3 HOURS AGO Who knew babies and sloths (yes, sloths!) could be such good friends? http://t.co/t3cHUse1PC

4 HOURS AGO ICYMI @Zendaya's starring in a brand new movie: http://t.co/1VDEbqpbHp #zswaggers

5 HOURS AGO Are you a loyal friend? Take the #quiz to find out: http://t.co/jGdkLjNp6t

COMMENTS

Are school lunches leaving you hungry?

When the federal government passed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, they intended to curb obesity and boost nutrition provided to kids across America through the...

I saw this video on The Young Turks.

I pretty much think that my lunch is ridiculous!
Guess what I had today?

A chicken sandwich.. Milk... and pears...

I pretty much had to pay to fill myself up for lunch with icecream.

Also, lunch at my middle school is 2.10 . Last year it was 1.10 !

I find the price of lunch ridiculous because there's not even enough food on my tray!

I'm going to have to start bringing my lunch...

by Dstyles34 on 10/2/2012 5:22:47 PM

IKR! It's messed up for the public schools! I get only water and milk(low fat) for drinks, always salad very DAY!, there has to be an apricot or orange, peach, banana, or apple every day!, and some miny chicken tenders, only 2 small pieces! ALWAYS SILVERWARE COMES WITH THE LUNCH! The only cookie there is oatmeal or girls scout cookies, hate them! No chocolate chips! Frown We do get grilled cheese, tuna sandwich,peanut butter for the kids with no allegory for peanut butter and other stuff

by Susmita24 on 10/2/2012 4:43:24 PM

I lived the video, so cute! But I totally agree since I started doing a sport this year I'm always starving when I get home so I pretty much eat a whole other meal between lunch and dinner. Plus I really depend on lunch because I don't usually have a lot of time in the morning... I miss snack time Frown

by kittycat99kmb on 10/1/2012 11:54:55 PM

I feel lucky! Going to a charter school, our lunches include the entree item (which is plenty big), a fruit choice, a snack/treat of some kind, and a choice of milk, fruit juice, or water!

by hbwildchild on 10/1/2012 11:36:37 PM

I swim after school for 3 hours and our gym class is 80 minutes for two to three days a week. I live in a upper-middle class town where athletics are very heavily emphasized, and the federal government cutting the amount of calories in our lunches has brought our performance down on standardized tests, on the field, on the ice rink, on the court, and in the pool, especially on the few kids who rely on school lunches for their main source of food and qualify for free or reduced price athletics. A lot of kids have taken to supplementing their main line lunch with Ala Carte, but the food isn't very good. I need nearly 3500 calories a day to function properly, between school, swimming, growing, and general activity and I have barely any fat. I take my own lunch since there isn't enough, but hot food is always more filling, and I don't dare use the school microwaves. Now the school is trying to serve healthy food, but it's always weird stuff that doesn't taste good. I want the law repealed!

by lol1029 on 10/1/2012 11:07:53 PM

oh, and BTW it says 2000 per DAY, the law was just meant for LUNCH. Just sayin.

by Glitterheart16 on 10/1/2012 10:56:35 PM

I go to a little Catholic school but we were still affected by this law because the state pays for reduced lunches. On top of that, our new cook doesn't like bread, never gives us desert, and no ketchup! Basically, I have no energy left for two hours of swimming after school. I can;t do it any longer!Frown

by hungergamesgirl on 10/1/2012 10:53:36 PM

my mom sent me the vid, I think it's funny.

by Glitterheart16 on 10/1/2012 10:51:30 PM

At my school, we used to have a salad bar and it was huge! you could get a salad, soup, and sandwich all of good size and then all the sides that came with it. We don't get fruit juice anymore, ranch, salt, pepper, peanut butter, jelly, extra bread, you could get 2nds for a buck and now we have to pay full price, and the entrees are smaller and disgusting! They serve the same thing every week. We also used to have the best snack shack ever where you could get extra food. they had big pretzels with cheese, leftover doughnuts from breakfast, giant homemade cookies, bagels, cereal, pop tarts, chips, juice....basically anything you could want and now all we have is granola bars, some healthy chips, milk, and that's about it. I want it to go back to normal by the time I graduate. Everyone hates it, I don't know how the school or the government doesn't realize this.

by rosehuber on 10/1/2012 10:42:51 PM