This is a delicious, fill-you-up ten minute breakfast but it’s too messy to eat on the bus. So eat it in your dad’s car. (Just kidding.)
What You'll Need: Serves 1 - Vegetarian
1 whole wheat flour tortilla
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 green onion
1/4 grated cheddar, Muenster, or pepper jack (or your favorite cheese)
1 tablespoon salsa
Optional: diced tomato, sliced avocado, chopped cilantro
What You'll Do:
1. Scramble the egg in a small mixing bowl using a fork or whisk. Chop the green onion into thin circles and add to the egg.
2. Grate the cheese and set aside on a plate. Chop or slice any other ingredients. (Slice a tomato into half-inch slices; then dice one slice. Cut open an avocado and pull apart. Slice quarter-inch slices across the avocado, then use a soup spoon to remove the slices.)
3. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for about 30 seconds. Place the tortilla in the skillet for about 15 seconds, then turn it over and heat the other side for about 15 seconds just so the tortilla softens. Put it on the kitchen counter and cover with a clean dishtowel to keep it warm.
4. Put the oil into the hot skillet. When it’s hot, spread it around with the turner, then pour in the eggs. Stir until they’re cooked completely. (You no longer see any runny stuff.)
5. Remove the pan from the burner immediately. Place the tortilla on the plate. Spoon the eggs down the center of the tortilla, almost to the ends. Sprinkle with cheese and any other of the ingredients that you wanted to add.
6. Spoon on the salsa (and sour cream if you’re using it), roll up the tortilla, and cut it in half for easier eating.
Other Ideas: Feel free to add what you like; sautéed sweet pepper strips or sliced mushrooms, leftover cooked veggies, or sliced black olives. (Heat the vegetables in the skillet before you begin making the burrito. Put them on your plate and cover with foil until you need them.)
Small mixing bowl
Measuring cups, spoons
Wooden or plastic turner
Large, non-stick skillet
By: Anne Vassal