5 HOURS AGO Real talk—my room was clean... then I needed a shirt: http://t.co/zfG1nfcONo

8 HOURS AGO Kick your costume up a notch with 6 Halloween beauty DIYs: http://t.co/1KW6HBlNQb

9 HOURS AGO Put THIS on your pie: http://t.co/7BjsohLMXk

COMMENTS

Help! Tampons freak me out

I just got my first period last month, and I used pads. I think they’re really uncomfortable and they totally don’t work for my dance classes, but...

I don't like tampons they're really uncomfortable

by Dizzy Little Dreamer on 6/19/2013 1:03:55 AM

MOD
I'm starting swimming classes this summer, and they go from nine in the morning to eight at night. I'll need to wear tampons (of course) but even though i've been trying to use them more often the past few months, i still can't get a hang of them. I have used them before, but for some reason i can't wear them one after the other. i've only ever used them on the first day of my period and a few days later. anytime too soon, and it hurts-a lot! I don't know how to describe it, but i can't push it in and when i try to, it almost... stings. I'm worried that since my swim classes are everyday, i won't be able to wear them, especially since i'll have to put them in during lunch or something while i'm there. Why does it hurt and how can i get quicker at putting them in? Thank you!

Hey girlie. Well these things come with practice. Read these two articles all about tampons here and here. If that doesn't help, make sure you ask your mom or guardian. Maybe they will be able to help you out since the situation is an urgent one. Good luck with your classes! xx
Jess D.

by ladedagirl on 6/14/2013 4:27:42 PM

quick! i am going swimming later today and i have my period and i tried a light flow tampon today during school and it leaked a bit! should i just try a bigger tampon when i go or should i sit out?

by animallover0 on 6/12/2013 1:18:21 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!!!!!
I have had my period for a while now and I use pads... I rlly hate them tho! It feels like your walking around in a diaper Frown((( I REALLY want to use tampons, but i tried them b4 and it rlly hurt Cry I am going camping soon and i KNOW i will be on my period.. I rlly want to use tampons.. any advice?? Thx

Hey! Just that practice makes perfect. As long as you follow the directions carefully you'll get the hang of it eventually and then you really can't feel them at all Smile it's great. You can do it! Keep on trying.

Helen S.

by emily_bergi on 5/30/2013 6:26:14 PM

I am 16 and I have been having my period since I was 11 I always used pads. I want to start using tampons but every time I try, it won't go in. I don't know what's wrong and I don't feel comfortable talking to my mom about it. I got the smallest tampons I could find and I have tried many times but I always feel resistance and pain. I don't want to hurt myself and I am getting very frustrated. I know you are supposed to be calm and everything else that the directions say but I still can't do it. I heard that I should try to lubricate the end of the tampon but I haven't tried that yet. Any other advice??

by Ithilethiel on 5/22/2013 3:09:16 PM

I think i have a weak bladder.Does this mean i cant wear a tampon.

Hey girlie,

I don't think that will affect your tampon use at all! Smile

Meghan D.

by MTC 415 on 4/21/2013 12:29:38 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I hate wearing pads but my mom wont let me wear tampons because of TSS how can i convince her

Hey girlie. Your mom has a point - TSS can be pretty serious when you get it. But maybe try asking her if you can wear a tampon some of the time, like if you know you're going to have gym that day, or during sports - times when wearing a pad is most uncomfortable.
Florence N.

by zoenep on 3/29/2013 12:24:51 AM

HELP!!
so im 15 now and i just started using tampons, so i know how to put it in and all that but i still have some more questions. When i insert a tampon i have to lay on the bathroom floor with a mirror (Sorry if that makes you grossed out). But now i need to learn how to insert it sitting down or standing up because of school. I tried today at school during lunch but it just wouldnt go in while i was sitting down...i need help...i'm not suppose to see it right, because when i put in in while sitting down i still see the bottom of the tampon. I stick the platic part in all the way, well atlest i think.??

Hey anitakay11, try propping your leg up on the bathroom stall wall to insert it at an angle. That may help it go in easier. Also try practicing different positions at home. Hope this helps! Xoxo Smile

Lynae P.

by anitakay11 on 3/26/2013 6:02:34 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Tampons really freak me out, I'm not that scared but just the thought of having something, no matter how small, ect... In my vagina just kinda freaks me out.My mom respects my decisions of period products, she said if I wanna wear tampons, I can, if I don't, she's not gonna force me. Can you give me some tips to dial down the fear factor? Thank you in advance.

