11 HOURS AGO Stay sun savvy with 5 beauty buys for sun protection: http://t.co/Aq9qUPQ3nE

14 HOURS AGO Tone up #tabata style: http://t.co/lOFXLmg7ew

15 HOURS AGO Pretty up with the 20 best nail polish picks of all time: http://t.co/1GctxLQSKw

COMMENTS

English, math, science, history and...gym? P.E. might be your new core course

As obesity rates continue to climb—currently 17 percent of children under the age of 19 in the U.S. clock in way over their recommended BMI—organizations...

At my school we have 45 minutes of PE and everyone loves it! Then we have 15 minutes of recess. After that i go to ASC and we usually go outside or the gym every friday. Then I go home and work out at the gym.

by GirlyChic on 6/18/2013 2:49:06 PM

It needs to be mandatory, so many young people are overweight and unhealthy. I love staying fit, its not always easy but you need to do it as a habit and not just once a week. I am happy a lot of my friends are kind of athletic so it makes it easier.

by fashionqn on 6/10/2013 11:01:16 PM

by pussycat103 on 6/5/2013 8:53:30 AM

In new jersey they make us take a lot of gym more than the norm for the country because of our major. so public schools make u take it everyday pretty much depending on the circumstances. I have gym 4 times a week and we get a study hall on friday.
I hate gym class and its not making anyone loss weight its making people hate working out from a young age.

by colie34720 on 6/3/2013 4:06:05 PM

I would like this idea if only our gym classes did any good! When my mom was a girl, they did actual, hard exercises for 2/3 of the class, THEN play a game. Now, all we do is play games that the guys totally dominate, and then there are the girls and the geeks on the side. We need to actually get back to Presidential Fitness!

by Danerka on 6/2/2013 6:05:07 PM

I live in Canada, and we take gym daily all through junior high, and then it's mandatory for one half of grade ten, and then it's an option from there on out.
Honestly, there are a few issues I have with making gym mandatory. First, it is cited that BMIs are proving that people are unhealthy. This is simply untrue. There have been many, many, many studies done that show that BMIs are a really ineffective way to measure health. There are people who weigh more or have weight distributed differently who run marathons and would be in the unhealthy range, and there are thin people who eat french fries every day and never exercise and according to the BMI would be totally healthy. Secondly, I think it's better to encourage people to find sports or activities they actually enjoy rather than forcing them in a class setting where they could be teased if they happen to not be good at whatever sport is happening in gym class.

by The_Lorax on 6/2/2013 11:14:27 AM

At my school you are only required to take gym one semester to graduate. I really like. There are elective gym classes available as zero hours for upperclassmen who want to take more P.E. classes. I've always hated gym because we just played games and it just wasn't an accepting environment. I think a good way to have kids in more gym classes is to offer different kinds. Just playing little games and running sometimes isn't fun or effective. Having yoga, weight training, team sports and swimming for actual classes instead of small units would be much more effective. The problem with gym is when you are out of school and looking for a job people probably wont ask something like "Oh hey, before I can hire you I need to know if you can explain the rules of dodge ball!" Gym just doesn't teach super practical skills.

by Cece-marie on 6/2/2013 1:04:54 AM

Gym at our school is a required elective, so you only have to take it 3 out of the 4 quarters. That's enough for me! I really don't like gym. But honestly, I do appreciate it. I pretty much get a workout session daily.

by Glitterheart16 on 6/1/2013 11:30:07 PM

Gym is a required course for 3 of out the four 4 years at my high school and it's really pointless. I'm taking summer gym so I don't have to do it during school and it's 10 times easier

by unicornninja on 6/1/2013 9:52:56 PM

This is the worst idea I have ever heard. Gym classes are so ineffective in getting you to be active. Since they are directed at people who actually care about sports, they become useless and ineffective for everyone else. Also, the average amount of activity you get in gym class is 8 minutes. THINK ABOUT THIS.

