AN HOUR AGO 5 ways to remix your salad routine: http://t.co/ritxTtorOn

2 HOURS AGO 5 furry friends you need to follow on Instagram ASAP: http://t.co/PVxAb5RkaE

3 HOURS AGO Snapbacks are makin' a killer comeback: http://t.co/39LINFW5OT

COMMENTS

GL goes to Washington: What's the deal with Prop 8?

Yesterday, the Supreme Court heard oral arguments to determine the constitutionality of Proposition 8, or Prop 8, a California ban on same-sex marriage. Thousands of...

I respect everyone who say gay marriage should be legal. I'm Catholic, and I hope you respect my opinion. The Catholic church does not allow gay marriage, nor do we support it, but we certainly believe in respecting everyone, including gays. I'm just thinking, if children shouldn't know what gay means, would it be appropriate for them to see gay couples in public? I think legalizing it would support even more gay couples.
One comment asked why does this matter? Isn't it good enough to love someone? It's not like you have to marry because there are many couples live together who are not married, right? While that is true, marriage commits a couple for life. I believe a couple lives together unmarried because they don't want to feel the commitments. It's much easier to just break up than divorce and go through all this paperwork, etc. Today most married couples end up divorcing. Doesn't this all sound a little twisted?All throughout history, marriage celebrated a couples love forever...

by alexia_directioner<3 on 3/27/2013 11:25:27 PM

DO YOU LOVE DAVID ARCHULETA? Please join this fan club. It would honestly mean the world to me: http://www.girlslife.com/Club.aspx?id=11905

by myfatsquirrel on 3/27/2013 11:24:22 PM

@HockeyLuver That is true, you can love someone and not be married. But there are many rights that only legally married couples can have, like receiving specific benefits in government programs or next-of-kin status in case of emergencies (Meaning they can make end of life decisions for their spouse), and many of us believe that these rights should be available to same-sex couples. I'm 14 and I support marriage equality wholeheartedly, and I think my friends should be able to marry whoever they want since everyone should make their own decisions when it comes to their love lives, and we have no right to interfere with that. And there's the fact that religion does NOT belong in politics and the church and state should be separate. However I think GL should be more careful about posting such stories in the since so many people feel so strongly about it, and disagreements can often get pretty ugly for a site geared to such a young audience.

by crystal904 on 3/27/2013 10:52:15 PM

The Bible also states that everyone is equal and no one is better than another. So yeah...
And also, it's just plain D-I-S-C-R-I-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N. I hate to break it to you (not really). I mean, I don't believe in the Mormon religion, but that doesn't mean I won't treat them like dirt or anything like that. Can't we just all leave each other alone? Why do we have to fight it? Why must we all interfere in each other's lives? But most importantly, quit it with the "God hates you" stuff.
I'm sorry that I believe in equality for everyone. (Not really)

Refer to "Imagine" by John Lennon. He'll explain everything...

by fungirl123 on 3/27/2013 10:02:09 PM

I don't understand why people care who marries who! People should be able to marry who they love. The bible also says people shouldn't get divorced, how many people has that stop?? We need to get rid of prop 8 forever!!!!

by alamedaelizabeth on 3/27/2013 10:00:35 PM

I support gay marriage. I don't understand why people think that it's such a big deal, like, ooh, that kids gay, eww! Like no! Love is love. Last time I checked, love isn't a crime

by Foodiejr99 on 3/27/2013 9:34:42 PM

While I believe we should all voice our opinions, I'm really disgusted with how people (especially the media) seem to be totally biased. I mean really, when was the last time you heard a popular teen celebrity OPPOSE gay marriage? As a Christian myself, I believe the Bible. Although it does say gay relationships are wrong, it also says to LOVE people and not to judge. I'm tired of hearing how conservatives ( those that are Christians) are snobby rich people that make judgements. A true Christian does not judge people! We are told by Jesus to help the poor and needy and love everyone, something Christians aren't known for anymore. Frown I'd just like to see a little more respect for us Christians in the media instead of looking hateful, that's all.

by AHorseOfCourse on 3/27/2013 9:31:25 PM

I'm a Roman Catholic and I still believe in equality! What I don't like, is that people automatically assume I'm against gays, abortion, etc. just because I believe in God. They call US closeminded when really, THEY are! I mean, do unto others as you have them do unto you. If we don't shove our religion down your throats, then there should be no reason for you to shove what you believe in down our throats. For me, it doesn't matter what race, religion or sexuality you are; if you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you.

by Blushing-Beauty on 3/27/2013 9:31:24 PM

I really don't think this should have been posted on here. This is a very biased report in that it doesn't talk about both side equally. As I took it, this was suppose to be more informational than someone's opinion. I also think, whatever your beliefs are, that there are young girls on here that wot understand this and it's not very age appropriate for some of them. Also, I think this article is just asking for people to start arguing, so much has been brought up over this issue and we as citizens are seeing it everywhere. Why bring a serious issue on to GL's site, that is usually so lighthearted and fun, when people on both sides of the issue are already so fired up?? I totally respect everyone's opinion, I myself am not sure what I believe, but this isn't something to bring onto girlslife.com in my opinion. Especially an argument that doesn't equally address both sides.

by Pifi1997 on 3/27/2013 9:09:46 PM

What I don't understand is why something like this even matters we have more important matters like the fiscal cliff and terrorism. Really I think our minds should be on those matters rather than same sex marriage, I mean if the people really love each other why do they have to be married, isn't loving each other enough, a lot of couples that are male and female don't get married but are couples for a long time so why does it matter?

by HockeyLuver on 3/27/2013 8:54:20 PM