Hey girlie, the best way to get over your fear is to face it. Just relax and try one. You'll see when you try using a tampon that it's not scary and doesn't hurt.

Lauren T.

by ShirleyFeeney on 3/25/2013 3:33:34 PM

MOD MOD MOD (don't know what that means but okay)
So I'm thirteen and I started my period in the middle of December. And it was kinda heavy. Like I had to change these diaper sized pads about every 30 mins to and hour. But it hasn't come back and it's the middle of march. I'm kinda scared but I don't wanna ask my mom about it. Also I'm scared about using tampons. I know, I sound like a wimp but seriously, I dont like the fact that some plastic thing with a string will be up my va- jay-jay for hours at a time. Help!!!

hey! next time you see your doctor definitely ask about this. It's your health and you have no reason to be embarrassed about asking questions. I understand that tampons are intimidating, but you should know that tampons themselves aren't made out of plastic. most are made out of soft fiber like pads. many tampons have outer plastic shells called applicators that you use to insert them, but after that they're empty and you just throw them away. If you practice using them you'll get the hang of it Smile good luck!

Helen S.

by alexandrah99 on 3/16/2013 3:56:28 PM

How do i ask my mom to start using tampons? I HATE the pads I used in the bery beginning because they were just, well, bleck. They were super thin though. Now my mom just bought some Kotex to try for my next period. I am 13 and have had 7 periods so far and I am very small (5'3'') and super skinny (size 0) So to sum up, I am SUPER petite, hate pads, am SUPER active,and want to start using tampons eventhough I dont know how to ask my mom. Her and i are close, like we will talk about cramps and.the blood just running into each other in the hallway, but not super insanely close. BIG QUESTION(S):
How do I ask my mom if I can start using tampons? (If she says yes, i wouldnt mind going with my BFF into walgreens to get em myself)
Or...
What kind of pads would you recommendfor someonewho is VERY petite and active?
Or...
Should I just wait until summer and tough it out through Mar/Apr/May so I have an EXCELLENT reason to start using tampons? (I swim A LOTin summer)

Hey girlie,

I would just bring it up with your mom and tell her the reasons you've listed here! If you were able to ask her about pads, I'm sure it won't be awkward to ask her if you can use tampons. She's been there, too! As for what type of pads you should use, Kotex are great and offer tons of varieties, or you could ask your doc or mom which type would be best for you.

Meghan D.

by bothun2000 on 3/15/2013 10:43:12 PM

Hey, (Mod ?)
Uumm, I'm 12, in a month 13, and I haven't gotten my period yet. I want my period, and I've been researching, and I don't want to wear a pad. The thing is, i'm NOT scared of tampons, opposite, actually. I WANT to wear tampons. But, I don't know what, when, or how to tell, ask, my mom about it. Honestly, I know a tampon will fit, and I know what it feels like, because, during one of my very heavy, white, discharges, I tried one, and took it out right away, after not being able to feel it (which was 2 minutes). But I don't know when I will get my period. (I've been in puberty since I was 9, including white discharges, ever since). Also, Is something wrong with me? And, What, when, and how would I ask, or tell, my mom?

Hey girl, everyone gets their period at different times.  You might get it in a month or you might not get it for another couple years, but it's best to not practice inserting a tampon until you've started your period.  It doesn't sound like anything is wrong, but if you're worried you can always check in with a nurse or a doctor.  You can talk to your mom anytime.  Just find a place where you can speak privately.  Be honest and direct.  You got this.  Good luck!

Karin E.

by 2580Samantha2580 on 3/12/2013 1:18:21 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
Help! I have this big test tomorrow and I can't leave until 1:15 and it starts at 7:45 and I have my period when it's the heaviest! What should I do!!! (I prefer to wear tampons)

Hey girlie, there must be a bathroom break during that! Keep a tampon in your pocket so that you don't have to take anything with you to the bathroom. And wear a pad as backup so that you're not worried about leaking the whole time.

Lauren T.

by TaylorEK on 3/11/2013 4:24:29 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Meghan D.
No one has a pad, and my class has been extended for another hour. Help!

