AN HOUR AGO #BookClub 5 books that get us excited for fall sports and activities!: http://t.co/yaPTH6Rj3x

2 HOURS AGO #ToughStuff: What to do when you can't stop hurting your hair: http://t.co/N6sM39vJpO

3 HOURS AGO #Quiz: Could you be @CodySimpson's girlfriend?: http://t.co/mlkP4If3iF

COMMENTS

My school nurse checked my back and said I might have scoliosis!

My school nurse checked my back and said I might have scoliosis! What does that mean and how did I get it? If your nurse...

This is gonna sound strange and I promise I'm not lying but sometimes when I'm laying in bed I feel like someone VERY strong is holding me down but there's no one in my room expect for me my cat my rabbit and guinea pig it literally feels like someone is holding me down or like I'm super glued to the bed also sometimes I get very dizzy like I'll be sitting with my three cats in my basement and get dizzy and this one time I was standing up in the basement and got real dizzy I thought I was gonna fall over my fats were meowing at me and when I sat down I sorta fell back down like someone pushed me into the sofa do you think I should be worried?

Helen S.

by redvelvetluv on 8/29/2013 7:21:44 PM

HEY!! Starting to fail school? Loosing everything? Join the club School Smarts for tips on school, organization and anything else at school! Check it out! Smile

by vummibear on 8/29/2013 6:07:32 PM

Mod Mod Mod!!!
How do you use a pad with wings, how long can you keep a pad in and what's ( I know everybody isn't the same) but like do you usually have a heavy, light or regular flow on the first day and then does is get heavier or lighter and ect. Thanks!!! Smile

Hey girl! Wrap thing wings around the sides of your underwear so they are stuck to the outside.  You can wear a pad until it gets full, usually periods are heaviest in the middle of your period, but start with a regular flow pad until you get the hang of what you're like personally.  xoxo

Kate G.

by Sarah510 on 8/29/2013 3:04:53 PM

Mod Mod Mod PLEASE answer right away! So it's the 29th today. July 28th I THOUGHT I got my period because I just had a small red dot in my undies about the size of a dime. I put a pad in and I had a little trickle of blood after that, but now its' the 29th, so a month and a day later and I didn't get anything yesterday but when I woke up I went to the bathroom and I had a liner in and there was nothing in the liner and I peed and nothing was funny there, but then when I wiped my vagina area there was blood so I put a pad in but I haven't gotten any blood on the pad yet and it's been almost an hour... any tips?? DO I have my period?

Hey girl! It's pretty normal at the beginning of your period for things to be light and a little unpredictable.  Keep the panty liner on just in case and don't worry too mich about it! xoxo

Kate G.

by Sarah510 on 8/29/2013 9:46:20 AM

MOD MOD MO
i'm 13 yesterday i went shopping with my friend and bought a pair of leggings, she recommended me to get a few thongs so that i wouldn't have painty lines, so i bought a few ones that were one sale. I haven't worn them yet because i want my moms opinion because i know some parents think they're too 'sexual'. what would be a good way to ask if she would let me wear them and sound mature?
thanks xx

Hey girl! Explain it to your mom exactly how you explained it to me! xoxo

Kate G.

by aleadawn on 8/28/2013 4:23:09 PM

Mod Mod Mod, my boobs have been really itchy lately and i have tried not itching but i cant resist it and when i had a bath they were red and now they arent as bad but they are still a bit itchy. whats wrong with them. I told my mum and she just told me to put some cream on them.

Hey girl! That's good advice from your mom- your skin is probably just very dry.  Your bra also might be the problem- switch to a new one and wash the one you've been wearing- it might be irritating your skin.  xoxo

Kate G.

by smileyfaces:)XD on 8/28/2013 2:57:42 PM

MOD MOD MOD PLEASE ANSWER THIS IS SERIOUS!!!!
SO about a week ago my friend told me she started cutting over the summer. I didn't really see her that much but she said she was bullied a lot and that made her start. I don't know if she'll stop because school started or something but I'm really worried that she won't because in gym class I saw her arm and there were cuts on it! She swore me to secrecy but I told a friend and swore him on his life and I don't think he would tell anyway. Should I wait and check to see if she stops every so often by looking at her arms or should I tell someone because I think its cyberbullying and that never really stops + I read that cutting turns into a habit. PLEASE ANSWER!!!!