by Jizara on 6/1/2013 7:21:49 PM

in elementary school, prettty simple and just fun games that got us moving. middle school, they choose 2 sports per marking period that we have to play. high school, choose whatever you want, whether it be football or yoga

by sammyy99 on 6/1/2013 11:31:04 AM

MOD please!!
Hey ya! Okay, so I'm home-schooled, and when I was little (around 6) I could do beginning-intermediate algebra. So of course, my mom let me skip grades. The problem is, now I'm almost 14 and I can't do simple things like multiplication very well! My mom works during the day, and my dad lives out of state, so I'm on my own when it comes to school. My mom gives me science and history books and whatever that I just work on at my own pace, but I really don't have much math. What do I do?? I'm ahead in everything else, it's just math! I even suck at doing things with money. It's really embarrassing. Frown Also, I can't hire a tutor or anything because we don't make enough money. Is there any way I can get back up to my level? What ARE kids my age expected to be able to do? (My B-Day is in the fall, so I'm currently in 7th grade.) Sorry it's so long! Also, thanks for all that you Mods do, you're all so awesome!!

Hey girl! I would give a heads up to your Mom that you're struggling a bit. Math is really tricky, but also really important. She might have more ideas on how to get you a little extra help in that subject! Keep at it though; you'll get the hang soon!

xo

Taeler L.

by princessofparadox on 6/1/2013 1:17:25 AM

CLub ANYTHING!!!!!!!(sorry for the spamming, but we need lots more members).

********************************************HEY GIRLS!!!!!***************************************************

by puddinface7 on 5/31/2013 10:02:20 PM

We are required to take PE I&II to graduate, unless you do a sport, marching band, or are in one of the competing show choirs (because they dance so much) and then you can waive out of one PE course. If you take it during the school year its every other day due to our block schedule. Most kids take PE I the summer before freshman year and waive out of PE II, but I'm taking PE II this summer before sophomore year. Its four hours four days a week and it starts this coming monday. Its a good way to meet people before you start high school, and the teachers aren't as tough in the summer. I don't mind gym that much, except running kills me. It's boring and painful.

by Bluestar479 on 5/31/2013 9:12:32 PM

No. I think that is a bad idea- honestly I HATE PE I feel so forced to do things that I can't do! I think this would have an opposite effect- more kids would have bad grades because they don't want to do it- so they don't.I get points docked everyday in PE because I can't go all the way down to 90 degrees on my push-ups. Yeah. I am a straight A student so this hurts my grade really bad! Also school is supposed to prepare us for having jobs and living in the 'real world', if they take an elective away from us how are we going to find out what our interests are? I do understand the importance of being healthy and all, but forcing kids to do isn't going to change anything- in fact it could make kids have a negative image with exercise. I think my high school has the right idea, if you do a sport it counts as a PE credit, or if you are in the spring Musical- which I like! But that's just my opinion.

Xoxo M

by madsgirl155 on 5/31/2013 5:21:31 PM

We have gym every day in seventh and eighth grade at my school, which means that everyone tries to exert themselves as little as possible to avoid being sweaty and gross the whole rest of the day. Also, one trimester is spent on health, meaning we get no exercise in gym class 33% of the school year. We do have electives.

by elyse.a.cooke on 5/31/2013 5:09:21 PM

yes! in addition to preparing kids for life, they should make it so that they can be healthy and be able to do stuff. it's hard to be efficient if you are overweight

by N3rdyRand0mn3ss on 5/31/2013 4:44:38 PM

well my at my school, gym's a core class but we can take gym for a month in the summer for a year's credit (which is what i do) i just don't like messing up my hair and having to change in and out of my outfit and getting sweaty because my school doesnt give us enough time to shower

by ElliMichael on 5/31/2013 2:14:16 AM

We have it every other day every day.

by hanban24157 on 5/30/2013 10:52:15 PM

Personally i actually kind of like this idea. For many kids, this is the only time of the day they get exercise. But, i also think sports should count as gym credits. @ my high school, we can try out a sport for a week and then switch if we want to. I just do track and cc cause it's easy. But when you complete a season, you should get credit for gym because you just kicked your butt doing something you love.

by iheartu? on 5/30/2013 9:58:25 PM

Forcing kids to take gym does not make them want to exercise! It does the opposite! Maybe instead of forcing exercise they could educate you about living a healthy life so that people would actually be motivated to be healthy! Also, school is about preparing you for a job and figuring out what you like to do. If gym takes away a spot for an elective, how will kids be able to find out their interests?

