1 HOURS AGO Sleep easy: 5 tips to kick your night owl habits for good: http://t.co/xh0ax2dZEE

2 HOURS AGO Enter Miss Kitty Couture's Style Selfie contest to win an iPad mini and fab fashions!: http://t.co/VLEA1qtyxe

3 HOURS AGO Bring on the new month with a DIY calendar!: http://t.co/mNSrvdHjnm

COMMENTS

Are school lunches leaving you hungry?

When the federal government passed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, they intended to curb obesity and boost nutrition provided to kids across America through the...

i love this video, and this article. our school lunches are really small. and the worst thing, is that they aren't healthy, either. there's a sign that says we must have at least one fruit or veggie, and the lunch ladies put out the same bruised, squishy apples every day until someone takes them. and all, literaly ALL, the main things are covered in oil and grease. and don't even get me stared on the pizza! there's more grease than cheese.
they used to serve healthy things, like salads and our school district's special grinders, but now they serve nachos. every thursday. the whole year. so i think that this video is an awesome example and i hope the schools will watch this and understand.

by soccacheer on 10/1/2012 6:41:04 PM

Honestly I don't see too much of a problem. Though I don't think the school should tell you what you have to eat the calorie limit isn't that crazy. Being vegetarian I don't normally get the school lunches because there are never any healthy meat free options. While I don't think the school should be able to tell you what to eat, you should be full if have good choices. If the food isn't enough try keeping a snack like apples or almonds in your locker.

by cece-marie on 10/1/2012 6:32:40 PM

we get a mini lunch!!!! if your lucky you get 6 half inch by half inch chicken nuggets, a baby apple, and a milk!!!! thats it!!!then if you what butter for your roll(if your luck enough to get a roll)its 50 cents!! 50 cents for a little thing of butter this is outrageous! i agree with the kids who made the video

by Prim on 10/1/2012 6:25:04 PM

OMG yes!!! I use to LOVE my schoo lunches, i'd rush downstairs to the cafeteria and eat everything, but now it takes me 2 seconds and im done. Im not saying i ate a lot last time but thats not the cause of obesity anyway! what kids choose to eat other places like home do! The lunches were perfect before but now...im getting mad about it

by singstarsammy on 10/1/2012 6:21:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD! so i just moved to Florida over the summer and iv'e made some friends, but i don't like them! They're really annoying, but i don't know how to find another group, because i haven't really met anybody that is like me. It's too late to join any clubs or sports at my school, so how am i supposed to meet new people. We're already 2 months in (a fourth of the way done) and everybody already has groups. Also, whenever I try to talk to somebody new and become friends with them, my 'friend' is always like "in case you can't tell, she's really awkward" and "sorry about her, she's really weird" and now a lot of people don't like me because of that. I am really shy, and most of the people I met don't like me because of what she has been telling them. She is trying to joke around, but it's really not funny, and it's making it even harder to make friends. Sorry this was so long, but I have no idea what to do. Thanks so much! Smile

Hey girl, I think you need to confront that 'friend' about it: explain while you know she doesn't mean to, when she talks like that about other people, it hurts them and you. Confront her about the behavior, and she'll become more conscious of it and maybe — fingers crossed — change it. In the meantime, try getting to know the people you sit next to in class more. Invite people from different groups to hang out together after school. Clubs introduce you to new faces, but it's up to you to make those faces more than just that and friends.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by rockstargal03 on 10/1/2012 6:12:08 PM

So true Shirley Feeney!!!!!!! I haven't eaten school lunch since the beginning of 6th grade and now I'm in the 8th grade! It's disgusting

by kilgore7 on 10/1/2012 6:08:06 PM

I haven't baught school lunch yet this year. My school offers healthy options, but they're pathetically small and the apples are bruised. The lunchs you can buy arrive on a truck in the morning and are reheated. Yuck! If you want us to eat healthy, get fruits and veggies from a farmer's market. I'm not encouraged to eat an apple that doesn't look like it should.

by smileurastar on 10/1/2012 5:51:46 PM

haha the video was good he fell out of the ambulance
but still they should feed the kids more there

by pandasrock292 on 10/1/2012 5:39:57 PM

First of all, the article was only talking about TEENS. But in the video, they show little kids crawling home! And the message the people in the video are saying "We don't have any obese kids in our school!" But I'm sure they do. And why can't they just bring home lunch?!

by Bobalina on 10/1/2012 5:35:53 PM

I don't see this as a problem. First off, I don't believe that eating 5000 calories a day is healthy. If you're eating healthy, filling foods, 2000-3000 calories should be more than enough. They're banking on the fact that most kids will go home and eat several hundred calories worth of snacks, and dinners can be upward of 1000 calories. When you add up the total amount of calories you consume in a day, it should still be around your daily needs even with a cut lunch. The government wouldn't have passed the law if it was really a concern.

I'm a huge health junkie though, and my school has off-campus lunch so I haven't come across this problem yet. It's just my opinion!

by fireworks1071 on 10/1/2012 5:21:06 PM