7 HOURS AGO Oh no! Some of our fav couples split this week! Find out who: http://t.co/9VE5tNEShu

11 HOURS AGO August week 4 giveaways! Do you see your name? http://t.co/SudLdgIsd5

12 HOURS AGO What you really should know about braces: http://t.co/GgkBW8UVK1

COMMENTS

Rule your school! 8 steps to self confidence

Your teacher is calling on people at random, that cutie might actually be looking in your direction and you already got the last three problems wrong. Don’t...

MOD MOD MOD!!!!
I remarry need help. The end of the year dance is coming up and I want to ask my crush. I'm really nervous he might say no. Then as 8th graders, we have to walk down the "blue carpet" and answer a couple of questions. I already get nervous just reading in class out loud, much less answering questions in front of the WHOLE middle school. I'm sooo scared. Please help me through this!

Hey kct1999, well remember a no is just a word. If he does reject you, it won't be the end of the world. So keep that in mind as you work on being confident in approaching him. For walking down the blue carpet, you won't be the only one. Think of all your classmates who will be in front and behind you. Did you ever think they'd be nervous? Who are some of your favorite celebrities? Xoxo Smile

Lynae P.

by kct1999 on 4/16/2013 8:31:56 PM

Ok, my reading teacher always call out people so we can say what we read. Every time she calls on me I get scared because my crush is in that class. So I tried to dress to success. Also I go over my work because I don't want to look dumb in front of him.

by Lilmizzswager on 4/14/2013 10:23:33 PM

There are some students in my classes that talk a lot and during school. One of my teachers uses me as an example and points out how Im not talking and tells the other kids how well behaved I am and it can be really embarassing.

by Kara02 on 3/27/2013 11:07:00 PM

I set a goal for myself this year to make a lot of new friends at school. Ive been talking to some new people but I havent made any real friends this year. Im also a little shy at school and I dont know how to just start talking to people. Ive tried asking questions and starting conversations in class but then I dont know how become real friends with someone. How can I do it?

by Kara02 on 3/27/2013 11:02:05 PM

The dress for success thing really does work. When I'm wearing one of my favorite outfits, I find myself skipping around class and i feel like i can do anything.

by goldforever on 3/18/2013 5:28:51 PM

Ok so I have had a crush on this guy since the end of last school year, and I'm afraid that I will do something really stupid in front of him and he will think that I'm weird. And I'm pretty sure that he already thinks I'm weird. How in his eyes could I be "un-weirdified"?

by a_brickr21 on 2/14/2013 11:07:35 PM

Hey im really shy in class sometimes when it comes to answering questions and i dont know what to do ive tried doing a lot of things and it didnt work can you help me plz

Hey girlie,

If you have trouble participating in class discussions, maybe you could think of a few things you want to say in class the night before and have them ready. And don't worry about getting an answer wrong--you're there to learn! What's important is that you try and pay attention, and your teacher will notice your effort. If you're still feeling shy, you could talk to your teacher after class and ask how you could participate more.
Meghan D.

by alliyah11 on 1/28/2013 4:57:26 PM

MOD MOD
Hey, so I started high school this year, i go to an all girl school (theres an all boys school across the street) and its fine, but I don't really feel very happy. I have some really close friends from grade school, but I feel like I need to make more friends. I'm very talkative with my group of friends, but when it comes to others, I'm shy and I don't like to draw attention to myself. I play basketball and I made friends there, and in my classes I've made friends, but there are so many people out there, and I feel like I'm missing out. But whenever I try to talk to new people I feel like they don't care much, or don't really want to be my friend. And I'm constantly worried about what others think of me. Do you have any advice on how to make more friends, or how to stop caring so much about what others think of me, and just talk to people? I would really appreciate help, thanks in advance!

