3 HOURS AGO Which trendy print are you? http://t.co/ZNIaHQDOTy

4 HOURS AGO This sweetie shows that sometimes life really can be like the movies: http://t.co/5BF8G1XBso

5 HOURS AGO Is online dating NBD? http://t.co/8zbDRzPccm

COMMENTS

Um, what? Tennessee considering Don't Say Gay bill for K-8 schools

Lawmakers in Tennessee are reconsidering a piece of legislation from last year that has been nicknamed the “Don’t Say Gay” bill. If passed, it would...

There is no "age limit" when suddenly your old enough to be gay. My friend was in the beginning of 8th grade when she decided she was gay. So what? Just because she's not in 9th grade doesn't mean she can't be proud of who she is! This is just wrecking gay or bi kids self-esteem, which is already low from being different!

by ste22 on 2/11/2013 5:16:40 PM

This is the exact way I was raised, but that doesn't mean my friends and I are anti-gay or there are no gays in our generation. I don't they should start a whole new gay cirruculum, but that doesn't mean people should pretend like it doesn't exist. Growing up in a Catholic school, homosexuality was never discussed unless pointing out the Church's views of it, which was always treaded lightly upon and with respect. My point is, someone like me who has never discussed homosexuality in school can still grow to be someone who supports gays and their rights, and like wise with a student who is actually gay learning to accept who they are. Also, discussing multiple sexual orientations with young students could lead them to be more questionable about their own sexuality, which can progress to become much messier later on. Gays should be respected in our society, but I don't think homosexuality should be presented to young students the same way heterosexuality is.

by Emilyp123 on 2/11/2013 4:59:13 PM

I think this is completely ridiculous. Who cares if someone is gay or not. Let them be them. Kids we eventually have to be "exposed" to this stuff anyway. There is nothing wrong with being homosexual. I know you are not necessarily "born" that way but you don't "choose" either. It's like a behavioural trait. If you grow up in a certain environment you will most likely turn our a certain way. It's like liking baseball. You partially chose and partial natural like baseball. It's the same thing with being homosexual. This is one of the lamest and most time-wasting bills I have ever heard of. And that says a lot. Meghan D.

by bloop116 on 2/11/2013 4:52:12 PM

This is freaking ridiculous!

by iloveballet&singing on 2/11/2013 4:40:01 PM

This is bad! If they're going to pass this law, thy need to not be discrimitory and say you can't discuss sexuality all together! (Which would also be = ridic) UGGH!

Gay is OK!

by txtingirl on 2/11/2013 3:58:37 PM

Personally, I think that the "Don't Say Gay" law is perfectly fine. It may not be a very common opinion, but the way I see things is that some parents may not want their children to be exposed to homosexuality at such a young age. Different people have different opinions, but you have to respect all of them!

As for the second issue, I think it's ridiculous that counselors are telling parents about their children's sexuality! Some things should be confidential. Not all kids can trust their parents with private things like that.

by purplerainn on 2/11/2013 3:49:23 PM

Terrible. I mean I could understand if this was a private school, a public school though? No. Public school are so kids can express their individualities. I am not saying that I totally stick to being bisexual but everybody should have their own choice of how they want to live their life. Meghan D.

by BabyDahl13 on 2/11/2013 3:49:06 PM

What?!?! Being gay is fine! It doesn't matter if your straight or gay! The only thing that matter is that you're a nice person!!!! That law is stupid

by Prim on 2/11/2013 3:44:04 PM

its ok to be gay! there's absolutely nothing wrong with it! Just accept everyone for who they are

by myfatsquirrel on 2/11/2013 3:40:13 PM

Ok about K-8... Most kids are still trying to figure themselfs out. No one knows yet if they are gay, bi, or straight. Most kids get mixed feelings like me. I don't think it's right to do this. It's kind of ridiculous...

by YouCanCallMeCat on 2/11/2013 3:29:37 PM