AN HOUR AGO #DailyGiveaway! 3 fly off with @EyeFly3d's Nanotech 3D viewer and screen protector for iPhone: http://t.co/vAD5g4ILs6

1 HOURS AGO Into suspense? Blue Lily, Lily Blue by @mstiefvater is the book for you! Win this @Scholastic must-read here: http://t.co/vpny9EfUEn

13 HOURS AGO You want dermatologist-approved skin—here's how to get it at home: http://t.co/QnHOyrxeqe

COMMENTS

Are school lunches leaving you hungry?

When the federal government passed the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, they intended to curb obesity and boost nutrition provided to kids across America through the...

I guess I am really lucky because my school doesn't serve lunches so everybody brings their own. The only bad part it that we only get about 6 or 7 minutes to eat! Everybody is like shoving food into their mouths and not eating all their lunch because once the bell rings our lunches have to go away! It doesn't help when their is a line at the microwave and you brought something that needs heating up! Hello??? we need to eat!!!!!

by cupcakecutie325 on 1/3/2013 4:14:03 PM

The best part is that the chicken and other types of meat in school lunches are barely meat, so you're basically eating a ton of garbage with zero nutritional value. However, if you are feeling hungry, pack a snack, or bring a lunch to school. The video was hilarious, though, especially when the kid fell out of the ambulance.

by Sangeet27 on 11/25/2012 9:36:24 PM

I think the new school lunch system is ridiculous. The seniors in high school get exactly the same amount of food to eat as the kindergartners! also a normal lunch looks like this at our school:
main course- overcooked burrito
sides-
lettuce (yes just lettuce, u must pay extra for the dressing)

apple slices sitting in murky water (that are salty for some reason)

corn that is like doused in pepper so it doesn't even taste like corn anymore.

yep, that is seriously what I had for lunch at our school yesterday. The cost? $2.75

by billabongbabe997 on 10/6/2012 11:17:21 AM

Our school has put into effect the policy of a plate lunch including a vegetable and our portions have decreased. Most of the kids will just throw out the veggie before they even sit down at the table. I'm all for the healthy choices, but i really don't think that's the way to do it. It's just a waste of money for us and for the school, also its a waste of food! What they really need to do is just make the entree healthier instead of decreasing the portion. Health is a personal choice and shouldn't be regulated by the government.

by cahbead21 on 10/3/2012 3:58:50 PM

At my school it's 2 dollars and 50 cents for another lunch and its a dollar for chips wat do u think we gonna choose

by cutie00 on 10/3/2012 7:34:37 AM

i really don't like the policy. our school has ala carte but it only has junk food and everyone goes there after they get school lunch because they are still hungry or they bring their own. even our principal packs a lunch for his kids because they don't get enough at school and they are in elementary. we aren't allowed food in our lockers either so we don't have the option to eat between classes and our school is small with over 1/2 of the students in sports.. :/

by SuperSquirrel on 10/2/2012 10:30:07 PM

I have to admit, some parts are funny. Like when the guy falls out of the ambulance.
But really, 750 - 850 calories might be enough for a child, but even then kids need more food. They are growing! Maybe they should pay attention to getting the adults to eat that many, then maybe they'll think differently--kids need more calories than adults, anyway! Adults don't want to starve, yet they are perfectly fine letting the kids starve. We see how you work, federal government, as long as you are happy why would you care how we feel?

by awesomegirl4everandalways on 10/2/2012 9:03:26 PM

I've watched this video like 20 times the night my dad showed it to me, he probly found it on Facebook, and I've had my S.S. teach, my cheer coach, and a TON of my friends! We all agree that the school lunches are jank, so me and two of my friends are trying to get the entire school to bring thier luches ALMOST every day, lunch ladies need pay and who doesn't love breakfast for lunch, anyways I hope this encourages many more people to do the same. BOYCOT SCHOOL LUNCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by mnc333 on 10/2/2012 8:46:37 PM

I bring my own lunch but at our school it is out of control because for lunch one day they served 2chicken wings and some not fresh fruit. If they are so worried they should spend a tiny bit more money and get regular chicken and grill or bake it. It might cost some but so does buying oil to fry everything with!

by starkidpotterfan on 10/2/2012 8:43:45 PM

I acually like what the policy does at my school. they give us a little less of the main course than before, but you can get as much fruits and vegatables as you want. so if your like me and love healthy food you can take as much as you want! We also can grab water while when we're inline. before we had to get in a different line to get water or any extra food. we dont have cookies or v8 anymore and i dont like that. but still! I know some kids who would just go to the special line and get a bunch of unhealthy stuff and just eat that. Eww!

by WhiteWolf13 on 10/2/2012 6:32:45 PM

I saw this video on The Young Turks.

