hurt. But be patient and continue being there. She'll come back someday.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by zoey_27 on 9/24/2012 8:23:56 PM

fyi, people who say they tried it and like it, a scientific study say that cigarettes and alcohol literally take the sheen out of your hair and it will be totally dull, idk about you, but that is a deal breaker

by lemonlime123 on 9/24/2012 8:17:18 PM

I honestly think that letting them drink sips of their parents wine or beer every once in awhile when they are young (say, before 10 or 9), it will help them not want to drink alcohol as a teen because they never tried it. I think this because I honestly have never heard of one kid at this age who has liked alcohol when they have tried some of their parents. When and if they are exposed to it while hanging out with friends as a teen, they can refer back to this memory and remember how disgusting it tasted.

by LovePeaceHope on 9/24/2012 8:03:34 PM

No way! It smells horrible to me anyway, and I bet it tastes just as bad. I never want to try it. Yucckkk

by taylorswiftfan1233 on 9/24/2012 8:00:32 PM

That is kind of scary, but my parents don't believe in letting their kids try it before 21. One of my friends though when she was 5 she drank 5 glasses of "apple juice" because she thought that's what it was, but actually it was beer!

by WinnieGirlie on 9/24/2012 7:56:28 PM

What about wine for religious reasons?

by kewauneegal on 9/24/2012 7:45:06 PM

My paretns let me have my first sip when I was in 1st grade. it was Bud Light I think. Iwas sooo excite and I went to school the next day and told my friends. They were like, what's wrong with you? Don't you know that's bad?

I know it's not now. I still love it! But I', not crazy. Like when my dad tells me only a sip I sneak a gulp or two. LOL!

by Noissap on 9/24/2012 7:13:55 PM

I've had alcohol before. Mostly at weddings, where there's already champagne at the table though Smile

by ♥purplexing♥ on 9/24/2012 7:12:23 PM

My mom lets me dip my finger in the wine on new years eve/night always its ok like sour grape jucie shes been doing that since i was 6/7 years old. I don't see how people can drink alot of it though and i think the moms who do that r smart since the kids will always remember it tastes bad.

by serenitybaum on 9/24/2012 7:11:45 PM

When I was younger, my parents let me taste a sip of wine. It was awful! I never want to drink it again! Tong

by oceangurl13 on 9/24/2012 7:11:31 PM

Aww! I cannot believe third graders are drinking alcohol! That's sad because if they take this seriously they could become an alcoholic in the future. I have never once tasted liquor or any alcohol, nor have I ever even thought about it! It smells bad and doesn't seem good. Also beer is fizzy like soda and I hate soda because it is fizzy! I will stick to water please! Smile

by BabyDahl13 on 9/24/2012 6:50:47 PM

when i used to go to church i had wine every sunday at Communion. it was nasty as all get out. never drinking that crap again

by Kalulah on 9/24/2012 6:43:07 PM

I think this study is probably true and it makes me scared to be a parent. I my parents let me sip from their drinks at home.

by otter77 on 9/24/2012 6:39:06 PM

it onnly happened once by mistake i thought it was sprite, but it was white wine its so nasty i only took a sip though it tastes horrible!!!! D:

by mcw3400 on 9/24/2012 6:39:05 PM

I've never tried alcohol and I'm 14. The smell of it is enough to convince me to never try it. I'm also a Christian and it says not to drink fermented drinks. My parents occasionally have an alcoholic beverage but I've never wanted to try it.

by 1corinthiansgurl on 9/24/2012 5:56:11 PM

I'm Jewish and I'm allowed to have wine on Jewish holidays. My parents let me have a little in the house or give me a small sip out but no more than a glass

by superstarlala on 9/24/2012 5:54:54 PM

My parents would never let me!!! And I don't want to! Drinking is disgusting and I would NEVER EVER do it! Ever! Ewwwww!

by Lady Grey on 9/24/2012 5:46:41 PM

I'm sorry - alcohol is just completely disgusting, it's not even worth trying. It smells bad, tastes bad, and is bad for you - just like cigarettes! Just don't do any of it! IT'S NOT COOL!

by jojodramallama on 9/24/2012 5:43:18 PM