Hey girl, Cutting turns into a habit very quickly, and although checkin in on your friend is a nice thing to do, the best thing is to get her help.  Tell a teacher, a guidance counselor, or one of your parents.  xoxo

Kate G.

by kewauneegal on 8/27/2013 9:49:59 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD
Do u know any feet strengthening exercises? Im starting up dance again (3-11 and starting again at 13) and my feet can barely hold me up for 30 seconds and thts in flats. Do u have any exercises that can restrengthen our feet??

Hey yannarox, try sitting down with your legs extended straight in front of you, with them touching. Bend your feet forward and backward, and roll them around in circles. Do this for a couple of minutes everyday and see if you notice any improvement. Hope this helps! Xoxo Smile

Lynae P.

by yannarox on 8/27/2013 7:37:43 PM

by Emilicious on 8/26/2013 11:36:43 PM

It will stop you from playing any contact sport(football). I have scoliosis, it's not the worst thing that could happen but its not pleasant.

by gizmo001155 on 8/26/2013 11:35:56 PM

I had, well I still have scoliosis. My mom thinks I got it from both sides of the family. From my mom's sister and my dad's grandma. I took multiple x-rays and even went in an MRI. My spine was curved and my doctor said I have scoliosis. I went to physical therapy, but I stopped going for some unknown reason and I had to wear a body brace for twenty hours a day for three years. I did it for the first two years then I just got lazy and didn't do it the last year. So the results, I still have scoliosis, but it doesn't cause my body to lean to one side when I stand up and it's not really noticeable. Thank God!!!

by lovebeingme on 8/26/2013 11:12:47 PM

my sister had scoliosis and the brace didn't help.. no doctors did. but a local chiropractor helped her back and now her back is almost perfectly staright.... soo the brace didn't do ANYTHING. the doctors didn't wanna admit it but it was true. lol but it was cool

by fashiongirl43 on 8/26/2013 5:27:19 PM

I have had scoliosis since I was born

by fiza_shahid on 8/26/2013 4:45:17 PM

My school nurse is dumb, I wouldn't believe everything they say without a doctor.

by koolkatmn on 8/26/2013 12:51:56 PM

I have scoliosis. I had to get an xray and now I have to go to a spine Doctor.

by Shelby Love on 8/26/2013 12:27:01 PM

i have a 35 degree curve in scoliosis, and i have to wear a brace, ive been wearing it throughout the whole summer but im nervous about changing in the lockerroom. any tips?

Hey chica! Wear a tank top over it if you feel shy about it.  Chances are someone might notice, and if anyone asks, feel free to just tell people you need a brace for your back- they don't need to know any more than that if you don't want them to.  xoxo

Kate G.

by clll4321 on 8/26/2013 9:46:19 AM

My sister had scoliosis and i have mild scoliosis but my sister's was awful. She had to wear a night brace for 6 months leading up to her surgery. The surgery was to insert a "tether", which is a contraption that the taller you grow, the more it pulls your spine and corrects the scoliosis. For 5 months after the surgery, she had to wear a day brace and a night brace, and for those 5 months the doctor's and surgeon's orders were to not jump, run, twist, bend down, or do excersise. Sometimes the pain from wearing the brace was so bad that she would have to take 3 pain pills at a time! Now that those awful 5 months are over, she can do whatever she wants, but still has to wear the night brace and is not allowed to jump on trampolines. All of the doctors, nurses, offices, hospitals, ect. have been very helpful in her recovery. I am thankful that my curve is mild! p.s. thank you to whoever read the whole thing! good job Smile

by swimchickliz on 8/26/2013 8:54:51 AM

Mod Mod Mod!!! The skin on/under my eyebrow is peeling A LOT. I've put moisturizers on it ; but they just make me look like I have MAJOR dandruff in my eyebrows. I've been using a face cleanser and trying to scrub it off but IT WON'T STOP PEELING. IT'S BEEN PEELING FOR LIKE FIVE DAYS STRAIGHT. I can't stop picking it either. And my picture day is THIS Tuesday and my first day of school is the TUESDAY after that and I don't want to LOOK like I have dandruff in my eyebrows. PLEASE help!!!!