I pretty much think that my lunch is ridiculous!
Guess what I had today?

A chicken sandwich.. Milk... and pears...

I pretty much had to pay to fill myself up for lunch with icecream.

Also, lunch at my middle school is 2.10 . Last year it was 1.10 !

I find the price of lunch ridiculous because there's not even enough food on my tray!

I'm going to have to start bringing my lunch...

by Dstyles34 on 10/2/2012 5:22:47 PM

IKR! It's messed up for the public schools! I get only water and milk(low fat) for drinks, always salad very DAY!, there has to be an apricot or orange, peach, banana, or apple every day!, and some miny chicken tenders, only 2 small pieces! ALWAYS SILVERWARE COMES WITH THE LUNCH! The only cookie there is oatmeal or girls scout cookies, hate them! No chocolate chips! Frown We do get grilled cheese, tuna sandwich,peanut butter for the kids with no allegory for peanut butter and other stuff

by Susmita24 on 10/2/2012 4:43:24 PM

I lived the video, so cute! But I totally agree since I started doing a sport this year I'm always starving when I get home so I pretty much eat a whole other meal between lunch and dinner. Plus I really depend on lunch because I don't usually have a lot of time in the morning... I miss snack time Frown

by kittycat99kmb on 10/1/2012 11:54:55 PM

I feel lucky! Going to a charter school, our lunches include the entree item (which is plenty big), a fruit choice, a snack/treat of some kind, and a choice of milk, fruit juice, or water!

by hbwildchild on 10/1/2012 11:36:37 PM

I swim after school for 3 hours and our gym class is 80 minutes for two to three days a week. I live in a upper-middle class town where athletics are very heavily emphasized, and the federal government cutting the amount of calories in our lunches has brought our performance down on standardized tests, on the field, on the ice rink, on the court, and in the pool, especially on the few kids who rely on school lunches for their main source of food and qualify for free or reduced price athletics. A lot of kids have taken to supplementing their main line lunch with Ala Carte, but the food isn't very good. I need nearly 3500 calories a day to function properly, between school, swimming, growing, and general activity and I have barely any fat. I take my own lunch since there isn't enough, but hot food is always more filling, and I don't dare use the school microwaves. Now the school is trying to serve healthy food, but it's always weird stuff that doesn't taste good. I want the law repealed!

by lol1029 on 10/1/2012 11:07:53 PM

oh, and BTW it says 2000 per DAY, the law was just meant for LUNCH. Just sayin.

by Glitterheart16 on 10/1/2012 10:56:35 PM

I go to a little Catholic school but we were still affected by this law because the state pays for reduced lunches. On top of that, our new cook doesn't like bread, never gives us desert, and no ketchup! Basically, I have no energy left for two hours of swimming after school. I can;t do it any longer!Frown

by hungergamesgirl on 10/1/2012 10:53:36 PM

my mom sent me the vid, I think it's funny.

by Glitterheart16 on 10/1/2012 10:51:30 PM

At my school, we used to have a salad bar and it was huge! you could get a salad, soup, and sandwich all of good size and then all the sides that came with it. We don't get fruit juice anymore, ranch, salt, pepper, peanut butter, jelly, extra bread, you could get 2nds for a buck and now we have to pay full price, and the entrees are smaller and disgusting! They serve the same thing every week. We also used to have the best snack shack ever where you could get extra food. they had big pretzels with cheese, leftover doughnuts from breakfast, giant homemade cookies, bagels, cereal, pop tarts, chips, juice....basically anything you could want and now all we have is granola bars, some healthy chips, milk, and that's about it. I want it to go back to normal by the time I graduate. Everyone hates it, I don't know how the school or the government doesn't realize this.

by rosehuber on 10/1/2012 10:42:51 PM

I saw this on the news

by sakura1240 on 10/1/2012 9:48:29 PM

Yep, I play Tennis, basketball AND do acting! And that's just school stuff! Otherwise I ride bike, practice tennis & basketball, walk my dog! And when I'm counting on lunch when I have a teeny breakfast, I starving when I get home. And when I tell my mom I'm starving, she thinks I'm exaggerating.

