3 HOURS AGO What to do when you have a cyber crush: http://t.co/WYtcyoAlTG

3 HOURS AGO RT @BronteASpida: Had so much fun 2Day best day of my summer @girlslifemag #FashionBash2014

6 HOURS AGO What kind of guy should you go for? Take the quiz to find out: http://t.co/OHtk0RLtVR

COMMENTS

Bye-bye, Big Bird? PBS funding under fire

Much has been made of this past week’s first presidential debate: President Obama’s perceived poor performance, Jim Lehrer’s mediocre moderating and Mitt Romney’s surprisingly strong showing. But...

gobama!

by ashbabe567765 on 11/6/2012 8:48:15 PM

@deddles1621,

number one:abortion is NOT killing babies! at the stagewhere most abortions take place, the embryo is just a totally unconsious bundle of sex cells! a bundle of sex cells is not the same as a baby!

number two:what about the 1 in 133,000 females that do get pregnant from rape? some of these girls are preteens like me! would you like to go to your middle school one day(or visit your old middle school, i don't know how old you are)and see some 7th grader pregnant? this will impact their lives! the girl probrably does not want to be pregnant! and she probrably doesn't want to go through childbirth, wich is nesasary for the baby to be adopted! the girl would rather get her bundle of sex cells removed quickly and quietly than to go through 9 months of pregnancy and then go through childbirth!it's just unfair. all women have the right to choose, the government should not be the masters of someone's own body

by ashbabe567765 on 11/6/2012 8:46:40 PM

Oh come on! People are way too worked up over this! So what? PBS and NPR are funded by federal taxes, and not everyone uses these services. Not fair. The stations can just do advertisements like the rest of the television world! Would it ruin them? No! The rest of the world is functioning just fine like this; why can't they?

by CatFeather2017 on 10/23/2012 7:03:32 PM

Im sorry, how is this considered advice? Im here for advice, not whether or not abortion is legal or what puppets should be televised.

by lilitzygurl:) on 10/21/2012 12:18:27 AM

Your point? It's a million times more messed up to make a veggie monster (i love cookie monster and i am not close to obese) than it is to take big bird. Oh, well, I personally don't care, but I don't get why Jim Henson's gotta get so much crap from politics. I'm not an antifederalist in ajy way, but one day, I ask, can my life not be flooded by all of this political mud slinging here?

by lilitzygurl:) on 10/21/2012 12:02:17 AM

Deedles123,

Yes, I know how it works. I agree that you should not be taxed if it is not your beliefs but I don't believe you should be trying to control other people's rights. You are only being taxed if the woman can not afford the procedure. Most of these procedures are from women living in relatively upper class households. If you are against it, Fine. Don't have one. But it is not, nor ever will be your decision to tell these women what they can and cannot do. You don't even know them. Do you know how many women are in this country? More than 150,000,000. That ratio you had is not as small as you think. Get your facts right.

by Lioncub190 on 10/16/2012 4:30:30 PM

Deedles123,
Yes, I know how an works. I agree that you should not be taxed if it is not your beliefs but I don't believe you should be trying to control other people's rights. You are only being taxed if the woman can not afford the procedure. Most  are from women living in relatively upper class households. If you are against  Fine. Don't have one. But it is not, nor ever will be your decision to tell these women what they can and cannot do. You don't even know them. Do you know how many women are in this country? More than 150,000,000.

Hannah H.

by Lioncub190 on 10/16/2012 4:15:10 PM

Just because he might cut funding for PBS doesn't mean Sesame Street is gone, it just means they need to find a new channel. Calm down.

by lemondancer18 on 10/16/2012 4:01:43 PM

OK stop calling the president of the united states nObama. I honestly cannot think of a stupider more uneducated rednecky term. But go ahead, "anybody but the black guy". Jerk.

by peetaluvr989 on 10/9/2012 9:07:06 PM

Who cares if they cut PBS...I think the government has better things to put money towards. Its just a program, not the end of the world. TV programs get cut all the time. Romney 2012.

by Chloe<3 on 10/9/2012 4:29:46 PM

Wow. Just reading these comments show that some people really have no clue what they're talking about and really need to get their facts straight. I agree with fungirl123.

by taylorswiftfan1236 on 10/9/2012 3:57:22 PM

I watched PBS as a kid but if getting rid of it will bring back money to the US; bye bye big bird. xoxo

by Rosethe1 on 10/9/2012 9:07:40 AM

I never liked Big Bird, so bye bye Big Bird.

