AN HOUR AGO Kill your period cravings with these healthy picks: http://t.co/AIbgSRKDNa

2 HOURS AGO 9 must-read books to binge on this weekend: http://t.co/wvZcj2xuJz

2 HOURS AGO Amp your everyday look with @AboutFacesDay's bubble braid tutorial on @Fanlala: http://t.co/3ZoRU8NHie

COMMENTS

English, math, science, history and...gym? P.E. might be your new core course

As obesity rates continue to climb—currently 17 percent of children under the age of 19 in the U.S. clock in way over their recommended BMI—organizations...

Forcing kids to take gym does not make them want to exercise! It does the opposite! Maybe instead of forcing exercise they could educate you about living a healthy life so that people would actually be motivated to be healthy! Also, school is about preparing you for a job and figuring out what you like to do. If gym takes away a spot for an elective, how will kids be able to find out their interests?

by danceontheedge on 5/30/2013 9:32:36 PM

At my middle school we have a days and b days. So basically you would have an a day the next b. You would have gym on either a a or b day for 3 marking periods. You have to have health for 1 marking period....Next year... they said they'd get rid of a and be days and turn a school day into 9 periods instead of 8. They are going to make gym everyday supposedly. We're going to have 2 periods of language arts now too. They're bringing back school sports as well!

by justrainbowz on 5/30/2013 9:27:28 PM

Gym class at my school is already a humiliating thing, for me and a lot of my friends. Getting bad scores on the mile means teasing, the same with the pacer. If you're not athletic, gym just isn't your thing. One thing that's very bad for your body is weight loss and weight gain, going back and forth all the time. I don't think this is a good idea. It's mandatory at the elementary schools and middle school and a couple years at the high school, but that doesn't mean anyone likes it. About the only thing in gym I really enjoy is floor hockey, but that's rarely an option to play, so if this has to be done, then at least give us more than 3 or 4 options, give us many to choose from. But maybe cut out all the running for tests like the mile. Not everyone's a runner and the world needs to realize and respect that. And besides, running is the worst possible thing for your joints, it's been proven. I don't think this should be made a law, I strongly believe it's unfair and should be optional.

by whitemare on 5/30/2013 9:18:41 PM

My high school requires 3 and 1/2 years of PE, and 1 semester of health.

by ellybelle98 on 5/30/2013 8:55:29 PM

Phys Ed. is already a mandatory course in my school, it always has been. To graduate you need 4 credits of English, 3 credits of math, 3 credits of social studies and 3 credits of English as well as 2 credits of Phys Ed.

by michipie205 on 5/30/2013 8:42:01 PM

Gym is required in the state I live it was cut short in elementary school so was music (we had gym one day and music the next and art every 2 weeks.) Middle school and high school are considered regular classes but in middle school gym was considered an elective so it was only 30 minutes

by hinatagal on 5/30/2013 8:39:47 PM

At my school, you need half a credit for P.E. in high school and then a credit of health. Which is good because I hate gym!!

by Chlobear on 5/30/2013 8:38:17 PM

I think this is a good idea as long as they make gym fun for kids. If they do stuff like mile runs and push-ups all the time, it will be boring and discouraging for kids and it will make them less likely to want to pursue more physical activity. But if they show kids that getting exercise can be fun, I feel like this could be a really positive change. At my school, you're only required to take gym one year and we have it every other day.

by supersingershannon on 5/30/2013 8:34:03 PM

I always do gym. I'm doing at least one semester each year. It's "mandatory" in my school but all you have to do is be in gym or take an extra foreign language( Spanish 3 or french 1) and you can opt out.

by soccerholic on 5/30/2013 8:29:48 PM