8 HOURS AGO Don't miss all the fun at Fash Bash 2014! Click here to RSVP: http://t.co/hxOEzrhlmp

11 HOURS AGO 6 ways to revamp your fresh veggies: http://t.co/uVLIaiXDOB

12 HOURS AGO The trick to beating body envy: http://t.co/e3zU4Mbgnb

COMMENTS

Why cheerleading needs to be considered a sport

From classic teen movie Bring It On to TLC’s Cheer Perfection to the real-life triumphs of cheerleaders like world record-breaking back handspringer Miranda Ferguson, there’s no doubt in...

cheerleading IS a sport im a cheerleader all of the hardwork we put in girls even break their bones from flying in the air or just basic tumbling they can also be disabled for life but the effort is worth it everytime i come home from cheer practice im always sweating...not a sport? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

by firegirl2247 on 11/4/2012 8:54:44 AM

I was a basketball cheerleader 7th grade year (sideline) and I do not consider what I did a sport. Now competition cheerleading, I do consider a sport (like marching band they go to competitions) because they don't just stand on the side yelling. There should be regulations for both competition and sideline cheering, but sideline cheering should not be considered a sport. Sorry, but a sport consists of some kind of competition. Swimming= meets; basketball= games; marching band= competitions. Sideline has no kind of scoring or competition. Now don't get me wrong, cheerleaders are an important part of school spirit, but really aren't a sport

by cahbead21 on 11/2/2012 8:26:19 PM

Is broadcast, the news, robotics, debate clubs a sport now because they take hardwork, and teamwork??? No, I didn't think so.....

by averya on 11/2/2012 7:04:15 PM

COMPETETATIVE CHEERLEADING IS CONSIDERED A SPORT!!! Although sideline cheering may not be a sport, competative cheering is most deffinatley a sport! Please sign the petition!

by heather99 on 11/2/2012 4:59:58 PM

Cheerleading is definitley a sport.It takes teamwork.

by LRM15 on 11/2/2012 2:41:05 PM

As anyone who has done it knows, Cheer leading IS a sport.
1.We try out for the squad.
2.We have to get a physical.
3.We have a coach.
4.We stretch, run, and do conditioning.
5.Tumbling and stunting.
...And yet our squad is a "club" at our school. It's ridiculous. We can't even get P.E. credit. If there's a way to get it changed I will be Sooo happy!

by DramaQueen01 on 11/1/2012 7:17:48 PM

I love that people say hard work is considered a sport! Haha! I guess you would be saying Broadcast is a sport because I work hard in it!!!!! Nope, their hobbies!!! Cheer=Hobby! XOXO, Avery

by averya on 11/1/2012 7:06:55 PM

Oh and i bet you wouldn't beleive that the little girls that go up in the air are the strongest a girlhalf my ise picked me up!9im 5'1

by caimccle on 11/1/2012 5:17:43 PM

I just started cheerig for RTC its so much fun and i've gained soooo much muscle its a sport id recomend to any age!

by caimccle on 11/1/2012 4:49:05 PM

This is so true! Cheerleading is so much harder than people realize, I consider it harder than many other sports because depending on how practice goes, four times a week I get a two hour straight high intensity workout, plus even though I'm a flyer, I can't imagine doing extensions or scorpions or libs can be that easy for the bases all the time. Also, cheerleading takes so much hard work, I love that people are finally saying we should make it a sport!

by cheerfulcheer on 10/31/2012 11:44:45 PM