MAKE IT CUTE
The best hot chocolate recipe ever is a piece of cake
Makes eight 8-ounce cakes
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
½ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
¼ cup hot-chocolate mix
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup coffee, at room temperature
2 cups whipped cream
1. Preheat the oven to 300°. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, hot-chocolate mix, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, olive oil and coffee.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, a third at a time, whisking to incorporate between each addition.
4. Arrange eight 8-ounce Mason jars on a sheet tray and carefully pour 1/2 cup batter into each jar. Place the tray in the oven and bake the cakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven. Top each cake with the whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder. Serve warm.