Hey girlie,

I would just talk to your teacher then--it might be awkward but they can help you get the situation taken care of!

Meghan D.

by DMlover123 on 3/8/2013 10:46:42 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
UGHHHH!!! I'm freaking out! I think I just got my first period. But the thing is I'm at kumon (learning help thingy) right now and I won't be home for another two hours! I don't have a pad, or tampons or anything! Help what do i do.

Hey girlie,

I would talk to your teacher so that they could help you get a pad, or you could ask around the girls and see if any of them have one!

Meghan D.

by DMlover123 on 3/8/2013 9:07:54 PM

I want to use them but there are 2 probs my mom is wierd to talk to about your period and my pieriod is gone I hade it got a year then it was gone it has been gone sense 6-8 months ago help I'm only 13 almost 14

by Sneakers88 on 2/21/2013 5:14:05 PM

MOD MOD MOD or someone please help
Is it normal to be almost 16 and on my period for 3 years and still freak about tampons? i just got my period yesterday and i have practice tonight and we have to wear yoga pants and I'm afraid of my pad showing because they're tight pants. I just tried inserting a tampon but i keep freaking out and it feels like it hurts. I'm seriously scared and on the verge of tears please help I've read every article and i still can't get used to tampons and how to do it.

Hey girl, take a deep breath.  Staying calm and relaxed will make inserting a tampon easier.  When you first start using tampons, they can be really tricky to use.  Just like anything else, practice makes perfect.  Practice inserting a tampon when you're not rushed and you can take your time.  And there's nothing wrong with wearing a pad to practice, no one else is gonna' be looking that closely.  If you're still worried, talk about it with your mom or an adult lady you trust.  Good luck, chica!

Karin E.

by samileigh13 on 2/18/2013 1:46:29 PM

Well tampons are not that bad

by kayseyM on 2/10/2013 8:48:43 PM

I've had what I THINK is my period for seven months... except it's super light, like only light enough for a panty liner. I'm scared though because I haven't gotten my 'period' yet this month, and I don't know why. My 'period' is light (i think) because I am very very active. So now I'm scared because just when I thought I was going to get a real period, it hasn't happened yet Frown

Hey girl, after you first get your period, it can sometimes take years for it to develop a regular, monthly pattern.  It sounds like you might just be having discharge and not your period yet, but you'll probably get it soon.  If you're feeling worried, talk with your Mom or an adult you trust.

Karin E.

by purple10115 on 2/4/2013 5:11:41 AM

Mod mod moddddddddd
Ok so I got my period like three days ago and last night I got a tampon in! But since it's toward the end of my period I was dry when I put it in and dry when I took it out. It always dumps everything like in the middle of the day and I don't think I'd be able to put in/ take out a tampon at school yet cuz it takes me a while and I just started using them last night. Please help I need more advice I'm really confused. Thanks ;)

It just takes time to get used to it...if you feel uncomfortable, maybe you should stick with pads during school for now.

mailyse f.

by cuddlebug143 on 1/25/2013 10:38:22 AM

mod mod mod
Okay so I have had my period for about a year now and have used pads.. I want to use tampons but I'm scared.. I know I'm a wimp but I feel like they would hurt. Weird question, but are they like the size as your middle finger? Like width and everything? I don't know haha cause pads can make me uncomfortable especially in the summer with all the heat. Sorry for all the questions!

Hey girlie, depending on the size of your fingers a tampon is probably a little wider and a little shorter. I would recommend looking for a plastic applicator because it will go in more smoothly. It might take a couple tries to get it right, but a tampon isn't going to hurt.

Lauren T.

by gorillagirl14 on 1/20/2013 8:50:42 PM

IT wont go in!
If someone says they are to small down there to even use tampons what can they do? I have been using them for a while but my friend wants to but she claims every time time she tries she can never get them to go in. I told her about being at the right angle, lifting one leg, using lubricant but she says none of it works. Should I tell her to go to the doctor, or just keep trying. I when we are dry down there, its not good. Maybe she should just stay with pads.

