4 HOURS AGO Hey fit chicks, say hello to your new favorite workout: http://t.co/GZ50ygVlNX

7 HOURS AGO Which character from @thegivermovie are you? Take the quiz and find out: http://t.co/V1rdFyMROQ

8 HOURS AGO The thigh gap thing has gone far enough #BodyPeace: http://t.co/9KEmVRd8uf

COMMENTS

English, math, science, history and...gym? P.E. might be your new core course

As obesity rates continue to climb—currently 17 percent of children under the age of 19 in the U.S. clock in way over their recommended BMI—organizations...

At my school we have PE everyday already, for an hour!

by lagosul on 5/30/2013 12:27:02 PM

In high school, everything changes. At my school, it's required to take gym a total of one whole school year. That's it.

by myfatsquirrel on 5/30/2013 11:48:44 AM

We have gym up until 10th grade

by bubblegum girl on 5/30/2013 10:22:37 AM

We've always had gym as a class. From elementary school through high school. And I think it's a blast, I love gym.

by jojodramallama on 5/30/2013 10:12:58 AM

Since I'm homeschooled I do lots of running and walking the dog. But if I do go to school next year or the year after I really wouldn't mind having PE as a core course.

by mooncool7 on 5/30/2013 10:02:36 AM

ew, no I hate gym class! we have mandatory sports at my school, where we have to be on soccer and basketball and lacrosse teams. I hate sports!

by Gryffindor7924 on 5/30/2013 9:36:22 AM

Ok, I get that obesity is a rising problem, but by making gym a core class, that would be cutting out another possible option that could help prepare you for other things. I had to take a zero hour gym and health class this year because it's one of the requirements to graduate. I get the health part and everything but I'm a two sport athlete and the gym portion just felt unnecessary. I know that other people have different opinions but I found it a little ridiculous that gym could be made into a core class.

by e-lo on 5/30/2013 8:05:17 AM

in Illinois there is a law requiring us to have gym everyday so for my entire time in school i have had gym or had to do some form of physical activity.

by catlover26 on 5/30/2013 8:04:52 AM

I think we totally should do this. There's this girl in my gym class (we have gym every other day) and she is very overweight. Although, she always sits out and probably fails gym class. If it is a mandatory subject, I think people like her will participate more.

by xxnycbeauty on 5/30/2013 7:53:06 AM

At middle school, gym was always a core class. At the high school, you can waver out of gym all year by joining a varsity sport or participating in Marching band. But that all means that if you make JV (junior varsity) you still have to do gym. But they always give you the extra option of taking a gym class in addition. And let's not forget extra curricular sports!

by Doggybobo on 5/30/2013 7:18:11 AM