AN HOUR AGO 5 ways to remix your salad routine: http://t.co/ritxTtorOn

2 HOURS AGO 5 furry friends you need to follow on Instagram ASAP: http://t.co/PVxAb5RkaE

3 HOURS AGO Snapbacks are makin' a killer comeback: http://t.co/39LINFW5OT

COMMENTS

Merida's makeover: Big deal or not so much?

Scottish lass Merida from last summer's Pixar smash is finally joining the ranks of the Disney Princesses. But before she joins the queue, evidently she...

this matters so much. the new design is really terrible, as it shows young girls that they need to be feminine and sexy in order to be successful, even though they don't. telling the girls that will make them unnecessarily self-conscious and is really not the way to go. if we want to raise strong, independent, and confident women, we need to show them that they do NOT have to look perfect in order to do well in life.

by dilquius on 5/14/2013 8:33:38 PM

thanks Florence!!!

by 513520cb on 5/12/2013 3:43:33 PM

What? I definitely prefer the "Before".
The "After" one makes Disney portray the one "perfect" image of a "Princess". But that's not Merida. Merida is bold and BRAVE! I honestly don't see a "problem" that needs to be changed!

***
Hey, girlie! Looking for a circle of fashionable chicas that are always there to help you with your fashion decisions? Looking for friends that will support your personal style and keep you up-to-date with the latest trends? Join the Chichi Circle! Join for exclusive "Chichi Cheats" ;)

by Shadow.Fall691 on 5/10/2013 8:06:46 AM

I have a a sister with Down Syndrome, and for our scince fair, i explained what it is.My BGF loved it and said he knew all about being tesed because he is dytslexic.but my so called friend and his group came over, and laughed at how they looked. at MY sister. I started yelling at them, Alot, and than after they leave, he says he wasn't doing anything. i got mad and told him "whatever leave me and my sister alone,jerk". I thought he got the hint, except he has been trying too be nice too me all day like nothing happened! Should I forgive him and his group, just him, or forgwet them?

Hey girlie. I don't think you should forget him completely; it seems like he does feelsorry about what he did. At the same time, what he did was mean, and he can't expect you to cave just yet. Don't break off your friendship entirely, but let things cool for a bit by avoiding him and his group for a while. Also, don't be afraid to let him know exactly how much he hurt you and your sister by acting the way he did. If he really realizes that what he did was wrong, and he cares enough about your friendship, he'll be able to understand why it is that you're upset/avoiding him.
Florence N.

by 513520cb on 5/9/2013 9:08:52 PM

I actually kind of like both. I mean the Before Merida is way better, but all the Disney Princesses have to turn dressy and classy eventually. So i guess it was Merida's turn.

by Queenbee4ever on 5/9/2013 7:59:38 PM

I like the before way better. I like Meredith because she is not a princess that needs a prince to save her. In a way, she saves herself. In the after pictures, they make her look a little too feminine. I also think that it is pretty much the same as the before picture. I do think they should have kept her bow and arrows though.

by turtle295 on 5/9/2013 7:58:47 PM

I like the "before" so much better! The "after" is so fake, and since in the movie she is supposed to be wild it doesn't fit her character at all!

by emtheartist on 5/9/2013 7:11:23 PM

The original Merida is herself... if there wasn't a "problem" with Merida, they wouldn't have made the changes. They made Merida skinnier and her hips wider, and gave her a brighter dress, acting like clothes is what makes someone stand out. I'm outraged they made this change, because it's sending the wrong message to little girls. Besides, I loved old Merida!

by ME11579 on 5/9/2013 6:24:09 PM

I think it's fine having them change her, it would most likely harder to to make her hair as wild a it is in the movie. Plus, they could always make her multiple outfits like they always do. Besides, the Princess' outfits in the main picture together are always fancier then they are usually dressed.

by kittycat99kmb on 5/9/2013 5:05:51 PM

There's literally no difference. Her hair actually looks quite the same, she isn't revealing anymore skin, and her dress actually hasn't changed; she's just wearing the one she used for the archery competition in the movie. Mirada is drawn in a slightly more manga (read: Japanese/anime) style, so she looks a bit older than usual. Seriously... It's no big deal.

by LittleUsagiTewi on 5/9/2013 1:21:51 PM