Hey girlie,

I'm sure your friend will get the hang of tampons eventually, it can be really frustrating but it just takes practice! You could refer her to talk to her mom or an older sis for tips. You can also refer her to these posts: http://www.girlslife.com/post/2010/12/21/I-cant-get-the-hang-of-tampons.aspx http://www.girlslife.com/post/2009/06/23/007-Period-Advice.aspx

Meghan D.

by fashionqn on 1/20/2013 12:58:35 AM

Can I use tampons for discharge? Or just use a pad?

by animallover0 on 1/7/2013 3:28:41 PM

I'm on my period and I have always used pads. I have been having periods for about a year and a half. I am active so my pads rip up easily when I run and sometimes at school. It is so gross! I asked my friends about tampons and they said that they work great. I really want to learn how to use them but I'm scared to ask anyone. My mom knows about my period but I so don't want to ask her about it. Could you please help me.

by Originally Unique on 1/2/2013 5:09:59 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!!
Ok. So I've had four periods and I have never really used a tampon. Today I tried and I got one in but I didn't get it far enough in and I'm not taking it out because I know it will hurt because I haven't put in long enough. Well... As of now it is working but it feels as if it is gonna slide out.. Is this bad? And would it be safe to sleep in a tampon for a small amount of time? Like four hours getting up and changing it? Because I haven't told my mom about my period yet so I've been living on pads I find around the house, and how should I tell her? Sorry. It's kinda long. Lots of questions.

Hey Cet, you should take the tampon out. For one, it doesn't sound like it's insert completely or properly and two, it feels as if it's going to slide out. I don't think you should leave it in for more than 2 hours. If you happen to fall asleep, take it out as soon as you wake up. Tell your mom girly. I'm sure she's noticed missing pads around the house. No worries, she's the best person to tell because she will help you out. Hope this helps! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by Cet on 12/28/2012 4:30:01 PM

mod mod mod mod

Hey girlie, it's absolutely not stupid! Part of the reason you're having trouble might be nerves. You just need to relax and insert it. The best way to get used to it is practice. When you keep using them they'll get more comfortable and easier to insert and use. Just take a few deep breaths and go for it.

Lauren T.

by flipper9983 on 12/9/2012 7:22:18 PM

Modmodmod
Please help!
A couple days ago at school i wiped down there and the there was blood idk
But after i got home i wiped there was no blood and the next time and the next
time but still no blood. I am 12 years old 7th grade....
I dont want to ask my mom when she started because it would be kinda awkward
my breast are really tender i have pubic hair and i have had discharge for about
2 years now! When will i start?!
Anyone who already started their period could you tell be how you felt the week before it started plz

Hey girlie, it could be spotting. Spotting is when you have a little blood here and there, usually before your period. So your period could be coming soon.

Lauren T.

by Luckyme101 on 12/9/2012 6:15:43 PM

So livlovesoccer14, using tampons is easy when you learn how. I dont know why they dont put diagrams on GL about how to properly use one but there are other places online like kotex that gives diagrams on how to put one in. Best way is to prop up one of your legs and get comfortable enough so you can insert it. The vaseline helps it go in easier and at first you may just want to use more than you need but it does get easy after a few tries.

by fashionqn on 12/3/2012 11:45:34 PM

I have no idea how to put in a tampon..and i need to start wearing one! I hate pads! And with sports they are so uncomfortable. Help please!

by livlovesoccer14 on 11/12/2012 6:14:16 PM

For five months I've had spotting and cramps at the same time of the month. I knew my period was trying to start, but wasn't here quite yet. Then, last week, when I wiped, there was blood. This was the first time that there was blood when I wiped. So I was like, "Hm. Maybe my period will finally start?" But I still only get little dots of blood on my undies, and a small amount of blood when I wiped. Then today, I had really bad cramps for about an hour (which stunk) but then I got home from school, went to the BR, and there was blood all over the toilet paper, but nothing on my undies! What is going on? Is this my first period??

Hey babe-

Sounds like it! Just keep monitoring it! xoxo

Alexis G.

by purple10115 on 11/8/2012 5:22:36 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD PLEASE ANSWER (:
My period started like an hour ago, and my dad (my mom died right after I was born)isn't home
I don't an any pads or tampons, and I've already ruined like 4'pairs of underwear. How do I get the stain out? And what am I supposed to use until my dad gets home?

Hey girlie, while you're waiting for your dad to get home you can try using toilet paper. Just shape it into a pad shape and put in your underwear as a temporary fix. If you can, call your dad and ask him to pick something up for you on his way home. As for the stains in the underwear, wash them out in the sink or bathtub with cold water and a little bit of soap. If the stains are fresh they'll come out pretty easily.

