5 HOURS AGO Why you should be rockin' a super cute sun hat this season: http://t.co/6iUJMHrLzm

8 HOURS AGO Don't worry; shaving your arms will not make your hair grow back like a sasquach: http://t.co/xbnHVhvheI

9 HOURS AGO What would you do if your mom blogged all of your private (& majorly embarrassing) moments for the world to see? http://t.co/CFJM3Sv1B4

COMMENTS

Why cheerleading needs to be considered a sport

From classic teen movie Bring It On to TLC’s Cheer Perfection to the real-life triumphs of cheerleaders like world record-breaking back handspringer Miranda Ferguson, there’s no doubt in...

cheerleading is a sport. It has physical movements. You have to have a strong bod. So technically its a sport.

by asdfghjulia on 3/16/2013 2:30:23 PM

if cheer leading is a sport than horse riding is to! You sport gets A LOT of publicity but dressage doesn't so complain all you want about how it really is a sport (which i agree with 100 percent) just be great full that people know what it is.

by sparklycupcake2000 on 11/25/2012 11:52:48 AM

I don't believe cheerleading is a sport. In my eyes its more of a waste of time. I also have no respect for cheerleaders, bouncing around in their short skirts. Now I do believe motivational gymnastics is a sport and it is a professional sport too. There is a difference!

by smartnsassy on 11/18/2012 7:08:46 PM

if cheerleading was any easier they'd call it fotball. i wanna see any other sport lift a girl an atms length above there head or oull they leg up in a perfect cirlce behind their all while stand on two peoples hands, then doiong a full cradle or flip flop into a lib then basket then bow and arrow. Or do flips that throw caution to the wind.. you do that then you can say cheerleading is not a sport.

by RAWRthehamsandwhich on 11/16/2012 4:54:53 PM

Well if cheer leading is a sport then why do so many people think that horse ridding isn't? Yes i get it cheer leaders can do gymnastics but horse ridding is really demanding yet no body cares. I would really be happy if some one could write an article on why dressage (an equine sport) should be considered a sport!!!!!!

by sparklycupcake2000 on 11/7/2012 6:00:23 PM

ok if that is considered a sport dance should be a sport no matter what

by tampagirl<3 on 11/7/2012 4:08:47 PM

@midwestgirl, you are my new best friend Smile

by 1blackat on 11/6/2012 10:55:40 PM

I think there needs to be an article about why color guard/marching band should be considered a sport! Smile

by midwestgirl on 11/5/2012 7:58:27 PM

Hey, guys, I've started a club all about sports and athletes. We can talk and discuss about other things just like this cheer debate, and any other stuff as well. Please join!! Smile -grace1089

by grace1089 on 11/5/2012 7:20:09 PM

In my book, a sport is considered a sport if it involves athletes. According to the dictionary, an athlete is a person who is trained or skilled in excercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina. I'm not in cheer myself, but many of my friends are. I think whether it is or is not a sport depends on the schools and what they do at practices and such. At my school, the cheerleaders have practice every weekday for 2 and a half hours, plus football & basketball games and pep rallies. In that way, I would consider it a sport. But, if the cheerleaders just sit on the bleachers doing nothing during practice, I wouldn't think of it as a sport. So it all depends. Smile

by grace1089 on 11/5/2012 7:18:22 PM

cheerleading IS a sport im a cheerleader all of the hardwork we put in girls even break their bones from flying in the air or just basic tumbling they can also be disabled for life but the effort is worth it everytime i come home from cheer practice im always sweating...not a sport? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

by firegirl2247 on 11/4/2012 8:54:44 AM

I was a basketball cheerleader 7th grade year (sideline) and I do not consider what I did a sport. Now competition cheerleading, I do consider a sport (like marching band they go to competitions) because they don't just stand on the side yelling. There should be regulations for both competition and sideline cheering, but sideline cheering should not be considered a sport. Sorry, but a sport consists of some kind of competition. Swimming= meets; basketball= games; marching band= competitions. Sideline has no kind of scoring or competition. Now don't get me wrong, cheerleaders are an important part of school spirit, but really aren't a sport

by cahbead21 on 11/2/2012 8:26:19 PM

Is broadcast, the news, robotics, debate clubs a sport now because they take hardwork, and teamwork??? No, I didn't think so.....

by averya on 11/2/2012 7:04:15 PM

COMPETETATIVE CHEERLEADING IS CONSIDERED A SPORT!!! Although sideline cheering may not be a sport, competative cheering is most deffinatley a sport! Please sign the petition!

by heather99 on 11/2/2012 4:59:58 PM

Cheerleading is definitley a sport.It takes teamwork.