Hey girlie,

It's great that you've gotten to know some new friends in your classes and basketball! Having a group of friends that you're close with is more important than knowing everyone at your school! You don't have to try to get to know everyone--if some people don't have the same interests as you and don't want to talk to you, they're not worth your time and worrying about, so focus on getting to know the girls you connect with better instead of trying to please everyone! You will be much happier and find closer relationships with the girls who care about you Smile

Meghan D.

by ibleedblue on 1/19/2013 11:19:51 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
My family isn't doing very well. We can't afford to buy extravagances like new clothes. Pretty much all the clothes I have in my closet are t-shirts and sweatpants. And when I go to a thrift store to get new stuff, nothing fits. How can I make myself look less like a slob in the clothes I have?

Hey girl,

Experiment with all the things in your closet, make a day of it! Try belting tees or rolling pant legs-- layering different pieces to create a different look. You probably have a ton of different outfits just sitting in your closet waiting for you to discover them! xoxo

Alexis G.

by hbmsbraceface on 1/17/2013 3:55:34 PM

MOD! MOD! MOD!
I just started college last September and I'm REALLY lonely. I missed out on a lot of opportunities to meet people during the first few months because I am a theatre major and was always in rehearsals for my fall production. I feel that I have very few friends here but I am also really shy and have a hard time making friends because I feel super nervous and anxious around people I don't know. I am tired of spending time alone in my room but I don't know what to do to fix this! Help!

Hey girlie, join organizations! Your school will probably have a spring organization fair that you can go to to learn more about different organizations on campus and how you can get involved. If not, look at organizations on your school's website and e-mail the presidents of organizations you're interested in to ask about getting involved. It's a great way to meet new people and get out of your room!

Lauren T.

by crazytheaterchica on 1/13/2013 5:06:16 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
Ok so in pe we are learning dance all different kinds but right now we are learning a partner dance with a girl and a guy and we have to stand really close like toe to toe like ballroom almost and like if you trip you can literally end up kissing cuz ur so close so this is going to sound stupid but how can I be ready to I don't embarrass myself like so I don't smell bad or trip and stuff?

Hey girlie,

The good news is that everyone else in your class is probably just as nervous as you are, so try to relax! I would just make sure you wear deodorant and brush your teeth or eat a breath mint beforehand, and you should be fine. And tripping is totally normal since you are just learning the dance--I'm sure plenty of people will fall over the course of the class! Just have fun and go with it Smile You'll be fine, so try to have fun!

Meghan D.

by OMG GUESS WHAT on 1/12/2013 10:59:42 PM

MOD MOD MOD! I'm really really talkative around my best friends, but around everyone else I'm kind of shy. I don't understand why - I guess I just never know what to talk about and don't want to say something really stupid?? Around my friends I can say something extremely stupid or awkward and that's like why they love me (that's what they tell me haha). And I sit next to this guy in math, who's in a bunch of my classes, and we talk a little but mostly about math. He's in my homebase and I wanna talk to him more cause I kind of like him like him but I don't know what to talk about! He's not a jerk, he's really sweet and nice and funny. But what do I talk about with him without being EXTREMELY awkward and weird (like I always am around my friends)? I already talk about school with him & I have his number, but I don't really know what to talk about. If it helps, he plays lax & guitar, but I think it'd be weird to bring that up. please help me!! Thank you!

hey! think about it this way, you want this guy to be your friend right? If you can't talk to him the same way you talk to friends then is he really worth your time? be yourself. If he can't appreciate that you'll move on, trust me Smile try talking to him about current events or school or ask him about his interests. good luck!

Helen S.

by thatsnotawkward on 1/12/2013 11:38:32 AM

MODMODMODMODMODMODMOD!!!!!
today in Guided Math (we're separated by our levels in math im in advanced) my teacher told me id be moved to a lower level if i cant focus more!!!! how can i focus? I really like math but i need tips on how to focus more!!!!

hey! every minute, try stopping to make a note of what your teacher is saying. It will help you keep track of the clss better. good luck!

Helen S.

by YayaYuiki on 1/10/2013 6:46:37 PM

Mod!Mod!Mod! help! I am really unconfident when I walk and even walk with my feet outwards, which was a habit I started in elementary school. What should I do to be more confident when walking and fix my bad habit?

