2 HOURS AGO Sleep easy: 5 tips to kick your night owl habits for good: http://t.co/xh0ax2dZEE

3 HOURS AGO Enter Miss Kitty Couture's Style Selfie contest to win an iPad mini and fab fashions!: http://t.co/VLEA1qtyxe

4 HOURS AGO Bring on the new month with a DIY calendar!: http://t.co/mNSrvdHjnm

COMMENTS

Chiefs. Braves. Redskins. Is it time to ban offensive school mascots?

Some mascots have been around so long, we forget that what they stand for isn’t always 100-percent P.C. Bulldogs? Fine. Hornets? Sure. But Chiefs? Redskins...

I think people are overreacting... I mean my school mascot is Native American Indian. I've never seen anything wrong with the nicknames because I guess that's how it's always been for me. No one really seems to get offended when given the nickname. I think we should just let it go.

by YouCanCallMeCat on 7/31/2013 4:28:52 PM

lol my school mascot is a dolphin

by awkobarbies on 7/30/2013 2:08:51 PM

I totally think that some mascots are offensive! They need to get a different one!

by xXSilver MonarchXx on 7/30/2013 7:38:09 AM

I think they can keep the names but they should more accurately portray native Americans.

by Chocogirl37 on 6/17/2013 8:49:29 PM

I'm part Native American and I love the Redskins..... ?

by audz1199 on 6/17/2013 8:40:28 PM

It is absolutely offensive. The term "redskins" is derogatory towards native Americans.The term "braves" is an American misinterpretation of native cultures.Even mascots add to stereotypes.

by arg5890 on 6/17/2013 8:20:05 PM

I think changing the names should definitely be considered. I understand that they aren't supposed to be offensive, but if you think about it, these team names are really the only names that describe a group of people by their skin color. Have you ever heard of a team called the Latinos? The Whites? The Blacks? The Asians? All of those would immediately be deemed racist. So why are the Chiefs, Braves, and Redskins acceptable names? Maybe it's difficult to change tradition, but politically correct terms change with time. And as the legal definition of equality is constantly growing, schools that continue to shout "Redskins! Redskins!" at sporting events will be considered backwards and offensive by many.

by coracat on 6/17/2013 7:45:58 PM

How is naming schools and teams offensive. i would find it honorable that people that are not native Americans want to honor the people who were here first by naming a team after them. I say that is more out of respect to the the Native Americans than offensive. My school is named after the Arapahoe tribe and the seniors visit them every two years and the other two years they visit our school. We hold a close bond and we respect them in turn we are allowed to use their tribe name for our school's name and our mascot is of an Native American that they designed themselves I believe.

by HockeyLuver on 6/17/2013 7:27:25 PM

I feel like people get offended by many things... Mascots aren't meant to offend people

by MLuvsYou on 6/17/2013 6:12:48 PM

I think Chiefs and Braves are fine, but I think Redskins could be considered racist. I don't like that one.

by 200625 on 6/17/2013 5:48:27 PM

For once I have to agree with the school system. It's just a mascot and since when is the name "chiefs" offensive? It's not singling out a certain Native American tribe. What about the Atlanta Braves, they're not a high school mascot, but they are a MLB team. I guess they'll have to change their name too.

by Em11ily on 6/17/2013 4:33:16 PM

My schools mascot is a deer lol

by cupcakecutie325 on 6/17/2013 4:27:02 PM

I don't see what the big deal is. My school is the Council Rock Indians and it isn't offense to the kids at my school. Sometimes there is a deeper meaning then just an Indian tribe reference. Our schools were named after council rock the meeting place of an Indian tribe. That is why we are the Indians. This complaint shouldn't be a concern. I mean kids don't think of it as an offense name, just there school name. The Department of Education shouldn't be troubled with something so stupid!
-Lizzierox