by lavlo on 10/1/2012 9:38:22 PM

I have!!! Last year our lunches tasted great and so like EVERYONE bought... We would spend half of our lunch period in line! The lunches are TERRIBLE this year! No one buys anymore! I didn't know why though.. Now I do!

by turnonthemusic1 on 10/1/2012 9:36:41 PM

Our school has been super affected by this policy. I'm a pretty healthy, fit person but they seriously won't let me buy lunch unless I get peaches. Just peaches. No other fruit. Yet some kids can get three pieces of pizza, a slushee, and pudding and I can get a nice little salad and mashed potatoes, but I can't get it without fruit. And the fruit is packaged, not even fresh. Okay, my rant is over Smile

by kenzi143 on 10/1/2012 9:29:32 PM

Are you serious? More calories doesn't always mean it keeps you fuller for longer periods of time. Eat the fruits and veggies on your plate instead of throwing them in the garbage and stop complaining.

by Harry-Potter-Fan on 10/1/2012 9:23:51 PM

I never buy... *shudders* The horrors of school lunches... And I'm vegetarian. Bringing is a lot better anyways.

by topaz1116 on 10/1/2012 9:02:13 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!
So, I bring a homemade lunch, with lots of protein and other good stuff, but by the middle of the period after lunch, I'm starving. And I don't know why. It's literally, 20 minutes after eating, I am hungry! I think something is wrong with me.

Hey girl, why not try bringing a healthy snack to eat at some point during the day like an apple? Healthy things like fruit can keep you full so your stomach isn't growling during the afternoon.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by WinnieGirlie on 10/1/2012 8:18:52 PM

I have not been affected by the new school lunch policy. I think the video is a good way to spread the word about this issue, and I think the problem should be fixed by just limiting the unhealthy stuff in the cafeteria and added more healthy items.

by otter77 on 10/1/2012 7:03:05 PM

@ShirleyFeeney. I LOVE YOUR USER NAME!!!!! LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY FOREVER!!!!! and don't forget Lenny and Squiggy.

by Danerka on 10/1/2012 6:53:59 PM

The pic on top looks perfect... so. perfect.

They should have a policy where a kid in sports gets one thing with a little more carbs, since that's energy. Like an extra piece of bread with peanut butter.

by Danerka on 10/1/2012 6:51:50 PM

At our school we bring our own lunches which is really good for athletes like me who need dietary supplements and extra protein etc. However there is also a school canteen where u can buy food from. America should learn from our government.

by Synchrostar on 10/1/2012 6:48:04 PM

i love this video, and this article. our school lunches are really small. and the worst thing, is that they aren't healthy, either. there's a sign that says we must have at least one fruit or veggie, and the lunch ladies put out the same bruised, squishy apples every day until someone takes them. and all, literaly ALL, the main things are covered in oil and grease. and don't even get me stared on the pizza! there's more grease than cheese.
they used to serve healthy things, like salads and our school district's special grinders, but now they serve nachos. every thursday. the whole year. so i think that this video is an awesome example and i hope the schools will watch this and understand.

by soccacheer on 10/1/2012 6:41:04 PM

Honestly I don't see too much of a problem. Though I don't think the school should tell you what you have to eat the calorie limit isn't that crazy. Being vegetarian I don't normally get the school lunches because there are never any healthy meat free options. While I don't think the school should be able to tell you what to eat, you should be full if have good choices. If the food isn't enough try keeping a snack like apples or almonds in your locker.

by cece-marie on 10/1/2012 6:32:40 PM

we get a mini lunch!!!! if your lucky you get 6 half inch by half inch chicken nuggets, a baby apple, and a milk!!!! thats it!!!then if you what butter for your roll(if your luck enough to get a roll)its 50 cents!! 50 cents for a little thing of butter this is outrageous! i agree with the kids who made the video

by Prim on 10/1/2012 6:25:04 PM

OMG yes!!! I use to LOVE my schoo lunches, i'd rush downstairs to the cafeteria and eat everything, but now it takes me 2 seconds and im done. Im not saying i ate a lot last time but thats not the cause of obesity anyway! what kids choose to eat other places like home do! The lunches were perfect before but now...im getting mad about it

