2 HOURS AGO LOL your way to flat abs with cute 'n' punny workout tanks: http://t.co/gbVy2dpG7Q

2 HOURS AGO Go #BTS with serious style—grab 5 fab @theduckbrand DIYs right here: http://t.co/pgIbeXHHf3 #ducktape

3 HOURS AGO Hey #DMV divas, snag awesome internship advice from GL on Aug 5 at the @InternQueen party in DC! Click here to RSVP: http://t.co/6XowTqoaUW

COMMENTS

Armed guards in schools: Thumbs up or thumbs down?

In the approximately 100 days that have passed since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Connecticut, we’ve talked a lot about gun control. Now...

I don't think we should hire anyone else. Just put all the teachers and staff through gun classes. They should also be able to have a conciled weapon at all times.This would be a lot safer and easier.

by pariskitty11 on 5/2/2013 9:16:27 PM

Adding armed guards in school would be pricey but it keeps us and all the other kids safe and parents don't have to worry about their kindergartener getting shot at school.

by volleyball rules on 4/29/2013 5:01:59 PM

Sounds too pricey. Also, suppose someone breaks through the guards; what would happen to everyone?

by Radieal on 4/21/2013 7:11:19 PM

Hi everyone, I live in sandy hook and was at the high school at the time of the shooting. for those of you that didn't know the shooter came to the high school first and was going to come in there but he saw that there was a police car of the guard we have there and decided to go to a different school. taking that extra precaution can save lives and not having a guard is potentially a dangerous move. making change is the most important thing we can do and you do not want to have to go through what we did. if there is a way you can make a difference please do

by marchingirl1D on 4/20/2013 1:06:47 AM

I LOVE having police officers at my school. It makes me feel so safe. Many people are like "Watch out! It's a cop!" I can't stand it when people say that, because they are here to keep us safe.

by Autumn51 on 4/15/2013 8:45:30 PM

We don't need gun control, we need sociopath control.

by bunnyboo2224 on 4/13/2013 2:17:08 AM

My high school has about 10 or so police officers in it that are armed, and it doesn't bother me. They are mostly there in case any kids cause trouble, which never happens, even though we've got about 4,800 of them to watch, and to direct traffic. I have only seen any in the building once, when he was just walking down the hallway. They don't really do anything guarding-wise. It would make me uncomfortable if we had armed people standing at the entrances, or not just hanging out in their offices, but I really don't care about having these police officers in my school, cause I never really know they're there.

by Bluestar479 on 4/10/2013 8:10:15 PM

I don't believe it is such a good idea.Showing kids that problems are to be solved with violence? Accidents? Suicides? Still, at least the owners of the guns can protect themselves, but for that, better purchase it for yourself as a personal option.

by maeugeniap on 4/9/2013 5:21:54 PM

I think if bad people know there is someone there that could harm them and prevent them going through with their evil crazy thoughts they would think twice about doing it, so sadly I think having someone at school who could stop them would be a big help.

by fashionqn on 4/7/2013 11:27:36 PM

I live in Connecticut and months before Sandy Hook, I WOULD consider having armed guards a waste of time and energy but after seeing close family friends lives become torn apart, I now realize that, like @kenzi143 said, desperate times call for desperate measures. Officers have come to our school every Thursday, I feel more safe and secure.Smile

by olivia192000 on 4/7/2013 6:38:29 PM

I think that having police officers in schools is a waste of time energy and money. School shootings aren't very likely to happen and when they do, yes they are tragic, they are primarily done by people who need mental help. My school has a guard and if a parent wants to drop an item off for their child or pick them up from school the officer has to unlock the doors get their ID and you have to have a background check done to do this once very simple task. When there isn't anyone there he sits there, with being paid, for 8 -10 hours they are mostly on their Ipads or Facebook the WHOLE time.

by hotchocolate808 on 4/7/2013 5:05:53 PM

I think that more protection for schools is very necessary at this time. But guns don't kill people, people kill people. I think that less drastic measures should be considered. I believe that in order to control school violence, guns should not be involved. There should be less threatening ways of providing the needed protection and creating a safe environment for students as well as adults in the school.