by fashionqn on 10/8/2012 1:52:35 PM

PBS wont b gone forever, it will just need to find another way to stay on without government funding! I agree with lots of you other girls: no big bird or no jobs and money for your family.... hmm tough decision... I vote no big bird

by ponygirl6298 on 10/8/2012 12:34:13 PM

deedles1621,

It’s not Romney’s choice to choose weather a woman can have an abortion. It’s the woman’s choice. A lot of women or impacted by being sexually harassed and being raped. It Prochoice and It’s the parents decision weather their ready to be pregnant and go through labor! Also if the probability of actually getting pregnant from a rape is 1 person for every 133,000 rapes( which I doubt is a correct statistic) That's still A LOT of people that get pregnant/affected from being raped.

by rosesong on 10/8/2012 9:17:33 AM

I think Reading Rainbow is a very important show. It really helped me like reading, and the man who was on it was very kind and wholesome. He met my brother when he was young and was very nice and supportive of him and his individuality. I look up to him and the shows on PBS, for they have helped me learn and grow. Of course, I'm just a 15-year-old girl, and I understand if certain cuts need to be made, whether I like or understand them of not.

by HowToLove on 10/8/2012 8:56:22 AM

@DEEDLES1621 Do you know how hard it can be to let go of a baby you just gave birth to? Adoption is a really hard and long process. And a girl that is pregnant wasn't necesaraly "knocked up". Birth control can fail.

by txtingirl on 10/8/2012 8:41:45 AM

i honestly think people are making WAY to big of a deal out of this. i mean people its big bird for crying out loud! romney was just joking around about an oversized duck!

by jesusluverjkm on 10/8/2012 12:25:14 AM

txtingirl-Oh, I wasn't offended and I hope you weren't either Smile! I see. Well, I don't really agree but that doesn't mean I'm calling you wrong. We're all entitled to our own options and yours and mine are just different :3

by iluvmusic♥ on 10/7/2012 11:57:44 PM

@Lioncub190 and @rosesong:
financial problems really? then u put the baby up for ADOPTION!do u even kno how an abortion works? Its ridiculous the fact tht it comes out of the American peoples taxes to pay to abort a baby cause a girl got knocked up and dont want to deal with the consequences. and the probability of actually getting pregnant from a rape is 1 person for every 133,000 rapes. And @fungirl123 has it right on the money. Get ur facts right.

by deedles1621 on 10/7/2012 11:34:11 PM

@Lioncub190 and @rosesong:

by deedles1621 on 10/7/2012 11:34:03 PM

obama

by aki2000 on 10/7/2012 10:34:40 PM

Hey girls! Looking for advice on school and friends? Need someone to listen to you vent? I'm here! If you want advice or just someone to listen to you, feel free to post a comment to my profile or visit my Advice Queen page! Have a great day Laughing

by ohheyitsjennyy on 10/7/2012 9:54:00 PM

Why on earth is "Election 2012" an Advice section? For crying out loud, this is Girls Life. Not a website for persuading teens who can't even vote to pick nObama or Romney. This is ridiculous. In English class we have to research and debate on Romney and nObama. It's lame! It's not Economic, Government, or Social Problems class. It's just wrong. Getting kids worked up over nothing. Yes, it will affect us when we're in our 20s and 30s, but we're still kids. We should be able to run around and play and not worry about having to write reports on political liars!

by alindgren on 10/7/2012 9:20:19 PM

Obama 2012!

by Vivienne on 10/7/2012 9:15:34 PM

Wow...adults always say that kids watch inappropiate shows and that they are a bad influence, and then they cut funding on one of the only entertaining, "clean" shows. Fist "veggie" monster (stupidiest thing EVER!) and now the big yellow lovable bird...TV just gets worse and worse

by smerb13 on 10/7/2012 9:13:41 PM

@deedles1621,

People who are Pro-Choice don't believe in KILLING babies. They believe that women are allowed to do whatever they want with their bodies. There are many situations for these women to cause them to abort the fetus (rape, financial problems, not ready for being a mother, etc). They don't just abort the baby for their own enjoyment. People who are Pro-Choice don't want to abort every baby they came across. They believe that women deserve to have the choice. It's not Pro-Death, it's Pro CHOICE.

by Lioncub190 on 10/7/2012 9:00:07 PM

its so stupid, especially considering PBS's funding is only a TINY percent of federal spending, and NO ONE is goiing to be in support of cutting PBS. it has quality educational programming for kids and adults alike, and shows that everyone loves...like Sesame Street.

