Bridget M.

is modding

AN HOUR AGO Which @5SOS guy ditched the group? http://t.co/ha18y5CgrB

1 HOURS AGO Don't deck the hall, deck your nails with 5 fab Christmas manis: http://t.co/lRl4FxZNXW

2 HOURS AGO We chilled with @CodySimpson at @barbizonmodels' Passport to Discovery cruise, and THIS is what he said: http://t.co/rHxMCbdWJj

COMMENTS

Um, what? Tennessee considering Don't Say Gay bill for K-8 schools

Lawmakers in Tennessee are reconsidering a piece of legislation from last year that has been nicknamed the “Don’t Say Gay” bill. If passed, it would...

Doesn't that violate the First Amendment?

by PandaPeach on 8/7/2013 12:38:59 AM

but to you who completely support gays, it is techniclly a sin, still. But thats okay! Everyone sins and all sin is treated the same, even lying, stealing, abusing, and murder. THEY ARE ALL SEEN JUST AS BAD IN THE EYES OF GOD. Even being gay. But its okay!!!!

by emim88 on 5/24/2013 8:49:35 PM

okay. So im a christian, and i follow the bible. Sure, technically its a sin, but so is lying. So is stealing. So is making fun of others. But we do all those everyday. God treats all sin the same, so pretty much being gay is as bad as lying, which EVERYBODY does. plus, do you think gay people choose to think that way? NO! They don't control their feelings, just like we dont control ours. So calm down. And theres no need to contact parents! Most wouldnt want their parents to know quite yet!!!!

by emim88 on 5/24/2013 8:46:45 PM

There is NOTHING wrong with being gay or bi I don't know why girls on here
are like god doesn't like what your doing! um excuse me? God wouldn't want you judging people
I am for gay rights were NOT in 1902 anymore this 2013 my sister is a lesbian and has a really nice girlfriend and my moms brother who's my uncle is gay gay people are not sinners people that rape steal and murder are I'm serious it's disgusting how close minded people are
when I went to Dunkin Donuts with my sis and her GF this couple was starring at them
like they were from another planet god would be very upset if he heard people judging each other
and for people to say it's unhealthy is awful there's nothing wrong with it I'm serious I know people have there own believes but some things you should defiantly keep to your selfs
you girls do know there's les and bi users on here? how do you think they feel when they read comments like the ones your posting?

by redvelvetluv on 5/23/2013 10:07:53 PM

this is absolutely ridiculous. not letting kids talk about homosexuality or anything that isnt the sexual norm wont stop them from being lgbt, it will only make it harder and more confusing for them as they grow up unaware of what they might be and believing that being gay is wrong. if they turn out to be gay, queer, or trans they'll probably end up hating themselves. this wont help anyone. the only thing this will do is hurt people.

by dilquius on 5/14/2013 8:59:21 PM

This law would only confuse kids more, not stop it. They will think that if you don't discuss it, its not okay, and thats not true. It is basically saying it's not okay to be gay when it is. everyone should have equal rights, and that includes gay people.

by cityduck on 5/11/2013 12:09:51 PM

This is idiotic. I know that some people think that it's disgusting, but it's normal! some people are just like that. You can't control it. If some people say that it's against the Bible, think again! First, the bible says nothing explicitly against gayness. second, you also say that God created all, and that God doesn't make mistakes. Then, God created homosexuality, and it ISN'T a mistake. I know that it makes people uncomfortable to talk about it, and that's totally normal. It makes me uncomfortable sometimes, too. But being personally close to someone lesbian, I know that they're not messed up. They're normal people, just with a different point of view.

by jayjay927 on 4/10/2013 10:55:25 PM

Love. Has. No. Limits!!!!!!!!!!

