7 HOURS AGO See what reality star is getting bullied behind the runways!: #StopBullying http://t.co/8dWrkf6fRu

8 HOURS AGO Is there space between you and your guy now that you’re BTS? Help decode the situation here: http://t.co/IN1fP6QYcM

9 HOURS AGO That *very* awkward moment when you and your bestie are crushing on the same cutie: http://t.co/ihRzxuWfDU

COMMENTS

Help! Tampons freak me out

I just got my first period last month, and I used pads. I think they’re really uncomfortable and they totally don’t work for my dance classes, but...

mod mod mod
Okay so I have had my period for about a year now and have used pads.. I want to use tampons but I'm scared.. I know I'm a wimp but I feel like they would hurt. Weird question, but are they like the size as your middle finger? Like width and everything? I don't know haha cause pads can make me uncomfortable especially in the summer with all the heat. Sorry for all the questions!

Hey girlie, depending on the size of your fingers a tampon is probably a little wider and a little shorter. I would recommend looking for a plastic applicator because it will go in more smoothly. It might take a couple tries to get it right, but a tampon isn't going to hurt.

Lauren T.

by gorillagirl14 on 1/20/2013 8:50:42 PM

IT wont go in!
If someone says they are to small down there to even use tampons what can they do? I have been using them for a while but my friend wants to but she claims every time time she tries she can never get them to go in. I told her about being at the right angle, lifting one leg, using lubricant but she says none of it works. Should I tell her to go to the doctor, or just keep trying. I when we are dry down there, its not good. Maybe she should just stay with pads.

Hey girlie,

I'm sure your friend will get the hang of tampons eventually, it can be really frustrating but it just takes practice! You could refer her to talk to her mom or an older sis for tips. You can also refer her to these posts: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/12/21/I-cant-get-the-hang-of-tampons.aspx http://www.girlslife.com/post/2009/06/23/007-Period-Advice.aspx

Meghan D.

by fashionqn on 1/20/2013 12:58:35 AM

Can I use tampons for discharge? Or just use a pad?

by animallover0 on 1/7/2013 3:28:41 PM

I'm on my period and I have always used pads. I have been having periods for about a year and a half. I am active so my pads rip up easily when I run and sometimes at school. It is so gross! I asked my friends about tampons and they said that they work great. I really want to learn how to use them but I'm scared to ask anyone. My mom knows about my period but I so don't want to ask her about it. Could you please help me.

by Originally Unique on 1/2/2013 5:09:59 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!
Ok. So I've had four periods and I have never really used a tampon. Today I tried and I got one in but I didn't get it far enough in and I'm not taking it out because I know it will hurt because I haven't put in long enough. Well... As of now it is working but it feels as if it is gonna slide out.. Is this bad? And would it be safe to sleep in a tampon for a small amount of time? Like four hours getting up and changing it? Because I haven't told my mom about my period yet so I've been living on pads I find around the house, and how should I tell her? Sorry. It's kinda long. Lots of questions.

Hey Cet, you should take the tampon out. For one, it doesn't sound like it's insert completely or properly and two, it feels as if it's going to slide out. I don't think you should leave it in for more than 2 hours. If you happen to fall asleep, take it out as soon as you wake up. Tell your mom girly. I'm sure she's noticed missing pads around the house. No worries, she's the best person to tell because she will help you out. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by Cet on 12/28/2012 4:30:01 PM

mod mod mod mod

Hey girlie, it's absolutely not stupid! Part of the reason you're having trouble might be nerves. You just need to relax and insert it. The best way to get used to it is practice. When you keep using them they'll get more comfortable and easier to insert and use. Just take a few deep breaths and go for it.

Lauren T.

by flipper9983 on 12/9/2012 7:22:18 PM

Modmodmod
Please help!
A couple days ago at school i wiped down there and the there was blood idk
But after i got home i wiped there was no blood and the next time and the next
time but still no blood. I am 12 years old 7th grade....
I dont want to ask my mom when she started because it would be kinda awkward
my breast are really tender i have pubic hair and i have had discharge for about
2 years now! When will i start?!
Anyone who already started their period could you tell be how you felt the week before it started plz

Hey girlie, it could be spotting. Spotting is when you have a little blood here and there, usually before your period. So your period could be coming soon.

Lauren T.

by Luckyme101 on 12/9/2012 6:15:43 PM

So livlovesoccer14, using tampons is easy when you learn how. I dont know why they dont put diagrams on GL about how to properly use one but there are other places online like kotex that gives diagrams on how to put one in. Best way is to prop up one of your legs and get comfortable enough so you can insert it. The vaseline helps it go in easier and at first you may just want to use more than you need but it does get easy after a few tries.

by fashionqn on 12/3/2012 11:45:34 PM

I have no idea how to put in a tampon..and i need to start wearing one! I hate pads! And with sports they are so uncomfortable. Help please!

by livlovesoccer14 on 11/12/2012 6:14:16 PM

For five months I've had spotting and cramps at the same time of the month. I knew my period was trying to start, but wasn't here quite yet. Then, last week, when I wiped, there was blood. This was the first time that there was blood when I wiped. So I was like, "Hm. Maybe my period will finally start?" But I still only get little dots of blood on my undies, and a small amount of blood when I wiped. Then today, I had really bad cramps for about an hour (which stunk) but then I got home from school, went to the BR, and there was blood all over the toilet paper, but nothing on my undies! What is going on? Is this my first period??

Hey babe-

Sounds like it! Just keep monitoring it! xoxo

Alexis G.