Hey Girl, keeping your head up and shoulders back/ back straight makes you appear more confident. About the walking habit, im not sure what to tell you. Proper shoes with support might help like sneakers. When I want to keep confident i wear my favorite pair of boots

Hannah h,

Hannah H.

by 8322849 on 1/10/2013 4:32:07 PM

Mod Mod Mod My school's snoball dance is coming up. It is on February 9th so I need to go dress shopping soon. Do you think it matters what color dress I get? Since it is a winter dance I wasn't sure if there were certain colors I shouldn't wear. Thanks Mod!

Hey Chica, it def doesn't matter what color you wear. Black is very formal winter color, very classy, but you could go pink and red for valentine's day, and white is snowball themed. I always go with whatever looks best on.

Hannah H.

Hannah H.

by 15hayhay on 1/10/2013 4:29:42 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!
Yesterday my mom went to buy some clothes. She bought me these boots i don't like and I want to tell her. I know she will be mad.. But what should I say?

Hey girl,

Just tell her that you appreciate the fact that she bought you the boots, but they aren't really your style. If you let her know that you really do appreciate the thought then she might not be as mad as you think she'll be. xoxo

Alexis G.

by LovinPiee on 1/10/2013 5:08:56 AM

I just wanted to say thanks to all the helpful mods and staff at GL. You guys rock! I have so many questions I would feel weird about asking anyone else... But you have all the right answers. I wanna subscribe to your magazine soon so I get it right to my inbox. Just wanted to say thanks. You are awesome people! <3 Smile

L.

by neonroxursox on 1/9/2013 10:32:09 PM

This is super true. Once i started believeing I could do it and did everything I could to make myself feel better, it really worked. I used to be failing math and now i can do it better than the smartest person in my class! Thanks girls life, i love you please dont ever sink as low as all those other magazines!

by hottie1250 on 1/9/2013 8:40:11 PM

MOD MOD MOD!!!
Everybody makes fun of me in P.E. class! I am horrible at team sports like basketball,volleyball,soccer. I am athletic (dance, horseback riding,swimming) but I totally stink at other sports! Today in gym we were playing basketball and I didn't know the ball was out so I ran and pushed past a whole bunch of people, grabbed the ball and passed it to one of the popular guys in my class. (yea we have a guy/girl class and it sucks) he just stared at me and started laughing. Everyone was staring at me and smiling. It was so embarrassing. They bug me and never choose me to be on their teams. When the teacher puts me on a team they all roll their eyes and groan. They are so mean! I try my best but I don't enjoy the sports so its not like I play them outside of school! Its gotten so bad that I don't even really participate or try anymore! What do I do?

Hey girlie, there's not a whole you can do to get better so maybe just hang back instead. Instead of making the effort to get the ball out of bounds, try to stay out of the way instead. It'll be easier for you and your team.

Lauren T.

by cupcakecutie325 on 1/9/2013 8:40:10 PM

Mod Mod Mod!!!
There is this guy I like,but he is really popular. I am really shy and I have no idea how to get to know him better. If I start talking to me he'll think I am weird because I dont usually talk in class just with my friends. I am kind of the listener in my little group of friends. I make small comments, but that's it.How can I get to know him better without making him notice that I have a crush on him? I want to be friends first. Please help me!!!

Hey girlie, you're going to have to talk to him. Talking to him won't make him think you're weird or that you have a crush on him. Just say and ask how he is and see where things go from there. Don't be intimidated by him just because he's popular.

Lauren T.

by Kikykoala on 1/9/2013 8:05:37 PM

so there's this guy in my choir class who sits right next to me every day (literally 6 inches away). i flirt with him all the time and ask him stuff. he flirts back and retaliates questions. he winks at me and smiles when i smile at him and gets kinda physical with me like "shoving me" (brushing up against my shoulder) and putting his hand in my face (so i have to entwine my hand in his and hold it down).we had a thing when i was a sevie and he was a freshman but it was just a bet (he lost) i found out. now imma freshman and he's a junior. he's sweet and he's uber good at bball which i used to play so we talk about that. he doesnt date during bball season cuz it distracts him. any advice how to get closer to him? (mayb bf)?