Lauren T.

by kat_13 on 11/4/2012 5:11:40 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
So the other i started my period for the first time, im using tampons, but whenever i put them in it is really uncomfortable and almost painful, did I put it in wrong? it is supposed to hurt when you first start using them? help!! thanksSmile

Hey Girl, Yes, its normal for a tampon to hurt the first time you try them. THis link might help you out:

Hannah H.

Hannah H.

by liddywitty on 11/1/2012 3:45:53 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Please help! For four months, I have gotten a sort of mini period with spotting, cramps, and the whole shebang... Just not much blood. It all happens around the same time of the month. So, it's around that time again, and for the first time today, there was blood when I wiped. Did I finally start my real period? If I didn't, how soon can I expect it? Also, I told all my best friends that I got my period last night... Now I feel guilty because what if its not? I want to tell my bestie, but I feel really guilty. Please answer my questions ASAP! Thanks!

Hey girl-

It definitely sounds like you started your period. Just monitor it over the next few days. It won't be "normal" by any means for a few months though. xoxo

Alexis G.

by purple10115 on 11/1/2012 7:57:45 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
I just started using tampons, but it hurts to take the tampon out. I've read that it's because the tampon was too high of an absorbancy, but i guess that wasn't the case because i bled through onto the pad i was wearing underneath. Can you help?

hey girl! it could just be because your bod isn't so used to it yet. give it time, and it won't hurt anymore. also, if you take it out at a weird angle that can happen. try to follow the instructions on the box, that should help!

xoxo

Katie L.

by HoopsGirl99 on 10/30/2012 4:19:22 PM

mod mod mod
How often are you supposed to get ur period (like how long does it last and how many days apart your periods are) and my first period ended yesterday, and since then my "down there" has been really itchy. I don't know why?. I tried changing the brand of soap I use.

Hey girl,

You should get your period about every 28 days, though it's normal to be irregular at first. If you're itchy and have tried a different soap, try trimming your hair and if that doesn't help I would talk to your mom or a doc to make sure you don't have a yeast infection (and if you do, they're easily treatable!).

Meghan D.

by Swift_lover123 on 10/26/2012 11:07:56 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
What is the difference between your period and spotting?

Hey girly, spotting is what you get before you get your first period or inbetween periods. It's just a tiny but of blood and just lasts maybe a day or two. Your period is a fairly steady flow of blood that can last anywhere between 3 and 8 days.

Lauren I.

by Swift_lover123 on 10/26/2012 2:14:51 AM

The best advice I can give is to insert the tampon at a diagonal angle, sort of towards your spine, if you know what I mean. That's what kept messing me up at first. Also, if you mess up once, unwrap a new one and try again in like an hour. And don't get down if you can't get it at first, just think; you're better at doing it now than a guy would be after five years of trying. ;)

by grace1089 on 10/20/2012 9:46:53 PM

MOD MOD MOD i turn 10 next week but i have white and brown stuff in my undies what is it?

You're just starting puberty! There is nothing to worry about! The white stuff is probably discharge and the brown stuff could be the beginning of your period! If you're really concerned, ask your mom or an older sister if you have one!
mailyse f.

by andra616 on 10/15/2012 4:28:45 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I'm fifteen and just got my first period at the beginning of this year. (I get this late blooming from my mom and her family) This summer, my period just happened to be the week of church girls camp, I wasn't using tampons yet and it was really heavy and bled through a lot of my shorts and while I was asleep, onto my sleeping bag. So now, I am super self conscious and way worried that at school it's going to happen again. I'm using tampons now, and have told my mom, but there's nothing she can really do to help. Is there anything to help me get over this fear?

Hey girlie, I can't think of anything right now to help you to get over your fear exactly. But you can use super tampons and wear a pad during your period so you have extra backup. That way as long as you're changing your tampon every few hours there's very little risk of bleeding through your clothes.

Lauren T.

by KKH81497 on 10/14/2012 5:17:24 PM

MODMODMOD!
A couple of weeks ago, I got my first period. But there is ONE big problem...
I don't dare to tell my mom! My plan is to wait until my next period and then tell her, but I think that I still don't dare to say it to her then! Please help!

