FAB UP YOUR LIFE
We're swooning over this homemade queso dip
Looking to add a li'l Mexican restaurant flair to any get-together? All your guests will be saying "OMG YUM!" when they taste this ooey, cheesy, melted goodness. Try this simple recipe to wow your gals now:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2-1/2 cups or 20 servings (2 tbsp each)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of whipped cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 3 small cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 can of Rotel Original with diced tomatoes and green chilies
- up to 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro, to taste
1. In a medium pot, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter over low heat. Add minced garlic and shallot and saute for a minute or until starting to soften and garlic is starting to turn golden.
2. Add the can of Ro*tel to the pot and cook for a minute or two more. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the pot and melt. Whisk in flour and stir continuously for a couple of minutes until it bubbles creating a roux and turns golden brown. Gradually whisk in the heavy cream, pausing between additions to make sure that lumps are smoothing out.
4. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. While continuously stirring, bring mixture to a low simmer and cook for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
5. Remove pot from heat and add 1/2 cup grated cheese to cream mixture and stir until completely melted.
6. Repeat with the remaining cheese, adding 1/2 cup at a time and making sure it is totally melted before adding the next 1/2 cup.
7. Add salt, garlic/jalapeño/shallot/tomato mixture, and sour cream. Stir until well incorporated.
8. Taste and add additional salt, if desired.
9. Transfer queso to a fancy serving bowl, and top with as much cilantro as you want. Enjoy!
So what did your girlies think? Was it a total hit? Share in the comments below!