6 HOURS AGO Find out what your go to fall fashion trend is! #GLFashion http://t.co/5YPicHugUv

8 HOURS AGO Find out your body confidence: #GLQuizzes http://t.co/rxV4mmtlqo

9 HOURS AGO Keep those brows in check! Follow these tricks on how to keep up with them: http://t.co/MaRLHigakT

COMMENTS

Merida's makeover: Big deal or not so much?

Scottish lass Merida from last summer's Pixar smash is finally joining the ranks of the Disney Princesses. But before she joins the queue, evidently she...

I like the before pictures better, but honestly there's not that much of a difference. It's not a big deal at all.

by myfatsquirrel on 6/12/2013 12:29:49 AM

Are we seriously putting our attention on something like this? People will start a hype on just about anything! Let's focus on something bigger... world hunger, finalizing gay rights/gun laws (not saying my side on either of these), ANYTHING that actually makes a difference in our daily lives! As for her makeover, if I really must... She's not any different. That's the dress she wore during the archery competition. Honestly...

by LittleUsagiTewi on 6/10/2013 11:57:48 PM

I think that her makeover IS a big deal. she was supposed to be a princess, minus the girly glitter. The first one is a person that kids should look up to; she's herself and she loves it. The second is telling young girls they need to grow up and look perfect. That's one of the factors that contributes to the low self esteem of teens these days. We are taught to grow up and look like a barbie or the new princess and when we don't we are ashamed. disney made a poor choice with the sexualization of Merida, but she isn't the only princess showing more skin and looking 'better'. Belle, for example has dropped at least 20 Ibs, her dress is fancier, her hair lighter, jewelry shinier. Bele, the small town brainiac who resists a man who wants her for her looks and only her looks. What is disney trying to prove? That Belle is no longer better then any flashy girl on the streets? That Merida can't be an individual? That the princesses have to be a size 0? That Jasmine Has to wear makeup?

by mh.00 on 5/26/2013 7:38:06 PM

Her messy style and free-spirit is what defines her as a true princess. Princesses don't need to look neat. Their personality and style defines who they are. Princesses aren't afraid to show their true selves. Isn't that the whole point of Disney princesses? Too me, she looks fake in the AFTER part. The BEFORE part looks so much better.

by LacrosseLoverJB on 5/25/2013 9:07:33 PM

I like the before pictures, i mean dinsey should just stick to the design they started with. thats just what i think

by Fashionismylife on 5/25/2013 1:07:54 PM

I just don't see the big deal..it's a makeover! Just because she looks different does NOT mean that she isn't the same fun loving girl we know and love. But, that's just MY opinion

by librarygal on 5/22/2013 4:21:50 PM

I dont like the make over. hello i thought this girl was suppost to be the wild and fun sprited princess without the glitter. THis girl can take care of her self. The new make over makes her look flirter than the other princesses. Bring back the bow and arrows. I dont even like in the before look how she wears a dress. Can there be a t-shirt and sweatpants wearing princess please?

by Mavertishboydrama on 5/18/2013 12:34:58 PM

The old one is more real. The one that I look up to. The new one makes me kinda sad.

by bunnyboo2224 on 5/16/2013 8:11:16 PM

Let her be free and have a personality

by FluffyDeathBunny on 5/15/2013 7:43:51 PM

I like before a loooot better than after, the after looks weird

by shinybeads on 5/14/2013 10:54:06 PM

this matters so much. the new design is really terrible, as it shows young girls that they need to be feminine and sexy in order to be successful, even though they don't. telling the girls that will make them unnecessarily self-conscious and is really not the way to go. if we want to raise strong, independent, and confident women, we need to show them that they do NOT have to look perfect in order to do well in life.

by dilquius on 5/14/2013 8:33:38 PM

thanks Florence!!!

by 513520cb on 5/12/2013 3:43:33 PM

What? I definitely prefer the "Before".
The "After" one makes Disney portray the one "perfect" image of a "Princess". But that's not Merida. Merida is bold and BRAVE! I honestly don't see a "problem" that needs to be changed!