Hey girlie, just keep doing what you're doing. Get his phone number so you can text him and maybe see him outside of school. Good luck!

Lauren T.

by alindgren on 1/9/2013 6:07:02 PM

Mod Mod Mod!
I'm 13 and I'm 5'7 and 98lbs and I have a 24 inch waist, but 32' hips and they make me feel fat. :/ I'm not trying to seek attention just wondering if that's normal

Hey girlie, some girls have larger hips. It's nothing to be embarrassed about or self-conscious about. Be confident in your body and find clothes that flatter it.

Lauren T.

by xoxojillianxo on 1/9/2013 5:36:35 PM

I've went to all my classes on my new schedule. And I absolutely hate every single one of my new classes. The teachers are young and don't seem to know how to teach well. And in my typing class I'm going to fail because all the keyboard covers are too big for the keyboard. And in every new class I just feel lonely there are some acquaintances of mine that I talk to in some of my classes but I'm still lonely. My classes last semester I didn't feel that lonely and I didn't have friends in any of my classes either. And overall school has gone from fun to down right depressing. What can I do to make school fun again and less lonely? Please help?

Hey girlie, give it a chance. Your teachers might surprise you and you have the whole semester to make new friends in your classes. Be positive, smile and make it fun!

Lauren T.

by HockeyLuver on 1/9/2013 5:24:47 PM

Mod mod mod
I have a huge crush on this boy. It's sort of awkward because I'm way taller than him, we are both shy, and he has no experience with girls. I have no oppurtunities to talk to him, but if I did I would have nothing to say.And if I had something to say I would be too scared to say it. I'm sick of calling it a good day when he looks at me. What's important to know is I don't want to date him. I'm crazy about him and i think he's adorable, but I just want to get to know him and be friends. Any ideas?

Hey girlie, any chance you get say hi! Even if you're just walking past him take the time to say hello to him. It'll make sure that he notices you and he'll think you're friendly and hopefully give him some incentive to try to talk to you.

Lauren T.

by Strawberries101 on 1/9/2013 5:04:54 PM

Mod Mod Mod!!!!
Can you give me any advice on how to study better? And during science i sit with the populars and they talk all the time and i cant focus on work and when we do experiments, they make me do all the work. How do i tell them to be quiet and to help me and not tell their friends that im like bossy?

hey girl! you just need to be honest and tell them you're worried about your grade and that you want to do well. if you're honest and kind they won't think youre bossy!

Katie L.

by Jklolsmile on 1/9/2013 4:54:39 PM

I dunno if I can have confidence anymore at school.....cause I, uh *blahhhhhhh*ed everywhere in 5th period today. Gonna be the major news at school tomorrow.

by wesdelwarrior on 1/9/2013 3:21:13 PM

Mod mod mod
So it really seems like my crush at karate likes me. He likes to pat my head, tickle my neck, and rest his arm on my shoulder. He is trying to get to know my family lol. One day, he asked me if I like him, and just to be safe I said "no, just as a friend". He took it hard the next day I saw him, but eventually he got over it. Yesterday, him and his friend wouldn't let me inside the door (they were joking) and they were laughing and smiling. He saw that I didn't find it funny after awhile, so he opened the door and I said sarcastically "thank you" and he played with my hair! I ran after him and rubbed his back and he stood next to me while I was stretching. Nothing really happened after that. How can I get him to ask me out? Is it ok for the girl to make a move? Maybe he didn't see the message, so should I write "I like you" on a sticky note and stick it on his shirt or forehead? Thanks (:

hey girl! hmm, I feel like I've talked to you about this sitch before but then again maybe I'm going crazy. I tihnk the note idea is really cute!

xoxo

Katie L.

by britishgurl on 1/9/2013 11:51:19 AM

i love this article Smile makes me feel good in the inside Smile

by islandgirl23 on 1/9/2013 6:47:42 AM