by danceontheedge on 5/30/2013 9:32:36 PM

At my middle school we have a days and b days. So basically you would have an a day the next b. You would have gym on either a a or b day for 3 marking periods. You have to have health for 1 marking period....Next year... they said they'd get rid of a and be days and turn a school day into 9 periods instead of 8. They are going to make gym everyday supposedly. We're going to have 2 periods of language arts now too. They're bringing back school sports as well!

by justrainbowz on 5/30/2013 9:27:28 PM

Gym class at my school is already a humiliating thing, for me and a lot of my friends. Getting bad scores on the mile means teasing, the same with the pacer. If you're not athletic, gym just isn't your thing. One thing that's very bad for your body is weight loss and weight gain, going back and forth all the time. I don't think this is a good idea. It's mandatory at the elementary schools and middle school and a couple years at the high school, but that doesn't mean anyone likes it. About the only thing in gym I really enjoy is floor hockey, but that's rarely an option to play, so if this has to be done, then at least give us more than 3 or 4 options, give us many to choose from. But maybe cut out all the running for tests like the mile. Not everyone's a runner and the world needs to realize and respect that. And besides, running is the worst possible thing for your joints, it's been proven. I don't think this should be made a law, I strongly believe it's unfair and should be optional.

by whitemare on 5/30/2013 9:18:41 PM

My high school requires 3 and 1/2 years of PE, and 1 semester of health.

by ellybelle98 on 5/30/2013 8:55:29 PM

Phys Ed. is already a mandatory course in my school, it always has been. To graduate you need 4 credits of English, 3 credits of math, 3 credits of social studies and 3 credits of English as well as 2 credits of Phys Ed.

by michipie205 on 5/30/2013 8:42:01 PM

Gym is required in the state I live it was cut short in elementary school so was music (we had gym one day and music the next and art every 2 weeks.) Middle school and high school are considered regular classes but in middle school gym was considered an elective so it was only 30 minutes

by hinatagal on 5/30/2013 8:39:47 PM

At my school, you need half a credit for P.E. in high school and then a credit of health. Which is good because I hate gym!!

by Chlobear on 5/30/2013 8:38:17 PM

I think this is a good idea as long as they make gym fun for kids. If they do stuff like mile runs and push-ups all the time, it will be boring and discouraging for kids and it will make them less likely to want to pursue more physical activity. But if they show kids that getting exercise can be fun, I feel like this could be a really positive change. At my school, you're only required to take gym one year and we have it every other day.

by supersingershannon on 5/30/2013 8:34:03 PM

I always do gym. I'm doing at least one semester each year. It's "mandatory" in my school but all you have to do is be in gym or take an extra foreign language( Spanish 3 or french 1) and you can opt out.

by soccerholic on 5/30/2013 8:29:48 PM

at serving, LOL!!! Smile

by Sarah510 on 5/30/2013 8:11:15 PM

At my school sixth grade and under, P.E is mandotary for, and then you have to get credits for ONE ( Thank God only one) gym class in high school, and you have the choice to do it to seventh grade to college. I think that this is what should happen : Instead of taking gym/P.E where you have to do, like, twenty different sports ( Maybe not 20 but you know what I mean, LOL!!!) you should have to participate in one sport. For example, I would sign up for swimming and diving, even though I'm in the sixth grade. And I wish gymnastics and dance and diving and swimming classes were offered instead of P.E, but you could get P.E credits - Gymnastics and dance and diving and swimming is very hard work and gets your heart pumping, believe it or not, LOL!!! Smile The only ''sport'' ( People say gymnastics and dance and diving and swimming aren't sports and I'm like ''Excuse me??? Oh no you didn't!!! LOL!!!) that I like doing is volleyball ( I'm afraid of balls AND of volleyballs but I'm AWESOME at