Obama is a much better choice than Romney. Ok, so Obama wasn't able to fix decades of debt and economic dysfunction within a four year span. Most people don't know when to use 'your' or 'you're' after ten years of school. Plus, its a lot harder to fix the economy when everything you do has to be approved by a huge group of people, especially when you consider that quite a few of those people were Republicans and didnt support Obama.

Basically Obama wasnt able to live up to lots of people's expectations during his time as president, so now they're giving up on him and voting for Willard, who lacks common sense (uh, airplane windows?) and has NO good idas that will benefit the country.

by gengen98 on 10/7/2012 8:30:24 PM

deedles1621,
He’s not supporting killing babies he’s supporting women that were raped and aren’t financially stabile!

by rosesong on 10/7/2012 8:18:15 PM

If Romney gets elected president he may not raise taxes for middle class but he IS going to give tax cuts to all the rich Billionaires which means that he is favoring them. Romney Also said that 47% of the people he dosent even care about.
*OBAMA* <3

by rosesong on 10/7/2012 8:11:32 PM

to all the people votin for Obama all I have to say is.. Don't worry the governments gonna take care of u. and to all those whose say womans health rights.. I so glad ur totally supporting KILLING babies! good for u!

by deedles1621 on 10/7/2012 7:27:01 PM

@iluvmusic sorry about the school lunches thing, i can only base that one off what my friends have told me about their school lunches- i go to a really small private school that doesn't serve lunch. I didn't say this was bush's fault, but a lot of the choices that bush made were not choices president obama would make so he is trying to "fix" those, but people think president obama hasn't done anything, but in reality a lot has changed. sorry if I offended anyone!

by txtingirl on 10/7/2012 6:42:48 PM

When I was young, I lover Sesame Street. I'm sorry to all the little kids when they find out that its cancelled.

by pinkhplover12 on 10/7/2012 6:39:34 PM

I'm sorry, but SOME people in this comment section need to do more research. STOP basing all your opinions on Romney off what your parents say and what the commercials say
-He's not cutting off planned parenthood; he's making abortions less available unless in cases of rape and incest.
-He's NOT raising taxes for middle-class families
-He DOESN'T favor millionaires.

We can educate our children without educational TV shows. Smile Mitt Romney only wants the cut to PBS, etc to help our nations debt, which Obama has only made worse in the past few years.

by fungirl123 on 10/7/2012 6:11:20 PM

HEY! so how do i view my club that i made and how do u comment on you/other clubs?

Hey girlie, you can view clubs by accessing them through your profile and comment on them the same way you would another profile. You can find answers to any other club related questions you might have at http://www.girlslife.com/page/rules-of-the-road-clubs.aspx

Lauren T.

by Carrie_Underwood on 10/7/2012 6:06:40 PM

txtingirl-Not trying to mean or anything, but school lunches are actually much more unhealthier because everyone is still hungry and when you're still hungry but not eating anything, your body starts storing every little bit of food you eat causing obesity. So, they are actually worse. And to be quite honest, I don't think this is any of Bush's fault at all.

by iluvmusic♥ on 10/7/2012 5:43:29 PM

I really hope Obama gets re elected! Its not just cutting public broadcasting funding, its taking away womens health rights, the freedom to love who you want and making it harder for middle class families! I know, president obama has done some things some of us don't agree with, but he ended the war in iraq! Made school lunches healthier! He is just stuck with cleaning up former president George Bush's mess...... OBAMA 2012! CHANGE * HOPE

by txtingirl on 10/7/2012 5:23:07 PM

i honestly don't think he will do away with PBS, but it does cost money. if its funded by states it will cost a lot less money. he was using it as an example and is kinda right. lousing a couple tv shows vs. losing a couple million dollars that could support it in the future? i don't like the thought just as much as the next girl, but think about the big picture. i love big bird and so does my little cousin, and id hate to make her sad but there are other problems.

by celia<3 on 10/7/2012 12:58:37 PM

My family listens to NPR......and I love sesame street!

by iRead on 10/7/2012 12:57:56 PM

It's not because Romney is attacking kid shows, it's just because something has to give. We can't be spending millions of dollars on something that makes no profit. It doesn't make sense economically.

by zwinky on 10/7/2012 12:45:57 PM

Go ahead, cut Sesame Street. I will always have The Muppets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE FOZZIE BEAR WOCKA WOCKA

by piggy99 on 10/7/2012 12:23:22 PM

DON'T THEY DARE TAKE MY BIG BUDDY AWAY! i grew up learning from big bird and when I was little I wanted to grow up to be just like him!!!!! now that i know about this, I wanna stand up for my yellow friend here just like i did for cookie monster when he almost changed into veggie monster (thank goodness that was just a rumor!!!!) SAVE BIG BIRD!!! i love you more than life itself! hope you can stay!!!!!! bad, mitt romney, BAD!!!

by savlove123 on 10/7/2012 11:26:46 AM

I agree with Mitt Romney. They aren't going to be in danger of leaving just because they don't get help anymore. They get millions of dollars just in merchandise. I'm pretty sure they'll be alright.

by iluvmusic♥ on 10/7/2012 10:59:08 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD!
Can you please start posting more Blush Muches? Thx!