by Fashionlover1313 on 3/29/2013 12:27:12 AM

This is ridiculous, outrageous and stupid. Seriously, LGBTQ kids and teens need to be supported, not repressed. Making a kid, tween or teen feel that their sexuality is wrong can destroy their self-esteem, not to mention lead to depression and even suicide. I am bi and if school officials found out and "intervened" in my life I would be mortified and furious! Don't pass the bill! Please! Okay, so think of it this way, people. If the homosexual or bisexual community was the majority and would oppress heterosexuals, how would they feel?! Walk in our shoes and you will know what it is like to be bullied and slandered for your sexuality. Get some empathy! Some people...*sigh*

by Invader Vazzimi on 3/10/2013 8:11:03 PM

I think this bill is disgusting. People fear what they don't understand, and preventing people from understanding that some people happen to not, or not exclusively, be heterosexual could potentially increase occurances of homophobic bullying. Being forcibly outed to your parents/guardians could also result in getting rejected or kicked out- as a part of the LGBTQ* community I know many people who have been kicked out of their homes for telling their parents that they're not straight.
For those who feel that homosexuality is a sin- not every Christian believes this, and on top of that, there are many people who believe in different gods or no god at all, and so it's unfair to make laws based on one religion.
Finally, to those who think being gay is a choice- next time you're at school, choose to be attracted to a girl. You can't? Exactly. You don't choose to be attracted to who you're attracted to, and you shouldn't be discriminated against because of it.

by The_Lorax on 3/8/2013 9:24:49 AM

I dont know, maybe they feel uncomfortable talking about sexuality in general with people who are in K through 8, maybe it isnt a gay or lesbian thing they just dont know how to talk to kids about sex. Its hard enough to learn about hetero sexuality, and maybe they think having to discuss gay male and lesbian female sexuality is also just tough. So maybe having to explain gay and lesbian sexual things and sexuality in general is just complicated for some people.

by fashionqn on 3/6/2013 11:02:30 PM

I'm 100% ok with homosexuals, I'm the kind of person that judges a person on their true personality, but this is kinda weird to me why would they keep teaching kids that being ur-self (if ur gay) is wrong and than do an intervention for it. I mean that's just mean, a lot like racism!!!!!

by glitzimani382 on 3/2/2013 1:35:39 PM

As I scrolled through the comments, it was so so so so so sad to see that 97% are for gay rights! :'(

by Ralinia on 2/28/2013 6:23:41 PM

Yes, god loves you just the same, but that does not mean he is happy with what you're doing or that u will be rewarded. What is this world coming to? :'( And no one is judging, we just don't agree with gays and bis 100%. And I'm not trying to be mean so please don't take it that way!!

by Ralinia on 2/28/2013 5:08:10 PM

That's like saying bisexual people are a sin! I'm bi and a lot of people judge but then get over it!

by Leopardbeat on 2/23/2013 10:36:26 PM

I think this is so stupid! being gay is not a sin
their brain washing the poor kids into thinking gay people are another species well their not! I honestly dont think god is going to hate you if you are gay lesbain bi whatever! he loves everyone the same your not going to get struck by thunder

by redvelvetluv on 2/23/2013 2:47:02 PM

I think the "intervention" part is just wrong. What you say to a counselor should STAY in that room unless they fear that your life might be on the line.
However, I do hear the word "gay" thrown around a lot. Like, "OMG, he's sooo gay". I think if they're gonna make a law about this, they should say that no kids are allowed to use the word gay in an insulting way. They can still say it but not as an insult.
Just a thought.

by XxTeddy_BearXx on 2/23/2013 9:42:37 AM

I would agree for maybe k-3 simply because of how young they are. they still believe cooties. after that this really doesn't apply. the students will hear about it at some point so why not have them properly educated about it?

by september25 on 2/22/2013 9:44:12 PM

school is supposed to be a place where children can be who they want to be. Denying people the right to be gay is taking away rights! We cannot be a perfect country! Being gay isnt wrong, its just people being who they want to be! Also what is to be interveined! It does not matter who you like or love! People are also supposed to love their children and excpet them for who they are. And what do they mean by authorities? It shouldnt be a crime to love, and what would the state be saying after years of telling us that being gay is okay if they made this law.

