2 HOURS AGO 5 quick and delish breakfasts for those rushed school mornings: http://t.co/nXdvamToKK

5 HOURS AGO 3 teas to cure your cold: http://t.co/zYSGlhia8d

5 HOURS AGO Happy Halloween! #turnup #hocuspocus #halloween http://t.co/6wS0e0H4cs

COMMENTS

English, math, science, history and...gym? P.E. might be your new core course

As obesity rates continue to climb—currently 17 percent of children under the age of 19 in the U.S. clock in way over their recommended BMI—organizations...

At my school we have 45 minutes of PE and everyone loves it! Then we have 15 minutes of recess. After that i go to ASC and we usually go outside or the gym every friday. Then I go home and work out at the gym.

by GirlyChic on 6/18/2013 2:49:06 PM

It needs to be mandatory, so many young people are overweight and unhealthy. I love staying fit, its not always easy but you need to do it as a habit and not just once a week. I am happy a lot of my friends are kind of athletic so it makes it easier.

by fashionqn on 6/10/2013 11:01:16 PM

by pussycat103 on 6/5/2013 8:53:30 AM

In new jersey they make us take a lot of gym more than the norm for the country because of our major. so public schools make u take it everyday pretty much depending on the circumstances. I have gym 4 times a week and we get a study hall on friday.
I hate gym class and its not making anyone loss weight its making people hate working out from a young age.

by colie34720 on 6/3/2013 4:06:05 PM

I would like this idea if only our gym classes did any good! When my mom was a girl, they did actual, hard exercises for 2/3 of the class, THEN play a game. Now, all we do is play games that the guys totally dominate, and then there are the girls and the geeks on the side. We need to actually get back to Presidential Fitness!

by Danerka on 6/2/2013 6:05:07 PM

I live in Canada, and we take gym daily all through junior high, and then it's mandatory for one half of grade ten, and then it's an option from there on out.
Honestly, there are a few issues I have with making gym mandatory. First, it is cited that BMIs are proving that people are unhealthy. This is simply untrue. There have been many, many, many studies done that show that BMIs are a really ineffective way to measure health. There are people who weigh more or have weight distributed differently who run marathons and would be in the unhealthy range, and there are thin people who eat french fries every day and never exercise and according to the BMI would be totally healthy. Secondly, I think it's better to encourage people to find sports or activities they actually enjoy rather than forcing them in a class setting where they could be teased if they happen to not be good at whatever sport is happening in gym class.

by The_Lorax on 6/2/2013 11:14:27 AM

At my school you are only required to take gym one semester to graduate. I really like. There are elective gym classes available as zero hours for upperclassmen who want to take more P.E. classes. I've always hated gym because we just played games and it just wasn't an accepting environment. I think a good way to have kids in more gym classes is to offer different kinds. Just playing little games and running sometimes isn't fun or effective. Having yoga, weight training, team sports and swimming for actual classes instead of small units would be much more effective. The problem with gym is when you are out of school and looking for a job people probably wont ask something like "Oh hey, before I can hire you I need to know if you can explain the rules of dodge ball!" Gym just doesn't teach super practical skills.

by Cece-marie on 6/2/2013 1:04:54 AM

Gym at our school is a required elective, so you only have to take it 3 out of the 4 quarters. That's enough for me! I really don't like gym. But honestly, I do appreciate it. I pretty much get a workout session daily.

by Glitterheart16 on 6/1/2013 11:30:07 PM

Gym is a required course for 3 of out the four 4 years at my high school and it's really pointless. I'm taking summer gym so I don't have to do it during school and it's 10 times easier

by unicornninja on 6/1/2013 9:52:56 PM

This is the worst idea I have ever heard. Gym classes are so ineffective in getting you to be active. Since they are directed at people who actually care about sports, they become useless and ineffective for everyone else. Also, the average amount of activity you get in gym class is 8 minutes. THINK ABOUT THIS.

by Jizara on 6/1/2013 7:21:49 PM