Glad you like them so much! Xoxo

Lynae P.

by WinnieGirlie on 10/7/2012 10:58:22 AM

LONG LIVE BIG BIRD!!!!!!
NO ONE SHOULD STEAL AWAY KIDS TV SHOWS!!!!!!
KIDS (and most teens) LOVE THE SESAME STREET CREW AND WON'T EASILY SAY GOODBYE!!!!!

YAY SESAME STREET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by silverroseart on 10/7/2012 10:39:37 AM

I loved PBS kids when I was growing up! PBS kids programs made up what I watched up until I was like six. These educational programs and everything- they encouraged me to love learning. Now I'm a straight A student. I'm not saying anything against Romney as a whole. Instead, I'm saying something against that particular comment. Sesame Street was a favorite of mine. Why take it away when the future children could enjoy it? Why take away any PBS kids shows when the future children could enjoy it?

by tropicdog on 10/7/2012 10:05:00 AM

@YayaYuiki You're complaining because he took down a clip of a cartoon? THAT'S your reason? Wow, I love the Simpsons, there goes my vote for Obama. Seriously. SERIOUSLY. And, kids being home schooled is a BAD thing? You'd rather have less jobs for Americans because they don't know basic middle school education? That's bad for the person who can not get a job and has to constantly get food stamps and take out loans and RUIN our economy, all because of education? Well, it's not there fault that they cannot afford it so home schooling is great! And school lunches should be unhealthy making kids obese? Your points have no logic behind them so I'd recommend you think before you speak. Oh and also, is it Obama's fault that a child, sadly, got hit by a boulder?! No, thank you for reading this, but you have not persuaded me to become a republican.

by xxnycbeauty on 10/7/2012 9:36:06 AM

I think its hilarious how a few of you think you know everything about this topic... anyways, cutting PBS is just going to cause an uproar. It's not like its going to make an impressive dent in the debt. .0006 percent of the federal budget is like a fly landing on a table. Do you see a dent? Yeah, neither do I. Oh, and malgal22: this aritcle is NOT influencing people AT ALL. They are simply reporting what is going on in our country and what everyone is talking about. I mean this nicely when I say YOUR comment was the only thing obcene here. If someone wants to change their opinion after this artical, ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Okay, im done.

by sinkinginblack on 10/7/2012 9:18:03 AM

He was only trying to make a point. In all honesty, I don't like either canidates. I there are pros and cons to both of them and they balance out among how we see it. If I had to choose I would choose Romney because he has better ideas than Obama has. It is also the fact that four years ago Obama said he was going to cut the national debt in half but ended up doubling it. Also, Obama is taking credit for work that other people do. He says that HE killed Osama bin Laden and also said he'd being home ALL the troops. No, the Navy S.E.A.L.s killed him and there are still troops over seas. In all, I hate this generation. People get worked up over something then forget about it in a matter of weeks (Kony 2012, anyone?) We should all move to France. :p

by lemondancer18 on 10/7/2012 9:02:55 AM

To all of you that are hating on Girls Life for this article, think about this. Sesame Street was created with the purpose of giving underprivileged children who watched TV all day until kindergarten instead of going to preschool, the fundamentals that would help them in school. If Romney thinks cutting this would be beneficial in cutting the defect, he's wrong. PBS encouraged me to love learning, as it did for my best friends. Now we are all straight A students. PBS helps children want to be educated. an educated America is a better America.

by peetaluvr989 on 10/7/2012 8:59:18 AM

I'm not american, lol!

by ColosalMascara on 10/7/2012 8:52:33 AM

I am SO happy I'm not old enough to vote.

by ising990 on 10/7/2012 8:51:58 AM

I think it is perfectly fine. Why don't we compare? Bigbird and then our country's finacial instability.Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Which is more importatant to you? I think we can cut out a tiny bit out of our programs don't you? GL, I think you had every right to post this. A little debate won't hurt us.