by hottie1250 on 2/22/2013 6:56:08 PM

What the heck?!?! The worst part of this to me is calling authorities to discuss "intervention." What needs to be intervened? Basically its like saying that you can't be anything but straight. And it won't confuse kids. Love is love, and anyone should be able to love anyone they want. I think that's important to teach kids, along with the fact that they can have their own opinion and mind about serious matters. I'm a 7th grader in TN and some of my best friends are lesbians and no one cares. Its your choice and if your uncomfortable with it then look away. Saying you like the same gender shouldn't be treated like admitting to using drugs or carrying a weapon.

by 28angel99 on 2/18/2013 3:06:28 PM

This reminds me of the article in Health and Fitness section where the males in some states government werent allowing one of the female representatives to talk about or mention the word "vagina". I know its not exactly like it but somewhere they are trying to stop people from saying vagina (which more than half of the world has one) and now they are trying to stop people from discussing gay and lesbian stuff.
I could see why you wouldnt want some people talking explicitly about homosexuality because it goes where people may feel uncomfortable but I am not sure if a ban is a good idea. Maybe it is if they get into explicit stuff, because that has happened in some schools where they were showing certain sexual things, but most of us by now kind of know about those things.

by fashionqn on 2/14/2013 6:23:10 PM

That is so Offensive thats like telling the kids that being gay isint ok Meghan D.

by redvelvetluv on 2/12/2013 8:31:39 PM

Excuse me, I thought we were in the 21st century! Literally, at school today we watched a video about a man who was bulied because of his sexuality through all of his years in school. Then, after he ran away twice, he sued the school's pricipals and vice principals. Long stoy short, the school had told him that being gay ment he should expect to be bullied. Thankfully, he won the court case. Anyways, in my opinion, if a school is against bullying, it should be against all reasons. If a school says it's wrong to bully because of a person's skin color, the same school should say it's wrong to bully because of sexuality.

by Supersid on 2/12/2013 4:22:21 PM

teachers and the gov't should not be be involved in a person's sexuality. BY doing this they make people who are gay feel bad about it. If someone is gay, that's their choice. It's just the way they are. ANd by making them feel like being that way is wrong just hurts their self estteem becasue that's like saying their personality is wrong. The topic of an individual's sexuality should remain between them, their partner, their friends, and family.

by N3rdyRand0mn3ss on 2/12/2013 3:56:02 PM

First of all, by "intervention," they mean straight camp. For one of my friends (he's gay) it was two weeks of reading bible verses and basicly being bullied into being straight. He HATED it, and it did nothing for him, or any of the guys from there he kept in touch with. All it did was lower his self confidence. If the "intervention" doesnt work, then the school forces you into the closet. ("In the closet" means not showing or telling people of your sexuality for those that dont know)
Second, I don't think teachers should be discussing ANY type of sexuality, hetro or not. It could make the students feel uncomfortable or pressured to change.
Lastly, I am bisexual (only my closest friends know). I would not like for my teachers to know, because I am sure that altough they wouldnt mention it, they would either a) think of me as less of a person or b) give me special treatment. I dont NEED that special treatmemt!
Thank you for reading.

by Echosong on 2/12/2013 1:31:54 PM

MOD MDO MOD
What does giving someone the middle finger mean?

Hey Girl, giving somebody the middle finger is meant to be crude (offensive) and inappropriate.  I cannot tell you much more but that it isn't a nice gesture.

Hannah H.

Hannah H.

by Justmecheyenne on 2/12/2013 1:21:19 PM

Join the Beliebers Stop the Haters Club to show your love for JB!