Hey girly, getting nervous about talking to your mom is understandable, but try to remember that periods are no big deal. Your mom knows all about them and knows that you were going to get yours soon and I'm sure she's ready for it. Plus, your mom can help you with period things like pads, tampons and cramps. If your still too nervous about getting the words out, try writing her a note and putting it in her purse or someplace she'll be sure to find it. Good luck, babe. And congrats on your first period.

Lauren I.

by Moira1999 on 10/10/2012 10:15:55 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD (Lynae P ?)
Can a MOD other than Hannah H please answer my question? I really need an answer ASAP!! My question was since im at the very end of my period and im getting light brownish almost pinkish brownish, but not really discharge am i safe to go swimming without a tampon? my flow is super duper light, if anything at all, thanks! And sorry if im being impatient/rude!

Hey girlie,

I think it's safe.  You're really the best judge of your own body and its situations, so if you think you're in the clear then you probably are.  It's not like you'll be in the water for several hours straight without any way to check up on if things are going well or not.
Jordan S.

by swimmergirl14 on 10/9/2012 6:05:30 PM

when i tried to put the tampon in the private thing i kept shaking so i gave up and i was scared so wht do i do

by magskelly on 10/9/2012 5:54:34 PM

so i asked my mom how do doctors know when you will have your period she said they look at other developments
say your doctor said you will get your period at uhh 13 could you get it earlier or later

Hey babe,

Your period is generally something that you can't tell simply from looking, but your mom is correct.  Your body goes through other changes about the time when your first period may come.  It's different for every girl, but your hips tend to get wider, your breasts grow, you grow pubic hair, you experience thicker discharge or spotting, you get cramps, etc.  But when it comes down to it, it's very hard to get an exact idea of when.
Jordan S.

by Wildunicorns on 10/9/2012 5:24:30 PM

MOD MOD MOD !!
My comment was posted and it said Hannah H. answered it but theres isnt an answer!! Could a MOD please answer it? thanks!Smile

Hannah H.

by swimmergirl14 on 10/9/2012 3:47:07 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD !!!!
So im at the very end of my period, and when i go to the bathroom, there isn't any red just like light brownish (almost pinkish brown but not really) discharge. I have swim practice tonight, and don't want to use a tampon. Am i safe for practice or am i still having my period? Help! Thanks!

Hannah H.

by swimmergirl14 on 10/9/2012 3:10:37 PM

MODMODMOD!
A couple of weeks ago, I got my first period. But there is ONE big problem...

Hannah H.

by Moira1999 on 10/9/2012 12:35:37 PM

So many of people who dont use them dont know even know how to put them in and there is a lot of wrong information about them, especially from friends.

I think more of my friends know how to put a condom on a guy than even know how to use a tampon themselves, and we should be knowledgeable about both. For some activities they are a must and the only way to go!!

by fashionqn on 10/8/2012 4:44:31 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
I haven't gotten my period yet, but I'm only 12. My mom said that she got her period in the beginning of 8th grade. I just started 7th grade. I have whitish-yellow discharge regularly, but otherwise no other symptoms of getting my period soon. Am I definitely going to get it next year?? Thanks!

Hey girlie, there's no definite. But you're likely to get it around the same time as your mom. It's always good to be prepared just in case though.

Lauren T.

by parisgirl101 on 10/7/2012 8:57:19 PM

what shape am i?
im a 36A and size 8 jeans (junior) and a medium waist and im quite short
short enough for petite
but i have bigger legs and when i stand up straight my tummy is quite flat

Hey girlie, it's hard for me to tell from that description. But if you google body shapes you can find images that will help you determine what shape you are. I would guess at hourglass, but you can double check that to be sure!

Lauren T.

by lotsaluv101 on 10/7/2012 8:44:02 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
I got my period last August (2011). For about 3 months, my period was like clockwork, but recently it's been every other month. Also, if I don't take Ibuprofen, I get cramps almost every day. Is this normal?
Thanks! Smile

Hey girlie, it's usually normal for you period to be irregular for up to a year. But since you've had yours for over a year you might want to talk to your doctor about what you can do to make it more regular. You can also talk to your doctor about the cramps. Cramps are normal and vary in intensity for different girls, but you can take things to lessen the pain.