Besides, I never really liked Bigbird.

by luvleylady13 on 10/7/2012 8:43:00 AM

so im guessing most of us of here are atleast 10 and up. most of us teenagers. come on. i know you guys have watched it when you are kids but do you really watch it now? its a tv show. all shows have to end sometime. theres other ways to watch it you know. and china practically owns us how can you be all mad about a tv show ru kidding? tv isnt important! for all we know we can end up working for china if we dont stop borrowing from them! we owe them over a trillion dollars!! yeah thats ALOT of money!! theres too many people without jobs right now and some people cant afford houses and you have the nerve to fight for a tv show that you dont even watch? thats just not right. you are lucky you have a house and a computer. some people have to look in garbages for food! some people are so ungrateful

by caseycat16 on 10/7/2012 8:39:57 AM

I don't mean to be rude, but this was asking for an arguement (Most of us cant vote... so why??)

by hcl1610 on 10/7/2012 8:17:05 AM

Why is everyone so obsessed with the song "Gangnam style" I'm so confused!!!!

Hey snagmoney, not sure girly lol. Guess it's just one of those trends everyone gets hooked on. Xoxo

Lynae P.

by snagmonkey on 10/7/2012 1:36:53 AM

Lets see... if Obama is re-elected we'll all work in China. If you've seen the YouTube video by FOX Homer Simpson is voting and votes for Obama and he ends up working in a factory. Guess what our "oh so great president" did? He deleted it! Ugh! Michelle Obama made a thing for a certain amount of calories per grade for school lunch, 500 for k-5, 600 for 6-8, and 700 for 9-12. The no child left behind program is making 60% of students be homeschooled on k12 or by parents. People say Republicans hate local programming we DON'T! Romney cutting it will cause riots/protests like for MTR (mountaintop removal) it happened right after Obama became president cause 1 kid got hit by a BOULDER going into the school and he lost his leg. NEVER FORGET WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO PROTEST!!!!

by YayaYuiki on 10/7/2012 12:45:12 AM

He also said, "Poor boy, excuse me low income..." That was so rude. Just saying. We should all just move to London. It seems so simple there.

by Kittylover_98 on 10/7/2012 12:16:58 AM

This is the most offensive and inappropriate article I have EVER read. Girls Life, you ought to be ASHAMED of yourselves. This absolutely disgusts me. You have lost my subscription all together. Honestly? Most of the girls that read this magazine are not even voting age. How dare you. It's your own business who you vote for, but influencing young girls on your own opinions, this article you've written is so left sided, this is obscene.

by malgal22 on 10/6/2012 11:51:49 PM

Well, although national public broadcasting can seem important, sometimes as a nation we have to make decisions. Would you rather cut funding for PBS or have your parents lose their jobs due to a failing economy? And, no, the broadcasting and radio aren't the only things to be cut. Other unnecessary programs will receive cuts in order to decrease the deficit. So put it into perspective before you get angry about it.

by Fly1213 on 10/6/2012 10:24:47 PM

Romney just lost ur vote? Enjoy ur Chinese funded Big Bird show! China owns us anyway!

by deedles1621 on 10/6/2012 10:12:24 PM

PBS kids is my childhood.. I was mad when the cookie monster was change into the vegy monster by Michelle Obama.. now mitt Romney wanting to get rid of these Chanel is unfair!!!! That funding is so small it wouldn't even make a difference if you cut it!!! If he think if he getting rid of it is gonna be a good thing.. its not going to be.. there gonna be a big chain reactions gonna happen if he does.. & will be hurting even more and more in debt then we are now!

by RubySparkle on 10/6/2012 10:04:01 PM

I'm NEVER going to let anyone do any to my Biggie Bird!! *pouts*
It's probably not gonna happen, but really, I'm being Big Bird for Hallowe'en! I don't wanna be a dead bird!!

by taylor_swift_luvr13 on 10/6/2012 9:55:30 PM

Sesame street is one of the few good kids TV shows on. How could they cut funding for it? And yes, I did learn things on it.

by ceahorse on 10/6/2012 9:33:51 PM

Romney just lost my vote (not that I'm even old enough)
Smile

by AlwaysDreamer on 10/6/2012 9:07:42 PM

I think the Big Bird brouhaha has reason to be a big deal; PBS kids was my childhood, I was literally not allowed to watch anything else for a long time, and to just cut the funds for something so insignificant is pointless and, frankly, stupid.

by otter77 on 10/6/2012 9:06:36 PM