Find it in the new category!

by girlio93485 on 2/12/2013 11:13:50 AM

Say what?!?!? That's totally ridiculous. No matter WHAT your sexuality, everybody everywhere has been taught to love. How is this loving? How is this accepting? How is this kind? The short answer: it's not. It's unfair and very discriminating towards people who are just like everybody else. I don't think that there should even be any question about this- teachers and students shouldn't be allowed to think like that in school

by skiier123 on 2/12/2013 10:01:02 AM

Ok, I know this is an unpopular opinion on here, girls life is democratic. But I personally agree with these laws. Teachers should inform the parents if they think they're gay, parents should know whats going on in their kids life. Not overly, but that kind of thing... and I agree with the heterosexual only talking about thing to.

by beththebrave on 2/12/2013 12:35:07 AM

I think this is very scary that they are actually considering this because the idea that a child would basically have to go into therapy if they are gay is absolutely atrocious and makes me feel sick to my stomach.

by otter77 on 2/11/2013 8:47:13 PM

I understand the part of not speaking of homosexuality. As long as they dont talk about heterosexuality, either. But telling the parents if they think that a kids gay, that the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. So the kids gay, why does that matter? It's not a disease, it's not a crime, it isnt bad, it's a life choice. If the srudent wants to tell their parents, they will. Telling the parents is so unfair, and a breech of confidentiality between the kid and the person at school.

by PandaLover0330 on 2/11/2013 8:42:46 PM

it's not like they're allowed to talk about religion with us either. it's only fair, i think.

I'm so glad I live in Tennessee Laughing

by raininghippos on 2/11/2013 7:55:45 PM

That is just incredibly offensive. I cannot believe they are even considering that. No matter if you're gay or straight, you should be loved. NOT outlawed or told you're illegal.

by believeyoucanfly on 2/11/2013 7:24:07 PM

hey girlies! Please check out my Club:

"Fashion, Hair, and more! Oh my!"

We talk fashion,hair, nails, skin, beauty, and more! Postions as "Fashionista" and "Beauty Babe" are also open.
Can't wait to see you there!

Thanks <3

by karasinski on 2/11/2013 7:24:01 PM

I live in Tennessee. I think that children have the right to decide their sexuality themselves, and I think that around 7th and 8th grade is when they really begin to figure out their view on a significant other. I believe schools need to discuss this issue with the children instead of basically making them live a sheltered life without knowing their options. I think children should be informed about homosexuality so that when they encounter someone who is homosexual they will not be entirely clueless about what that means. Meghan D.

by the_girl_in_goal on 2/11/2013 7:05:08 PM

by nazirah817 on 2/11/2013 6:35:32 PM

I think this is stupid. If kids don't want their parents knowing they are gay yet, then don't force them. It's not healthy. Also, in middle school we talked about gay marriage or other things involving homosexuality for class. Our health teacher was a lesbian, and she was one of the nicest people ever and a good teacher. Even in English when we had to write an essay about a controversial topics, lots of people did gay rights. One of my friends felt like he was weird and he felt different for a long time because he was shielded from what gay really way and he finally felt better because he knew what was 'off' about him all this time. If kids are shielded, then they'll never know. Kids shouldn't be kept from this stuff. Meghan D.

by Ari_luv on 2/11/2013 6:17:44 PM

That is so absurd. People can't help if they are gay. They are born that way. Meghan D.

by PandaPillowPet on 2/11/2013 6:14:48 PM

this is really messed up. being gay is a decision that involves one person and it is who they are. being gay is not something you should hide.

by sammyy99 on 2/11/2013 6:07:12 PM

by rockchik333 on 2/11/2013 5:50:15 PM

There is no "age limit" when suddenly your old enough to be gay. My friend was in the beginning of 8th grade when she decided she was gay. So what? Just because she's not in 9th grade doesn't mean she can't be proud of who she is! This is just wrecking gay or bi kids self-esteem, which is already low from being different!