by singstarsammy on 10/1/2012 6:21:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD! so i just moved to Florida over the summer and iv'e made some friends, but i don't like them! They're really annoying, but i don't know how to find another group, because i haven't really met anybody that is like me. It's too late to join any clubs or sports at my school, so how am i supposed to meet new people. We're already 2 months in (a fourth of the way done) and everybody already has groups. Also, whenever I try to talk to somebody new and become friends with them, my 'friend' is always like "in case you can't tell, she's really awkward" and "sorry about her, she's really weird" and now a lot of people don't like me because of that. I am really shy, and most of the people I met don't like me because of what she has been telling them. She is trying to joke around, but it's really not funny, and it's making it even harder to make friends. Sorry this was so long, but I have no idea what to do. Thanks so much! Smile

Hey girl, I think you need to confront that 'friend' about it: explain while you know she doesn't mean to, when she talks like that about other people, it hurts them and you. Confront her about the behavior, and she'll become more conscious of it and maybe — fingers crossed — change it. In the meantime, try getting to know the people you sit next to in class more. Invite people from different groups to hang out together after school. Clubs introduce you to new faces, but it's up to you to make those faces more than just that and friends.

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by rockstargal03 on 10/1/2012 6:12:08 PM

So true Shirley Feeney!!!!!!! I haven't eaten school lunch since the beginning of 6th grade and now I'm in the 8th grade! It's disgusting

by kilgore7 on 10/1/2012 6:08:06 PM

I haven't baught school lunch yet this year. My school offers healthy options, but they're pathetically small and the apples are bruised. The lunchs you can buy arrive on a truck in the morning and are reheated. Yuck! If you want us to eat healthy, get fruits and veggies from a farmer's market. I'm not encouraged to eat an apple that doesn't look like it should.

by smileurastar on 10/1/2012 5:51:46 PM

haha the video was good he fell out of the ambulance
but still they should feed the kids more there

by pandasrock292 on 10/1/2012 5:39:57 PM

First of all, the article was only talking about TEENS. But in the video, they show little kids crawling home! And the message the people in the video are saying "We don't have any obese kids in our school!" But I'm sure they do. And why can't they just bring home lunch?!

by Bobalina on 10/1/2012 5:35:53 PM

I don't see this as a problem. First off, I don't believe that eating 5000 calories a day is healthy. If you're eating healthy, filling foods, 2000-3000 calories should be more than enough. They're banking on the fact that most kids will go home and eat several hundred calories worth of snacks, and dinners can be upward of 1000 calories. When you add up the total amount of calories you consume in a day, it should still be around your daily needs even with a cut lunch. The government wouldn't have passed the law if it was really a concern.

I'm a huge health junkie though, and my school has off-campus lunch so I haven't come across this problem yet. It's just my opinion!

by fireworks1071 on 10/1/2012 5:21:06 PM

Our school has terrible food on of the entrees is cold pasta and chicken. It smells like cat food!!!! I haven't eaten school food in over 2 years!!!!

by cherry1 on 10/1/2012 5:19:55 PM

At our school we have 2 fruits a veggie and an entree, this one entree is like cold noodle and cold chicken and it smell like cat food!!!! My school has gotten worse over the years, so bad that even I haven't eaten there for 2 years I'd rather eat a sack lunch.

by cherry1 on 10/1/2012 5:17:36 PM

lol this is so ironic. my teacher made our class watch this today now i see it on gl. haha i thought it was educational

by lilmissamazing on 10/1/2012 5:14:36 PM

Heck, we don't even get lunches the size of what'
s in the picture! We get an ice cream scoop of mashed potatoes, a 2 by 2 inch roll, a little meat, and a small scoop of a veggie, and fruits, or 1 pear half.

by ShirleyFeeney on 10/1/2012 4:54:52 PM

thats so sad! My school hasn't done that, we get a main thing, a fruit, a drink, and there are lots of other junk food snacks like cookies and brownies, chips, etc. for extra money mailyse f.

by april0405 on 10/1/2012 4:44:46 PM

My school is private and we had our lunches cut too! It is so stupid! mailyse f.

by coco4 on 10/1/2012 4:40:14 PM

This is so tru! Our school has cut back on junk food or any kind of food for that mattter...we get a entree and a fruit and veggie. mailyse f.

by wildflower223 on 10/1/2012 4:38:02 PM