***
Hey, girlie! Looking for a circle of fashionable chicas that are always there to help you with your fashion decisions? Looking for friends that will support your personal style and keep you up-to-date with the latest trends? Join the Chichi Circle! Join for exclusive "Chichi Cheats" ;)

by Shadow.Fall691 on 5/10/2013 8:06:46 AM

I have a a sister with Down Syndrome, and for our scince fair, i explained what it is.My BGF loved it and said he knew all about being tesed because he is dytslexic.but my so called friend and his group came over, and laughed at how they looked. at MY sister. I started yelling at them, Alot, and than after they leave, he says he wasn't doing anything. i got mad and told him "whatever leave me and my sister alone,jerk". I thought he got the hint, except he has been trying too be nice too me all day like nothing happened! Should I forgive him and his group, just him, or forgwet them?

Hey girlie. I don't think you should forget him completely; it seems like he does feelsorry about what he did. At the same time, what he did was mean, and he can't expect you to cave just yet. Don't break off your friendship entirely, but let things cool for a bit by avoiding him and his group for a while. Also, don't be afraid to let him know exactly how much he hurt you and your sister by acting the way he did. If he really realizes that what he did was wrong, and he cares enough about your friendship, he'll be able to understand why it is that you're upset/avoiding him.
Florence N.

by 513520cb on 5/9/2013 9:08:52 PM

I actually kind of like both. I mean the Before Merida is way better, but all the Disney Princesses have to turn dressy and classy eventually. So i guess it was Merida's turn.

by Queenbee4ever on 5/9/2013 7:59:38 PM

I like the before way better. I like Meredith because she is not a princess that needs a prince to save her. In a way, she saves herself. In the after pictures, they make her look a little too feminine. I also think that it is pretty much the same as the before picture. I do think they should have kept her bow and arrows though.

by turtle295 on 5/9/2013 7:58:47 PM

I like the "before" so much better! The "after" is so fake, and since in the movie she is supposed to be wild it doesn't fit her character at all!

by emtheartist on 5/9/2013 7:11:23 PM

The original Merida is herself... if there wasn't a "problem" with Merida, they wouldn't have made the changes. They made Merida skinnier and her hips wider, and gave her a brighter dress, acting like clothes is what makes someone stand out. I'm outraged they made this change, because it's sending the wrong message to little girls. Besides, I loved old Merida!

by ME11579 on 5/9/2013 6:24:09 PM

I think it's fine having them change her, it would most likely harder to to make her hair as wild a it is in the movie. Plus, they could always make her multiple outfits like they always do. Besides, the Princess' outfits in the main picture together are always fancier then they are usually dressed.

by kittycat99kmb on 5/9/2013 5:05:51 PM

There's literally no difference. Her hair actually looks quite the same, she isn't revealing anymore skin, and her dress actually hasn't changed; she's just wearing the one she used for the archery competition in the movie. Mirada is drawn in a slightly more manga (read: Japanese/anime) style, so she looks a bit older than usual. Seriously... It's no big deal.

by LittleUsagiTewi on 5/9/2013 1:21:51 PM

Ok an animation and a drawing are NOT going to look exactly the same. I mean besides her dress being more shimmery and fancy, there's really no difference. She's showing the same amount of skin, and her hair is just as messy as before. The only thing is they should have kept her bow and arrow in the picture. I understand that little girls need a good example, but I think this example is fine.

by Daddy'sgrl12 on 5/9/2013 6:42:08 AM

there's nothin wrong with merida.. so why would they change her? she wont be the real merida then...... love that movie :'D

by islandgirl23 on 5/9/2013 1:46:49 AM

It tells younger kids that they can't be themselves; instead they need to change their appearance and who they are in order to be liked. This is not the message those kids should be getting. They need to feel comfortable with who they are.

by 4soccer27 on 5/9/2013 1:02:18 AM

There was nothing wrong with the original Merida and no reason to change her look. It might make younger girls feel like they have to improve their image just like she has.

by denik on 5/8/2013 11:39:42 PM

I like the old look better because that's the real her and she looks younger. Closer to the age she's supposed to be.I also think she looks a little too glam. She could've been a princess just the way she was. That would've been a great message to send.

