AN HOUR AGO Are you #TeamTaylor or #TeamKaty? Read the facts behind this alleged feud: http://t.co/9wqZwLoKeY #GLgossip

2 HOURS AGO Who knew, right? But *so* good! RT @katie_k1265: @girlslifemag your magazine is amazing thanks for the bananas and ketchup recipe

2 HOURS AGO So...um...is it Friday yet?

COMMENTS

How to fall in love with your least favorite class

No matter how awesome your electives are or how kooky your Shakespeare teacher is, we know there’s at least one black hole of boredom plopped...

MOD MOD MOD!!!
Okay, so in band class, I'm first chair clarinet. (Yay!) I LOVE playing my clarinet. So, my comcert is next week and I'm freaking out! I'm playing a 'Safe and Sound' solo. Whenever I get on stage for a band concert, my nerves take over. I forget how to play notes and I shake and mess up. Quite a bit. Please help! How can I get over my nerves? I've been told that I play the song beautifully and perfect. But I feel like I can't do that next week! Please help! How can I play just like I can at home?? Thanks! <3 (Sorry it's so long!) <33

Hey girlie, just keep practicing at home. If you know the solo by heart and it comes second nature to you then you can't mess it up on stage. Take a few deep breaths before you start to play and relax your muscles to fight off nerves.

Lauren T.

by Jaime98766 on 5/13/2013 7:43:34 PM

My best friend moved away a long time ago and my other besties are in another school (I see them in my swim team). I trying to find a group of friends that I'll click with, but there are only three classes/ groups of girls. There's the girls in my class, and they're sporty and kind of self-oriented. Then there's the laugh-a-lot, popular girls, and I tried being with them, and they're really nice, but we don't have that sort of chemistry. And finally, there's the mean, wannabe group, who is just NOT an option. I don't know what to do! I just want a group of okay friends! Help!

Hey girl, instead of choosing an overall group, try identifying nice, fun, respectful people you like and want to befriend.  Check out this helpful post: "How to make friends by lunch-- really!"  Instead of joining or keeping with a certain clique, go for individuals you think would be good friends.  Good luck!

Karin E.

by thedaydreamer on 4/1/2013 12:38:34 PM

Mod Mod Mod I am stuck taking Spanish my Sophmore and Junior year! The last time I took Spanish was in seventh grade!! It was a semester course and I got a C both quarters!!! If I ever decide to go to a four year college I need at least two years! How can I make sure that I do well and excel? Also I already turned in my scheduling for next year and I have chorus, gym and a half year study hall. But the problem is is that I feel that I really need a full year study hall! I always use it for homework,studying and finishing tests. My option is to drop chorus which I really love and take personal finance on the other half of gym. Then put a full yeat study hall in place of chorus. I don't know if personal finance would be too much work for my sophmore year. And if I dropped chorus I wouldn't really have a fun class! I don't know what to do! Please help! Thanks sooo much!

hey! does your school offer peer tutoring? If so i would highly recommend getting someone to tutor you in spanish. When I was in school I never wanted a tutor because I thought it would mean admitting that I was bad in a subject (math). Now I really wish I'd gotten one because I could have used the extra help, and there's nothing wrong with working through work with someone else's help. It can be so useful! Hmm tough call on the classes. From what you've told me i think you should take chorus and go with a half-year study hall. You still have 2 years left, why not take chorus? I would advise strongly that you take personal finance another year though. That was possibly the most important info I learned in school in terms of preparing for life after school. good luck!

Helen S.

by 15hayhay on 3/14/2013 3:38:33 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Me and my friend had this journal we swapped in between classes and my teacher took it up. And she READ IT. And I went to get my journal after school but she said its hers now and that she was going to decipher it and bring it to the assistant principal (who really likes me) and send copies home. I am so scared, I don't want to have to face the teacher I insulted and I feel terrible because she never did anything personally to me I'm new at my school and I was trying to fit in but I was mean and rude in the process.

Hey girl, even though it's tough, it's best to talk with the teacher you insulted.  If you don't feel comfortable apologizing in person, try writing her a hand-written note and then following up with her.  After you speak with her, you could also approach the assistant principal and ask for their help, after again apologizing for what you did.  Best of luck, chica.

Karin E.

by bluelagoon244 on 2/28/2013 7:32:34 AM

Take tons of notes!!! It makes you pay attention and think beyond what the subject and keeps you alert even in the most boring early morning classes!!!Smile

by summergirl5683 on 2/19/2013 9:23:40 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
so in the beginning of the school year i did really well in science and also in most of the second quarter. Its the third quarter and im doing horrible! I asked my teacher for extra credit and she said my grade was fine. I study but i cant remember the material when im in class. Any suggestions?

Hey girlie,

If you can't do extra credit, maybe you could ask your teacher for tips on how to remember the material better. She'll be impressed at your dedication! You could also try setting up a study group to see if that helps.

Meghan D.

by alison99 on 2/18/2013 8:48:56 PM

MOD I'm a freshmen in high school and there's a group of mean girls that I've known since elementary and they've always been soo mean and this year they've gotten meaner to me and I can't handle it anymore one of my friends already transferred because of them and I want to transfer too but my mom doesn't want me to. But I want to transfer sooo bad I don't want to have to deal with them for the rest of high school and see them get everything they want how can I convince her to let me transfer??

Hey girl, that's a tough sitch.  Sit down with your mom and calmly tell her how you feel and why you want to transfer.  If that doesn't work, ask her to help you improve your school life.  Identify ways to avoid the mean girls.  Talk with your adviser/counselor and see if you can take classes at different times than these girls.  Surround yourself with positive peers and friends.  You got this.  Best of luck, chica!