by Sarah510 on 5/30/2013 8:10:55 PM

Unlike everyone else in my grade, I LOVE gym! Hate the teacher, but it IS physical activity, and that's one of the things that keeps me energized during the day. My friends think this is crazy, but the amount of obese kids is increasing tremendously; I have several at my school! Having gym as a core class would hopefully decrease the obesity population and get kids more eager to play a sport or workout or get involved. Gym often brings out the competitive side of people, as it does in me, and makes people work harder. Guys, for example, are almost always motivated to compete in my class-partially because I beat both genders at many of our activities, partially because they're guys-and my want to come out on top every gym class also motivates others to do so. Gym would be a very useful addition to our curriculum as another core class

by penguin1312 on 5/30/2013 7:58:32 PM

My school required it, bu the had to do a mile run at the beginning and end of every quarter, and run every week once a week! And then, they somehow (without working on it in class at all) expect us to be able to pump out at least 7 perfect form push ups! My PE teachers are evil Frown

by PrincessoftheSea on 5/30/2013 7:48:31 PM

We have that at my school. It's mandatory that you take a gym credit every year. Its not that bad its only one semester but there adding in power weights and/or lifetime fitness so its all year long.

by niccer13 on 5/30/2013 7:16:03 PM

Sure obesity is a problem but that's definitely not the school's problem. It's not like they prepare us for anything else in life so why force people to do PE? Smile

by mdo556 on 5/30/2013 7:00:08 PM

My school has had P.E. since it started in 1987...

by audz1199 on 5/30/2013 6:59:36 PM

It's a core class at my school. I have an 18.3 BMI, so I'm not obese, but I'd just really prefer not to take gym! Ever!!

by fireworks1071 on 5/30/2013 6:20:46 PM

I think that it should be a class for those who ARE overweight. for those who are healthy they should have the option to take gym or a class that will help them later. For me I LOVE gym so it should be personalized to fit YOUR needs.

by Girliegirl1314 on 5/30/2013 6:19:19 PM

In my opinion, if you are overweight, THEN you should have to have a mandatory gym class. But for everyone that is a good weight and eats right, they should have a choice between a helpful class and gym. They could also join a school sport to make up for it. But honestly, gym is a pretty useless class.

by epicforevs on 5/30/2013 5:59:32 PM

Hey! For anyone who likes to write, please join my club, Writing For Girls. We need a few more writers to start a story. Thanks!

by Cutie<3 on 5/30/2013 5:59:14 PM

I love gym, so it wouldn't matter to me. At my school we have to have 4 semesters of gym or athletics before you graduate. You can also do off campus pe if you do tennis, golf, dance, cheer and other stuff like that.

by Foodiejr99 on 5/30/2013 5:53:04 PM

This is already one of my cores unless you do a sport each season which i do so i'm all good hahaha

by tampagirl<3 on 5/30/2013 5:02:58 PM

Gym is already a core class for freshman at my highschool. I'm pretty sure we are actually required to have at least 2 credits of physical education in our four years in high school.

by AMOURx10 on 5/30/2013 5:01:47 PM

I don't think that it is anybody's job to take care of another's weight problem except for the person who is overweight. So, no, this shouldn't happen. I'm not going to take gym more because of others' health issues. Besides, gym class every day wouldn't make people who are obese more healthy; they have to make their own decision to become healthier. P.E. doesn't even give you a good work out.

by sarah.sjworm on 5/30/2013 4:47:29 PM

I hate gym class! In my county we take gym all through elementary school and middle school, but only one semester in High school. I am done with gym and I am happy about it! Making gym mandatory would take time away from classes that are actually important.

by awtechnofish on 5/30/2013 4:11:26 PM

CALLING ALL HOMESCHOOLED GIRLS!!!!!!! Come join the currently active club, "Homeschooled Girls Rule!" We talk about anything and everything! Currently there is an officer position open - Healthy Chica. You'd post often, give daily health tips and answer any health questions. Come join the fun today!!!!!

by Ralinia on 5/30/2013 3:46:11 PM

One class isn't going to help people stop becoming overweight. Neither is making school lunches healthier. You have to want to stop being overweight, by eating all the right foods and eating all the right food. Plus some kids aren't athletic...that doesn't mean they are overweight. They shouldn't force GYM on students, because everyone is different. Some people are better at music or art or whatever. If kids want to be athletic then instead of forcing Gym on everyone, how about those athletic kids join a sport?