by Bluestar479 on 5/8/2013 11:07:46 PM

WHAT THE HECK HAVE THEY DOND TO HER?!?!?!? She DIESNT WVWN HAVE HER BOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Merida is not a stupid Disney princess, swooning over princes. She is a determined rebel. That look does not suit her at ALL!

by ravenclawgirl on 5/8/2013 9:55:20 PM

by badatbasketball on 5/8/2013 9:36:23 PM

Advice Queen:khaotickaitlin
I've pretty much been through it all...Don't hesitate to ask! I love helping people!

by khaotickaitlin on 5/8/2013 8:49:30 PM

I like her before b/c it's the real her! If you've seen the movie 'Brave' you know that she doesn't like being the girly type. She likes adventure and if you loved her in the movie you would want a doll(or whatever) of her from the movie not a new girly her doll, just saying, not trying to be mean or anything

by ArianaKatFan on 5/8/2013 8:00:41 PM

I really liked the old look better because in the movie her character wouldn't have worn that girly dress! I don't think kids will be happy with this change because they like Merida how she is!

by Ivylougirl on 5/8/2013 7:59:41 PM

It's not a huge deal but I think it gives girls this idea of unattainable beauty and that she looks more believable, real, I don't know a good adjective but I like the before better.

by sk8rk on 5/8/2013 7:14:33 PM

Before for sure...The main problem is that they made her skinnier and curvier...is that what it means to be a princess?

by 5555fanny on 5/8/2013 5:09:58 PM

i honestly dont care. Disney only made that change because, really, no one is going to buy a doll with frizzy knotted hair who doesn't look pretty. It's just the truth. Plus, when i was at the age of being interested in dolls, i wanted a pretty doll, and besides, i dont think i would be mature enough anyways to know that Merida went through a change.

by proballerina on 5/8/2013 8:08:56 AM

I personally like the old one but the new one isnt like too racy but she would need a a small makeover to become one of the disney princesses Jess D.

by lizzylacasse on 5/8/2013 7:19:30 AM

I don't like this new change. I feel like Disney is constantly sending children the message that girls must be feminine. You don't have be pretty or act feminine to be a girl! Not all princesses have to be girly and girls are not obligated to act like the typical, pretty, perfect feminine figure. What really matters in Brave is not Merida being a princess, it was the qualities that Merida gained: bravery and sticking together as a family.

by WantsToSnuggle on 5/8/2013 12:27:17 AM

I personally like her old look better. It show little girls that you don't have to be perfect and girly to be a princess. With her disheveled hair and modest dress Merida send the message that it is OK to be different, and to stand out from the crowd in this world full of Barbies.

by cya19 on 5/8/2013 12:21:24 AM

I do not like her new makeover at all but I don't think its that big of a deal.

by mooncool7 on 5/7/2013 11:48:50 PM

I kind of like her the old way but either way is fine for me. Some people just need something to complain about, so I dont think she is being sexualized, she isnt showing that much more skin and she doesnt have boobs that stick way out. Just look at some of the video games guys are playing and so many of the female characters are made to look very sexual, so Merida isnt that bad.

by fashionqn on 5/7/2013 10:35:21 PM

I like her better the new way, because if shes a Disney princess, she has to look pretty and girly. Honestly, I never liked Brave because of her appearance as a princess with uncombed hair and no makeup, because in reality, they all did look good. And seriously? A petition? There is no sexualization in this, and the world needs to be more considered about other things, such as why the US goes to war with so many countries for no reason and why so many Americans have guns (they shoot innocent children and the 2 amendment was made in in the 17 century when it was actually NeEdEd unlike now).

by coolteen24 on 5/7/2013 10:09:23 PM

I agree with Jules1399.

by 7200wolfgirl7200 on 5/7/2013 9:31:11 PM

I'm sorry, but it's really not a big deal. I know she's supposed to be a tom boy, but a petition??? I think that the reason little girls like princesses is because they are girly. I personally like the change.

by emim88 on 5/7/2013 9:28:59 PM

by Emilicious on 5/7/2013 9:28:29 PM

I think Merida is really supposed to be a tomboy and one of the points of the movie was how she didn't want to be a girly princess, so I don't think they should change her into a girly princess like they did

by Jules1399 on 5/7/2013 9:01:42 PM

Today At lunch, all my friends were going outside, except for my one friend. She doesn't really like my other friends, but she is also my only good friend in my class. So anyway, at lunch they wer going to go outside, and the girl refused. She asked me if I was going and I asked if I really had a choice. She got really depressed and said later that my comment really hurt her. I really want to make up, but I'm worried that she won't accept my apology because I went outside about a month ago without her and I apologized a lot then. What's the best way to apologize and do you think she'll accept my apology? Thanks, I'm really worried.