by LRM15 on 11/2/2012 2:41:05 PM

As anyone who has done it knows, Cheer leading IS a sport.
1.We try out for the squad.
2.We have to get a physical.
3.We have a coach.
4.We stretch, run, and do conditioning.
5.Tumbling and stunting.
...And yet our squad is a "club" at our school. It's ridiculous. We can't even get P.E. credit. If there's a way to get it changed I will be Sooo happy!

by DramaQueen01 on 11/1/2012 7:17:48 PM

I love that people say hard work is considered a sport! Haha! I guess you would be saying Broadcast is a sport because I work hard in it!!!!! Nope, their hobbies!!! Cheer=Hobby! XOXO, Avery

by averya on 11/1/2012 7:06:55 PM

Oh and i bet you wouldn't beleive that the little girls that go up in the air are the strongest a girlhalf my ise picked me up!9im 5'1

by caimccle on 11/1/2012 5:17:43 PM

I just started cheerig for RTC its so much fun and i've gained soooo much muscle its a sport id recomend to any age!

by caimccle on 11/1/2012 4:49:05 PM

This is so true! Cheerleading is so much harder than people realize, I consider it harder than many other sports because depending on how practice goes, four times a week I get a two hour straight high intensity workout, plus even though I'm a flyer, I can't imagine doing extensions or scorpions or libs can be that easy for the bases all the time. Also, cheerleading takes so much hard work, I love that people are finally saying we should make it a sport!

by cheerfulcheer on 10/31/2012 11:44:45 PM

Well I do broadcast club. Thats my after school HOBBY! Do you want me to consider it a sport since I work really hard in it?? Nope! CHEER IS SO A HOBBY!!!!!! Plus running is not that much of hard work.... And also jumping is not hard work at all...... It's like your saying when I'm doing P.E. stretches im doing a sport because im sqeezing my arms, not really! Cheer is probably a fun hobby to do, but that doesn't mean it's a real sport! Or it's a workout when your holding up other people! Cheer= Hobby or workout!

by averya on 10/30/2012 7:16:04 PM

Okay, I'd like to compare cheer to volleyball. What do volleyball players do to warm up before practice? They run laps. What do cheerleaders do? My coach makes us run for five STRAIGHT minutes around our gym. It's harder than you think, ya know. She's not just saying, jog three laps. She's giving you a time just to run.
Volleyball players have to jump maybe five times in one set, we jump about twenty times in one hour of practice!!!!!! Not including you could easily get injured while flying!!

So, yes, sideline cheer IS NOT technically a sport according to the dictionary. But we STILL work just as hard as a baseball player, a V-ball player, a softball player, even a basketball player!! :\

by fungirl123 on 10/30/2012 11:14:09 AM

It makes me made when people say cheer isn't a sport! I cheer at school not competitive and we work really hard. We practice almost the whole week for like 3 hours a day. sometimes we don't just lift tiny girls either. We also lift bigger girls too. When we practice we have to stand there and hold our motions while squeezing your arms as much as you can. Not everybody can do a perfect toe touch or backhandspring. Flyers have to squeeze their abs and legs in a stunt. Bases have to hold the girl and use leg muscles to pull her up. Backs it's have to pull the girl up the whole time. Cheer is a sport. I've cheered for 3 years and we started the season like 3 weeks ago. We are already cradling and doing ground ups and hitches. The new girls learn really fast. I cheer at a school and it is just as hard as competitive.

by Dogscheerdance123 on 10/30/2012 8:46:20 AM

As much as I want to side with cheerleading being a sport, I think I'm going to lean against it. I my school there is a rule against any tricks and stuff for cheerleaders, so all they can do pretty much is wave there poms poms. Plus hgh school cheerleading isn't really anything, competitive cheerleading is a different thing but that doesn't happen through the school.

by volleyballlovergirlie on 10/30/2012 12:09:46 AM

Ok I'm adding to my report earlier!!! NOT a sport! Doing tricks little kids do in their backyards when their bored, yelling stuff at the top of their lungs, and shaking pom poms. Your getting tired because your yelling, and running around with your friends! Oh, and you're just lifting them up. And their the super light ones. It's just you're activity, and hobby, it's not softball, or soccer, just a hobby! Smile

by averya on 10/29/2012 9:44:34 PM

And yeah it seems like at my school the cheerleaders just wave their mom moms and look cute. They don't really do much... And dance is nothing like cheer. Dance is WAY more advanced. Cheer leading pretty much comes from dance (acro)

by YouCanCallMeCat on 10/29/2012 9:01:37 PM

I really don't know if it should be a sport. It's one of those where you can't just decide. But, if they are having more injury reports, they should train the cheerleaders with safety equiptment. Also, I really don't care to much for cheerleading. I rather play softball.