Karin E.

by FigureSkater08 on 2/18/2013 8:50:19 AM

Mod mod mod
My friend asked me to a sleepover at a hotel with 6 other girls. We would go to the mall near there (without parents) and then go back to the hotel for the rest of the night. The problem is that my mom won't let me go. She is always telling me to be more responsible, and she makes me do a lot of chores to prove it. But now she's telling me I'm not responsible enough to go with them. How can I convince her that I am responsible enough?

Hey girlie,

There's probably not enough time between now and the party to do anything too dramatic to show your responsibility, so maybe you could work out a compromise with your mom, like that you could go to the mall and the hotel but not spend the night, or that you could go if you checked in with her every few hours or if a parent was at the mall. You could also suggest that your mom talk to your friend's mom about safety while you're there so she will feel more comfortable with you going. Good luck!

Meghan D.

by C4ya on 2/15/2013 10:45:34 PM

Hey! Random question!! I'm reading all these stories and everyone's like: MOD MOD MOD!! Idk what MOD is!!! What is mod? And on the side it says,'Blah Blah is modding' Please tell me what it means!! Thnx

Hey Chica! I'm a Mod, it's short for moderator. If you have a question type MODMODMOD across the top and one of GL's moderators will answer you.

Hannah H.

Hannah H.

by rotfl:brbttyl:) on 2/14/2013 4:53:38 PM

OK, this is kinda a random question, but for science I need to make a homemade water gun. It needs to be powered with air pressure and water pressure. I'm looking for vids but they're all water bottles with holes in them. I need something more scientific. Any ideas. THX!

Hey Girl, sorry I can't help you. I've never made a water gun before.

Hannah H.

Hannah H.

by ColosalMascara on 2/14/2013 3:59:37 PM

Hey girlies, please check out both of these awesome clubs:

"Fashion, Hair, and more! Oh my!"
and
"It's all about fashion and beauty!"

these are perfect for you if you love fashion,hair,nails,makeup, and more!

Can't wait to see you there! Thanks <3

by karasinski on 2/14/2013 9:57:43 AM

MOD! MOD! MOD!
What does it mean when I get really bad stomach pains and side cramps all the time after I eat?

Hey girlie, if you always get them you should probably see a doctor. Pay attention to what you're eating when you get them and what seems to trigger the pains.

Lauren T.

by Megan1220 on 2/13/2013 8:15:35 PM

MOD MOD MOD My friends were hanging out and they did something really stupid. What should I do?

Hey girlie, if they just did it and you think they're acting funny then you want to get help for them. They might get in trouble, but calling parents to help you make a call on whether or not you need medical help is best to make sure that they're alright.  If they did it earlier and seem fine now then they should be fine as long as they don't it again.

Lauren T.

by -strawberry13 on 2/13/2013 8:12:44 PM

I am afraid that I am a bully. I am afraid my parents think so too because i try hard to look good and don't want to look "lame". All my friends are really good people but it is a clique and its very judgmental. I do hang out with other (not in my group)but when I start talking about other people they say i am being mean. Am I a bully? If so, how do I stop it?

Hey girlie, talking about other people is natural. But you want to be careful about it. Pay attention to how much you're talking about others and what you're saying. Make an effort to cut back on negative comments to help break the habit.

Lauren T.

by superstarxoxo1 on 2/13/2013 7:44:27 PM

I absolutely CAN'T STAND social studies.....I want to know about what CAN happen, instead of what already did. I must say, the Civil War isn't exciting. Or interesting. Or even closely remote to fun. But its bearable because I like the guy that sits behind me!!! We flirt and talk the whole time Smile I kinda look forward to it now!

by actress12345 on 2/13/2013 6:23:50 PM

by funnybunny661 on 2/13/2013 4:35:51 PM

Some of the advice is really good. I think you can end up liking a class if you have the right friends. In one of my classes I didnt have any of my normal friends and I hated it until I made a few new ones and now all is good.

by fashionqn on 2/13/2013 1:12:40 PM

I don't think this'll work if your math teacher doesn't teach anything, especially when you ask for extra-help. I am currently teaching myself how to make the angles of a triangle with a compas... but it's working.

by angel29 on 2/13/2013 8:43:35 AM

MOD omg i HATE social studies! my teacher is the worst teacher EVER! she is mean 2 only certain people and total buddy buddy 2 others! im one of the quieter kids so the one time i raise my hand 2 give an answer that no one else knows SHE FORGETS MY NAME! and we r half way thru the 3rd quarter!!!!!!! plus she always drops huge tests on us with only 1 days notice!

Hey girl, keep on raisin' that hand and your teacher will be sure to get it right, sooner or later.  Best of luck studying!

Karin E.

by Kate'sguitar101 on 2/13/2013 7:33:23 AM

i hate my classes >__<~!! and i can't switch out of them plus i'm one of the loners in that class ._. my friends all ditched me >.<

by islandgirl23 on 2/13/2013 12:09:15 AM

Hey GL gals check out my club Middle School Chica we've got tons of advice on middle school!

by tani21♪ on 2/12/2013 11:10:22 PM

by tani21♪ on 2/12/2013 11:10:05 PM

I doodle in class all the time!! Even in a class i like ! But i doodle a lot in my math class. I eish pre-algebra wasn't do hard that makes bored to the core! The only time its fun is when my crazy teacher does crazy thing especially when he acts strange!

by Purple_purple on 2/12/2013 11:05:57 PM

Hey GL girlies! Check out my club Middle School Chicas just click on my profile, look at my clubs and join!

by tani21♪ on 2/12/2013 10:53:47 PM

I don't know of this is mean or not but I get seriously bored in a class I'll either doodle or think of what I would change from other persons outfits. It's quite entertaining lol Smile

by YouCanCallMeCat on 2/12/2013 8:42:26 PM