Hey keewauneegal, maybe you could write her a letter. Let her know you're sorry and didn't mean to hurt her. It may take her a while but I'm sure she'll forgive you. You seem like such a great friend. Xoxo Smile

Lynae P.

by kewauneegal on 5/7/2013 8:59:19 PM

i like both. i think the new version would be a good "grown-up" version

by emmulee on 5/7/2013 8:58:44 PM

What extra skin is being shown? Foot I like the original Merida because she's untainted (like not dressed up, fancy or ladylike) but why are mothers getting angry over a simple sketch or idea?

by Kikikim8 on 5/7/2013 8:45:48 PM

W

by Kikikim8 on 5/7/2013 8:43:46 PM

I actually don't see much of a difference. I mean there are going to be differences between a CGI and a cartoon. If there had been more of a change I definitely would side with the Moms.

by txtingirl on 5/7/2013 8:40:30 PM

Sexualization? It's the same girl in a different style of cartoon and a different dress. Disney was trying to make her match the style of art as all the other princesses, she still represents the same ideals and morals. I don't think that would have been considered sexual at a until some uptight mothers pointed it out. They need to calm down.

by ACaseOfMistakenIdentity on 5/7/2013 8:35:23 PM

Yeah it is a big deal! She was the only REAL princess.

by Miepster99 on 5/7/2013 8:22:59 PM

I don't think she was "sexualized" at all-but I do think it was stupid to change how Merida (and al the other Disney preincesses, sadly) looked. The original looked a lot better and more detailed. They should've stuck with the way the animater designed it.

by soccacheer on 5/7/2013 8:12:59 PM

I agree, I can't believe how they changed Merida. I actually liked her because she was that one disney princess who wasn't airbrushed or anything, she used to be careless, free, happy to be herself. This is not a good example for young ones. I want my mom to sign that petition. Smooth Disney.

by funnyali123 on 5/7/2013 7:59:34 PM

I understand the animators wanting to give more attention to the Princesses, but do they really have to make them more perfect then they already are???!!! I mean,I loved the princesses even without their makeovers. In my opinion, the animators are making the princesses MORE perfect than they NEED to be. Little girls look up to these princesses, and do we really want them to grow up thinking that THEY HAVE to be perfect just because a princess was?? I don't think so. Merida's makeover is not too 'flashy' if you know what I mean, in my opinion anyway.

by PunkinPie2499 on 5/7/2013 7:53:54 PM

I think this is kind of a big deal. Disney should be teaching girls that there's more to them than their appearance. Merida was awesome because she was different from all the Disney princess characters. She wasn't a girl who just cared about her looks. But this change in appearance is sending a message to girls that it's their looks that matter more than anything else, which is definitely not a signal we should be sending to girls. There's already way too much pressure to look a certain way, and by changing Merida into someone who looks just like all the other Disney princesses, Disney is simply perpetuating that message.

by supersingershannon on 5/7/2013 7:48:29 PM

All Disney princesses are skinny, pretty, have perfect skin... etc, etc. It's stupid that they are supposedly perfect just because of how they look. I liked Disney when I was younger, but now I think they just want to make girls feel like they have to be pretty too. Just my opinion, but seriously. A better role model might be Fiona from Shrek. She's not perfect, but she was still able to find love. That's more than Disney princesses can say.

by puella94 on 5/7/2013 7:35:47 PM

I don't think changing her was good or nescessary. Merida was supposed to be the princess that wasn't perfect, that was wild and free. Changing and airbrushing her was dumb,and I think it's cool that mom's are doing that. They are showing their daughters that girls who aren't perfect are princess and all are beautiful.

