12 HOURS AGO RT @NiallsBlueEyes9: Thank you @girlslifemag I got my book :) YAY! :) pic.twitter.com/2Yrh9pCq98

12 HOURS AGO How do you feel about smoking? Sound off on the survey: http://t.co/DYrp6lJmWF

15 HOURS AGO 20 ways to flirt with your crush: http://t.co/M6GN4Lfh2r

COMMENTS

7 things to say (and do) to keep your parents from worrying about you

Life is way, way easier when Mom and Dad aren’t constantly hounding you about one of their totally off-base ideas about who you’re hanging out...

MOD MOD
My mom lets me hang out with my friends at school alone but she won't let me walk to the store or movie theatre just up the street I got really mad at her about it one time and she grounded me, she says its because her mom didn't care what she did and she doesn't want me to turn out like her. I'm 12 and all of my friends are always asking to go get slurpees but I can't go I need help summers almost here and one of my friends is going to high school so I wanna spend tine with her but i can't
P.S. all my friends are always making fun of me not wearing a bra I do need one but my mom said that I don't I have some but they don't.fit me and my mom aren't close like I wouldn't ask her if I could shave so idk what in gonna do

hey! The tough truth of being a kid is that you can't get your parental units to do anything. You can however, try to open a dialogue with her about your feelings. Explain your side to her in a non-whiney, calm manner. Don't interrupt her or get angry even if she interrupts you or gets angry. That's unfair, but since she has all the power, it's in your best interest not to antagonize her. As in, you'll be more likely to get what you want if you are really, super mature. If she still says no, accept her decision gracefully. If she sees that you're not going to throw a fit for not getting your way, she'll be more likely to listen next time you want something. good luck!

Helen S.

by Squidney25872587 on 6/6/2013 7:52:15 PM

My dad grew up in India in a really small house with his parents and three siblings, so he really values family alot and he is always saying how we should be grateful for our stuff. The problem is, he doesn't let me go to sleepovers. He said its because anything could happen, and he brought up how innocent that dude who sent a ricin letter to obama looked. He lets me do whatever I want except that. I tried to talk to him about it, but he said that sleepovers are such a small part of life and he brought up how kids in Syria are starving and living on the streets and how I should be greatful for having a roof over my head food on the table and family. I am greatful for those things, but I think he is overreacting alot. He has a lock on my computer so the internet shuts down at 9:00, even on weekends, and my ipod has a lock so I cant get apps that have an age rating older than 9 (I"ll be 13 soon). How do i talk to him without sounding like a whiny teenage girl with hormones?

hey! So it sounds like the issue is that your dad wants you to prove you're trustworthy. I know that you are, and you know that you are, and chances are he does too, he just wants you to show it and earn that trust and respect. The key to talking to parents without whining is just not to get upset. It's hard because sometimes they get upset and you'll naturally react the same way, but remaining calm even in a heated argument is the way to show him that you're ready for more adult responsibilities. good luck!

Helen S.

by mayanunna on 5/4/2013 3:03:08 PM

MOD MOD MOD! So my mom is one of those overprotective parents that wont let me go anywhere with my friends. I'm 14 I think I can go to the mall or movies with my friends. Its embarrassing to see my friends at the mall hanging out with each other while I'm stuck with my mom. How do I convince her to let me be free?

Hey girlie, start small. Ask her if you can do something like go get ice cream with your friends so you won't be gone for long. If you want to see a movie, maybe she can drive your friends and see a different movie at the same time. It'll take some time, but when she sees that you're being safe and careful with your freedom, you'll gain more.

Lauren T.

by ilove_nerds143 on 4/21/2013 6:19:51 PM

ThanksSmile It's officially 33A in juniors size (is there a difference?) and my mom and I are going to check some out tomorrow. Thanks so much for answering!!! Do you know if their is a difference between juniors and womens cup sizes? just wonderingSmile Because everyplace I've seen seems to have a bit of difference in the cup sizes (AA, A, B, and so on) Also, does anybody know some good places to get good bras for almost twele year olds? Size 33A. I'm going with my mom tomorrow so MOD MOD MODSmile thanks!!!!!!!

Hey girl, there shouldn't be a difference in bra sizes between juniors and women's sizes.  However, different bra brands may fit a little bit differently, so you can't really know if one fits correctly until you try it on.  Your mom will have good ideas about places to buy bras.  Any store that sells women's clothes almost always sells bras too.  Good luck!

Karin E.

by lil'beautylover27 on 4/2/2013 2:01:21 AM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD please help!!!!
ok so i'm eleven and wear a training bra (large). I have small boobs. They don't show through a shirt or anything. The training bra is a bit tight. I measured and stuff around my chest and found that it totaled to 32A. That can't be right! My mom says I def. don't need a cup bra. So what's going on?????
MOD MOD MOD PLEASE HELP!
from
Helpless 32A

Hey girlie, maybe you measured it wrong. Measure where your band sits. Add 4 inches to an even number and five inches to an odd one. This will be your band size. Now measure around the largest part of your chest and round that number to the nearest whole number. Your cup size will be the difference between the two numbers. If there's no difference you're a AA or if there's a difference of 1 inch you're an A.

Lauren T.

by lil'beautylover27 on 4/1/2013 7:24:39 PM

My parents trust me with friends, but they'll never trust me online. I get an hour of online time, and my parents have to be able to see my screen at all times. WHY D:

by snoodle9 on 3/27/2013 3:16:23 PM

I swear, it feels like my parents will never trust me. :L

by krazykotabug on 3/22/2013 10:42:51 PM

thank you so much, moderator Helen S!

by potterjay on 3/22/2013 9:22:12 PM

lol when I ask my mom for homework help she sighs and says she doesn't know how to do it. My mom loves doing stuff with me but she does not like helping me at all with my homework, especially math. My parents pretty much know everything that is going on in my life and they don't worry but awesome tips!!! Some of my friends could use these!!!

by cupcakecutie325 on 3/21/2013 10:56:47 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD!
so my name is Katie and I don't like it.
I am English, but I make myself
have an American accent because
I live in the USA. But I have
never liked the way Americans
say my name. So I want to change
it to, "Kay." I'm starting high
school next year so I figured
it would be the perfect opportunity.
How do I get the people that
already know me as Katie
to call me Kay?
thank you so much!

hey! well people don't usually respond well if you were to ask them to call you something they aren't used to. my advice is to get new friends to call you kay (introduce yourself that way to people and tell your teachers to call you that) and then eventually your old friends will catch on with out you ever bringing it up to them Smile

Helen S.

by potterjay on 3/21/2013 7:40:55 PM

by nazirah817 on 3/21/2013 6:13:50 PM

so glad you posted this, i have been having privacy issues with my parents lately. thanks!

by alicia1998 on 3/21/2013 12:41:48 AM