by cuppycakes1056 on 4/7/2013 12:48:55 PM

I think having an armed guard in schools is a great idea. First response is the most important aspect of dealing with school shootings, or any crime for that matter. My school has a resource officer from the police department. The high school in my town has three. We have never had any threats at the middle school and the only threat at the high school was dealt with by the officers before anyone was hurt. The armed adult would go through the same training as someone getting a concealed carry permit. I think an armed guard would be able to handle the situation or at least control it until the police get there.

by sidneyricerules18 on 4/6/2013 11:53:32 PM

@513520. Not trying to hate or anything, but have you ever had anyone die in your family? Because I have, and I have had friends die, and I am extremely insulted by your casualty to the issue. If it was you or a family member, you would probably NOT be getting over it anytime soon.

by kenzi143 on 4/6/2013 10:17:01 PM

For those saying that it's too violent: Imagine the lives that would be saved if there were armed guards at Sandy Hook. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and these are times when we need safety in schools. The other day a kid from my school started beating up other kids in the hallway (he had some problems and got very violent) and if it weren't for the guard in our school he could have seriously injured the students involved.

by kenzi143 on 4/6/2013 10:14:27 PM

Hey chicas!!! You should come check out my club "Total Princess" I really hope you join!!! Smile

by cupcakecutie325 on 4/6/2013 7:59:49 PM

I think we need to protect the kids in schools, but I don't think this is the way to do it Helen S.

by luve2cheer on 4/6/2013 4:04:03 PM

I would only place armed guards in schools that needed it. If they decide to place them in all schools though, that guard better be trusted and not use the gun to kill students themselves.

by myfatsquirrel on 4/6/2013 9:37:24 AM

I have mixed feelings about requiring schools to have armed guards. On the one hand, yes they may be able to prevent something terrible from happening, but on the other you're always going to have someone with a gun inside the school, which is kind of a scary thought. What if the person who is armed to protect the students ends up using their weapon to hurt them instead? Also, I'm not sure how effective it would be if they're up against someone who has a semi-automatic weapon.

by supersingershannon on 4/5/2013 11:08:58 PM

What happened at the elementary school was AWFUL
those kids were so little but I don't think their should be a armed guard
I think schools should have fewer entrances bullet proof windows
and doors also a electric fence what happened at that school was so bad
imagine how the parentes must feel they won't ever be able to spend Christmas
with her children again or celebrate their birthdays with them

by redvelvetluv on 4/5/2013 10:21:44 PM

Lol,pinterest! I believe tht if a criminal wants a gun or more ammo then they will do whtever they can to get it whether its against the law or not! so all your doing is hurting the people who want to arm thereselves against the crimanials but I do think an armed guard is a good idea as long as,like pinterest said,they are mentally stable Smile

by asw14 on 4/5/2013 8:56:16 PM

It might be something to consider,if the person is trained and mentally stable.

by pinterest on 4/5/2013 8:42:50 PM

I think we should have bullet proof doors, windows and some sort of security system!!

by sundaygirl on 4/5/2013 8:24:06 PM

people die, people die. get over it.

by 513520cb on 4/5/2013 7:10:11 PM

I think that this isn't the proper security choice.

1. Either training an employee or hiring a professional will cost more for the school.

2. If an armed killer were to come to a school he could shoot the armed guard.

3. Accidents could happen!

4. Shouldn't we lessen the use of guns?

5. It would make kids afraid of going to school.

I think different types security such as:

1. bullet-proof doors, windows, and buildings

2. fewer entrances

3. harder to climb fences

by hbgirl2001 on 4/5/2013 6:49:36 PM

we have a school officer at my high school that is armed..... he is very responsible with both his tazer and his gun and I know it would take a lot to go through him if some one were ever to threaten the student body. Personally, I feel like if you give the gun is in the right hands and a person who is amazingly dedicated to the school, arming that person would be something to consider.

