8 HOURS AGO From patient princess to spoiled brat, how demanding are you? Take the #quiz and see: http://t.co/esCqSBDnyT

9 HOURS AGO "My girls say he's a cheater...should I believe them?" http://t.co/rnIcn2ddgJ

10 HOURS AGO #tbt to that time we had an ice cream + gossip sesh with @rydelR5 // #r5family #r5 pic.twitter.com/KXTAl9aBVa

COMMENTS

Armed guards in schools: Thumbs up or thumbs down?

In the approximately 100 days that have passed since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Connecticut, we’ve talked a lot about gun control. Now...

I think that having police officers in schools is a waste of time energy and money. School shootings aren't very likely to happen and when they do, yes they are tragic, they are primarily done by people who need mental help. My school has a guard and if a parent wants to drop an item off for their child or pick them up from school the officer has to unlock the doors get their ID and you have to have a background check done to do this once very simple task. When there isn't anyone there he sits there, with being paid, for 8 -10 hours they are mostly on their Ipads or Facebook the WHOLE time.

by hotchocolate808 on 4/7/2013 5:05:53 PM

I think that more protection for schools is very necessary at this time. But guns don't kill people, people kill people. I think that less drastic measures should be considered. I believe that in order to control school violence, guns should not be involved. There should be less threatening ways of providing the needed protection and creating a safe environment for students as well as adults in the school.

by cuppycakes1056 on 4/7/2013 12:48:55 PM

I think having an armed guard in schools is a great idea. First response is the most important aspect of dealing with school shootings, or any crime for that matter. My school has a resource officer from the police department. The high school in my town has three. We have never had any threats at the middle school and the only threat at the high school was dealt with by the officers before anyone was hurt. The armed adult would go through the same training as someone getting a concealed carry permit. I think an armed guard would be able to handle the situation or at least control it until the police get there.

by sidneyricerules18 on 4/6/2013 11:53:32 PM

@513520. Not trying to hate or anything, but have you ever had anyone die in your family? Because I have, and I have had friends die, and I am extremely insulted by your casualty to the issue. If it was you or a family member, you would probably NOT be getting over it anytime soon.

by kenzi143 on 4/6/2013 10:17:01 PM

For those saying that it's too violent: Imagine the lives that would be saved if there were armed guards at Sandy Hook. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and these are times when we need safety in schools. The other day a kid from my school started beating up other kids in the hallway (he had some problems and got very violent) and if it weren't for the guard in our school he could have seriously injured the students involved.

by kenzi143 on 4/6/2013 10:14:27 PM

Hey chicas!!! You should come check out my club "Total Princess" I really hope you join!!! Smile

by cupcakecutie325 on 4/6/2013 7:59:49 PM

I think we need to protect the kids in schools, but I don't think this is the way to do it Helen S.

by luve2cheer on 4/6/2013 4:04:03 PM

I would only place armed guards in schools that needed it. If they decide to place them in all schools though, that guard better be trusted and not use the gun to kill students themselves.

by myfatsquirrel on 4/6/2013 9:37:24 AM

I have mixed feelings about requiring schools to have armed guards. On the one hand, yes they may be able to prevent something terrible from happening, but on the other you're always going to have someone with a gun inside the school, which is kind of a scary thought. What if the person who is armed to protect the students ends up using their weapon to hurt them instead? Also, I'm not sure how effective it would be if they're up against someone who has a semi-automatic weapon.

by supersingershannon on 4/5/2013 11:08:58 PM

What happened at the elementary school was AWFUL
those kids were so little but I don't think their should be a armed guard
I think schools should have fewer entrances bullet proof windows
and doors also a electric fence what happened at that school was so bad
imagine how the parentes must feel they won't ever be able to spend Christmas
with her children again or celebrate their birthdays with them

by redvelvetluv on 4/5/2013 10:21:44 PM