This workout from a top boxer babe will *totally* kick your butt
Cardio doesn't always get the greatest rep, from dragging on the dreadmill to running the timed mile in P.E. class. Luckily, though, it doesn't *have* to be boring. Kickboxing is an awesome way to build strength and cardiovascular endurance...not to mention, it's super empowering and the best stress reliever. And you don't have to join a gym or even leave your house to do it!
We asked the fierce fighters over at Church Street Boxing in NYC to help us get our gloves (and our sweat on) with an exclusive workout *just* for our GL girls. Created by trainer Andrea Paloian, it's the perfect routine to tone up your whole bod while letting off steam.
Before you begin:
Start with a quick warmup: 20 jumping jacks, 10 push-ups (modify if necessary) and 10 squats. Repeat this cycle until you feel like your muscles have loosened up a little and you’ve started to break a bit of a sweat. Don't forget to stretch, too, by doing a few leg swings and arm circles.
Find your fighting stance:
If you are a righty, you will have your left foot in front to keep your dominant side in the back for your power strikes (do the opposite if you're a lefty). Start with both feet directly below your hips and take a step straight back with your right foot. Then angle your toes slightly—about 15 degrees—to the right. Look at your feet and imagine a straight line drawn down the middle. Your front toes should be on one side of the line, and your back heel should be on the other. Keep your knees soft and hands up by your face, looking over the top of your fists.
Practice shuffling in each direction, then pick up the pace and try to find a rhythm. Do this for 2 minutes then go directly into a plank position and hold for 1 minute.
Repeat the following cycles for 3 minutes.
- Shuffle forward – jab – cross – shuffle back
- Shuffle forward – jab – cross – left hook – right hook – shuffle back
- Shuffle forward – jab – cross – left hook – right hook – left uppercut – right uppercut – shuffle back
- 5 burpees
Rest 30 seconds
- Shuffle forward – jab – cross – left roundhouse kick – shuffle back
- Shuffle forward – jab – cross – left hook – right hook – left roundhouse kick – shuffle back
- Shuttle forward – jab – cross – left uppercut – right uppercut – left roundhouse kick – shuffle back
- 10 squats
Rest 30 seconds
- Shuffle forward – left front kick – jab – cross – right front kick – shuffle right
- Shuffle forward – left front kick – right roundhouse kick – right front kick – left roundhouse kick – shuffle back
- Shuffle forward – left front kick – right front kick – jab – cross – left hook – right hook – left uppercut – right uppercut – left roundhouse kick – right roundhouse kick (put it all together!)
- 10 pushups
Have you ever done kickboxing? Let us know if you like it in the comments!
Photo credit: Reebox Instagram.