by BabyDahl13 on 5/30/2013 3:41:59 PM

I only have P.E. twice a week for an hour. I do wish we had it every day, though.

by hermionegirl12 on 5/30/2013 3:37:56 PM

I don't mind working out, I just don't like working out as a class. There are just too many variables that can work against you. Plus it always seems like a competition to get done the fastest, so kids end up not doing it, just to not be the last kid running the mile. Our school makes us take two semesters at anytime in the four years and we can do it online too which I think is the way to go.

by amelalba on 5/30/2013 2:01:19 PM

my school has p.e. a semester and a half, we have it everyday for 50 min as a main required class. In eighth grade we have 2 other extra classes we can sign up for besides our given p.e. class.

by leisnow on 5/30/2013 1:22:23 PM

At my school we have PE everyday already, for an hour!

by lagosul on 5/30/2013 12:27:02 PM

In high school, everything changes. At my school, it's required to take gym a total of one whole school year. That's it.

by myfatsquirrel on 5/30/2013 11:48:44 AM

We have gym up until 10th grade

by bubblegum girl on 5/30/2013 10:22:37 AM

We've always had gym as a class. From elementary school through high school. And I think it's a blast, I love gym.

by jojodramallama on 5/30/2013 10:12:58 AM

Since I'm homeschooled I do lots of running and walking the dog. But if I do go to school next year or the year after I really wouldn't mind having PE as a core course.

by mooncool7 on 5/30/2013 10:02:36 AM

ew, no I hate gym class! we have mandatory sports at my school, where we have to be on soccer and basketball and lacrosse teams. I hate sports!

by Gryffindor7924 on 5/30/2013 9:36:22 AM

Ok, I get that obesity is a rising problem, but by making gym a core class, that would be cutting out another possible option that could help prepare you for other things. I had to take a zero hour gym and health class this year because it's one of the requirements to graduate. I get the health part and everything but I'm a two sport athlete and the gym portion just felt unnecessary. I know that other people have different opinions but I found it a little ridiculous that gym could be made into a core class.

by e-lo on 5/30/2013 8:05:17 AM

in Illinois there is a law requiring us to have gym everyday so for my entire time in school i have had gym or had to do some form of physical activity.

by catlover26 on 5/30/2013 8:04:52 AM

I think we totally should do this. There's this girl in my gym class (we have gym every other day) and she is very overweight. Although, she always sits out and probably fails gym class. If it is a mandatory subject, I think people like her will participate more.

by xxnycbeauty on 5/30/2013 7:53:06 AM

At middle school, gym was always a core class. At the high school, you can waver out of gym all year by joining a varsity sport or participating in Marching band. But that all means that if you make JV (junior varsity) you still have to do gym. But they always give you the extra option of taking a gym class in addition. And let's not forget extra curricular sports!

by Doggybobo on 5/30/2013 7:18:11 AM

thats okay with me Smile not only does it sound fun, but it helps keep us healthy and helps us to learn new skills. besides, there are quite a few people who need the exercise anyway, like me. I am always studying outside of school that I don't have so much time to just play.

by momo12KC on 5/30/2013 6:34:33 AM

In my district, and I think in California all together, PE is required. At my high school, you are required to take two years of PE to graduate. Whether that be marching band, football, swimming, etc. But, if you fail, or just don't pass, the Fitness Testing at the end of the year, they tack on another required year for you. So, some kids I know just can't do 15 crunches to save their lives, so they can't pass PE, thus, have to take PE all 4 years of school. It sucks for them, but if you can pass it, then you never have to take the dreaded class again, so your Junior and Senior years are mile-day free Smile

by AnimalHugger1000 on 5/30/2013 2:43:36 AM

by Emilicious on 5/30/2013 1:41:44 AM

I wouldn't mind having P.E. as a new course because I'm usually good at a lot of the sports or games we play in it. The only thing I don't like is sweating a lot during the say and being stinky but usually those problems can be solved.
My school does P.E. by doing all sports that pretty much exist. Right now we are doing a timed obstacle course with multiple sports in it.

by YouCanCallMeCat on 5/30/2013 1:21:03 AM