1 HOURS AGO Sleep easy: 5 tips to kick your night owl habits for good: http://t.co/xh0ax2dZEE

2 HOURS AGO Enter Miss Kitty Couture's Style Selfie contest to win an iPad mini and fab fashions!: http://t.co/VLEA1qtyxe

3 HOURS AGO Bring on the new month with a DIY calendar!: http://t.co/mNSrvdHjnm

COMMENTS

Learning a new language could help ya get ahead big-time

The English language is pretty common all over the world, and it’s worked well for you so far when communicating in daily life. But did you know...

Mod mod mod! Ok so I am in 7th grade going into 8th. I've decided to go to a private high school instead of my local public. Anyway there are 2 major Prep Schools in my area of where I live. They are both like $50,000 a year to go to, which is clearly expensive. Anyway my sister applied to both and did not get it. I would definitely have a better chance of getting in then she would because I do more extra circular activities and I get straight A's. Basically what I'm getting at is I'm wondering if I should try and apply. Not many people get accepted but I don't know what to do. There's a private Catholic school that everyone says they hates and it's not that expensive. But the Prep Schools are A LOT to think about.. You have to take a tour of the school, go on an interview with your parents and take a huge test. What do you suggest I do? Should I try an easier private school, or apply to the big ones?

Hey girlie, it doesn't hurt to apply. You can at least start with a tour of the school and see if you're even interested in more than that. If you get accepted, it doesn't mean that you have to go there. So putting in your application doesn't lock you into any decisions, it just gives you options.
Lauren T.

by marylofal16 on 4/1/2013 5:23:12 PM

I am planning on being an interpreter when I get older, so this is useful.

by ising990 on 4/1/2013 1:40:43 PM

Modmodmodmodmodmood
I feel like I'm way ahead of my classmates! Help!

Hey! look into advanced classes, and if there are none, try joining a club or learning something new to occupy your mind. like a new instrument maybe? hope this helps!

Helen S.

by beachlover123 on 3/21/2013 6:52:14 PM

I'm taking Latin next year. I've heard it is beneficial with SAT English scores. But is taking a dead language unhelpful?

Hey girl, if you want to take Latin, go for it!  If you want to learn more about how Latin can be useful, have a chat with your school adviser or your Latin teacher.  They'll be able to help you identify ways in which studying Latin can be helpful for your life.

Karin E.

by EmileeAnna on 2/11/2013 2:14:11 AM

I'm an English speaker, and so far I've picked up German, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, and a bit of Italian. I love learning new languages, plus being multi- or bilingual looks really good on college resumes. I'm a bit out of practice in Mandarin and German, I should probably practice a bit hahaha......

by lol1029 on 2/10/2013 10:13:08 PM

i'm taking spanish. i don't know why, but a lot of people think french is very important

by myfatsquirrel on 2/1/2013 5:57:15 PM

At my school I learned sign language, but I am not fluent. I am also learning Spanish right now at school. Sadly I am probably never going to be fluent.

by archeology on 1/26/2013 4:47:50 PM

MOD!MOD!MOD!
okay i guess you can call me a procrastinatior. Ive been an honner student sice 5th grade. Since now that i am a freshman in highschool, i get really snacky when i get home from school. I get of the bus which is normally around 30 mins. then i pick a snack and watch tv for alittle bit. I usually take about an hour as "Brain break" as i call it afterschool. Is that to long? And sometimes i lose track of time or keep procrastinating and then next things you know its 5 oclock and i havent started my homework yet! Is there any way how i can break this habit? THANKS!

Hey girlie, pay attention to how what you're snacking on makes you feel. Choose foods that make you feel energized so you'll be more motivated to get work done. Take about a half hour to do something for you and start your work. You can reward yourself with a TV show or fun game break when you get certain amounts of work done.

Lauren T.

by Rea12 on 12/16/2012 8:51:42 PM

I've learned English, but I speak Portuguese in my country =)

by Cindy Lima on 12/11/2012 8:05:41 PM

It's really very nice learning a new language. It's like a new world, lol

I actually speak Portuguese, I'm from Brazil, and it's very nice understanding all these posts and commenting here.
I love English very much, it's a wonderful language, mainly the accent, I love how you speak, is so sweet =)

I watch TV in English, with no subtitles, and my family doesn't understand anything, so they just watch, not understand, lol

So...It's really very nice speaking and understanding another language, so, just do it =D

by Cindy Lima on 12/11/2012 7:53:45 PM

I'm learning German! I hope to be fluent one day Smile

by unicornninja on 12/10/2012 5:43:23 PM

My friends both speak other languages. One of them is from an Iraq culture and speaks Arabic. My other friend is from Romania and speaks Romanian. She is also trying to learn French. We are all learning Spanish in school. It is so cool to learn another language!

by fullhousefan1987 on 12/8/2012 6:13:11 PM

I use livemocha.com to work on learning new languages, because you can go at your own pace and it's easy. Plus, other people review things you submit, so if you're taking Spanish, a person from Spain might help you learn. Some of the features require money, but I have never paid a cent for it.

by crazyhepper17 on 12/3/2012 9:30:38 PM

ASL! I love sign language and most people don't realize how important it is and it is really fun! Some of the signs can be really funny, too Smile

by xxnycbeauty on 12/2/2012 10:22:46 PM

They fail to mention LatinSmile It is a huge help in everything- I just took the PSAT as a freshman and am sure I did much better than most of the sophomores and juniors with the help of two years of Latin... it IS a dead language, but can be spoken (just by the way, my teacher went to Italy and spoke Latin with a priest)... if you learn Latin first, French, Spanish, etc. are a TON easierSmile ANY language is helpful- even if it isn't 'popularly spoken' it can still be useful Smile

by kiwi116 on 11/30/2012 9:45:47 PM

Learning a second language is important, plus if you want to travel someday it will be a big help. And meeting cute guys and other people is easier when you know two languages.

by fashionqn on 11/30/2012 12:22:31 PM

I'm learning to speak Russian! I got really fasinated over the summer when my camp counselor told us she was born there. So far I know to say all my family's name, hello, goodbye, no, yes. And so much more! Learning a new language is tons of fun! I only used Google Translate to speak Russian! I actually feel better about myself. And I feel smarter. Smile

by LivieLoo on 11/28/2012 6:45:56 PM