by wesdelwarrior on 10/29/2012 8:51:28 PM

Sigh. Some people are so ignorant. Go to a chher competition! I wanna see a regular girl do a straight up extention, back tuck, or even backhandspring step-out. Cheerleading is not just shaking poms, yelling, and hitting motions. It's stunting, tumbling, yelling, and hard work. My routine goes: Opening(motions), Jumps/Standing Tumbling, Cartwheel Stunt, Running Tumbling, Baskets, Pyramid (and no, not that stereotyped one with girls kneeling on top of eachother), and Dance. By the end, you are EXHAUSTED! Also, we have 3 hour practices(five hours at the start of the season for choreography camp). Do all of this and then you can tell me it's not a sport. Got it? Smile

by JustluvAriana on 10/29/2012 8:49:35 PM

Sorry to anyone who does cheer to the max, but at my school they just run around and wave pompoms and do a cartwheel every once in a while. Sorry, but thats what i see. Def can't be compared to karate (my sport), dance, hockey, and other sports.

by epicforevs on 10/29/2012 8:37:17 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
1) i am 12 years old 125 pounds and doing basketball and volleyball. My BMI says im around 80th percent is that healthy? (I dont wanna be skinny)
2) Also can u give some specific morning workouts to do and some healthy snack ideas?
thnx

Hey girl, 1) I think the best judge of that is your doc. Next time you go to your checkup, see what he or she says about your weight. Chances are you're fine! 2) I'm a big fan of jogging: a 30-minute jog around the neighborhood every other day can translate to a great morning. As for snacks, stick with fruit and yogurt definitely or even granola (or celery, carrots, etc.). Avoid processed food if you can (so limit soda and chips).

xoxo
Alyssa B.

by Ash166 on 10/29/2012 7:56:02 PM

What about dance? Shouldnt it be a sport too? Im a dancer and we work just as hard.

by pariskitty11 on 10/29/2012 7:34:48 PM

Cheer is a sport. I've been cheering for 6 years now and I'm the captain of my squad. Cheer is 100% a sport. You jump, you tumble, you have to place your motions perfectly, you have to have a loud voice. And you have to do it all with a perfect smile. It isn't something just anyone can do. When people say it isn't, it makes me soooo mad. I'd like to see them do half of what we do.

by abbz13 on 10/29/2012 6:58:03 PM

I dont think saying stuff, holding pom-poms, and lifting up your friends is a sport. Seems more like a hangout to me. Def not a sport!

by averya on 10/29/2012 6:40:19 PM

I have never seen the cheerleaders at my school do anything potentially dangerous. They mainly just yell and stuff. Now, if they actually were to do something impressive, then maybe I'd be on board. But I have never seen them do anything athletic at all.

by Fly1213 on 10/29/2012 6:35:57 PM

definatly. cheer leading is amazing and hard, but when your good at it, it looks amazing!

by sammyy99 on 10/29/2012 6:10:39 PM

P.S. The reason we don't have very many injuries: You don't do something unless you know you won't get hurt! Probably 99% of injuries are freak accidents!

by JustluvAriana on 10/29/2012 6:05:54 PM

you cant consider all cheerleading a sport. competitive where you tumble is a different story. so, NO

by ayyjayy22 on 10/29/2012 6:05:17 PM

In 5th grade I wrote a 3 page paper about this! I convinced everyone in my class, even the people that hate me had to admit I made a good point. I'm a competitive cheerleader and it is HARD WORK! ♥

by JustluvAriana on 10/29/2012 6:03:27 PM

umm what about that stupid controversy about if dance is a spot (which it totally is)...?

by kellebelle99 on 10/29/2012 5:48:44 PM

Does that make dance a sport too?

by April0405 on 10/29/2012 5:27:20 PM

I run into the same issue with my "club" of fencers. Because of the weapons policy, our equipment is not allowed on campus. We play with swords (all they are is a rod of metal with a rubber button on the end) and the biggest injury I have ever seen is the same things you get when playing soccer or lacross.
I definatly find it interesting that cheerleading is not an offical sport. They tell us to be "well rounded" students and they only give us a list of 10 or so choices that the school offers.

by Horses_101 on 10/29/2012 5:25:39 PM

Sideline cheerleading isnt a sport, like at fottball games, but going against other teams is competitive cheerleading and is considered a sport.

by snowver11 on 10/29/2012 5:23:20 PM

I thought it was considered a sport. :p

by Chloe<3 on 10/29/2012 5:06:02 PM