by ste22 on 2/11/2013 5:16:40 PM

This is the exact way I was raised, but that doesn't mean my friends and I are anti-gay or there are no gays in our generation. I don't they should start a whole new gay cirruculum, but that doesn't mean people should pretend like it doesn't exist. Growing up in a Catholic school, homosexuality was never discussed unless pointing out the Church's views of it, which was always treaded lightly upon and with respect. My point is, someone like me who has never discussed homosexuality in school can still grow to be someone who supports gays and their rights, and like wise with a student who is actually gay learning to accept who they are. Also, discussing multiple sexual orientations with young students could lead them to be more questionable about their own sexuality, which can progress to become much messier later on. Gays should be respected in our society, but I don't think homosexuality should be presented to young students the same way heterosexuality is.

by Emilyp123 on 2/11/2013 4:59:13 PM

I think this is completely ridiculous. Who cares if someone is gay or not. Let them be them. Kids we eventually have to be "exposed" to this stuff anyway. There is nothing wrong with being homosexual. I know you are not necessarily "born" that way but you don't "choose" either. It's like a behavioural trait. If you grow up in a certain environment you will most likely turn our a certain way. It's like liking baseball. You partially chose and partial natural like baseball. It's the same thing with being homosexual. This is one of the lamest and most time-wasting bills I have ever heard of. And that says a lot. Meghan D.

by bloop116 on 2/11/2013 4:52:12 PM

This is freaking ridiculous!

by iloveballet&singing on 2/11/2013 4:40:01 PM

This is bad! If they're going to pass this law, thy need to not be discrimitory and say you can't discuss sexuality all together! (Which would also be = ridic) UGGH!

Gay is OK!

by txtingirl on 2/11/2013 3:58:37 PM

Personally, I think that the "Don't Say Gay" law is perfectly fine. It may not be a very common opinion, but the way I see things is that some parents may not want their children to be exposed to homosexuality at such a young age. Different people have different opinions, but you have to respect all of them!

As for the second issue, I think it's ridiculous that counselors are telling parents about their children's sexuality! Some things should be confidential. Not all kids can trust their parents with private things like that.

by purplerainn on 2/11/2013 3:49:23 PM

Terrible. I mean I could understand if this was a private school, a public school though? No. Public school are so kids can express their individualities. I am not saying that I totally stick to being bisexual but everybody should have their own choice of how they want to live their life. Meghan D.

by BabyDahl13 on 2/11/2013 3:49:06 PM

What?!?! Being gay is fine! It doesn't matter if your straight or gay! The only thing that matter is that you're a nice person!!!! That law is stupid

by Prim on 2/11/2013 3:44:04 PM

its ok to be gay! there's absolutely nothing wrong with it! Just accept everyone for who they are

by myfatsquirrel on 2/11/2013 3:40:13 PM

Ok about K-8... Most kids are still trying to figure themselfs out. No one knows yet if they are gay, bi, or straight. Most kids get mixed feelings like me. I don't think it's right to do this. It's kind of ridiculous...

by YouCanCallMeCat on 2/11/2013 3:29:37 PM

Well to be honest, I certainly don't think it should be discussed with the children and discussing that with young children would only confuse them. Meghan D.

by baby12 on 2/11/2013 3:28:44 PM

The whole point that the LGBT community is trying to get across is that no matter who you love, everyone is nothing but a human being! This goes against everything they've been working towards. It is teaching kids that gay is not okay and it kind of makes me want to injure someone.

by talster on 2/11/2013 3:07:18 PM

This is terrible. It's basically saying that it's not okay for a kid to be gay. I think that it's our choice, and that it's wrong to tell a kid that they don't have a choice.

by puddinface7 on 2/11/2013 1:34:14 PM

I think that this law is perfectly fine! Discussing things such as what being Gay is can only confuse children.

by Emiegal on 2/11/2013 1:13:36 PM

That's awful!!! It doesn't matter if you're gay or strait... Why would they need to make a big deal out of it. Just because a person is attracted to someone of the same gender doesn't mean it's a bad thing. They're still people!!! That is just sick!!! =P

by music191 on 2/11/2013 12:46:22 PM