by m.lacovara on 4/5/2013 6:21:30 PM

JUST 4 PRINCIPAL, SECURITY GUARDS, AND MAYBE PEOPLE IN FRONT OFFICE. sorry all caps!!!!!

by bookworm2000 on 4/5/2013 5:37:47 PM

I dont think it's a good idea to have faculty armed. I think maybe hiring somneone just for that would be better. Ever since sandy hook, we have to have doors locked during classes and we started doing lockdown drills. plus, the local police station is sending officers down to keep an eye on things. We have always done bag check and we have to walk through a metal detector before going in. I used to think we had too much security, but my school has gotten two bomb threats in the last six months so my opinion has changed o_o

by mayanunna on 4/5/2013 5:09:06 PM

Not to be rude GL, cause I love you, but whomever is editing the articles online lately aren't doing a good job. Start checking spelling and word usage.

by glass-tears on 4/5/2013 5:00:05 PM

Don't think that's the best, because:
1) You're teaching young people that problems aren´t solved with wits, but with violence.
2) Besides the probabilities of needing guns on schools, think about : kids can rob it, suicide is easier to aproach (think, "Hey, I want to die. Mrs.Teacher has a gun, I'll take it and kill myself.) Also, in a danger situation, the person can provoke an accident with the gun, or the killer can take it and use it against them.
3) Violence is NOT the solution.

by maeugeniap on 4/5/2013 4:49:28 PM

I believe that the school guards shouldn´t have guns:
1) You're giving the example to children and our future generation that problems have to be solved, not with wits, a gift we humans have, but with violence, like animals.
2) Don't you think that the probabilities of someone really needing a gun to protect him/herself on a school are really low? And even if something happened, either the person with the gun with enter in shock and an accident could happen, the person wouldn't get it on time, or the bad people could use them in their behalf, taking them from the guard.
3) Violence is NOT the solution to the problem.
4) Even if you get higher protection in school, the killers would get a way to get around, perphaps more violent and killing more people.

by maeugeniap on 4/5/2013 4:39:12 PM

YES I think all schools should have armed guards!!! I'm not for guns AT ALL..and really frown upon people who own guns for the sake of protection. But honestly, after everything that's happened I wouldn't feel safe at school if there weren't armed guards by the front doors (which there are at my school). Isn't it worth having one or two people responsibly carrying a gun for the sake of protection as apposed to chancing someone coming into the building carrying a gun for the sake of killing people?!??! Sorry, this is just a no brainer for me..but just my opinion of course.

by maggie183 on 4/5/2013 3:39:58 PM

That's awesome

by Chicwithblondhair101 on 4/5/2013 1:01:36 PM

Yes! I love this idea! It makes me feel more secure rather that having a 56 year old security guard who lets anyone in and is barely at her desk (yes, we have HER).

by kikikim8 on 4/5/2013 11:55:36 AM

if guns are supposed to make us be safer, then America should be the safest place in the world. But, it isnt. Maybe instead of pushnig more arms for safety, have less. I understand how security guards should be armed, but any teacher or secretary? SOmeone could go through their stuff adn find the weapon and use it. Too much could go wrong.

by N3rdyRand0mn3ss on 4/5/2013 9:49:00 AM

I think that's good that the staff can defend themselves. Let's just hope they don't get crazy one day, and, well, you know.

by bookworm2000 on 4/5/2013 9:40:29 AM

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. We have a armed guard for each cluster of schools on our school system, so there are many armed guards. We call them School Resource Officers. They carry around guns and tazers. If we didn't have them, the whole county would be chaotic. So ..."thumbs up" I guess. I mean armed guards aren't that big of a deal.

~Alex<3

by alexandrah99 on 4/5/2013 9:23:40 AM

If it's for saftey purposes only, I say go for it! My school has a lockdown drill,but, armed guards might work better.

by fashionfreak802 on 4/5/2013 8:17:21 AM

by Emilicious on 4/5/2013 12:10:02 AM

I believe it would be a good idea for just principals. If every teacher ha.d one there could be more trouble than what it's worth to have it

by natdtanner on 4/5/2013 12:06:32 AM