5 HOURS AGO Boobs actually get flatter from sleeping on your belly—#FactOrFiction? http://t.co/7mzxaXpwC0

8 HOURS AGO Are you and your BFFL too much alike!? Take the #quiz, and see if you're stuck in the clone zone: http://t.co/BpmROLyNcN

9 HOURS AGO Sneak a peek at your future in this week's horoscopes: http://t.co/9XlQA9FGQg

COMMENTS

Weigh in: Does Facebook have a responsibility to police hate speech?

Earlier this week, activists took to social media and online petition sites to fight against hate speech--particularly the variety that arises on thematic Facebook pages...

if its like, facebook pages for hating and raping and that kind of thing, then yes, they should be able to ban those things. with the hate speech, I think some of this should be monitored too. if its horrible things that could seriously affect someone, I think it needs attention. I know one girl who went to my school started getting hateful messages on facebook from another girl who didn't like her, and ended up committing suicide. people just shouldn't be doing it, period.

by ladybugg on 8/11/2013 9:41:19 AM

There shouldnt be hateful things aimed against anyone or a group, and nothing is funny about rape. Some of the pics and videos on facebook and other sites are too mature for some of us younger teens but they are better than other sites that just have it everywhere.

But there shouldnt be too many limits, some places want to filter our ability to learn about safe sex and other things that we need to know about. Like my friend is having a baby boy and she wanted to learn about circumcision, and her school's filter didnt let her learn about it, at my school they didnt filter it so it wasnt a problem. So she just had to search at home but hateful stuff should be stopped.

by fashionqn on 6/1/2013 1:06:45 PM

Facebook should definetly have a policy againts hate! Things that are said on the internet are serious and are there forever. Internet hate has ruined lives.

by kenbon on 5/30/2013 6:50:44 PM

I think they should also take down 'dirty' pics on ig and facebook because it is GROSS!!

by #1partier on 5/29/2013 9:04:12 PM

At my school I always yell at people who joke about rape. You do not joke about that... A girl at my church her 13 year old (at the time) got raped and pregnant they never found the man that did that and they kept it. After that her bf dumped her and I hate when people joke about rape!! Period.

by #1partier on 5/29/2013 9:01:54 PM

They should monitor the videos that are being posted mor closely! Some are really badFrown

by girliegirl1314 on 5/29/2013 8:15:32 PM

Did they ever think about how they were affecting girls and women who have been raped?! They must be seriously offended by the fact it took so long for anyone to be called out for it! That's like having a page called "Doing Drugs is Great!!!". It's wrong and just plain stupid. Facebook, Twitter, and all those other sites need to quit encouraging this. It's not an option.

by brookek99 on 5/29/2013 8:15:10 PM

Rape is NOT a funny thing when your raped no matter how old you are
your virginity is stolen and your virginity is something you can't get back
it really makes me sick that people make rape to be a big joke it's not it can be traumatizing
I heard of some cases where the victim is just so shaken by the experience that they won't leave there home or if they do go out there really really shaky and can't function

by redvelvetluv on 5/29/2013 8:05:44 PM

hateful words are very hurtful..i think they should do something about this..all of the crazy things you read on facebook are insane!! im thinking about deleting mine..but at the end of the day, you can only control yourself..so we should all watch what we say online

by Kyra678 on 5/29/2013 7:59:38 PM

I think that these sites should definitely monitor this stuff! If there was a way to quickly and easily check it before it's post or quickly after.

by Goldforever on 5/29/2013 7:54:11 PM

So u guys know: today fb announced that after 15 companies threatened to pull their ads off the site, they will revise their hate speech policy. Fingers crossed!

by dragonsrox1000 on 5/29/2013 7:44:38 PM

They do need to start taking their monitoring a bit more seriously. I believe they have a system for it already, but I have reported many innappropriate pictures or pages. Even though I have done so, their response was always the same thing. It always said something like "this picture doesn't have anything wrong with it" but with more 'sophisticated' words

by momo12KC on 5/29/2013 4:13:40 PM

I don't use Facebook, but I do know there is a lot of hate speech on there. I doubt Facebook is going to be able to handle every comment with hate speech in it. There are too many people Facebook too. I think Facebook should be paying attention more to the under age users! Isn't Facebook like, 19+? There's 10 year olds using it!

by YouCanCallMeCat on 5/29/2013 3:52:01 PM

I think they should do stuff about this kind of stuff. Rape especially. It seems that now, rape is funny, or that's how media displays it. When in reality, it's life changing, and a horrible act against an innocent victim. It bothers me, and I'm glad other people agree

by hahaha2005 on 5/29/2013 1:37:54 PM