Hey Sarah510, mhmm. Try putting hydro-cortizone, aloe vera or cocoa butter on your eyebrows. Even a little bit of olive oil (cooking or lotion) may help. Let me know if anything works. Xoxo Smile

Lynae P.

by Sarah510 on 8/25/2013 10:06:26 PM

I have severe scoliosis,(had surgery) but most people have it mild enough that you don't need to do anything to it. If a nurse found it in a routine check- so you didn't notice pain or have weird posture from it- I'd bet its pretty mild. You might have to wear a brace which prevents it from getting worse. It's good that you caught it younger though b/c that can make it easier to prevent progression. I can play sports (lacrosse, swim, volleyball), play instruments (flute, saxophone, etc.) fine. It's something you live with but I barely notice it.

by beaversanddandelions44 on 8/25/2013 8:56:06 PM

I have scoliosis and I've had a brace for almost two years and I'll be getting it off soon. Bracing isn't very enjoyable, but sometimes it needs to be done. My doctors say that you stop growing (for the most part) two years after your first period, so that's when you can get your brace off. But anyways, don't panic. If you're going through puberty now and the doctors don't expect the curve to grow, you have nothing to worry about.

by glgirl1199 on 8/25/2013 8:52:26 PM

by glgirl1199 on 8/25/2013 8:52:17 PM

MOD MOD MOD I rlly wana do contact boxing but wenever i ask my parents they say, "You mean like geting punched in the face???? No WAY!!!" They r ok with me doing noncontact boxing but iv been doing it a while and i rlly wana do contact boxing. I hav even found a nice looking gym near us. What should i do??

Hey girlie, keep up the noncontact boxing from now. When you get really good at it and a little bit older then talk to your parents again.

Lauren T.

by Ash166 on 8/25/2013 8:04:15 PM

I have to wear a scoliosis brace Frown

by HappySunshine on 8/25/2013 7:54:54 PM

I have scoliosis and I had to wear a back brace for about four years. It sucked a lot and it was awkward and embarrassing tbh.

by carinaamina on 8/25/2013 7:52:24 PM

The school nurse thought the same thing about me, because my shoulders are uneven. But that has absolutely nothing to do with my spine, and even though we got it checked out with an x-ray, my family and doctor had all pretty much figured out that I might fail the test beforehand. My right leg grew about a centimeter longer than my right- enough so I put more weight on it and it throws off my alignment a bit, but not enough to do anything. My Dad has the same thing. Get it checked out, but it's possible that it could be nothing or just something weird, not a problem. It's not worth it to stress unless you get the x-ray and it does turn out that something needs to be done.

by Pauline07 on 8/25/2013 7:42:50 PM

I have scoliosis, and I disagree with the last sentence of this article, because if an activity is one-sided, like tennis,badminton or baseball (playing in gym class is okay),and playing the flute or violin, where you are constantly leaning to one side it can cause the curve to deepen and get a lot worse. I had a friend who had to have surgery because her very mild scoliosis got really bad from tennis and playing the flute. Lauren T.

by Pinkcupcakekitties on 8/25/2013 6:33:45 PM

I went to my peditrication a little bit ago and when she took a look at my back when I bent over to touch my toes she said I might have scoliosis,too. Most people ( or at least that I know of) people who go get X-Rays to check, like I did, don't end up having it. I don't. My friend does and she has to wear a brace during the day, but not during sleeping or being active. Don't worry ; I'm sure you're fine!!!!! Smile

by Sarah510 on 8/25/2013 6:10:27 PM