by Wisegirl1000 on 5/7/2013 7:33:54 PM

I agree with luvmonkey1313. Seriously, the moms are not in charge or have a say in this. I think she looks better.

by Genovi on 5/7/2013 7:25:55 PM

I dont agree with the sexualization... But I do notice that the once self-rescuing, strong, independent, flawed girl is now gone. I liked how before she was different from all of the other princesses which made her very special and unique, not mentioning how much of a role model she was to not only young girls but to me, a 14 year old! Smile So I do agree with the moms and I would totally sign this petition.

by jigglyjello456 on 5/7/2013 7:21:15 PM

I agree with those moms. Girls this day in age need to have a positive not scantily-clad role model to look up to, even if this role model is a fictional character. Also, Merida's "new" look really detracts from her purpose: being a powerful woman who doesn't need to look a certain way to be who she wants to be.

by hungergamesgirl on 5/7/2013 6:37:40 PM

Before for sure! She looks younger which is good! Shes like a teen not a 20 year old (I think) But it also look more realistic and with her personailty her before hair is better

by soccer.is.da.best on 5/7/2013 6:16:58 PM

Disney princesses are people girls look up to, and lets face it, we all want to be like people who take care of themselves and dress nicely, and put some effort into their look! Just because Meredith's hair is combed doesn't mean she's any different than she was before, or any less of a person to look up to. It's not that big of a deal, but I can see why some people might be upset by it.

by lucy143247 on 5/7/2013 6:03:00 PM

I think it is a big deal because by puting a showy dress on her you are teaching kids to dress that way

by Kika122 on 5/7/2013 6:02:56 PM

The dress is not flashy and does not show any more skin than her other dress. So what if Disney made her skin a little bit paler and made her hair tidier. They've been changing all the other princesses. The moms should get over themselves. If they don't like the new cartoons then don't let their girls watch Disney movies. It's Disney's decision, the princess are legally theirs to do with whatever they wish.

by luvmonkey1313 on 5/7/2013 5:46:24 PM

wow, i think that people need to take a deep breath and calm down. they didnt even change the dress they just added some extra detail. and the hair? it looks the same to me. people have to stop getting upset over stuff that just doesn't matter.

by lunarbeauty on 5/7/2013 5:36:54 PM

I like her better before. She's not a girly character, and the "After" is just a little much!

by the_girl_in_goal on 5/7/2013 5:27:59 PM

the whole movie is about her being her and the new version of her is contradicting that

by greeknspooky on 5/7/2013 5:27:52 PM

It's not a big deal, but they shouldn't have changed her. Can we have at least one princess that is real and not flawless?

by meganbeme on 5/7/2013 5:15:06 PM

They probably made her "prettier" so she can appeal to young girls more. It's really not that big of a deal...

by Sweetie99 on 5/7/2013 4:59:56 PM

She's not showing any more skin than she was before... personally I liked her hair better originally, though. But even the dress isn't that bad, it's just a different shade and has sparkles on it. There is no "sexualization" here in any way.

by rocketqueenxo on 5/7/2013 4:35:08 PM

I dont care that she is wearing makeup and a prettier dress, except for the fact that she is supposed to look rough, because she doesnt care about her appearance and prefers doing other things outdoors.

by Bunniesrock14 on 5/7/2013 4:00:58 PM

I think it's really no big deal and the moms should get over themselve

by Chicwithblondhair101 on 5/7/2013 3:14:17 PM

I think the before one looks more like her character more, because she isn't that girly in truth.

by fabina962 on 5/7/2013 3:06:33 PM

Of course she looks different! An illustration and a computer-generated image are two different things. The only difference I see is in the dress, which covers up as much skin as her old dress does. People need to start focusing on issues that actually matter instead of making a big deal about nothing.

by ineedadelorean on 5/7/2013 2:36:06 PM

i think she looks so cute and girly Smile

by chacha_mochacha12 on 5/7/2013 2:30:50 PM

I think she looks so much better before...More real and realistic even though it is a cartoon. The after looks like an anime and overworked...I'm in favor of before. I like it much better. The whole reason I enjoyed the movie was because I thought the characters were so cool and original and interesting with all the crazy hair and everything.

by Chloe<3 on 5/7/2013 1:49:30 PM