FAB UP YOUR LIFE
Applesauce Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
These cupcakes are still a sweet treat but have a few healthy ingredients so you can feel better about indulging. You can even try out your own fave spices and turn this recipe into your own special secret. Plus, applesauce is so perf for fall.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup plain yogurt diluted a bit with milk, or 1/4 cup of buttermilk
8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, at room temperature
½ cup unsalted butter (one stick), at room temperature
1 teaspoon teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
3. Beat butter until light, add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition. Add the vanilla and the applesauce and beat until smooth.
4. Mix in half of the dry ingredients. Just before they are blended, add the thinned yogurt (or buttermilk). Then mix in the rest of the dry ingredients, until completely incorporated. Do not over-mix.
5. Fill muffin cups about two thirds full of the batter.
6. Place in the middle rack of the 375°F oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until done. The cupcakes should spring back to the touch, and a toothpick or thin skewer should come out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool.
1. Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar and mix until combined. 3. Once cupcakes are cool, apply frosting.