DAY 2: Unplug
1. Done surfing the web? Turn off your comp or laptop. Don’t stop there—phone chargers, iPod chargers, blow dryers, curling irons—if you’re not using a gadget, pull the plug!
2. Leavin’ a trail of lights as you romp through the house? Don’t forget to hit the lights on your way out. Only in the kitchen for a hot second? Why even bother turning them on, ya know where everything is.
3. Sunny skies are finally here, meaning? You can plow through spaces without flipping the switch. Open up the blinds and try to use natural sunlight as much as possible.
4. Shut off the sink or tub when you’re brushing your teeth or shaving. You’ll save gallons of water in just one morning!
Turning off the tap while you brush your teeth can save 8 gallons per day. –epa.gov
5. Fuh-reezing? Before ya touch that dial on your thermostat, cozy up with your comfy hoody. Layers are so in, especially when they help the environment.
6. Dying for an after-school snack? Don’t idol in front of the fridge with door open. Figure out what you want and then grab it.
7. Nix dishes ya cook up in the oven (they take forever and use up tons o’ energy). Instead, get instant dishes in the microwave—faster, easier, less mess!
8. Melting away on a hot summer’s day? Plop open those windows for a cool breeze, or chow down on a yummy ice-cold treat. Mmm!
9. Turn off the tube and head outdoors, couch potato. Ya not only give your energy bills a break, but you’ll feel recharged drinkin’ in the fresh air and burnin’ off those calories with fun filled activities.
10. Change up for a cause! Consult with the ‘rents and upgrade to compact fluorescent lights or energy-saving lightbulbs (they look like spirals) all throughout your home.
If every U.S. household replaced just one incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb, we would reduce global warming pollution by an amount equivalent to taking more than 800,000 cars off the road. –epa.gov
11. Challenge your sibs or yourself to shorter showers. Cutting time conserves water and hello? gives ya more time to catch a few extra zzz’s.
Find out more ways to do your part:
A green thumb gal with ways to get our earth back on track? Share it now!