4 HOURS AGO Why you should be rockin' a super cute sun hat this season: http://t.co/6iUJMHrLzm

7 HOURS AGO Don't worry; shaving your arms will not make your hair grow back like a sasquach: http://t.co/xbnHVhvheI

8 HOURS AGO What would you do if your mom blogged all of your private (& majorly embarrassing) moments for the world to see? http://t.co/CFJM3Sv1B4

COMMENTS

Merida's makeover: Big deal or not so much?

Scottish lass Merida from last summer's Pixar smash is finally joining the ranks of the Disney Princesses. But before she joins the queue, evidently she...

I don't think she was "sexualized" at all-but I do think it was stupid to change how Merida (and al the other Disney preincesses, sadly) looked. The original looked a lot better and more detailed. They should've stuck with the way the animater designed it.

by soccacheer on 5/7/2013 8:12:59 PM

I agree, I can't believe how they changed Merida. I actually liked her because she was that one disney princess who wasn't airbrushed or anything, she used to be careless, free, happy to be herself. This is not a good example for young ones. I want my mom to sign that petition. Smooth Disney.

by funnyali123 on 5/7/2013 7:59:34 PM

I understand the animators wanting to give more attention to the Princesses, but do they really have to make them more perfect then they already are???!!! I mean,I loved the princesses even without their makeovers. In my opinion, the animators are making the princesses MORE perfect than they NEED to be. Little girls look up to these princesses, and do we really want them to grow up thinking that THEY HAVE to be perfect just because a princess was?? I don't think so. Merida's makeover is not too 'flashy' if you know what I mean, in my opinion anyway.

by PunkinPie2499 on 5/7/2013 7:53:54 PM

I think this is kind of a big deal. Disney should be teaching girls that there's more to them than their appearance. Merida was awesome because she was different from all the Disney princess characters. She wasn't a girl who just cared about her looks. But this change in appearance is sending a message to girls that it's their looks that matter more than anything else, which is definitely not a signal we should be sending to girls. There's already way too much pressure to look a certain way, and by changing Merida into someone who looks just like all the other Disney princesses, Disney is simply perpetuating that message.

by supersingershannon on 5/7/2013 7:48:29 PM

All Disney princesses are skinny, pretty, have perfect skin... etc, etc. It's stupid that they are supposedly perfect just because of how they look. I liked Disney when I was younger, but now I think they just want to make girls feel like they have to be pretty too. Just my opinion, but seriously. A better role model might be Fiona from Shrek. She's not perfect, but she was still able to find love. That's more than Disney princesses can say.

by puella94 on 5/7/2013 7:35:47 PM

I don't think changing her was good or nescessary. Merida was supposed to be the princess that wasn't perfect, that was wild and free. Changing and airbrushing her was dumb,and I think it's cool that mom's are doing that. They are showing their daughters that girls who aren't perfect are princess and all are beautiful.

by Wisegirl1000 on 5/7/2013 7:33:54 PM

I agree with luvmonkey1313. Seriously, the moms are not in charge or have a say in this. I think she looks better.

by Genovi on 5/7/2013 7:25:55 PM

I dont agree with the sexualization... But I do notice that the once self-rescuing, strong, independent, flawed girl is now gone. I liked how before she was different from all of the other princesses which made her very special and unique, not mentioning how much of a role model she was to not only young girls but to me, a 14 year old! Smile So I do agree with the moms and I would totally sign this petition.

by jigglyjello456 on 5/7/2013 7:21:15 PM

I agree with those moms. Girls this day in age need to have a positive not scantily-clad role model to look up to, even if this role model is a fictional character. Also, Merida's "new" look really detracts from her purpose: being a powerful woman who doesn't need to look a certain way to be who she wants to be.

by hungergamesgirl on 5/7/2013 6:37:40 PM

Before for sure! She looks younger which is good! Shes like a teen not a 20 year old (I think) But it also look more realistic and with her personailty her before hair is better

by soccer.is.da.best on 5/7/2013 6:16:58 PM