Lauren T.

by lpolk on 10/7/2012 5:24:29 PM

MODMODMODMOD!!!
so I get back cramps in lower back the first or second week each month. Then 1or2 weeks later I get spotting. Idk if its my period but it's brown discharge. I started it 2will months ago and its getting regular. Is that normal??

Hey girl,

That doesn't sound like it's your period, but I'm not an expert, so I would talk to your mom or a doc to be sure!

Meghan D.

by YayaYuiki on 10/7/2012 12:54:24 AM

I actually started using tampons recently and I swear people mean it when they say it's nothing to be scared of. Actually, they're really great and comfortable.

by ohheyitsjennyy on 10/6/2012 10:25:54 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD (Lauren I)
If you're not Lauren I, here's the lowdown... I've been spotting and cramps every month for three months now, and they have all lasted 4-5 days. It's so light that I don't even have to use a panty liner, but is it still my period? And if its not, when is my full period supposed to come. Grrrr, I'm so frustrated because I wish it would come already and stop being so dramatic (my period). Please help me! The other mod says it should last at least three days, and these last 4-5. What do you think, and when is my full period supposed to come? 4 months after first spotting?I really need some help!

Hey girl,

That sounds like it's not a full period, but I'm not sure! I would talk to your mom or a doc to see what's up. Your period will come when it's ready, though, so there's no need to worry Smile

Meghan D.

by purple10115 on 10/5/2012 5:20:43 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!
I've had what I think is my period for three months now. Every month I get cramps and blood, but its always such a small amount. I don't really know how much blood is a period. I think it's my period because it always happens at the same time every month and I get cramps and everything. Is it normal for it to be so light that I'm not sure if its my period or spotting? Also, I'm a competitive swimmer and I'm 14, so is my swimming making my period or whatever light? Please, I really need some clarification on whether this is my period or not. It's so light I don't even have to wear a panty liner! Grrrrr, so frustrated, please help! I wish it would just get heavy or something already!

Hey girly, I'm not doctor, so for the best info you should definetly talk to yours. In general, a period so light that you don't need to use a liner is unusual. A period needs to be heavier to do its job and it will usually last at least 3 days. But in my opinion, since you get cramps and blood the same time each month, it sounds like this might be your body gearing up for a full period. When you first get your period, it can be really light or irregular or do all sorts of funny things. As you get a little older, your period should get heavier. If your a healthy weight and eating properly, your swimming shouldn't affect your period. But like I said, I'm no doc so if your worried talk to your doctor. She's there to listen! Or don't be scared to mention it to your mom.

Lauren I.

by purple10115 on 10/5/2012 7:12:49 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
i've been having my period for a year now, its really heavy and runny... im not supposed to tell anyone this, but im on birth control pills because its so heavy, and just last month it lasted 2 weeks ON birth control pills. is that normal?!?!i also still get vaginal discharge. is that normal??? I'm REALLY REALLY scared to use a tampon because the last 3 times i tried (it was to go swimming)it hurt SOOO BAD to the point where i cried and it only made me bleed more. HELP PLEASE!!!!

Hey girly, sorry to hear about your period troubles. It is perfectly normal to still get discharge after you get your period. Getting your period for two weeks is a little unusual, Generally it should be anywhere between 3-8 days. Though, you just went on BC, and that can cause your period to do weird things at first. Give your body another month or two to get used to the change and your period should become less heavy and shorter.  Tampons definetley take some getting used to, but you don't need to use them if you don't want to.There are pads for heavy periods that you can use.  I recommend Always Infinity - they're more comfortable than most other pads i've tried.  Also, I'm no doc so don't be afraid to talk to yours. That's what she's there for!

Lauren I.

by lilja on 10/5/2012 7:03:39 AM

eewwwww!!!! I could never stick my finger "up there" that's gross. I hope the string never comes off while I'm wearing a tampon!!!!

by taylorswiftlover101 on 10/4/2012 11:35:00 PM

Tampons scare me too! They seem like they would hurt if you put it up there. I haven't had my period yet so I don't have to worry yet.

by YouCanCallMeCat on 10/4/2012 5:19:39 PM

is it normal to feel wird when walking with a tampon inside you proprly

by purplegirl1753 on 10/4/2012 4:59:39 PM

The strings can come off? Ok, now im really scared lol.

by baileymoose on 10/4/2012 1:28:37 PM